Rutgers Newark

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
wizoz

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby wizoz » Thu Apr 29, 2010 9:20 pm

Thanks. I checked the fall 2010 class schedule and this prof I want would coincide with the track I'll request as I think we still get to choose our track. So, I guess it's up to chance.

Rutgers1L_10

Postby Rutgers1L_10 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 10:41 pm

wizoz wrote:Thanks. I checked the fall 2010 class schedule and this prof I want would coincide with the track I'll request as I think we still get to choose our track. So, I guess it's up to chance.

Nope. Not quite.
1. You don't request a specific track, you request a type of track early/late and are randomly placed in one of the three corresponding tracks (or two if you're PT)

2. The class schedule for Fall 2010 is not the same as the spring '10 schedule so there is no way of knowing which professors will be teaching which courses next fall.
--For example there were a number of professors that taught 1L courses either 1) For the first time 2) For the first time in a particular subject 3) For the first time in a long time 3) For the first time at this school
--While others have been teaching the same subject at this school since 1776, but they may have switched or will switch between Day/Eve; or may leave/return from sabbatical

3. All professors that teach 1L courses simultaneously teach upper level electives, run clinics, seminars, etc. So their schedules vary greatly from semester to semester depending on if they teach a 1L class, and if they do which one.

There is absolutely no way to know right now which courses are being taught by which professors in the fall. Not even the professors that taught my 1L class are guaranteed to teach the incoming 1Ls. As new professors are hired they end up teaching classes where the university needs them as opposed to where they prefer (at least initially). Tenured professors get their chose of classes to teach and when and if they will teach them. Obviously someone has to teach all the required 1L classes but who, is still in the air.
Even rising 2L and 3Ls don't know which classes are available next fall. Resolve your control issues, otherwise you're going to go crazy. You are virtually helpless when it comes to scheduling. You are entirely at the mercy of the school.

wizoz

Postby wizoz » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:06 am

Thanks for the responses.

1. Ok. Bad word choice on my part in using 'choose' because I did mean I'd request a type of track, which is why I said something like it's up to chance or whatever I babbled on about.

2. Fall 2010 Newark classes are listed under MyRutgers so I was not looking at Spring 2010 or Summer 2010 classes. I found the schedule in the myRutgers Portal --->Under shortcuts, click Course offerings --->login --->fill in fields, newark, graduate, fall 2010 --->click get subjects --->on the next screen, choose 600: law newark --->click get course schedule. Things could change over time with this schedule but it seems to be the fall 2010 schedule (???).

3. I'm not controlling. Someone recommended something to me and I'd like to see how best to reap the benefits of their advice. Call me..err...capitalizing :D !

Corinne

Postby Corinne » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:33 am

I withdrew today, freeing up some scholarship money. I hope it goes to one of you! Good luck with Rutgers, and sorry I won't be seeing you there!

orange_ava

Postby orange_ava » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:05 am

Corinne wrote:I withdrew today, freeing up some scholarship money. I hope it goes to one of you! Good luck with Rutgers, and sorry I won't be seeing you there!

What school will you be attending?

@Rutgers1L -- I know this will vary by Professor but did you find most of your exams were open or closed book?

Thanks!

Corinne

Postby Corinne » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:11 am

orange_ava wrote:What school will you be attending?

@Rutgers1L -- I know this will vary by Professor but did you find most of your exams were open or closed book?

Thanks!

I am sending in deposit money for Seton Hall as they offered me a full tuition scholarship, which is really difficult to refuse. However, I am still waiting to hear back from Fordham, Columbia and Brooklyn, so one never knows what may happen!

orange_ava

Postby orange_ava » Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:32 pm

Corinne wrote:

Thanks!

I am sending in deposit money for Seton Hall as they offered me a full tuition scholarship, which is really difficult to refuse. However, I am still waiting to hear back from Fordham, Columbia and Brooklyn, so one never knows what may happen!

Best of luck! Thanks for sharing.

Rutgers1L_10

Postby Rutgers1L_10 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:54 pm

wizoz wrote:Thanks for the responses.

1. Ok. Bad word choice on my part in using 'choose' because I did mean I'd request a type of track, which is why I said something like it's up to chance or whatever I babbled on about.

2. Fall 2010 Newark classes are listed under MyRutgers so I was not looking at Spring 2010 or Summer 2010 classes. I found the schedule in the myRutgers Portal --->Under shortcuts, click Course offerings --->login --->fill in fields, newark, graduate, fall 2010 --->click get subjects --->on the next screen, choose 600: law newark --->click get course schedule. Things could change over time with this schedule but it seems to be the fall 2010 schedule (???).

3. I'm not controlling. Someone recommended something to me and I'd like to see how best to reap the benefits of their advice. Call me..err...capitalizing :D !

Crack detective work! That looks about 75% right. There's still a lot of classes (upper level) that seem to be missing, and I noticed there's some profs that won't be here in the fall that are on the schedule. But when you get your track let me know what profs you have. I'll see if I can give you any tips on your professors.

Most of my exams were closed--Closed books have their benefits, don't let "closed" freak you out.

bernie shmegma

Postby bernie shmegma » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:10 pm

orange_ava wrote:
Corinne wrote:

Thanks!

I'll keep the sharing going. Received full tuition + stipend from BLS today in response to my withdrawal. However, it is not really difficult to refuse. I am flattered though. Does this mean I have to re-withdraw? How many times is this going to happen? Maybe next time they'll drop the stipulation and pay for half my housing. MAYBE then it'll be a question of RU vs. BLS.

Rutgers1L_10

Postby Rutgers1L_10 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:15 pm

bernie shmegma wrote:
orange_ava wrote:
Corinne wrote:

Thanks!

I'll keep the sharing going. Received full tuition + stipend from BLS today in response to my withdrawal. However, it is not really difficult to refuse. I am flattered though. Does this mean I have to re-withdraw? How many times is this going to happen? Maybe next time they'll drop the stipulation and pay for half my housing. MAYBE then it'll be a question of RU vs. BLS.

So, you're not going to attend BLS even with the full tuition? Any reasons why? I assume you liked the school at least a little otherwise you wouldn't have applied? Is it strictly a cost of living issue?

bernie shmegma

Postby bernie shmegma » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:48 pm

Rutgers1L_10 wrote:
bernie shmegma wrote:
orange_ava wrote:
Corinne wrote:

So, you're not going to attend BLS even with the full tuition? Any reasons why? I assume you liked the school at least a little otherwise you wouldn't have applied? Is it strictly a cost of living issue?

I like Brooklyn Law School, all things considered, I don't see an advantage for me to go to BLS. Will it open up more doors than outweighs my preferences? I seriously doubt it. In fact I would argue that Rutgers may open more doors for me both in NJ obviously and NY, with the sum of those favoring RU, unless there is something you would like to PM me about that I should know... Otherwise all of my considerations it makes RU worth more than just a potential 20K price difference in favor of BLS for all three years.

Several minutes later... I will admit this new offer is three hours fresh in my mind and new to what I had all planned out already. Its starting to sink in and I may need to seek out my deliberation team on this one. This is subject to further review.
Another hour later... @Rutgers 1L- Do you think that Brooklyn's practical training programs & approaches, size of alumni base, proximity to legal opportunity not just at big firms in NY, but courts in Brooklyn make it better training grounds, or rather just better at training attorneys than RU?
Last edited by bernie shmegma on Sat May 01, 2010 4:15 pm, edited 7 times in total.

champ33

Postby champ33 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:10 pm

bernie would you mind PM'ing me your stats or posting them? i was between BK and RU and ultimately withdrew from BK, so its either RU or waiting until next year + new LSAT for me. anyway, if you can, thanks.

sorry if it's been asked, I think i've read this entire thread and don't remember seeing it.. but are there any intramurals at RU? Do students, for example play basketball or softball games recreationally?

bernie shmegma

Postby bernie shmegma » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:14 pm

champ33 wrote:bernie would you mind PM'ing me your stats or posting them? i was between BK and RU and ultimately withdrew from BK, so its either RU or waiting until next year + new LSAT for me. anyway, if you can, thanks.

sorry if it's been asked, I think i've read this entire thread and don't remember seeing it.. but are there any intramurals at RU? Do students, for example play basketball or softball games recreationally?

They have intramurals. I know they have softball and go down to the VA tournament every year. They prob. have basketball too. I'll PM you champ.

Rutgers1L_10

Postby Rutgers1L_10 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:42 pm

bernie shmegma wrote:Several minutes later... I will admit this new offer is three hours fresh in my mind and new to what I had all planned out already. Its starting to sink in and I may need to seek out my deliberation team on this one. This is subject to further review.
Another hour later... @Rutgers 1L- Do you think that Brooklyn's practical training programs & approaches, size of alumni base, proximity to legal opportunity not just at big firms in NY, but courts in Brooklyn make it better training grounds, or rather just better at training attorneys than RU?

In short..No
Well I certainly wasn't questioning your choice, just merely inquiring. I think choosing a school is a personal choice. Personally, I thought BK was okay but didn't feel it was the place for me. I though it more resembled an (unnamed) school that I thought about attending because I planned on working while in school. Because I decided on school full-time BK didn't really fit my needs, amongst a few other personal preferences. The least of which is the area because I like Brooklyn a LOT more than I like Newark (or most anywhere else in NJ). But that is neither here nor there.

There is nothing that I think I could tell you about Rutgers that you should know before choosing it over BK (or vice versa), that you don't already know. I don't attend BK so there is no valid information I can offer for or against that school. For most people a full scholarship to a good school, which I consider BK to be, is a hard thing to turn down. Obviously even with scholarship offers a lot of times the math still doesn't add up. Everyone's financial situation is different. I do understand your concern regarding the scholarship stipulations.

I won't speak on the specific access to career opportunities afterward because I only have access to what goes on at RU, and even that is in it's infantile stages as far as my career is concerned. I do think that if you've done qualitative and quantitative analysis and determined that one school better fits your needs then you've probably done your due diligence. Too many times I read (esp on TLS) that most students automatically go with a private school over a public, or go for a higher ranked school over lower ranked, or go for a school in a large market like NY, Chi, LA over a solid regional choice. Mostly it's base on absurd conjecture and assumptions about the choices that will be available coming out of School A v. School B, when generally it's based in little if any reality. Typically people choose between RU and Seton and a lot of students that attend Seton attend because they have scholarships that make the school virtually equal in cost. In that instance I would still say one should attend the school where they feel the most comfortable. BK and RU are pretty different. They are sort of in different markets, and they have different focuses, and they typically attract different student bodies. But the idea that you should attend the school where you fit it is still the most important factor. Despite what people say, your options are going to be pretty much the same coming out of both schools. Your networks may be slightly different at each place but in the big scheme it should be a choice about where you feel you fit in, and what school you feel meets your needs.

People make too many uninformed decisions about what their hiring potential will be at various schools base on factors that are COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT to hiring partners. But God forbid you tell someone on here that their private school that cost 4x as much isn't going to afford them 4x the opportunity upon graduation; people don't want to hear it, and don't learn about legal hiring until it's too late. When the places looking to hire you actually look to hire you, they will not be looking for the same things you look for. And career prospects and hiring is going to be so much different that what you expect it to be. Just go where you feel a warm-fuzzy! Go where you will work hard.

@champ--I don't know any 1L (or 2L or 3L) that plays on the intramural teams at RU. Yes they do exist. However, the Entertainment and Sports Law Society does a dodgeball tourny that is very popular in the law school. As a 1L I could imagine there just isn't that kind of time, but it may just be that law students don't really participate in the "undergrad" type activities. But I'm old and I don't live on campus so it would just be awkward and inconvenient. I'm not saying you can't play intramurals, I'm just saying people don't.

bernie shmegma

Postby bernie shmegma » Sat May 01, 2010 12:07 am

Rutgers1L_10 wrote:
bernie shmegma wrote:Several minutes later... I will admit this new offer is three hours fresh in my mind and new to what I had all planned out already. Its starting to sink in and I may need to seek out my deliberation team on this one. This is subject to further review.

In short..No
Well I certainly wasn't questioning your choice, just merely inquiring. I think choosing a school is a personal choice. Personally, I thought BK was okay but didn't feel it was the place for me. I though it more resembled an (unnamed) school that I thought about attending because I planned on working while in school. Because I decided on school full-time BK didn't really fit my needs, amongst a few other personal preferences. The least of which is the area because I like Brooklyn a LOT more than I like Newark (or most anywhere else in NJ). But that is neither here nor there.

There is nothing that I think I could tell you about Rutgers that you should know before choosing it over BK (or vice versa), that you don't already know. I don't attend BK so there is no valid information I can offer for or against that school. For most people a full scholarship to a good school, which I consider BK to be, is a hard thing to turn down. Obviously even with scholarship offers a lot of times the math still doesn't add up. Everyone's financial situation is different. I do understand your concern regarding the scholarship stipulations.

I won't speak on the specific access to career opportunities afterward because I only have access to what goes on at RU, and even that is in it's infantile stages as far as my career is concerned. I do think that if you've done qualitative and quantitative analysis and determined that one school better fits your needs then you've probably done your due diligence. Too many times I read (esp on TLS) that most students automatically go with a private school over a public, or go for a higher ranked school over lower ranked, or go for a school in a large market like NY, Chi, LA over a solid regional choice. Mostly it's base on absurd conjecture and assumptions about the choices that will be available coming out of School A v. School B, when generally it's based in little if any reality. Typically people choose between RU and Seton and a lot of students that attend Seton attend because they have scholarships that make the school virtually equal in cost. In that instance I would still say one should attend the school where they feel the most comfortable. BK and RU are pretty different. They are sort of in different markets, and they have different focuses, and they typically attract different student bodies. But the idea that you should attend the school where you fit it is still the most important factor. Despite what people say, your options are going to be pretty much the same coming out of both schools. Your networks may be slightly different at each place but in the big scheme it should be a choice about where you feel you fit in, and what school you feel meets your needs.

People make too many uninformed decisions about what their hiring potential will be at various schools base on factors that are COMPLETELY IRRELEVANT to hiring partners. But God forbid you tell someone on here that their private school that cost 4x as much isn't going to afford them 4x the opportunity upon graduation; people don't want to hear it, and don't learn about legal hiring until it's too late. When the places looking to hire you actually look to hire you, they will not be looking for the same things you look for. And career prospects and hiring is going to be so much different that what you expect it to be. Just go where you feel a warm-fuzzy! Go where you will work hard.

@champ--I don't know any 1L (or 2L or 3L) that plays on the intramural teams at RU. Yes they do exist. However, the Entertainment and Sports Law Society does a dodgeball tourny that is very popular in the law school. As a 1L I could imagine there just isn't that kind of time, but it may just be that law students don't really participate in the "undergrad" type activities. But I'm old and I don't live on campus so it would just be awkward and inconvenient. I'm not saying you can't play intramurals, I'm just saying people don't.

Well said. Can't disagree. Completely appropriate reponse, Ppreciate it.

If I had to guess, Brooklyn reminded you of NYLS. (sorry if I called you out, I haven't stepped inside NYLS so it is def a guess, not my opinion)

get it to x

Postby get it to x » Mon May 03, 2010 9:42 am

bernie shmegma wrote:
Rutgers1L_10 wrote:

In short..No

If I had to guess, Brooklyn reminded you of NYLS. (sorry if I called you out, I haven't stepped inside NYLS so it is def a guess, not my opinion)

Bernie, I think you really need to consider the money from BLS. It has alot of the same characteristics as Rutgers and if it comes out cheaper it may be worth the risk.

bernie shmegma

Postby bernie shmegma » Mon May 03, 2010 3:45 pm

get it to x wrote:
bernie shmegma wrote:
Rutgers1L_10 wrote:

In short..No

Bernie, I think you really need to consider the money from BLS. It has alot of the same characteristics as Rutgers and if it comes out cheaper it may be worth the risk.

I know. I am not dismissing it, believe me. Kind of sucks to have such an incentive pull this way. It would be much easier if certain extra incentives came from the other side, especially after I was deferential to RU's position. That was one thing and I understood and it didn't effect my position. Until now. This is more substantial and I am progressively losing confidence in maintaining my decision -prior to the new circumstance- by the day. I'm going back to BLS in a week and have a couple appointments with some people. I'm looking to make this easier. Whatever I find during these upcoming weeks better be sufficient one way or another because I'm ready to be ready.

champ33

Postby champ33 » Tue May 04, 2010 2:19 pm

This is directed at Rutgers_1L or any other Rutgers 1L. Sorry if I'm reverting back to old discussion, but we're at 45 pages now.... The consensus from this board is that RU-N is very well connected in NJ with an outside shot at working in/around NYC. Does this account for 99-100% of graduates? What has been your experience, or friends' experiences trying to work in say Philly or DC or other areas around the country? I'd guess Philly has at least small representation, although RU-C probably takes more spots. Any info relating to these questions is much appreciated. Thanks !!

get it to x

Postby get it to x » Wed May 05, 2010 10:23 am

champ33 wrote:This is directed at Rutgers_1L or any other Rutgers 1L. Sorry if I'm reverting back to old discussion, but we're at 45 pages now.... The consensus from this board is that RU-N is very well connected in NJ with an outside shot at working in/around NYC. Does this account for 99-100% of graduates? What has been your experience, or friends' experiences trying to work in say Philly or DC or other areas around the country? I'd guess Philly has at least small representation, although RU-C probably takes more spots. Any info relating to these questions is much appreciated. Thanks !!

Champ, I've been looking into the same as well. North Jersey seems to be dominated by Rutgers with a very strong showing in NYC as well. I would think that it's more than an outside shot. Philly as you pointed out seems to be Camden's territory, but there are grads here and there for the firms I looked at. Overall, I get the sense that within a certain geographic area the degree is portable maybe even more so than the school's direct competitors which seemed to be locked in New York exclusively. As you pointed out, I'm sure an actual Rutgers student would have more valuable insight than me.

publiusjr

Postby publiusjr » Wed May 05, 2010 2:12 pm

what is the deal with rutgers newark alternative admission option? it says you can choose to have soft factors in addition to lsat and ugpa. However, they dont accept low lsats or Gpas on lsn numbers. Is that just some crap they put out?

NJ914

Postby NJ914 » Wed May 05, 2010 3:21 pm

I can speak to that, even though it's only one case - I chose to be evaluated based on softs rather than GPA/LSAT, because my GPA was way below the 25th percentile due to a horrendous freshman year at school. LSAT was in the median for Rutgers, nothing special. I had great softs and performance since then - but the numbers didn't reflect that. They accepted me pretty quickly...I think it made a difference.

underdog

Postby underdog » Wed May 05, 2010 3:54 pm

publiusjr wrote:what is the deal with rutgers newark alternative admission option? it says you can choose to have soft factors in addition to lsat and ugpa. However, they dont accept low lsats or Gpas on lsn numbers. Is that just some crap they put out?

I'm in the same situation you are. Have been waiting for months now. haven't heard a word. PT program. The wait is just brutal. I thought the comittee was nice. now I think they're plain evil !!!. by this time the dust has pretty much settle on admissions yet they still keep people waiting. Just give me a decision which is what I paid you for so I could move on. this is all I ask for. what the f is taking so f...king long.

NYCG8TR

Postby NYCG8TR » Wed May 05, 2010 4:22 pm

underdog wrote:
publiusjr wrote:what is the deal with rutgers newark alternative admission option? it says you can choose to have soft factors in addition to lsat and ugpa. However, they dont accept low lsats or Gpas on lsn numbers. Is that just some crap they put out?

I'm in the same situation you are. Have been waiting for months now. haven't heard a word. PT program. The wait is just brutal. I thought the comittee was nice. now I think they're plain evil !!!. by this time the dust has pretty much settle on admissions yet they still keep people waiting. Just give me a decision which is what I paid you for so I could move on. this is all I ask for. what the f is taking so f...king long.

Yeah, I have not heard back from them either. I am pretty much resigned to being dinged at this point. I mean, if there were a place for me in this class I would have heard already. Perhaps I am being overly negative, but I would have to believe that they are close to filling all of their seats at this stage of the process.

bernie shmegma

Postby bernie shmegma » Wed May 05, 2010 5:01 pm

NYCG8TR wrote:
underdog wrote:

Yeah, I have not heard back from them either. I am pretty much resigned to being dinged at this point. I mean, if there were a place for me in this class I would have heard already. Perhaps I am being overly negative, but I would have to believe that they are close to filling all of their seats at this stage of the process.

Stay in the game, you never know. People may pull their deposits by June to get their money back and other things happen over the summer all the time. I'd look at it like you paid them to consider you as much as possible, not to just let you know. Especially, since you could actually be a desirable applicant to them you know. Don't count em' out as an option yet. Its not ideal and it sucks, but would you rather pull yourself out of the game completely just to have peace of mind? Don't answer that.

publiusjr

Postby publiusjr » Wed May 05, 2010 6:34 pm

I was in the same boat. They told me they look over everything. I had a year in undergrad where I was really ill but didnt want to leave. My soft are very,very strong. Lsat meets there requirements. I was curious. thanks for the info.

FYI i spoke to anna walton about 2 weeks ago and she said they are very,very backlogged. they have way more applicants than years past.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”