Rutgers Newark

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bjf

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby bjf » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:17 pm

Just wanted to check in and say hi. I'm pretty much set on Rutgers, unless by some miracle I get accepted at Fordham. My app is complete and I'm waiting to hear (applied PT). *Crosses fingers*

renee15

Postby renee15 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:18 pm

keg411 wrote:
renee15 wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:
renee15 wrote:Burger,

How long did it take for UConn to get back to you?

They are wicked slow. I went complete in mid/late November and got the decision on 2/4. Good luck! :)

I have a feeling it is going to be a long time before I hear from UConn, and I think that I am leaning toward Rutgers anyways...for various reasons (both schools will wind up being the same price...since I hear it is farily easy to get in-state for Rutgers and I can get the New England rate for UConn). My boyfriend lives and works in NY already, and I am going to be living with him, so if I go to Rutgers he already has a job. Also, I am selling my car (i still owe $ on it), and I have a feeling it is easier to get around NJ/NY w/o a car tahn it is to get around Hartford. In the end, I have a feeling I am going to wind up in NJ.

You want to have a car in NJ. Trust me. The only way you can deal without a car is if you want a "backwards" commute and you and your bf live in the city and you take the train in.

Trust me I know it is going to be tough..I have had a car since the age of 17...going to be a tough adjustment. BUT the good thing is my boyfriend has a car so I won't be without a car 100% of the time (thankfully...I intend on finding a hockey team to play on and I cant take my equipment on the train!). I am thinking about looking for an apartment in Jersey City...preferably near the train...how do you think that commute would be? Who knows...maybe he can drop me off at school before work :)

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:26 pm

There are a couple of PATH trains in JC which will take you to Newark and your bf to NY for a pretty cheap price. You may have to take the lightrail or a shuttle from the PATH, but don't quote me on that since I'm not quite sure of the relation to the Newark PATH train to the school.

Gunz353

Postby Gunz353 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:31 pm

There is a lightrail system that goes from Newark Penn Station through Rutgers...it appears to be very quick and efficient.

Burger in a can

Postby Burger in a can » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:32 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote:Hey guys!

I applied back in november (the 18th, to be exact) and I got an e-mail almost a month ago saying i've been deferred. I've also already sent an LOCI and even informed them that I have been admitted to CLEO, etc.?

do you think being deferred is a good sign? and how would you gauge my chances?

3.0/162/URM (black)

Frankly, I am shocked that you weren't accepted to begin with. Your LSAT is really, really good for Rutgers, and your URM status should obviously be a huge boost... I actually wouldn't be surprised if they deferred you because of yield protection, because you could probably get in to even better schools. Anyway, I think your chances are excellent! Good luck!

gezwho

Postby gezwho » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:13 pm

So has anyone else noticed that the people in the admissions office are unnecessarily abrupt? lol

engineered madness

Postby engineered madness » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:20 pm

Has anyone, who had been "waitlisted", heard anything yet?

Is anyone familiar with Rutgers-Newark "waitlist" in terms of timetable after being waitlisted?

bitlrc

Postby bitlrc » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:21 pm

gezwho wrote:So has anyone else noticed that the people in the admissions office are unnecessarily abrupt? lol

you realize the school is in NJ, right?

king3780

Postby king3780 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:27 pm

bitlrc wrote:
gezwho wrote:So has anyone else noticed that the people in the admissions office are unnecessarily abrupt? lol

you realize the school is in NJ, right?

TITCR. The admissions department is filled with fairly nice and patient people... by NJ standards.

inSouthAmerica

Postby inSouthAmerica » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:32 pm

engineered madness wrote:you realize the school is in NJ, right?

can't wait to get back to abrupt.

Rutgers1L_10

Postby Rutgers1L_10 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 11:46 pm

engineered madness wrote:Has anyone, who had been "waitlisted", heard anything yet?

Is anyone familiar with Rutgers-Newark "waitlist" in terms of timetable after being waitlisted?

I know of 3-4 people that got off the wait list last year between around May-June timeframe. As people get offers to other schools they drop Rutgers leaving a few more spots.

@gezwho-sorry if you had a bad experience. Actually, the admissions office folks, and Dean Walton are some of the nicest around. This is a really busy time. Lots of apps, open houses, ASW, and all that to keep the on edge. But once you're admitted you won't have any interaction with them anyway ;-)

brunbrun

Postby brunbrun » Mon Feb 15, 2010 11:07 pm

accepted today via email! So excited :)

bjf

Postby bjf » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:14 am

brunbrun wrote:accepted today via email! So excited :)

Congrats! When did you go complete?

renee15

Postby renee15 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:25 am

congrats! Is anyone here going March 26th? I have already taken the day off from work to go. I have not actually visited the school (or any school for that matter...I am kind of winging it..I don't have much vacation time left).

On a side note...what does anyone here think of Syracuse? They gave me a lot of $$$ granted I keep a 2.8. It would make it $7,000 cheaper than Rutgers. I am still really leaning toward Rutgers but I honestly did not expect as much $ as I recieved from Syracuse. Do you guys think Rutgers is worth the extra $7,000? I also do not have much of a desire to live and practice in upstate NY...Just figured I would ask for anyone two cents.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:36 am

I'm not going on the 26th (I'll probably be going to Pitt's ASD then), but I'm going to go to one of the Friday evening sessions in Feb/March. I'll just try to get out of work a little early and drive over.

As for Syracuse with $, it's your choice. I know Rutgers has far better placement than 'Cuse, but the money may be too good to pass up if you are open to practicing in Western NY as opposed to NJ. See what happens when you visit both.

renee15

Postby renee15 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:05 pm

keg411 wrote:I'm not going on the 26th (I'll probably be going to Pitt's ASD then), but I'm going to go to one of the Friday evening sessions in Feb/March. I'll just try to get out of work a little early and drive over.

As for Syracuse with $, it's your choice. I know Rutgers has far better placement than 'Cuse, but the money may be too good to pass up if you are open to practicing in Western NY as opposed to NJ. See what happens when you visit both.

Thanks for the imput. Job placement is pretty important to me. They gave me a large amount of $ but Syracuse is so expensive anyways..like I said..I would be borrowing an extra $21,000 for Rutgers, which in the long run, I will need a job to pay back no matter where I go and I may have a better chance at landing a job at Rutgers. They both seem like a bargain compared to what I borrowed for undergrad! haha But job placement and location is why I am leaning heavily toward Rutgers still. I am open to western NY but not too jazzed about it.

msv5010

Postby msv5010 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:44 pm

I plan on going on the 26th. I have been trying to plan a visit for a while but I can't go on a Monday or Wednesday because of classes and those are the days of the small group meetings where you attend classes and interact with faculty. I'd really like to experience a class and I'm not sure if they have any available on the 26th, but it seems like its a worth going to anyway.

ATOIsp07

Postby ATOIsp07 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:02 pm

Rutgers or American? American is higher ranked and in a major legal market but Rutgers is cheaper and does have decent NY connections.

What say you guys?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:11 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote:Rutgers or American? American is higher ranked and in a major legal market but Rutgers is cheaper and does have decent NY connections.

What say you guys?

If you are aiming for DC and aren't debt adverse, go to American. If you are cheap and don't mind NJ, go to Rutgers. If you haven't visited, check both out and see where you would rather be. NJ isn't for everyone and honestly it will take some leg work to get out of NJ with the degree (yes, it places a bit in NYC, but there is a LOT of competition for NYC jobs).

I live very close to Rutgers and I'm kind of sick of the board in general planting dreams of NYC in people's heads when they talk about the area T2's. Rutgers is a Jersey school and anyone who goes there should expect to practice in NJ not NYC. As Rutgers_1L said, getting a job takes legwork. However, if you are PI-oriented Rutgers does extremely well and it is a very, very, very diverse school.

inSouthAmerica

Postby inSouthAmerica » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:30 pm

i'm deciding between rutgers newark with 8k extra and probably commuter vs. temple at full price. is this even a question? leaning newark.

mhd08

Postby mhd08 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:46 pm

inSouthAmerica wrote:i'm deciding between rutgers newark with 8k extra and probably commuter vs. temple at full price. is this even a question? leaning newark.

Personally, I would never pay sticker for Temple, especially with a scholarship to Rutgers. I think that's what most people will tell you. They're both regional schools and unless you have to be in Philly for some reason, I don't think there should be any question about Rutgers.

renee15

Postby renee15 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:59 pm

mhd08 wrote:
inSouthAmerica wrote:i'm deciding between rutgers newark with 8k extra and probably commuter vs. temple at full price. is this even a question? leaning newark.

Personally, I would never pay sticker for Temple, especially with a scholarship to Rutgers. I think that's what most people will tell you. They're both regional schools and unless you have to be in Philly for some reason, I don't think there should be any question about Rutgers.

Definately Rutgers...Jersey can't be that bad right? :lol:

brunbrun

Postby brunbrun » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:11 pm

bjf wrote:
brunbrun wrote:accepted today via email! So excited :)

Congrats! When did you go complete?

Thanks! I went complete on 1/12

bjf

Postby bjf » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:49 pm

Does R-N have an admitted students site?

Bigbub75

Postby Bigbub75 » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:30 pm

Question, Does anyone know if you can bargain with Rutgers for scholarship money? RU Newark was my number 1 choice, mainly because of cost, but I recently got a scholarship from loyola chicago that make is roughly the same cost as RU. I still would like to go to Rutgers, but I am wondering if I can use this money from Loyola as a negotiating tool to get some cash.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”