Rutgers Newark

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
renee15

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby renee15 » Sat May 08, 2010 4:15 pm

NJ914 wrote:Anyone know what Eleven80 charges for studios, roughly? I remember talking to a girl during the Seton admitted day visit saying she lived in a nice 1br with high up views there and it was ~1600...and that price varied with the kind of view you get and all of that. I'm hoping studios are more in the 1000-1200 range?

NJ914...I think they ARE in that range...I was looking at them but I think a studio would be too small...not enough room for my boyfriend's computers and video games.

NJ914

Postby NJ914 » Sat May 08, 2010 4:43 pm

spoke to them a few hours ago. Only one studio available right now, slightly bigger than the .pdf on the website - $1297 with gas, water and trash removal, NOT including electricity or cable. That's a shitload of money for a 625 sq ft place without elec/cable, let alone parking.

get it to x

Postby get it to x » Sat May 08, 2010 6:21 pm

NJ914 wrote:spoke to them a few hours ago. Only one studio available right now, slightly bigger than the .pdf on the website - $1297 with gas, water and trash removal, NOT including electricity or cable. That's a shitload of money for a 625 sq ft place without elec/cable, let alone parking.

That's actually cheaper than what I've seen in Hoboken or Jersey City. Granted I don't think one is as car dependent in those areas, but overall it seems that rent is pretty steep for a small amount of space. Welcome to the NY metropolitan area, I guess.

LegalPink

Postby LegalPink » Sun May 09, 2010 2:38 pm

I live in Eleven80 currently...I can answer questions if you have them. PM me!

NickyD51

Postby NickyD51 » Mon May 10, 2010 4:32 pm

It's officially been 8 weeks since the March 15th deadline. WTF

Rutgers1L_10

Postby Rutgers1L_10 » Mon May 10, 2010 6:45 pm

<-----OFFICIALLY Rutgers2L_10

Relish this moment, not for me, but for yourselves. In exactly one year you guys will be finishing your 1L year. I'm telling you the first year goes by faster than anything you could ever imagine. Right now some of your are still waiting on acceptances, some of you are discussing transportation, and some are calculating expenses. But that is just the beginning. Soon you'll have letters about your schedules, and then your classes. Before you know it you'll be reading for your first day of class. After the first day of class everything else just becomes a huge blur, and next thing you know you're done with 1L.

I can't describe how amazing, and how rewarding this year has been. I can't describe how brutally difficult and time consuming it's been either. But if you ever come across a post on here, or any other place that tells you to reconsider law school hit the back button and go to a new page. Don't listen to anyone telling you to reconsider law school. It's amazing, finishing your first year will be an incredible feeling. I've done a lot of things prior to coming to law school and I certainly wouldn't classify law school as the hardest things but there has not been anything that is rewarding in the same way as this first year has been. So you guys hang in there and appreciate every second you have prior to starting school and try to remember what your life is like now good or bad because you life will be drastically different come August.

BTW--I would NOT pay $1300 to live in a studio in Newark!!! Just my personal opinion. $1300 can get you a really nice apartment in a brownstone in a much better area of Jersey (like Grove St/Historic downtown). $1300 can probably get you a decent 1 bd with a full kitchen and a parking spot.

orange_ava

Postby orange_ava » Mon May 10, 2010 10:50 pm

Rutgers1L_10 wrote:^-----OFFICIALLY Rutgers2L_10

Congrats!!!

renee15

Postby renee15 » Tue May 11, 2010 12:29 pm

Rutgers1L_10 wrote:<-----OFFICIALLY Rutgers2L_10

Relish this moment, not for me, but for yourselves. In exactly one year you guys will be finishing your 1L year. I'm telling you the first year goes by faster than anything you could ever imagine. Right now some of your are still waiting on acceptances, some of you are discussing transportation, and some are calculating expenses. But that is just the beginning. Soon you'll have letters about your schedules, and then your classes. Before you know it you'll be reading for your first day of class. After the first day of class everything else just becomes a huge blur, and next thing you know you're done with 1L.

I can't describe how amazing, and how rewarding this year has been. I can't describe how brutally difficult and time consuming it's been either. But if you ever come across a post on here, or any other place that tells you to reconsider law school hit the back button and go to a new page. Don't listen to anyone telling you to reconsider law school. It's amazing, finishing your first year will be an incredible feeling. I've done a lot of things prior to coming to law school and I certainly wouldn't classify law school as the hardest things but there has not been anything that is rewarding in the same way as this first year has been. So you guys hang in there and appreciate every second you have prior to starting school and try to remember what your life is like now good or bad because you life will be drastically different come August.

BTW--I would NOT pay $1300 to live in a studio in Newark!!! Just my personal opinion. $1300 can get you a really nice apartment in a brownstone in a much better area of Jersey (like Grove St/Historic downtown). $1300 can probably get you a decent 1 bd with a full kitchen and a parking spot.

Congrats!! What are you doing this summer?

Rutgers1L_10

Postby Rutgers1L_10 » Tue May 11, 2010 1:10 pm

renee15 wrote:
Rutgers1L_10 wrote:<-----OFFICIALLY Rutgers2L_10

Congrats!! What are you doing this summer?

I'm working in Manhattan

jbl7979

Postby jbl7979 » Wed May 12, 2010 9:31 pm

Anybody else going to the Fri 10am group meeting?

underdog

Postby underdog » Thu May 13, 2010 3:50 pm

jbl7979 wrote:Anybody else going to the Fri 10am group meeting?

JBL if you're going there tomorrow could you find out how much longer those who have heard nothing will end up having to wait. That would be a welcome bit of news for those of us who are in limbo.
I tried to find out and all I was told was that my file was with the committee. wtf.

kasparov

Postby kasparov » Thu May 13, 2010 9:26 pm

ok so who here went to the lowenstein reception. ray theks speech about how crappy it really is out there was....interesting/terrifying.

i also believe i am going to law school with girls waaaaaay out of my league. i was impressed by my fellow classmates and look forward to sharing the classroom with them.

Bigbub75

Postby Bigbub75 » Fri May 14, 2010 6:09 pm

kasparov wrote:ok so who here went to the lowenstein reception. ray theks speech about how crappy it really is out there was....interesting/terrifying.

i also believe i am going to law school with girls waaaaaay out of my league. i was impressed by my fellow classmates and look forward to sharing the classroom with them.

Was his speech hopeful? Or was it more run and never look back?

champ33

Postby champ33 » Fri May 14, 2010 6:37 pm

i had a final so couldn't go to the reception, but i'm curious about this as well, along with any other comments about the reception.

kasparov

Postby kasparov » Sat May 15, 2010 1:09 am

this was the gist of ray's speech for me:

the legal industry has never experienced such insanity. but lowenstein is doing fine, which is nice if you get to be one of the lucky few in three years, but lowenstein will always recruit at rutgers and other local schools.....at which point he turned the floor over to dean farmer.

i talked with the director of career services and while i didn't expect her to say "don't do it," it was hard to feel her out. she seemed optimistic about employment turning around, but i'll plan for that when it happens.

the coordinator for the summer associate class at lowenstein was very informative regarding what they look for in a prospective associate. business or bankruptcy (or other firm specific backgrounds).

all of the profs i met were really chilled out, as were the admission staff. i was expecting some turgid, preppy, genius-bastards, but was nicely suprised.

in all it was a great event, and a great opportunity, and i look forward to seeing all of you again.

inSouthAmerica

Postby inSouthAmerica » Sat May 15, 2010 4:29 pm

thanks for the info, kasparov.

Rutgers1L_10

Postby Rutgers1L_10 » Mon May 17, 2010 12:29 pm

BOOKS BOOKS BOOKS

Hey future 1L's!!

A student at the school is selling a bunch of 1L books (and some upper level electives which are of no importance to you now)
While I don't encourage anyone to buy supplements before you actually get into your classes and figure out which supplements you need, I will suggest you hold on to this information, and once you get your class schedule and your book assignments keep this in mind

Please do not email me about these books, I am not selling them. The contact for the person selling them is at the bottom of the message.

From the list the following are books for Fall semester courses: 1, 3, 4, 5
AGAIN I DO NOT RECOMMEND YOU PURCHASE ANY SUPPLEMENTS BEFORE YOU HAVE A CHANCE TO ATTEND YOUR CLASSES
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Below is a list of books for sale. There are no torn pages or water damage; however, just about all of the books have highlighting. For this reason, I am selling each one for a greatly discounted price.

Email me if you are interested in purchasing one or more books. At the end of the summer, if there are anymore left, I will send out another posting to give you a second chance at grabbing one of these deals!

List of Books and Prices (from lowest to highest):
1. Property [Dukeminier] (6th Edition) - $20
2. Adjudication & Its Alternatives - $20
3. Modern Law of Contracts (2nd Edition) - $25
4. Criminal Law (4th Edition) - $25
5. Torts (8th Edition) - $25
6. Copyright, Patents, Trademarks, & Related State Doctrines (6th Edition) - $25
7. Securities Regulation: Cases and Analysis (2nd Edition) - $40
8. Constitutional Law (12th Edition) - $40
9. Constitutional Law [Chemerinsky] (3rd Edition) - $45
10. Business Associations (7th Edition) - $45
11. Evidence: A Contemporary Approach - $45
12. Real Estate Transactions (5th Edition) - $45

The following is a list of supplements for sale. ALL supplements are only $10. With the purchase of the "related" book, the supplement is reduced to $5 (i.e. If you purchase the Criminal Law textbook ($25) and the Understanding Criminal Law Supplement, the total is $30).

List of Supplements
1. Understanding Criminal Law (4th Edition)
2. Federal Rules of Civil Procedure [EXCEPTION: $5 when purchased alone]
3. Contract Law: Selected Source Materials [2007 Edition = $5 when purchased alone, $2 w/"related" book. 2008 Edition = $10 when purchased alone]
4. Crunch Time: Constitutional Law
5. Selected Intellectual Property and Unfair Competition (2009)
6. Gilbert Law Summaries: Evidence (18th Edition)
7. Examples & Explanations: Evidence (6th Edition)
8. Examples & Explanations: The Law of Torts (3rd Edition)
9. Examples & Explanations: Securities Regulation (4th Edition)
10. Corporations and Other Business Entities: Essays and Multiple Choice Questions

ADDITIONAL NOTE: ALL sales are final! Sales are made on a first-come, first-serve basis.

Thank you for your time!
Amanda <ajohns0n@pegasus.rutgers.edu>

NickyD51

Postby NickyD51 » Mon May 17, 2010 2:37 pm

Ok so nothing from Rutgers so far, I've been trying to call the office all day and all I get is a busy signal, anyone hear anything from them recently??

rw2188

Postby rw2188 » Mon May 17, 2010 2:43 pm

Called this morning.
To all you waitlisters: the fall program is full right now.
So all you people with deposits down at multiple places, stop playing games.
And based on 2009 stats, they took 10 people from the waitlist.

GL to all in this Admissions purgatory

NickyD51

Postby NickyD51 » Mon May 17, 2010 2:56 pm

rw2188 wrote:Called this morning.

The fall program is full?? So does this mean if I'd heard nothing I didn't get in or will get waitlisted??

underdog

Postby underdog » Mon May 17, 2010 4:46 pm

NickyD51 wrote:

The fall program is full?? So does this mean if I'd heard nothing I didn't get in or will get waitlisted??

I'll be calling this week. I find it frustrating that I haven't even received an email updating my status. I would have thought that 3 months would have been enough time.
I would encourage everyone to call. What's the harm at this point?

keg411

Postby keg411 » Mon May 17, 2010 5:33 pm

To those waiting, I informed them last week that I was withdrawing and they are sending me the deposit back; so that's an open spot. GL!

engineered madness

Postby engineered madness » Tue May 18, 2010 11:42 am

Keg411,

for what it is worth, thank you.

LayingDownDaLaw

Postby LayingDownDaLaw » Tue May 18, 2010 12:38 pm

Called this morning.

Isn't that somewhat obvious that it is "full"? Lots of people have sent in deposits, and they are waiting back to hear from other schools. If it weren't full, they would have gone to the waitlist - something they apparently haven't done, so I don't see the breaking news headline.

Lots of schools are having their 2nd deposit deadline coming up I'd imagine, so I'm expecting something from 1st week of June to mid-July. If I get nothing, I know I'm prob. done.

NickyD51

Postby NickyD51 » Tue May 18, 2010 3:24 pm

Wow the admissions office is so helpful when you call them for information. I learned today that I applied on the 14th and that it usually takes 8 weeks to hear back! And when I asked if there was any information on the status of my application she said, "Well, you haven't denied so I suppose that's a good thing." Uggh

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”