Rutgers Newark Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dhg5004

Bronze

Re: Rutgers Newark

Post by dhg5004 » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:35 am

NYCG8TR wrote:
dhg5004 wrote:
NickyD51 wrote:Unbelievable, I haven't heard from Rutgers yet, not even to say bear with us, what a joke...
Dude. I haven't either. When did you apply?
Same here. I'm convinced they lost my application LOL
I actually just called a few minutes ago. I applied super late...2 weeks AFTER the deadline. And they told me I'd hear something within 2 weeks. Soooo i'll continue to wait.

Miami on the other hand said i'd hear something by early August 2 weeks before orientation. lolol...

jaminben

New

Post by jaminben » Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:46 am

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
ihatethelsat wrote:S
The only thing I would caution about Rutgers is that its in a rough neighborhood. Like really rough. Like highest crime rate in New Jersey. Like have friends from New Jersey that would NEVER go there. So you would definitly have to live outside of rutgers and not go there at night.

No its not. I went there for undergrad rutgers newark is not rough at all. your in a huge college part of town rutgers,njit, umdnj, and essax are all right there. its perfectly safe.

dvd

Bronze

Post by dvd » Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:59 am

`
Last edited by dvd on Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dhg5004

Bronze

Post by dhg5004 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 3:37 pm

dvd wrote:Does anyone know anything about movement on the waitlist?
well i'm still pending. so i can't imagine there has been too much movement....i know a few other people on tls haven't heard yet either...so who knows :(

romi46

New

Post by romi46 » Fri Jun 04, 2010 7:59 pm

jaminben wrote:
Nicholasnickynic wrote:
ihatethelsat wrote:S
The only thing I would caution about Rutgers is that its in a rough neighborhood. Like really rough. Like highest crime rate in New Jersey. Like have friends from New Jersey that would NEVER go there. So you would definitly have to live outside of rutgers and not go there at night.

No its not. I went there for undergrad rutgers newark is not rough at all. your in a huge college part of town rutgers,njit, umdnj, and essax are all right there. its perfectly safe.

I went there for undergrad too and it was safe for the most part. You do have to be cautious though. One time I was walking to the Rutgers bookstore which is across the street from the main campus and someone stole my cell phone from my ear!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

badpixie

Bronze

Post by badpixie » Mon Jun 07, 2010 6:01 pm

Question for Rutgers_1L or any other current RU-N student:

How is the parking situation at the deck behind the law school building? I am concerned mostly about how requesting late track over early track might impact the availability of parking. I'd love to not have to deal with rush hour traffic in the morning, but not if it means that I have to park on the other side of campus. Any thoughts?

NJcollegestudent

Bronze

Post by NJcollegestudent » Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:25 pm

badpixie wrote:Question for Rutgers_1L or any other current RU-N student:

How is the parking situation at the deck behind the law school building? I am concerned mostly about how requesting late track over early track might impact the availability of parking. I'd love to not have to deal with rush hour traffic in the morning, but not if it means that I have to park on the other side of campus. Any thoughts?

I attend Rutgers-Newark as an undergraduate right now. Parking is quite literally a nightmare on campus. We have two decks, and on a regular session by 9am the main deck is full and you have to go all the way down the street to deck 2. My advice is either to leave early or commute via mass transit. In addition, the campus is very safe, and located perfectly within a few blocks thus the security presence is great. The law building is also secured, and only accessible to students or staff with ID.

Bigbub75

Bronze

Post by Bigbub75 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:00 pm

Did anyone check out the RU- Newark C/O 2009 employment stats on the website? Pretty impressive ITE. 92% employed. A decent amount in biglaw and midlaw, although it seems there was a jump in the amount of people that took clerkships. Makes me feel alot better about my decision.

NJcollegestudent

Bronze

Post by NJcollegestudent » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:00 pm

This is a question better served for those who go in this year. I will be applying for the next school year as i am a senior at rutgers newark right now. I have a 3.9 gpa currently, subject to change before i finish in the spring, and will be taking the LSATS in OCT,DEC or FEB. What is a score range that will give me a solid chance at getting in? 160? 165?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bigbub75

Bronze

Post by Bigbub75 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:01 pm

here's the link

--LinkRemoved--

Bigbub75

Bronze

Post by Bigbub75 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:51 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:This is a question better served for those who go in this year. I will be applying for the next school year as i am a senior at rutgers newark right now. I have a 3.9 gpa currently, subject to change before i finish in the spring, and will be taking the LSATS in OCT,DEC or FEB. What is a score range that will give me a solid chance at getting in? 160? 165?

I'm not an expert, but as long as you apply early, with a 160 and a 3.9 you should be fine. Score in the 165+ range and you probably will get some scholarship money

badpixie

Bronze

Post by badpixie » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:25 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:
badpixie wrote:Question for Rutgers_1L or any other current RU-N student:

I attend Rutgers-Newark as an undergraduate right now. Parking is quite literally a nightmare on campus. We have two decks, and on a regular session by 9am the main deck is full and you have to go all the way down the street to deck 2. My advice is either to leave early or commute via mass transit. In addition, the campus is very safe, and located perfectly within a few blocks thus the security presence is great. The law building is also secured, and only accessible to students or staff with ID.
Thanks for the info! Looks like I'd better plan on arriving early. (Mass transit isn't a realistic option for me.)

champ33

Bronze

Post by champ33 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 11:00 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:This is a question better served for those who go in this year. I will be applying for the next school year as i am a senior at rutgers newark right now. I have a 3.9 gpa currently, subject to change before i finish in the spring, and will be taking the LSATS in OCT,DEC or FEB. What is a score range that will give me a solid chance at getting in? 160? 165?
You should be fine to get in with mid-150's. A 160-165 should get you a pretty large scholarship, nearer 165 and I'd say full tuition or close to it.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bernie shmegma

Bronze

Post by bernie shmegma » Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:43 am

champ33 wrote:
You should be fine to get in with mid-150's. A 160-165 should get you a pretty large scholarship, nearer 165 and I'd say full tuition or close to it.
See Lawschoolnumbers.com

NJcollegestudent

Bronze

Post by NJcollegestudent » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:03 pm

Thanks for the help with the numbers. I reason i asked is that apparently from students who graduated from Rutgers Newark as undergrads reported that Rutgers law prefers not to take many Rutgers undergrads for what ever reason. Id rather get a 160 or 165 so that i do not even have to worry about that possible factor coming in. What schools did you attend as a undergrad?

The odd thing was just yesterday they were administering the LSAT exam on campus and you could see the fear, anxiety and overall uneasiness of those who were waiting to take the exam.

Lastly, for pixie i believe that the parking rate is about 380 for a full year, excluding summer fees should you choose to take summer classes. The problem with the Rutgers parking situation is like this. The first two levels are reserved for students who live on campus, and then another level for police. Then the rest of the deck is for students, however, with Rutgers Newark undergrad, law, graduate school students and the fact that it is primarily a commuter school parking is horrid. Add in the fact the NJ transit instituted a 25% fare hike, and expect to see more permits issued next year.

In any event, congratulations to those who were accepted in this year. I think you will enjoy the campus, and espically the law building. Also, please do not yell at us undergraduates when we come into your library. Its much nicer than Dana library.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:07 pm

Anyone going to RU-Newark has to watch this video, if you haven't done so already :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4U7kuqow3gg

I'm from NJ and have huge love for the state, and that is why I am able to joke around so much about it. Figured this is a good self-deprecating laugh for anyone going to Rutgers-Newark.

champ33

Bronze

Post by champ33 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:14 pm

Referring to the above post about the LSAT at RU-N yesterday, did anyone else take it? It was a complete disaster near the end. The proctors were extremely unorganized throughout, aged about 15-18, and during the writing response section they realized the room was double-booked. About 60 people were waiting outside, and a man in a suit who was supposed to give a lecture actually had the nerve to come in during our test and start lowering the projection board in the front of the room as if he were trying to forcibly remove us.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

amg414

New

Post by amg414 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 8:12 pm

Any other fellow riders on the wait list in here? I sent a LOCI and got my final transcripts sent to the LSAC already so now all I can do is wait...patiently. Has anyone heard anything about the wait list this year? Does anyone know when they started pulling off the wait list last year?

dhg5004

Bronze

Post by dhg5004 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:56 am

amg414 wrote:Any other fellow riders on the wait list in here? I sent a LOCI and got my final transcripts sent to the LSAC already so now all I can do is wait...patiently. Has anyone heard anything about the wait list this year? Does anyone know when they started pulling off the wait list last year?
waitlist? i'm still pending! lol :(

dhg5004

Bronze

Post by dhg5004 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:56 am

amg414 wrote:Any other fellow riders on the wait list in here? I sent a LOCI and got my final transcripts sent to the LSAC already so now all I can do is wait...patiently. Has anyone heard anything about the wait list this year? Does anyone know when they started pulling off the wait list last year?
your numbers if you don't mind? pm me if you like.

amg414

New

Post by amg414 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 10:21 am

dhg5004 wrote:
I don't mind. 153/3.3 Cum, 4.0 for 5 semesters at my BA granting school, Summa Cum Laude, Phi Kappa Phi. I did poorly on the LG section and well on everything else but didn't feel I'd have time to study enough to make a significant improvement between full-time work and full-time school, and I have some other softs that I thought would help so I just went for it. I think had I not waited so long (first week of April) trying to perfect my Rutgers app (it's my top choice) I would have gotten an admit.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

R4NDM H3RO

New

Post by R4NDM H3RO » Wed Jun 09, 2010 3:16 pm

amg414 wrote:
dhg5004 wrote:
I don't mind. 153/3.3 Cum, 4.0 for 5 semesters at my BA granting school, Summa Cum Laude, Phi Kappa Phi. I did poorly on the LG section and well on everything else but didn't feel I'd have time to study enough to make a significant improvement between full-time work and full-time school, and I have some other softs that I thought would help so I just went for it. I think had I not waited so long (first week of April) trying to perfect my Rutgers app (it's my top choice) I would have gotten an admit.
I have similar but slightly lower numbers and was waitlisted as well. Did you apply for their FT program? I sent my application in the middle of Feb for their PT. I don't understand how some people are still pending. Did you guys apply like last week or something?!

amg414

New

Post by amg414 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 5:20 pm

R4NDM H3RO wrote:
amg414 wrote:
dhg5004 wrote:
I have similar but slightly lower numbers and was waitlisted as well. Did you apply for their FT program? I sent my application in the middle of Feb for their PT. I don't understand how some people are still pending. Did you guys apply like last week or something?!
No, I applied for PT. I am thinking of calling tomorrow to ask how many people they have on wait list for PT.

R4NDM H3RO

New

Post by R4NDM H3RO » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:05 pm

Let me know if you find out anything!

amg414

New

Post by amg414 » Wed Jun 09, 2010 6:20 pm

R4NDM H3RO wrote:Let me know if you find out anything!
Okay. I will call late morning, I will post whatever info I get.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”