Rutgers Newark Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bernie shmegma

Bronze

Re: Rutgers Newark

Post by bernie shmegma » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:08 pm

keg411 wrote:For those waiting/WL'd, I will be withdrawing soon and asking for a seat deposit partial refund. I've decided it's better for me personally to go down to RU-Camden rather than staying in North Jersey. My parents are also alum of that law school, which also factored into my decision.

Will miss everyone in this thread, though :(. I really want to thank y'all for making this cycle fun!
Congrats on your decision. Best of luck.

renee15

New

Post by renee15 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:07 pm

Anyone potentially looking for a room mate? Or 2. My boyfriend and I are thinking about potentially finding a room mate. Male or Female...we don't really care as long as you are cool. Anyone interested let me know! We may be looking at places this weekend.

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:13 pm

renee15 wrote:Anyone potentially looking for a room mate? Or 2. My boyfriend and I are thinking about potentially finding a room mate. Male or Female...we don't really care as long as you are cool. Anyone interested let me know! We may be looking at places this weekend.
I may be... where are you looking? Also, are you allergic to cats? Mine will def be coming along lol.

renee15

New

Post by renee15 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:23 pm

mhd08 wrote:
renee15 wrote:Anyone potentially looking for a room mate? Or 2. My boyfriend and I are thinking about potentially finding a room mate. Male or Female...we don't really care as long as you are cool. Anyone interested let me know! We may be looking at places this weekend.
I may be... where are you looking? Also, are you allergic to cats? Mine will def be coming along lol.
Although I LOVE cats, unfortunately my boyfriend has allergies to them. :(

inSouthAmerica

Bronze

Post by inSouthAmerica » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:26 pm

blatant anti-non-cool-kids trolling.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

renee15

New

Post by renee15 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:50 pm

inSouthAmerica wrote:

blatant anti-non-cool-kids trolling.
Hey you got to be picky. I am pretty loose in my definition of cool anyways. cool=not an asshole. :)

NickyD51

New

Post by NickyD51 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:37 am

Who here thinks that the longer you are waiting the better your chances?? Do you think the send out rejections first, waitlist second, and acceptances last?? Or is it the strictly go through each file one by one?? Just need something to talk about in between refreshing my email, lol!

publiusjr

New

Post by publiusjr » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:23 pm

I spoke to the dean two days ago. She said they are very,very behind on applications and just starting to review apps from feb and march. Also, she said they have started to wl some people but not that many yet.

underdog

New

Post by underdog » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:43 pm

I really believe we'll hear something by the end of this week. Last year it happened by the 23rd of April so if experience repeats I'm on my way to being waitlisted again. dammed!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

publiusjr

New

Post by publiusjr » Wed Apr 21, 2010 12:59 pm

are you applying for FT or PT?

She made it sound like wl for PT at least is still a decent shot you get in. I think it is alot of people applying because of the economy but not really because they want to be attorneys. It seems more like desperation move.

underdog

New

Post by underdog » Wed Apr 21, 2010 2:43 pm

I'm applying PT. Same as last year and I was waitlisted all the way. This really sucks!. It's looking like I'm going to other school. I'm not waiting one more year.

pink_law14

New

Post by pink_law14 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:31 pm

received my rejection letter today... status checker still says file complete.

im shocked by a denial-- i was predicting at least waitlist.. im an in-state resident!

good luck to everyone else :D

NickyD51

New

Post by NickyD51 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:11 pm

pink_law14 wrote:received my rejection letter today... status checker still says file complete.

im shocked by a denial-- i was predicting at least waitlist.. im an in-state resident!

good luck to everyone else :D
That sucks, good luck to you wherever you go :(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

publiusjr

New

Post by publiusjr » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:32 pm

were you rejected pt or ft?

I heard rutgers tries to have at least 25%-30% minority students. Is that true?

inSouthAmerica

Bronze

Post by inSouthAmerica » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:40 pm

gotta be more.

publiusjr

New

Post by publiusjr » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:50 pm

To me law school is one place where people cannot complain about quotas because every law school I have been to is very,very white. If you dont make it then you just had a bad package.

inSouthAmerica

Bronze

Post by inSouthAmerica » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:27 pm

nobody is complaining.
its a fact rutgers-newark is not very, very white.
quick facts statistics page lists 39% as "students of color".
adding latino and asian populations its make up is significantly more than 25-30% minority.
in addition 42% of the faculty is listed as "minority"

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

publiusjr

New

Post by publiusjr » Wed Apr 21, 2010 6:58 pm

no I didnt mean you. I read on other forums people tried to sue because they got denied.

I met an admissions officer from rutgers at a fair and all she wanted to talk about was the diversity. I could care less who I am sitting next too. I dont view people based on race but she was annoying.

pink_law14

New

Post by pink_law14 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:32 pm

i applied FT. Im a traditional, non URM, but instate. 3.2ugpa, 154... sounds like a waitlist to me!

inSouthAmerica

Bronze

Post by inSouthAmerica » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:35 pm

i think the key is to apply in september with those numbers.

inSouthAmerica

Bronze

Post by inSouthAmerica » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:23 pm

fyi, the status check works much better for accepted students official undergraduate transcripts than it does for applicants. done and done.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rutgers1L_10

Bronze

Post by Rutgers1L_10 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:22 pm

inSouthAmerica wrote:nobody is complaining.
its a fact rutgers-newark is not very, very white.
quick facts statistics page lists 39% as "students of color".
adding latino and asian populations its make up is significantly more than 25-30% minority
in addition 42% of the faculty is listed as "minority"

The 39% "students of color" already includes Latinos and Asians. Minority= the total number of all students that are from any non-white category (black/African American, Hispanic, Asian, Alaskan/Hawaiin Native, Native American, Puerto rican etc.). That number is about right, I think. Rutgers is definitely no very, very, white.

Speaking of students of color, let me give you my 2¢. When you attend school there will be tons of students groups inviting you to join and sign up for their buddy programs...DO IT!!! The benefits of being involved in a student group, even if it is a group run by/for minority students it's open to anyone and everyone and I guarantee you'll get a ton out of it.
Like what, you may ask:
1) Free food/booze- at least once a week for the first semester. Student group general meetings ALWAYS have free food/drinks
2) Buddy- get a 2L or 3L mentor who can help you navigate you 1L year
3) Mentor- alumni of the school and various student groups often return to give students advice, and mentor them and offer to take them to lunch (see #1)
4) Outlines- who wouldn't want a word-for-word script of every case your professor is going to go over, and every lame joke he'll say during the semester. These outlines are better than pics of the leaked iPhone
5) Study guides/supplements- many groups have supplement swaps.All you do is show up and they give you a free supplement to one of your classes
6) Something to put on your resume--it may not seem like much but many employers actually want to know that you did more than just sit in class all day. Just like in high school when you joined 20 groups so you could look good to college admissions officers, employers want to know you are a people person and team player. No better way to show that than by being a 1L rep
7) Advance access to legal employers- many student groups but one a large-scale party attended by many judges and lawyers and if you're active in the group, or a 1L rep you can volunteer to help set up for the event and meet and greet (schmooze) with all the judges and lawyers in attendance
I highly recommend attending the buddy mixers

On a different note:
Just thought I'd check in with the class of 2013 (and the prospective class of 2013) to see how you guys (and gals) are hanging in there. I hope you have all had a chance to visit the school. This is the last week of classes (for 1Ls the rest of the school finishes on Monday). So if you come visit after this week you'll probably see a pretty empty place. But, if you are still awaiting decision, or have been WL don't downplay a visit to the dean. If your app is borderline a visit and a show of face can do a lot to throw you over the edge. Does that advantage people that live in the region over people that don't or can't make it? YES, absolutely. But this late in the game it's crunch time and you've gotta pull out all the stops.

get it to x

Bronze

Post by get it to x » Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:53 am

Hey Rutgers 1_L or anyone else who is currently a student, what was the thing you didn't expect from Rutgers going in that you wish you had known prior?

NJ914

New

Post by NJ914 » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:47 am

Taking the train up from Baltimore tomorrow morning to visit the campus, finally. It's down to Seton vs. this for me and Seton is so much more goddamn expensive. Admissions said it's the last day of classes so I can't sit in on anything, unfortunately. Their work study student that does tours is out for the day...will trade food/beer for a campus tour if any of you 1Ls/etc read this 8)

publiusjr

New

Post by publiusjr » Thu Apr 22, 2010 12:03 pm

both schools have a strong almuni network in NJ but Rutgers might be a little head on that. Seton Hall has a very good intellectual property program.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”