Rutgers Newark

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LayingDownDaLaw
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:12 am

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby LayingDownDaLaw » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:45 am

I just want to make sure something doesn't happen that forces me to stay in North Jersey. That's the reason I haven't withdrawn and am sitting on the deposit. The event piqued my interest because it sounded like fun. I'm not going to go to the event and once I am 100% sure that I can leave the area (which I am not right now) then I will withdraw. There are extenuating circumstances and reasons why I have yet to do so.


This is the last comment I am going to make on this issue because it's obvious what kind of person I am trying to reason with, but to borrow the words of Carl Levin....that is a shitty defense.

Just a little advice - next time don't admit to being an ass-hat and become surprised when someone confronts you about it. If you are going to be one (and it is obvious you are one), it's better you don't announce it for people to see.
Last edited by LayingDownDaLaw on Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
bernie shmegma
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby bernie shmegma » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:49 am

keg411 wrote:I sent $300 to RU-N, so it's not like they don't have my money. They extended my deposit to 4/15 and I sent the $$ anyway because at that time I hadn't made a decision. This isn't like I'm hanging onto something without paying. Like I said, I'm very likely not going to the event and will ask for my money back in the next week. It looks like a cool event and for those who go, I hope you have fun.

And I even said that it made me feel weird about thinking about going. I'm not an idiot. I've outed myself IRL enough that people would know who I am if I showed up and I'd feel even weirder.


Its crazy that even after all of this and being called out on ethics (not that I claim to be an angel) and admitting several times- in order to imply your own guilt- to feeling weird and Gooey (or some shit), you still say "I'm very likely not going." A couple sentence before that, you say "at that time I hadn't made a decision." You still want to hold your seat until the last possible refund day after sharing no thoughts whatsoever about still contemplating going to RU-N. In fact, you're rationalizing the irrational, even when you attempt to concede. You're still talking about how cool the event looks. You're talking about not being an idiot because you wouldn't want OTHER ppl to know you're at an event and THAT's why its very likely you won't go. I understand wanting to just fulfill that urge and nothing more. It could be true that I'm not free of hypocrisy, we don't always realize this stuff. However, I didn't see anything about you not being an idiot because YOU are well aware of what is wrong and right. Connect your gut to your reason. Ethics includes what you do when nobody is looking and its not necessarily just the act that measures ethical behavior.

keg411
Posts: 5935
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 9:10 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby keg411 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:56 am

I SAID: I AM NOT GOING TO THE EVENT. DO I HAVE TO YELL?

I'm really sick of arguing about this. Dear god y'all are insufferable. As far as this thread is concerned, my withdrawal letter is sent and I won't be posting in here anymore. Best of luck.

User avatar
bernie shmegma
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby bernie shmegma » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:02 am

LayingDownDaLaw wrote:
I just want to make sure something doesn't happen that forces me to stay in North Jersey. That's the reason I haven't withdrawn and am sitting on the deposit. The event piqued my interest because it sounded like fun. I'm not going to go to the event and once I am 100% sure that I can leave the area (which I am not right now) then I will withdraw. There are extenuating circumstances and reasons why I have yet to do so.


This is the last comment I am going to make on this issue, but to borrow the words of Carl Levin....that is a shitty defense.

Just a little advice - next time don't admit to being an ass-hat and become surprised when someone confronts you about it. If you are going to be one (and it is obvious you are one), it's better you don't announce it for people to see.


I can't assume you're pulling this one out of your ass, but if I had to deduce the truth from observation, now you're lying to yourself. If you aren't and you have refrained from mentioning these circumstances this whole time after talking about how final your decision was and how you have to get out of North Jersey, then you're right to keep your deposit in. In fact, if what you say is the case, then there is a good chance you'll be at RU-N. And if that is true, then you should attend the event without feeling " Gooey." This isn't just about other people on the WL. This is also about you. It just depends what about you this is about. At this point what's said is said and only you know the truth. If this stuff doesn't matter to you and lying to yourself has because the status quo, then this is about ethics. If this stuff does matter to you and you can even determine whether you're lying to yourself, then you'll make the right decision no matter what it is.

User avatar
bernie shmegma
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby bernie shmegma » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:04 am

keg411 wrote:I SAID: I AM NOT GOING TO THE EVENT. DO I HAVE TO YELL?

I'm really sick of arguing about this. Dear god y'all are insufferable. As far as this thread is concerned, my withdrawal letter is sent and I won't be posting in here anymore. Best of luck.


Sorry to be the shrink here, but we can talk this out. If not, best of luck to you as well. Come back to the thread to re-read for your reference when you're calmer.

User avatar
senunit
Posts: 61
Joined: Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:19 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby senunit » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:12 am

Not attempting to intrude by any means. However, after reading the entire conversation between you guys it is easier for me to know that a person who intends to not attend has done the right thing and has withdrawn, because there are people other then myself who desperately want to attend. I am happy for this outcome because it leaves hope for those who do value R-N for whats its worth and are absolutely positive that if offered a seat we would attend. Although you guys had no one particular in mind, I would like to thank you for urging an individual for doing the right thing.

Best Regards.

LayingDownDaLaw
Posts: 19
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 12:12 am

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby LayingDownDaLaw » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:47 am

senunit wrote:Not attempting to intrude by any means. However, after reading the entire conversation between you guys it is easier for me to know that a person who intends to not attend has done the right thing and has withdrawn, because there are people other then myself who desperately want to attend. I am happy for this outcome because it leaves hope for those who do value R-N for whats its worth and are absolutely positive that if offered a seat we would attend. Although you guys had no one particular in mind, I would like to thank you for urging an individual for doing the right thing.

Best Regards.


To be honest, I don't think she's gonna do it until the absolute last day to get a refund. She said, "consider myself withdrawn", but does that mean she is going to send it out tomorrow? I doubt it.

User avatar
bernie shmegma
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby bernie shmegma » Wed Apr 28, 2010 1:52 am

LayingDownDaLaw wrote:
senunit wrote:Not attempting to intrude by any means. However, after reading the entire conversation between you guys it is easier for me to know that a person who intends to not attend has done the right thing and has withdrawn, because there are people other then myself who desperately want to attend. I am happy for this outcome because it leaves hope for those who do value R-N for whats its worth and are absolutely positive that if offered a seat we would attend. Although you guys had no one particular in mind, I would like to thank you for urging an individual for doing the right thing.

Best Regards.


To be honest, I don't think she's gonna do it until the absolute last day to get a refund. She said, "consider myself withdrawn", but does that mean she is going to send it out tomorrow? I doubt it.


True.

User avatar
bernie shmegma
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby bernie shmegma » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:02 am

I've tried my best to be patient with her ever since I was told to 'take it easy' a while back from a third party. I think I've done just that without completely letting everything go. I mean what are we here for right? I've limited myself on sooo much that I would otherwise have a response to . Things were just getting better. But, I couldn't do it any longer by myself. It was like I was the only one working on this bond. I guess it just wouldn't have worked out between us. :cry:

NickyD51
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:49 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby NickyD51 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:15 am

Don't worry Keg, if I get in you can sit next to me in class. But if you don't withdraw I soon I may not get in ..... lol

wizoz
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:47 am

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby wizoz » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:47 am

Any1 know when is fall 2010 registration? I'm searching on their site for this info and if no1 here knows, I'll just call in.
edit: as in the last day to register

User avatar
bernie shmegma
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby bernie shmegma » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:39 pm

NickyD51 wrote:Don't worry Keg, if I get in you can sit next to me in class. But if you don't withdraw I soon I may not get in ..... lol


She wasn't going to sit next to you in class because she wasn't going to RU-N. That's the whole point. She was just considering using the school for her interest in the Lowenstein Sandler event and that's it. This hesitation to withdraw is just because she can still get her money back by summer and there's no down side for her to hold onto it even though she made her final decision to go to RU-C. Ever since that decision, there was never going to be a Keg sitting in an RU-N class, unless what she started to say at the end is true. However, if that were the case, none of this would have been an issue to begin with and she would never have made a final decision.

jbl7979
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:47 am

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby jbl7979 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:45 pm

In via email for the PT program. Hooray.

msv5010
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:30 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby msv5010 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:50 pm

Hey guys, I was just wondering when the second seat deposit is due. I don't have the packet on hand.

User avatar
inSouthAmerica
Posts: 190
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby inSouthAmerica » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:37 pm

i dont have two seat deposits?

msv5010
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:30 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby msv5010 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:47 pm

There is no second one? I haven't looked at the information in a while but I thought there was.

User avatar
inSouthAmerica
Posts: 190
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:15 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby inSouthAmerica » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:53 pm

i'm pretty sure there is not a second one. if there is, please correct me TLS. thanks.

User avatar
bernie shmegma
Posts: 269
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby bernie shmegma » Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:42 pm

inSouthAmerica wrote:i'm pretty sure there is not a second one. if there is, please correct me TLS. thanks.


No correction needed. You are correct.

I was wondering the same thing too back when I got the info. I thought there was some sort of catch with a $300 deposit b/c all of the other schools had two deposits that added up to much more than that. So I called in. I was told to feel free to pay more if I want. No catch though.

msv5010
Posts: 96
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 8:30 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby msv5010 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:10 pm

Thanks guys. Every other school I remember had 2 so I just figured Rutgers did too. Glad to hear I don't have to send any more money, that's for sure.

champ33
Posts: 415
Joined: Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:34 pm

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby champ33 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:30 pm

I'll add my assurance that there is no second deposit. That was one of the reasons I deposited at RU-N and not Brooklyn or St. John's, who have either two or a single very large deposit. Ended up being happy with my choice anyhow.

wizoz
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:47 am

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby wizoz » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:43 pm

jbl7979 wrote:In via email for the PT program. Hooray.


Congratulations! It's such a good feeling.

wizoz
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:47 am

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby wizoz » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:45 pm

champ33 wrote:I'll add my assurance that there is no second deposit. That was one of the reasons I deposited at RU-N and not Brooklyn or St. John's, who have either two or a single very large deposit. Ended up being happy with my choice anyhow.


BK's deposit is insane! I just looked at my acceptance and all the different deposits (seat, matriculation, housing) and laughed heartily.

Rutgers1L_10
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:09 am

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby Rutgers1L_10 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:54 am

DAMN, you guys are brutal. Kicking Keg while she's down!!
Poor thing couldn't even get her party on.

As far as registration, I can't remember who posted it, but you don't get to register. You will not be informed about registration because you don't participate. You will be sent your first year schedule. You will be told what time your classes are, who the professors are, and what books to order. The only thing they probably won't tell you is what room numbers your classes are in. They didn't tell us that until we showed up to school on the first day. They basically had a sign that told us where to go.

And...once your tuition is paid in full you actually get your seat deposit credited back to you. So you most likely will receive a $300 check from the school around the middle of the semester--BEER MONEY!!!!

wizoz
Posts: 173
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 9:47 am

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby wizoz » Thu Apr 29, 2010 8:38 am

Rutgers1L_10 wrote:DAMN, you guys are brutal. Kicking Keg while she's down!!
Poor thing couldn't even get her party on.

As far as registration, I can't remember who posted it, but you don't get to register. You will not be informed about registration because you don't participate. You will be sent your first year schedule. You will be told what time your classes are, who the professors are, and what books to order. The only thing they probably won't tell you is what room numbers your classes are in. They didn't tell us that until we showed up to school on the first day. They basically had a sign that told us where to go.

And...once your tuition is paid in full you actually get your seat deposit credited back to you. So you most likely will receive a $300 check from the school around the middle of the semester--BEER MONEY!!!!


Thanks for the info on registration and seat deposit $ refund. Also, do you know who puts together the class schedules for 1L's? Is it the dean or registrar? Someone recommended a professor I absolutely must take class with and so I'd like to ask very nicely if I could have that professor on my class schedule.

Rutgers1L_10
Posts: 106
Joined: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:09 am

Re: Rutgers Newark

Postby Rutgers1L_10 » Thu Apr 29, 2010 7:55 pm

wizoz wrote:
Rutgers1L_10 wrote:DAMN, you guys are brutal. Kicking Keg while she's down!!
Poor thing couldn't even get her party on.

As far as registration, I can't remember who posted it, but you don't get to register. You will not be informed about registration because you don't participate. You will be sent your first year schedule. You will be told what time your classes are, who the professors are, and what books to order. The only thing they probably won't tell you is what room numbers your classes are in. They didn't tell us that until we showed up to school on the first day. They basically had a sign that told us where to go.

And...once your tuition is paid in full you actually get your seat deposit credited back to you. So you most likely will receive a $300 check from the school around the middle of the semester--BEER MONEY!!!!


Thanks for the info on registration and seat deposit $ refund. Also, do you know who puts together the class schedules for 1L's? Is it the dean or registrar? Someone recommended a professor I absolutely must take class with and so I'd like to ask very nicely if I could have that professor on my class schedule.


If a current student told you about a professor you should take they must've meant as a 2L or 3L. The 1L class is designed collectively by the administration and overseen by the Deans (plural), and based on the professors availability/willingness to teach a 1L course. It is a carefully orchestrated matrix, and is designed for a balance of professors of certain teaching styles to be intermingled in every students 1L course load. You won't even find out which professors you have until after you're already assigned a track, which determines your professor.

You are not going to be able to request any professor. All the 1Ls classes are designed based on the assigned track. As a raw example:
Say Professor Smith teaches contracts to everyone in Tracks I,II, and III (early track)
Say Professor Jones teaches contracts to everyone in Tracks IV, V, and VI (late track)
If you are assigned toTrack II you get Professor Smith if you assigned to Track V you get professor Jones. The only way to get a certain professor is to get moved to a new track which they will NOT DO!! They will even tell you not to ask to be moved to a specific track. You can ask as politely as you want. You're going to be flatly ignored. They could not possibly put you into a class with a professor that you are requesting, without raising some kind of an issue of impropriety and perceived bias.

There is ZERO chance that you are going to be able to 1) request a specific track; 2) request a specific professor; 3) change tracks or professors once you are assigned.
1Ls have ZERO control over their 6 substantive classes and their LRW class. You will only get a chance to pick a class/professor in the spring when you pick your elective.
However, if there is a professor that you think you may want to take you can always take an upper level elective from that professor either in the spring or as a 2L or 3L.
Who's this prof that you want?




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: aprince0122, christinaxcarrie, JordanLaw15 and 13 guests