Rutgers Newark

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
phooey182

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby phooey182 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 1:47 pm

Hello, Im a Rutgers-Newark Law Student, class of 2012 and I decided to stop by and answer some questions because my Internship is a little boring today.

get it to x wrote:Does anyone walk from Newark-Penn to school everyday? Trying to get a handle on whether or not this is feasible or if most people get on the Light Rail. I'll probably be coming in from Hoboken/Jersey City.

I walked from Newark-Broad Street to school everyday. Newark-Penn is about the same distance (10 minute walk).. It is totally feasible. And cheaper! Parking is expensive. I paid $33/month for my NJ Transit pass. Plus it is good exercise. It does SUCK in the rain and snow. I recommend a good pair of waterproof shoes, an umbrella designed for high winds, and a large study backpack. Those little suitcases with the rollers are good too, except in the slush and snow. Also, I have walked to both train stations late at night. I never got mugged or bothered. Sometimes a homeless person will ask you for money. But they aren't pushy. Newark does have a homeless problem. But they are nice homeless.

badpixie wrote:I'm leaning toward the early track, even though I'm not a morning person. I'll be commuting, and I'd prefer to park in the deck that's behind the law school, which fills up by 9am. I'd also like to have the option to get back on the road before evening rush hour on some days, because the Parkway can be a beast.

I chose the early track for my 1L year as well. Personally I'd rather be at school early than stay late. It's true that you can still end up spending all day there and leave with the late track. But that's up to you. The early track is good because you can schedule interviews in late afternoon so you won't have to miss classes. It's all a matter of preference.

TUhustler wrote:Rutgers_1L or anyone that knows, can you tell us what some of the options are or maybe were for your class atleast for the elective in the Spring? Thanks.

In Spring you will get to take your first elective. Some choices are Administrative Law, Fact Investigation, Housing Law & Policy, "Race, Class, and Metropolitan Equity", Human and Animal Rights, and Environmental Law. There are lots of courses available for your first elective. Some courses have limited seating and students are chosen by lottery. You can pick a course you are interested in, or pick a course that fits into your schedule. You can also pick a course that is taught by a professor that you like. I chose to take a course I was interested in. The professor sucked, but I got an A. Your first year elective course is your only first year course that it NOT on a B-curve. Every other class will be curved.

--My opinion on Books
Although you are supposed to get your reading list before class starts, it might not happen. Some professors are just lazy about publishing their book list. I remember my Torts professor published the list on a Friday, and class started Monday. The school does publish a 'master' book list, but there are inevitably typos. I used BarristerBooks.com. They are reasonbly priced, have everything in stock and can ship overnight. ALSO, if for some reason you don't have the book before class starts, you can go to the library and just ask if they have the casebook. Lastly, you can always ask a fellow law student to borrow their book for an hour. My very first day, some stranger asked to borrow one of my casebooks. My thoughts were "NOOOOOO my precious casebook will be soiled by the hands of another!!!" But I just handed it over and said, "give it back when class starts." He gave it back. No worries. Students are actually really nice that way.

--My opinion on Summer Internships/jobs
First, the Career Services Center is not permitted to discuss anything with you until November. And they really stick to that rule. So don't even bother talking to them until they come to you first. Your first couple of months you want to focus on schoolwork and not worry about internships anyway.

Then in November you'll have several meetings with Career Services. Some people think they are helpful, some do not. I recommend going to ALL meetings that they schedule, including resume workshops. Even if you don't get a ton of help from them, they do give some valuable insight into finding a job.

Basically you'll be focusing on your resume, cover letter and interview skills. It's not rocket science. Buy a nice suit, get a haircut, spit out the chewing gum. There's an online databank of job postings which you will be given access to. You can also send unsolicited letters out to judges and firms. There are also job fairs and 'networking opportunities'. Basically its like a kitchen sink of job-seeking. Some people will start sending out resumes in December, some will wait until April. But the more time and energy you put into finding a job, the more likely your chance of success.

My story: I was lazy. Sent out my resume later than most. Went on two interviews. Got an offer in May. I accepted the offer and now I'm working in a County Prosecutor's Office for 10 weeks, with pay. Most internships don't pay. Mine does.

Also, you can ask a professor if they need a research assistant for the summer. I know two people who did this and got summer research position with a prof. No interview, no resume, no fuss, no muss.

Oh and I know people who didn't do anything their 1L summer except travel. So don't feel bad about that, although it doesn't look too good on a resume.

Feel free to private message me or post to this forum. I just went through what you are about to go through. It's not as bad as people make it out to be.

audrey hepburn

Postby audrey hepburn » Tue Jun 22, 2010 2:14 pm

phooey182 wrote:Hello, Im a Rutgers-Newark Law Student, class of 2012 and I decided to stop by and answer some questions because my Internship is a little boring today.

get it to x wrote:Does anyone walk from Newark-Penn to school everyday? Trying to get a handle on whether or not this is feasible or if most people get on the Light Rail. I'll probably be coming in from Hoboken/Jersey City.

I walked from Newark-Broad Street to school everyday. Newark-Penn is about the same distance (10 minute walk).. It is totally feasible. And cheaper! Parking is expensive. I paid $33/month for my NJ Transit pass. Plus it is good exercise. It does SUCK in the rain and snow. I recommend a good pair of waterproof shoes, an umbrella designed for high winds, and a large study backpack. Those little suitcases with the rollers are good too, except in the slush and snow. Also, I have walked to both train stations late at night. I never got mugged or bothered. Sometimes a homeless person will ask you for money. But they aren't pushy. Newark does have a homeless problem. But they are nice homeless.

badpixie wrote:I'm leaning toward the early track, even though I'm not a morning person. I'll be commuting, and I'd prefer to park in the deck that's behind the law school, which fills up by 9am. I'd also like to have the option to get back on the road before evening rush hour on some days, because the Parkway can be a beast.

I chose the early track for my 1L year as well. Personally I'd rather be at school early than stay late. It's true that you can still end up spending all day there and leave with the late track. But that's up to you. The early track is good because you can schedule interviews in late afternoon so you won't have to miss classes. It's all a matter of preference.

TUhustler wrote:Rutgers_1L or anyone that knows, can you tell us what some of the options are or maybe were for your class atleast for the elective in the Spring? Thanks.

In Spring you will get to take your first elective. Some choices are Administrative Law, Fact Investigation, Housing Law & Policy, "Race, Class, and Metropolitan Equity", Human and Animal Rights, and Environmental Law. There are lots of courses available for your first elective. Some courses have limited seating and students are chosen by lottery. You can pick a course you are interested in, or pick a course that fits into your schedule. You can also pick a course that is taught by a professor that you like. I chose to take a course I was interested in. The professor sucked, but I got an A. Your first year elective course is your only first year course that it NOT on a B-curve. Every other class will be curved.

--My opinion on Books
Although you are supposed to get your reading list before class starts, it might not happen. Some professors are just lazy about publishing their book list. I remember my Torts professor published the list on a Friday, and class started Monday. The school does publish a 'master' book list, but there are inevitably typos. I used BarristerBooks.com. They are reasonbly priced, have everything in stock and can ship overnight. ALSO, if for some reason you don't have the book before class starts, you can go to the library and just ask if they have the casebook. Lastly, you can always ask a fellow law student to borrow their book for an hour. My very first day, some stranger asked to borrow one of my casebooks. My thoughts were "NOOOOOO my precious casebook will be soiled by the hands of another!!!" But I just handed it over and said, "give it back when class starts." He gave it back. No worries. Students are actually really nice that way.

--My opinion on Summer Internships/jobs
First, the Career Services Center is not permitted to discuss anything with you until November. And they really stick to that rule. So don't even bother talking to them until they come to you first. Your first couple of months you want to focus on schoolwork and not worry about internships anyway.

Then in November you'll have several meetings with Career Services. Some people think they are helpful, some do not. I recommend going to ALL meetings that they schedule, including resume workshops. Even if you don't get a ton of help from them, they do give some valuable insight into finding a job.

Basically you'll be focusing on your resume, cover letter and interview skills. It's not rocket science. Buy a nice suit, get a haircut, spit out the chewing gum. There's an online databank of job postings which you will be given access to. You can also send unsolicited letters out to judges and firms. There are also job fairs and 'networking opportunities'. Basically its like a kitchen sink of job-seeking. Some people will start sending out resumes in December, some will wait until April. But the more time and energy you put into finding a job, the more likely your chance of success.

My story: I was lazy. Sent out my resume later than most. Went on two interviews. Got an offer in May. I accepted the offer and now I'm working in a County Prosecutor's Office for 10 weeks, with pay. Most internships don't pay. Mine does.

Also, you can ask a professor if they need a research assistant for the summer. I know two people who did this and got summer research position with a prof. No interview, no resume, no fuss, no muss.

Oh and I know people who didn't do anything their 1L summer except travel. So don't feel bad about that, although it doesn't look too good on a resume.

Feel free to private message me or post to this forum. I just went through what you are about to go through. It's not as bad as people make it out to be.

what was your study schedule like your first semester? thanks

phooey182

Postby phooey182 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 3:18 pm

audrey hepburn wrote:what was your study schedule like your first semester? thanks

First semester you will have 4 lectures (Torts, Property, Crim. Law and Contracts) and LRW. Generally I would do about 1 hour of "prep" for each lecture. "Prep" simply means reading and understanding the material for the next class (briefing, taking notes, etc.). So if I had three lectures the following day, I would usually need 3 hours to "prep". Based on this model, my schedule would vary from day to day, but it basically gave me Fridays and Saturdays off.

Please note that the notion of "prepping" for a class is different from College where people would normally "review" what they did in class. Law School Professors expect you to know the material when you walk into the classroom. Please don't be the idiot who gets caught unprepared and has to admit to the professor that they didn't read the case. . Or WORSE, the idiot who pretends to be prepared and then gets embarassed by the professor when their unpreparedness is inevitably exposed.

Some students like to read ahead, but I don't. First off, your syllabus can change. My Crim. Law professor was running behind, so he skipped the entire section on Rape. So anyone who had 'read ahead' basically wasted their time. Also, I feel I retained the information better if I had the lecture immediately following my "prep". So I recommend only reading the material for the next class.

With LRW, I basically worked whenever I could. I didn't have a fixed schedule, but I tried to do about 1 hour of LRW 3 times a week. Many people procrastinate on the LRW assignments, and end up doing all-nighters. Please DO NOT DO THIS. You cannot write a good paper if you are frantically typing away with a mug of coffee and 3 hours before it is due. Oh who am I kidding, of course you will procrastinate, we all do! But seriously, try not to.

About 6 weeks before the end of the semester, you will want to start on your outlines. You should try to dedicate 1 hour per day on these. But ONLY 1 hour. Outlines are supposed to be concise, so keep it short! If your outline is longer than your class notes, then you are doing something wrong.

Overall, my goal was to do 8 hours of class and study per day on average (except Saturdays and Sundays). I treated law school like it was a 9-5 job.

Also don't forget you will have allocate time for your professors office hours (if you plan to go), seminars, clubs and other events. I recommend using a schedule or calendar tool like Google Calendar. I sync'd my Google Calendar to my iPhone, iMac and MacbookPro so anytime I wanted to view or modify my schedule, I could modify it on any device and it would be transmitted to every device I had. I was never off-schedule.

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Tue Jun 22, 2010 5:31 pm

For the Rutgers Newark Law student, i have a question. Did you attend Rutgers-Newark as an undergrad, or rutgers for that matter? I have heard from friends who graduated this past year, Rutgers-Newark Law does not like taking Rutgers-Newark undergrads. Also if you dont mind what was your LSAT/GPA? Thank You in advance.

phooey182

Postby phooey182 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:10 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:For the Rutgers Newark Law student, i have a question. Did you attend Rutgers-Newark as an undergrad, or rutgers for that matter? I have heard from friends who graduated this past year, Rutgers-Newark Law does not like taking Rutgers-Newark undergrads. Also if you dont mind what was your LSAT/GPA? Thank You in advance.

I didn't go to Rutgers-Newark for undergrad, I don't know their policy on Rutgers grads. My LSAT/GPA was 168/2.75.

NJcollegestudent

Postby NJcollegestudent » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:00 pm

Thanks for replying so quickly. Best of luck the next two years, although you survived the first year so the next two should be easier. I recommend "One L" for those who are attending in the fall. It might help with your first year.

Rutgers1L_10

Postby Rutgers1L_10 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:59 pm

Typically policy based courses, but this year they offered pretty substantive courses as well

Tax Law
Administrative Law
Fact Investigation
Human Rights/Animal Rights
Race, Class and Equity
Housing Policy
International Law

There may have been 1 or 2 others that I cant remember

Rutgers1L_10

Postby Rutgers1L_10 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:03 pm

I walk all the time
The walk is 15 min, easy.
The light rail will get you within a 2min walk of the school. It runs every 3-5 minutes from Penn Station to Washington St. From Washington you just walk down the block to the law building.

Whether you come from Hoboken or JC you will end up and Penn Station and will have to walk or take the light rail.
In the evening (after 4 I think) there is a shuttle that picks up behind the law school and drives you to Penn Station--DONE AND DONE!

Rutgers1L_10

Postby Rutgers1L_10 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:09 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:For the Rutgers Newark Law student, i have a question. Did you attend Rutgers-Newark as an undergrad, or rutgers for that matter? I have heard from friends who graduated this past year, Rutgers-Newark Law does not like taking Rutgers-Newark undergrads. Also if you dont mind what was your LSAT/GPA? Thank You in advance.

Didn't go to RU undergrad, and I am doubtful that Rutgers hold to a policy that disadvantages RU students, as there are a lot of them at the school

I think I had a 160/3.3, plus, I'm awesome!

champ33

Postby champ33 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:55 pm

Hey would appreciate any answer from one of the current students. What are the work-study positions like? I'm a little worried about accepting it and not having enough time to study/etc.

phooey182

Postby phooey182 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:21 pm

champ33 wrote:Hey would appreciate any answer from one of the current students. What are the work-study positions like? I'm a little worried about accepting it and not having enough time to study/etc.

I'm not on work-study. But, full-time students are not permitted to work more than 20 hours per week at any job. This is one of those ABA requirements. And if you DO work more than 20 hours per week, it could be considered a violation of the honor code. But I recall work-study not being that many hours per week.

With that said, I know several students who did work 20 hours/week at their 'old' jobs. It's really up to you to decide if you can handle it. Personally, I think its easier to take out student loans. Why stress yourself out?

Nicky Fortunatto (sp?) is the Financial Aid expert. You should call her office and make an appointment to speak with Nicky or someone who can walk your through everything you need to know. There are scholarships available that you might not know about.

wizoz

Postby wizoz » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:37 pm

why is dean bravo-webber so unresponsive? any1 try emailing her? she doesn't write back.

wizoz

Postby wizoz » Thu Jun 24, 2010 2:48 pm

phooey182 wrote:
champ33 wrote:Hey would appreciate any answer from one of the current students. What are the work-study positions like? I'm a little worried about accepting it and not having enough time to study/etc.

I'm not on work-study. But, full-time students are not permitted to work more than 20 hours per week at any job. This is one of those ABA requirements. And if you DO work more than 20 hours per week, it could be considered a violation of the honor code. But I recall work-study not being that many hours per week.

With that said, I know several students who did work 20 hours/week at their 'old' jobs. It's really up to you to decide if you can handle it. Personally, I think its easier to take out student loans. Why stress yourself out?

Nicky Fortunatto (sp?) is the Financial Aid expert. You should call her office and make an appointment to speak with Nicky or someone who can walk your through everything you need to know. There are scholarships available that you might not know about.

I'm not a current student but a current student did say to me that if you get work study, then you should def use it simply because you could lose the funding in subsequent years if you don't use it. I think her advice is pretty accurate because in most of these financial aid programs, it's the students that received the aid first who continue to get preference for the funding in years to come...that's like a mandate for the distribution of work study funds. Anyway check with Nicky, she'll tell you.

phooey182

Postby phooey182 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 9:16 am

wizoz wrote:why is dean bravo-webber so unresponsive? any1 try emailing her? she doesn't write back.

That is surprising because the Deans are usually very responsive. It is possible she is on vacation. You can always try e-mailing Dean Rothman or Dean Bouchoux. They are very nice. Dean Garbaccio isn't always nice, but you can try her as well. I assume this is a question about the Minority Student Program?

king3780

Postby king3780 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:47 pm

phooey182 wrote:
wizoz wrote:why is dean bravo-webber so unresponsive? any1 try emailing her? she doesn't write back.

That is surprising because the Deans are usually very responsive. It is possible she is on vacation. You can always try e-mailing Dean Rothman or Dean Bouchoux. They are very nice. Dean Garbaccio isn't always nice, but you can try her as well. I assume this is a question about the Minority Student Program?

Dean G isn't always nice? That statement falsely implies there are occasions when she is nice. :D

lovaholic

Postby lovaholic » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:58 pm

Any MSP students here considering living on campus for the program? I will be commuting but don't know if it is worth paying $300 to live there during the program. Thoughts?

ericng314

Postby ericng314 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:01 pm

Just wondering, in regards to the electives, are all of those courses that you guys listed like NOT on a b-curve? Which ones are on a b-curve from that list? Is Admin law or fact investigation or Race class on that b-curve?

Thanks!

In regards to the MSP question, nope I'm not gonna be living on campus b/c I live in NYC.

phooey182

Postby phooey182 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:47 pm

ericng314 wrote:Just wondering, in regards to the electives, are all of those courses that you guys listed like NOT on a b-curve? Which ones are on a b-curve from that list? Is Admin law or fact investigation or Race class on that b-curve?

Thanks!

In regards to the MSP question, nope I'm not gonna be living on campus b/c I live in NYC.

Your first year elective is NOT on a B-curve. Only your first year required courses (LRW, Torts, Contracts, Property, Crim Law, Civ Pro, Con Law) are on a B-curve.

One other thing you should note, many professors use a 'bump' system. A grade 'bump' is a half-point increase in your final grade (applied after the curve) for those students with exceptional class participation. Grade bumps are awesome!! And you should always check with your professor to see if they offer it (most do). Grade bumps are given to those students who are 1) prepared for class; 2) volunteer to brief or answer questions; and 3) contribute to class discourse. You should work towards this grade bump in every class that offers it.

My personal story: I fucked up a final exam and got a 'B-'. I knew the subject, I just fucked up an exam, it happens. BUT, I had contributed a lot to the class discussion so my professor bumped my final grade to a 'B'. Believe me, a 'B' looks so much better than a 'B-'. Also, because I'm on a scholarship, I need to keep my grades up. Grade bumps saved me. Furthermore, because I had participated in the class discussion a lot, my professor offered (without me asking) to be a reference for me. It looks amazing on a resume to have your first-year professor be a reference. So, class participation is beneficial for more than just the grade. Dean Rothman always encourages students to 'speak up' in class. And he is right.

beast510

Postby beast510 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:55 am

To all current RU-N law students:

I'm an international student who's gonna attend RU-N this fall. Do you have lots of international students in your class? How are they doing there, esp. for those who speak English as a second language?

wizoz

Postby wizoz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:37 pm

lovaholic wrote:Any MSP students here considering living on campus for the program? I will be commuting but don't know if it is worth paying $300 to live there during the program. Thoughts?

I'm commuting also and am interested in hearing how many students are going to stay on campus during the MSP orientation. I'm starting to think I'll feel left out if I don't stay on campus to mingle with my classmates....hmmm.

wizoz

Postby wizoz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:39 pm

king3780 wrote:
phooey182 wrote:

Dean G isn't always nice? That statement falsely implies there are occasions when she is nice. :D

lol...I was thinking the same thing about Dean G. She's a tough cookie.

wizoz

Postby wizoz » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:42 pm

phooey182 wrote:

Yes.

lovaholic

Postby lovaholic » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:55 pm

wizoz wrote:
lovaholic wrote:Any MSP students here considering living on campus for the program? I will be commuting but don't know if it is worth paying $300 to live there during the program. Thoughts?

I'm commuting also and am interested in hearing how many students are going to stay on campus during the MSP orientation. I'm starting to think I'll feel left out if I don't stay on campus to mingle with my classmates....hmmm.

I sent an email to ask about how many students live on campus during the 2weeks. Dean Walton advised that mostly people who live on campus during the year move in earlier. She said not to feel obligated if you're near by and that the parking decks are available for the student rate of $4/day during the program.

rw2188

Postby rw2188 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:47 pm

They just tapped the waitlist, and...

I AM IN!!!

good luck to everyone still waiting out there!!!

lovaholic

Postby lovaholic » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:49 pm

rw2188 wrote:They just tapped the waitlist, and...

I AM IN!!!

good luck to everyone still waiting out there!!!

Congrats! I'm happy for you. Waiting sucks--hope others hear good news soon!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”