Rutgers Newark

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
audrey hepburn

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby audrey hepburn » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:16 pm

Last edited by audrey hepburn on Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bcmickle

Postby bcmickle » Thu Jul 22, 2010 9:06 pm

audrey hepburn, the link for housing is
--LinkRemoved--?
If that doesn't work it's just going to the housing website, clicking "apply for housing now" or whatever, and then input your log-in information and click on "check your housing assignment".

As for billing, my student account status has been updated to show what I owe for housing (a little less than $4900 for a Talbott room) and that's it, nothing about the Term Bill. Hopefully they'll release it sometime before August 10 since that is apparently the due date. I'd also like to know if the In-State tuition kicked in. I hope that helps a little and I'll see you in a few weeks.

Oh and does anyone know if your financial aid package (mine is just loans and work study) changes if you switch to in-state status?

phooey182

Postby phooey182 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:20 pm

orange_ava wrote:This is response to the computer post above.....

I asked this question earlier too...here are the specifications http://law.newark.rutgers.edu/students/ ... g-students

I'm pretty torn between a Mac and PC. So any input would def be helpful. Did anyone have trouble with a Mac and the test software?

Thanks!

Buy a Mac, Buy a Mac, Buy a Mac, Buy a Mac.

I bought a Mac. And I recommeded a Mac to a fellow student, who purchsed one and loved it.
I also got a free printer and free iPod Touch with my Mac due to their student discounts and incentives.

You'll also probably want to pick up Microsoft Office for Mac (Home and Office Edition) for around $150. Its not required, but it helps.

phooey182

Postby phooey182 » Fri Jul 23, 2010 2:26 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:
NJcollegestudent wrote:Also in response to the poster who is a rutgers 1L student, for 1L's make sure when you get your picture id, that you bring a government issued photo id with a signature, or you will not get your id made that day. Also, the id office window is often closed, so make sure you use the bell that is present to alert someone to make the id for you.

Also be aware that blackboard from time to time is taken down for maintenance, and that you should always keep a copy of any postings on your laptop. They have limited space to post items and older assignments or readings tend to get lost on the site. Lastly, make sure you have a valid email addressees on blackboard, or when the professor sends out a bulk email, you will not get it.

One further note that i just realized, until your registration is activated, you will not have access to your class site on blackboard, and that after you are in the system, it takes up to 48 hours for it to appear on your page. They have stated they are upgrading blackboard to 8.0 or something to that effect in an email to undergraduates, and that there are new policies in effect for the computing labs, including page print limits. If anyone wants a copy of the email in the event they did not get it i would be happy to post it here.

In fact, it says blackboard will be offline from August 23, 2010- August 25, 2010. Does the law semester start on the 25th?

Blackboard goes up and down all the time. I think I got my booklist like 3 days before classes (I had them overnighted to me). Once you know your professor, you can e-mail them directly and ask for the book list. I would NOT ask for the first day assignment, because you probably shouldn't do that until much closer to the start. Once you get your books, you can read the first 10 pages, because that is usually the first assignment anyway. And let's face it, you are 1Ls and you'll just be curious about these 'casebooks' you've heard so much about. If you have a real problem getting your books on time, you can use the ones the library has. Or borrow a friends if you have any. :lol:

renee15

Postby renee15 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:55 am

bcmickle wrote:audrey hepburn, the link for housing is
--LinkRemoved--?
If that doesn't work it's just going to the housing website, clicking "apply for housing now" or whatever, and then input your log-in information and click on "check your housing assignment".

As for billing, my student account status has been updated to show what I owe for housing (a little less than $4900 for a Talbott room) and that's it, nothing about the Term Bill. Hopefully they'll release it sometime before August 10 since that is apparently the due date. I'd also like to know if the In-State tuition kicked in. I hope that helps a little and I'll see you in a few weeks.

Oh and does anyone know if your financial aid package (mine is just loans and work study) changes if you switch to in-state status?

I believe the only change is the amount you can borrow for gradPLUS loans...it goes down a little once you are in-state.

ejhl2007

Postby ejhl2007 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:53 pm

has there been any further information mailed / emailed out regarding orientation for PT students?
or class schedule / class list / book list?

the silence is killing me....

champ33

Postby champ33 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 3:54 pm

FT students at least got tracks and the class schedule today. Although I haven't been able to find the "tracking diagram" she is referring to in the e-mail.... has anyone else?

renee15

Postby renee15 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:21 pm

champ33 wrote:FT students at least got tracks and the class schedule today. Although I haven't been able to find the "tracking diagram" she is referring to in the e-mail.... has anyone else?

I don't know...I just looked it up on the schedule to see when I have class.

I am in track IV...Anyone else??

audrey hepburn

Postby audrey hepburn » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:29 pm

champ33 wrote:FT students at least got tracks and the class schedule today. Although I haven't been able to find the "tracking diagram" she is referring to in the e-mail.... has anyone else?

I can't figure it out either. What's the point of our tracks if we don't know our professors.

wizoz

Postby wizoz » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:34 pm

audrey hepburn wrote:

I can't figure it out either. What's the point of our tracks if we don't know our professors.

I'm in the early track.

Also, her note says the diagram referenced in her email is not currently posted on the entering students' site (and would be posted tomorrow or a few days later. As for looking up your schedule, the number in the parentheses does not correspond to the number on the pdf schedule, meaning you can't know your schedule. That number in the parentheses refers to your LRW group.

It seems that until the diagram gets posted, you can't determine 1) who your professors are, 2) your books, and 3) your actual class schedule. The only information we have is a)whether we are early/late track and b) what LRW group you're in.

So far, that's what I've gathered from her emails. If someone thinks it works differently, please share.

badpixie

Postby badpixie » Mon Jul 26, 2010 4:54 pm

renee15 wrote:

Track IV here too.

The Tracking Diagram is in the 2nd "how to interpret" attachment she sent. It looks like she attached an old one the first time, since it only referenced 6 tracks, but there are 8 tracks this year.

wizoz

Postby wizoz » Mon Jul 26, 2010 5:56 pm

badpixie wrote:
renee15 wrote:

Track IV here too.

The Tracking Diagram is in the 2nd "how to interpret" attachment she sent. It looks like she attached an old one the first time, since it only referenced 6 tracks, but there are 8 tracks this year.

Awesome! I hadn't opened the 2nd one assuming it was the same. Thanks!

champ33

Postby champ33 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 6:59 pm

It appears I have only two classes on Fridays, just about the only thing I'm excited about.

jbl7979

Postby jbl7979 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 8:31 pm

For the part time evening program, I know we have Legal Research & Writing in the Spring semester. Anybody know what days/times it is usually?

Rutgers1L_10

Postby Rutgers1L_10 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 9:44 pm

Those of you that have Dean Mark for Contracts the good news is that he's a GREAT professor. Bad news is that he's really busy and his class schedule can be all over the place. One week he will cancel 1-2 classes the next week you'll have class every day extended 20-30 minutes.

Also Dean Chen is a brilliant man...that said--just know that you are nowhere near his brilliance and you will feel that early and often.

If you have Sclar for property you may want to just shoot yourself now. Prepare to spend 3/4 of the semester talking about 13th century feudalism, while your classmates learn property law. The good news is that she's not mean, she cold calls every one 1 time only otherwise you can volunteer.

audrey hepburn

Postby audrey hepburn » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:03 pm

I'm in track 4 too. Seems like a lot of people are in this track! Do any of the rising 2L's know anything about the following professors:

Deutsch, Hyde, Perry and/or Thomas?

badpixie

Postby badpixie » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:25 am

It seems like everyone here and on the FB group are all Track IV. I'm starting to wonder if they messed up the email. Is there anyone who got something other than Track IV in the email?

audrey hepburn

Postby audrey hepburn » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:32 am

badpixie wrote:It seems like everyone here and on the FB group are all Track IV. I'm starting to wonder if they messed up the email. Is there anyone who got something other than Track IV in the email?

Yes, the first guy on the facebook group is in group VI (4)- that's actually track 6 and section 4.

badpixie

Postby badpixie » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:47 am

audrey hepburn wrote:
badpixie wrote:It seems like everyone here and on the FB group are all Track IV. I'm starting to wonder if they messed up the email. Is there anyone who got something other than Track IV in the email?

Yes, the first guy on the facebook group is in group VI (4)- that's actually track 6 and section 4.

Thanks Audrey. I was starting to worry that there was a correction coming, so I was afraid to start ordering my books. :)

rw2188

Postby rw2188 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:58 am

if you are still looking to get instate tuition or move to a place with an easy, 20 minute commute to the Law School, please see below and get in touch with me via email: sparklz028@hotmail.com
I posted this ad elsewhere, so don't mind the phrasing.....

I am a mid 20s female professional looking to share an apartment with a young female professional in a luxury high-rise building. I am neat and tidy, and as I am starting law school I will be studying (and MIA) for most of my time. I am looking for someone to cosign a one year lease together-- please only respond if you can make this kind of commitment, starting sometime in August (I am flexible). I ensure that the apartment is big enough for two people, is brand new with: carpeting in the bedrooms, new kitchen with stainless appliances, large living room and dining room area and space for your stuff! The building has a gym, outdoor common space, doorman etc and is close to either the Grove st. Path or Exchange place path train. The cost of the rent (split amongst us) is $2800, plus utilities. The building is on the waterfront and you can look at the Statue of Liberty. Please contact me via email and we can pursue this further!
Thanks!

audrey hepburn

Postby audrey hepburn » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:17 am

badpixie wrote:
audrey hepburn wrote:

Thanks Audrey. I was starting to worry that there was a correction coming, so I was afraid to start ordering my books. :)

You're welcome:)

Did you try ordering your books? I ordered the one for Property (Deutsch) and Crim. Law (Thomas) but I can't find the one that Hyde posted for Contracts- it's not at the Rutgers online bookstore either. And I'm assuming Perry hasn't posted any books yet?

wizoz

Postby wizoz » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:15 am

Am I the only one on here in Track 1?

Also, any current RU students have insight on these professors?

Property - Deutch
LRW - Crnoevich
Torts - Troutt
Criminal Law - Bergelson

Thanks all!

ejhl2007

Postby ejhl2007 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:36 am

jbl7979 wrote:For the part time evening program, I know we have Legal Research & Writing in the Spring semester. Anybody know what days/times it is usually?

any PT students out there that have gotten their class schedule and professors yet?

badpixie

Postby badpixie » Tue Jul 27, 2010 9:49 am

audrey hepburn wrote:Did you try ordering your books? I ordered the one for Property (Deutsch) and Crim. Law (Thomas) but I can't find the one that Hyde posted for Contracts- it's not at the Rutgers online bookstore either. And I'm assuming Perry hasn't posted any books yet?

I've been looking for the best prices, but I think I'm going to hold off a couple of days so that the charge goes into next month's credit card cycle, so the bill won't be due until after student loans have been disbursed.

I haven't been able to find the Hyde book either - at least not that edition. And, no, I haven't seen anything from Perry yet.

I haven't been able to access the bookstore yet, because I can't get into Blackboard. I guess we have to wait until we've been pre-registered.

TUhustler

Postby TUhustler » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:23 am

wizoz wrote:Am I the only one on here in Track 1?

Also, any current RU students have insight on these professors?

Property - Deutch
LRW - Crnoevich
Torts - Troutt
Criminal Law - Bergelson

Thanks all!

I'm in Track 1 too. I'm confused about what Torts professor we have though. The tracking assignments sheet she sent out had track 1 down for Troutt but the schedule has track 1 down as Gold.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”