Rutgers Newark Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
beast510

New

Re: Rutgers Newark

Post by beast510 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:29 am

Haha I've just got my immunization form done...Sorry to be so excited, but it's a bit of a drama...

Anyway, so how should I send this form? Is it OK to just scan it and send via email?

I called that office several times, but I don't know if I'm just having a bad luck or what, no one answered...

Still haven't received my room assignment...I'm not living in NJ, so I'm just hoping I would not end up sleeping on the street...

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 5:09 am

Just remembered I promised to update this thread re parking. Finally got ahold of someone at the parking department and was told no passes were available until Aug. 16.

lovaholic

New

Post by lovaholic » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:07 am

Thanks to all the RU students posting on this. Really helpful.

FYI--I just checked my award status and my Plus loans were applied. I can safely quit my job on FRIDAY! woot woot! :)

Excited to get that schedule. Not like there will be any surprises as the courses are set--but still excited.

kasparov

New

Post by kasparov » Mon Jul 19, 2010 1:46 pm

beast510 wrote:Haha I've just got my immunization form done...Sorry to be so excited, but it's a bit of a drama...

Anyway, so how should I send this form? Is it OK to just scan it and send via email?

I called that office several times, but I don't know if I'm just having a bad luck or what, no one answered...

Still haven't received my room assignment...I'm not living in NJ, so I'm just hoping I would not end up sleeping on the street...

Hi, I sent you a PM about this very subject.

ejhl2007

New

Post by ejhl2007 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:05 pm

can anyone suggest a laptop that they've purchased for school?

any current students chime in to recommend a laptop?

Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

orange_ava

New

Post by orange_ava » Tue Jul 20, 2010 4:53 pm

This is response to the computer post above.....

I asked this question earlier too...here are the specifications http://law.newark.rutgers.edu/students/ ... g-students

I'm pretty torn between a Mac and PC. So any input would def be helpful. Did anyone have trouble with a Mac and the test software?

Thanks!

renee15

New

Post by renee15 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:28 am

orange_ava wrote:This is response to the computer post above.....

I asked this question earlier too...here are the specifications http://law.newark.rutgers.edu/students/ ... g-students

I'm pretty torn between a Mac and PC. So any input would def be helpful. Did anyone have trouble with a Mac and the test software?

Thanks!
I have an Acer Aspire One...That is what I use on a regular basis...easy to carry around...only problem is that the screen is kind of small...if that doesn't work out for me I am going with a Macbook.. luckily I have both at my disposal and will not need to buy a computer...plus I can switch at my little heart's desire.

badpixie

Bronze

Post by badpixie » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:34 am

Has anyone heard anything about when tracks/schedules will be released?

ericng314

New

Post by ericng314 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:52 pm

Hey just wondering did anyone receive their bill yet for the Fall semester?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

badpixie

Bronze

Post by badpixie » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:57 pm

ericng314 wrote:Hey just wondering did anyone receive their bill yet for the Fall semester?
Final Tuition and Cost of Attendance numbers have been posted, and there's a note that says that term bills will be available for viewing online in early August.

ericng314

New

Post by ericng314 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:46 pm

badpixie wrote:
ericng314 wrote:Hey just wondering did anyone receive their bill yet for the Fall semester?
Final Tuition and Cost of Attendance numbers have been posted, and there's a note that says that term bills will be available for viewing online in early August.
Hey, I just went on their website to check. The Tuition and COA are posted yes. However, the term bills are actually DUE on August 10th. I logged into my Student Services website and clicked on pay my bill and got this PDF file that said due date: August 10th, 2010. I read at a much earlier time on the FA website that bills were supposed to be posted sometime mid-week of July 21st (which is now....). Oh well, I'll be patiently waiting for that bill. Sigh

badpixie

Bronze

Post by badpixie » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:55 pm

ericng314 wrote:
Hey, I just went on their website to check. The Tuition and COA are posted yes. However, the term bills are actually DUE on August 10th. I logged into my Student Services website and clicked on pay my bill and got this PDF file that said due date: August 10th, 2010. I read at a much earlier time on the FA website that bills were supposed to be posted sometime mid-week of July 21st (which is now....). Oh well, I'll be patiently waiting for that bill. Sigh
They have also added a link to login to Blackboard on the Entering Students page today, but I haven't been able to log in. I wonder if this means that they will be releasing tracks and schedules soon.

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:01 pm

The term bill won't be generated until you're registered for classes. Registration just started this week for us older students. One of the deans registers all the 1Ls and she probably hasn't done it yet. In her defense, she's probably spent two hours this week administering final exams, so her schedule has been pretty booked. Also, I wouldn't stress about the Aug. 10 term bill date. First, you'll have a bill at least a week before that. This is definitely right around the date I got my class info last year. Second, there really isn't a consequence for not paying your bill by Aug. 10 (this is anecdotal, don't base any decisions on this non-official info). As long as you indicate that you intend to pay and attend school, there's some leeway. I have classmates you waited until classes had started to pay and were fine.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bcmickle

New

Post by bcmickle » Wed Jul 21, 2010 6:17 pm

Hey everyone, I'm another Rutgers Newark 1L and I can't wait to start the year, but I had a quick question. Sorry if it was answered at some point in this topic but 55 pages is a lot to skim through.
Does everyone know about their housing situation? I applied for on-campus housing a while ago, but I haven't gotten any e-mails about it from Housing. The website says I applied, but it's awfully close to the start of the semester and I haven't gotten anything specific. I e-mailed them and they never responded so I e-mailed the Registrar and she said I was on the housing list so I'm not too worried, but has anyone gotten their housing assignments yet?
Thanks for any help and I'll see you in a few weeks.

ericng314

New

Post by ericng314 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:02 pm

Sort of sucks for me to wait for this bill :(. I start MSP in less than two weeks. Daily commuting to Newark starts soon!

mia_p

New

Post by mia_p » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:42 am

bcmickle wrote:Hey everyone, I'm another Rutgers Newark 1L and I can't wait to start the year, but I had a quick question. Sorry if it was answered at some point in this topic but 55 pages is a lot to skim through.
Does everyone know about their housing situation? I applied for on-campus housing a while ago, but I haven't gotten any e-mails about it from Housing. The website says I applied, but it's awfully close to the start of the semester and I haven't gotten anything specific. I e-mailed them and they never responded so I e-mailed the Registrar and she said I was on the housing list so I'm not too worried, but has anyone gotten their housing assignments yet?
Thanks for any help and I'll see you in a few weeks.
I was worried because I need to move-in early so I emailed Office of Housing and Residence Life and they got back to me yesterday (finally!). They told me that there was a delay in the release while they were finalizing the billing files and I will receive a detailed email from them shortly indicating how I can review my specific room and roommate information. By the way, if you review your online account, you will already see your housing charges have been posted.
Hope this helps. :wink:

ericng314

New

Post by ericng314 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:02 am

Hey I had emailed them about the Tracks and bill yesterday. Here's the email response I got from Dean Walton:

The day students have not been entered into the university system yet. I am almost ready to release track assignments and will do so early next week. Our registrar has to register everyone before you can access Blackboard. When I send you your track assignment, I'll include information about Blackboard.

The first round of term bills will be due August 10th - I'm not sure if your will be due then or not. It depends on when we get the credits into the university mainframe. But that is the earliest it would be due.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rutgers1L_10

Bronze

Post by Rutgers1L_10 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:49 pm

For those worried about the Aug 10th term bill due date--don't worry. It's not that serious. If you have a scholarship or loan or payment plan or a nice smile they won't kick you out. It'll all get taken care of. There were people still dealing with paying their term bill halfway through the semester. Many first years won't have a bill due that early because you won't be registered for classes soon enough. The school sends those emails out generally and it's not always specific to law students.

But once you are registered (and if you are in the Newark area) I suggest you go and get your ID ASAP. The undergrads have summer orientation and once they hit the campus Blumenthal Hall (registrar, accounting, parking, health services, etc. building) is BANANAS!!!

Hopefully your tracks come out soon. It looks like there are quite a few new professors coming in this year to teach 1L courses, and some other professors are being mixed around. But I did recognize some names on the schedule.

Once you get your tracks and get logged into Blackboard you first instinct will be to find your book list for your class run out and get your first day's assignments and start studying. IGNORE THIS URGE. First off all they're not going to post your first day assignments until the week before school starts. So you will have enough time to read, and re-read, and thrice read your assignments before the first day. But none of that matters, because you won't understand it anyway. So just relax don't panic if you don't have your assignments right away. It takes the professors a while to give you all access to the individual classes and to post the assignment. They're doing it for your own good. If they gave you the assignments too early you would just panic for weeks. This way you can only panic for about 1 week.

lovaholic

New

Post by lovaholic » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:20 pm

Rutgers1L_10 wrote:For those worried about the Aug 10th term bill due date--don't worry. It's not that serious. If you have a scholarship or loan or payment plan or a nice smile they won't kick you out. It'll all get taken care of. There were people still dealing with paying their term bill halfway through the semester. Many first years won't have a bill due that early because you won't be registered for classes soon enough. The school sends those emails out generally and it's not always specific to law students.

But once you are registered (and if you are in the Newark area) I suggest you go and get your ID ASAP. The undergrads have summer orientation and once they hit the campus Blumenthal Hall (registrar, accounting, parking, health services, etc. building) is BANANAS!!!

Hopefully your tracks come out soon. It looks like there are quite a few new professors coming in this year to teach 1L courses, and some other professors are being mixed around. But I did recognize some names on the schedule.

Once you get your tracks and get logged into Blackboard you first instinct will be to find your book list for your class run out and get your first day's assignments and start studying. IGNORE THIS URGE. First off all they're not going to post your first day assignments until the week before school starts. So you will have enough time to read, and re-read, and thrice read your assignments before the first day. But none of that matters, because you won't understand it anyway. So just relax don't panic if you don't have your assignments right away. It takes the professors a while to give you all access to the individual classes and to post the assignment. They're doing it for your own good. If they gave you the assignments too early you would just panic for weeks. This way you can only panic for about 1 week.

I would def panic. haha. You've been so helpful with your posts! Thanks.

NJcollegestudent

Bronze

Post by NJcollegestudent » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:31 pm

Undergraduates got their term bills on tuesday. There is a 4 percent hike from last year, and our bill came out to $6,045 for the semester. Figure the law school bill is about double that per semester and additional fees.

NJcollegestudent

Bronze

Post by NJcollegestudent » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:34 pm

Also in response to the poster who is a rutgers 1L student, for 1L's make sure when you get your picture id, that you bring a government issued photo id with a signature, or you will not get your id made that day. Also, the id office window is often closed, so make sure you use the bell that is present to alert someone to make the id for you.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

NJcollegestudent

Bronze

Post by NJcollegestudent » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:39 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:Also in response to the poster who is a rutgers 1L student, for 1L's make sure when you get your picture id, that you bring a government issued photo id with a signature, or you will not get your id made that day. Also, the id office window is often closed, so make sure you use the bell that is present to alert someone to make the id for you.

Also be aware that blackboard from time to time is taken down for maintenance, and that you should always keep a copy of any postings on your laptop. They have limited space to post items and older assignments or readings tend to get lost on the site. Lastly, make sure you have a valid email addressees on blackboard, or when the professor sends out a bulk email, you will not get it.

One further note that i just realized, until your registration is activated, you will not have access to your class site on blackboard, and that after you are in the system, it takes up to 48 hours for it to appear on your page. They have stated they are upgrading blackboard to 8.0 or something to that effect in an email to undergraduates, and that there are new policies in effect for the computing labs, including page print limits. If anyone wants a copy of the email in the event they did not get it i would be happy to post it here.

In fact, it says blackboard will be offline from August 23, 2010- August 25, 2010. Does the law semester start on the 25th?

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:46 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:
NJcollegestudent wrote:Also in response to the poster who is a rutgers 1L student, for 1L's make sure when you get your picture id, that you bring a government issued photo id with a signature, or you will not get your id made that day. Also, the id office window is often closed, so make sure you use the bell that is present to alert someone to make the id for you.

Also be aware that blackboard from time to time is taken down for maintenance, and that you should always keep a copy of any postings on your laptop. They have limited space to post items and older assignments or readings tend to get lost on the site. Lastly, make sure you have a valid email addressees on blackboard, or when the professor sends out a bulk email, you will not get it.

One further note that i just realized, until your registration is activated, you will not have access to your class site on blackboard, and that after you are in the system, it takes up to 48 hours for it to appear on your page. They have stated they are upgrading blackboard to 8.0 or something to that effect in an email to undergraduates, and that there are new policies in effect for the computing labs, including page print limits. If anyone wants a copy of the email in the event they did not get it i would be happy to post it here.

In fact, it says blackboard will be offline from August 23, 2010- August 25, 2010. Does the law semester start on the 25th?
Law school starts Monday, August 23.

bcmickle

New

Post by bcmickle » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:00 pm

Thanks Mia. I checked the housing website and my housing stuff is up (odd that they didn't e-mail me but whatever). To those who already go to Rutgers, any thoughts on Talbott? I wanted to live in University Square but at least I have a place to live. Any thing I should prepare myself for?

audrey hepburn

New

Post by audrey hepburn » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:09 pm

Last edited by audrey hepburn on Tue Sep 28, 2010 6:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”