Rutgers Newark

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Bigbub75

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby Bigbub75 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:31 pm

bjf wrote:Does R-N have an admitted students site?

They don't. Most of the updates and info come via email.

TUhustler

Postby TUhustler » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:04 pm

Does anyone else find it funny that Rutgers-Newark states on the invite to the open house that parking is $10? I mean when DePaul is sending admits t-shirts, Syracuse sends t-shirts and car decals and rutgers camden sends t-shirts, just to name a few, Rutgers-Newark doesn't even waive parking. I know it's only $10 and in the grand scheme of how much law school costs it isn't much, but I still find it weird.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:17 pm

Hi guys! I am starting to lean heavily back towards Rutgers. (I was almost certain that I would go to UConn but now I'm just not sure...) I am planning to visit both UConn and RU-Newark in the next few weeks, and I'm excited to see how the two schools strike me. Anyway, I thought I would just check in to say hi! :)

EDIT: Also, can anyone tell me what the fees/cost of living breakdown is at Rutgers? I can see their tuition costs on their website but can't find the CoL numbers. Thanks.

Mullyman

Postby Mullyman » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:25 pm

Does anybody know if scholarship info is sent with acceptance package or is it mailed separately? -Thanks-

bklyngreenlp

Postby bklyngreenlp » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:42 pm

Burger in a can wrote:Hi guys! I am starting to lean heavily back towards Rutgers. (I was almost certain that I would go to UConn but now I'm just not sure...) I am planning to visit both UConn and RU-Newark in the next few weeks, and I'm excited to see how the two schools strike me. Anyway, I thought I would just check in to say hi! :)

Burger - I'm also planning a visit to Rutgers in mid-March. I just made arrangements with school, as I wasn't able to attend any of the admitted student days. I really need to get a better feel for the Newark campus and I'd like to speak with some current students. Rutgers is near the top of my list...I heart the metro-NYC area and the tuition is less than half of what all of the NYC schools cost just over the Hudson.

I’ve confirmed visits with three other NYC schools and one in Philly during the same time period, so I hope to get a sense of where I’ll be next year.

nyjfanjmk

Postby nyjfanjmk » Mon Feb 22, 2010 3:47 pm

Hey Burger, as someone who's in at Rutgers-Newark and waiting to hear back from UConn (top choice at this point), I'm curious to hear why you're leaning back towards RU.

Also I'm curious to know, for anyone who's probably going to be attending Rutgers-Newark next year, where are you planning on living? I'm thinking about Hoboken if I go, and would love to know if anyone else actually does that. It seems like it would be a little more expensive than Newark or Jersey City, but well worth it given the proximity to New York and the social scene.

king3780

Postby king3780 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:27 pm

Burger in a can wrote:Hi guys! I am starting to lean heavily back towards Rutgers. (I was almost certain that I would go to UConn but now I'm just not sure...) I am planning to visit both UConn and RU-Newark in the next few weeks, and I'm excited to see how the two schools strike me. Anyway, I thought I would just check in to say hi! :)

EDIT: Also, can anyone tell me what the fees/cost of living breakdown is at Rutgers? I can see their tuition costs on their website but can't find the CoL numbers. Thanks.

http://law.newark.rutgers.edu/admission ... ition-fees

It gives you a number which includes tuition and the tuition by itself, so you can subtract to get how much you have to spend on housing/food/etc.

bitlrc

Postby bitlrc » Mon Feb 22, 2010 4:28 pm

Mullyman wrote:Does anybody know if scholarship info is sent with acceptance package or is it mailed separately? -Thanks-

not sure about newark, but camdem included it in my acceptance email and then in the original admit packet as well.

baboon309

Postby baboon309 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:53 pm

bitlrc wrote:
Mullyman wrote:Does anybody know if scholarship info is sent with acceptance package or is it mailed separately? -Thanks-

not sure about newark, but camdem included it in my acceptance email and then in the original admit packet as well.

I got mine with acceptance package

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:56 pm

I'll probably be going to the info session this Friday (gotta see how Friday goes with my work stuff). Will report any info back :). (I'm probably going to the Pitt ASD on the 26th and I can go to Rutgers any time). BTW, my dad drove by the law building on Saturday and said it's really nice :).

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:44 am

nyjfanjmk wrote:Hey Burger, as someone who's in at Rutgers-Newark and waiting to hear back from UConn (top choice at this point), I'm curious to hear why you're leaning back towards RU.

Well, first of all, Rutgers offered me 18k/year and UConn did not offer me a merit scholarship. The in-state tuition at RU plus that scholarship means that UConn would cost a little more than 6 times as much, even with my CT state residency. That was enough to get me to take another look at the schools' websites, employment stats, etc. I love my state, but based solely upon their website and promotional material, UConn just doesn't seem as interesting as Rutgers. Both seem to have comparable employment potential in their respective regional markets (NJ and CT, not NYC) and I suspect that there are more jobs for lawyers in New Jersey. I'll obviously have a better feel for both schools after I visit...

Jerzeegirl

Postby Jerzeegirl » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:14 pm

I submitted my application late December, and I went complete January 12th. Anyone else complete for this long? I'm tempted to e-mail them. I'm under review at schools that I applied to in late January, and not a peep from Rutgers-Newark or Camden. Just curious if anyone else is in the same boat.

renee15

Postby renee15 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:20 pm

Jerzeegirl wrote:I submitted my application late December, and I went complete January 12th. Anyone else complete for this long? I'm tempted to e-mail them. I'm under review at schools that I applied to in late January, and not a peep from Rutgers-Newark or Camden. Just curious if anyone else is in the same boat.

I went complete around the same time for Rutgers and they got back to me around the 2nd or 3rd week in January. However, I still have applications out at other schools where I have not heard a peep. I would e-mail them. I did that with UMaine, and I wound up with my decision that afternoon...so it probably wouldn't hurt.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:31 pm

Jerzeegirl wrote:I submitted my application late December, and I went complete January 12th. Anyone else complete for this long? I'm tempted to e-mail them. I'm under review at schools that I applied to in late January, and not a peep from Rutgers-Newark or Camden. Just curious if anyone else is in the same boat.

I haven't heard from Camden yet. I've been waiting on them too, because that's more of my ideal (I can live in Philly and not go to law school "at home" and still get a job in NJ). They are probably holding for my LSAT but because they don't have a status checker it's harder to stay updated.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Feb 25, 2010 1:43 pm

If anyone is planning on visiting soon (like at the student-run tour tomorrow at 11:30) it would be great to hear about it on this thread!

msv5010

Postby msv5010 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:01 pm

Plan on going next Friday. If I do I'll give an update Friday afternoon.

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:08 pm

I was planning on going on the tour tomorrow. However, I just received an e-mail warning that it might be cancelled due to all the snow. Jersey's just a winter wonderland this year! Seriously though... I'm getting sick oh having to dig my car out of the driveway every other week.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:23 pm

I'm probably going to go on March 8th for the class/talk at night.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:54 pm

My terrible work schedule prevents me from attending ANY of the events on the calendar, so I will have to visit on my own time in the next few weeks, and depend heavily on you guys for extra info. :)

P.S. I have been reading up on RU-N, and I have to say that I am increasingly interested/excited about this place!

bjf

Postby bjf » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:13 pm

Burger in a can wrote:My terrible work schedule prevents me from attending ANY of the events on the calendar, so I will have to visit on my own time in the next few weeks, and depend heavily on you guys for extra info. :)

P.S. I have been reading up on RU-N, and I have to say that I am increasingly interested/excited about this place!

+1 to both. I hope I'm accepted!

renee15

Postby renee15 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 2:57 pm

So i just got my initial offer from the Fin. Aid office....woohoo one step closer. Anyone else receive theirs? I put on my FAFSA that I am planning to live off campus but on the letter they sent me it says that they "assume I will be living on campus". I know you get in-state if you sign a 12 month lease on-campus, but from what I understand, I believe you get in-state if you sign a 12 mo. lease anywhere in NJ. Am I correct on this? I think I will call the office on Monday to make sense of it...not sure how negotiable any of this is.

king3780

Postby king3780 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 4:02 pm

renee15 wrote:So i just got my initial offer from the Fin. Aid office....woohoo one step closer. Anyone else receive theirs? I put on my FAFSA that I am planning to live off campus but on the letter they sent me it says that they "assume I will be living on campus". I know you get in-state if you sign a 12 month lease on-campus, but from what I understand, I believe you get in-state if you sign a 12 mo. lease anywhere in NJ. Am I correct on this? I think I will call the office on Monday to make sense of it...not sure how negotiable any of this is.

You are correct on getting in state tuition with a 12 month lease anywhere in NJ.

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:10 pm

renee15 wrote:So i just got my initial offer from the Fin. Aid office....woohoo one step closer. Anyone else receive theirs? I put on my FAFSA that I am planning to live off campus but on the letter they sent me it says that they "assume I will be living on campus". I know you get in-state if you sign a 12 month lease on-campus, but from what I understand, I believe you get in-state if you sign a 12 mo. lease anywhere in NJ. Am I correct on this? I think I will call the office on Monday to make sense of it...not sure how negotiable any of this is.

I received mine as well. They also threw in the line about assuming I'm living on campus, even though I said I was planning on living off campus.

renee15

Postby renee15 » Sun Feb 28, 2010 6:18 pm

mhd08 wrote:

I received mine as well. They also threw in the line about assuming I'm living on campus, even though I said I was planning on living off campus.

Ah OK...I guess that is the standard letter they send to everyone.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Sun Feb 28, 2010 9:28 pm

I got the same letter, same line about housing. I assumed that they give that line to people who aren't (yet) NJ residents? I wouldn't worry about it though- that's just the 'initial offer' letter, and basically all it means is "if you come to rutgers, we can offer you something in this ballpark for fed. loans."

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”