Rutgers Newark Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bernie shmegma

Bronze

Re: Rutgers Newark

Post by bernie shmegma » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:08 pm

Dionysus wrote:Also got accepted with an 18k renewable scholarship. The money and close proximity to home makes Rutgers- Newark a tempting choice.
You could go to law school for $12,000 TOTAL which is sick vs. like NYC, paying for living in Hoboken or the city plus possibly paying sticker or even with some $ at an expensive private school. It's all a matter of the rankings and if you mind going to and/or living in Newark everyday. For that price It's really just a matter of the rankings IMO because that part of Newark is not bad. And past the T14, they are all splitting hairs, especially when considering them as an investment. Most people on this blog may think its crazy to turn down Fordham, even PT at sticker for RU in-state with a scholly. I'm not so sure about that...If one graduates at the top of their class and networks well, graduating from Rutgers could be just as valuable with the money even-up, let alone uneven. I guess it all has to do with BigLaw in NY vs. Jersey law and the odds of succeeding in life, not the potential to succeed. Plus if you live in the area and you have friends and family around, you can always get a meal or have people to meet up with. Its not like ur giving up NYC life completely either.

I am basically rationalizing like I'm talking to you, but in reality, this is my conscience talking to myself. haha. Let me know what your thoughts are. I didn't get the money you got, but I'm at 12 G's a year in-state and It's within very close proximity to home for me as well.

Also... I am curious to see what a type of money a private school like Seton Hall gives its applicants this year. Cardozo and Brooklyn as well. None have football teams though or GREASE TRUCKS! (Yes, Keg411, i am well aware they are down in Piscataway, thanks :wink: I just like posting that along with the idea that its RU, gives me a sense of pride if I make this choice)
Last edited by bernie shmegma on Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:11 pm

bernie shmegma wrote:
Dionysus wrote:Also got accepted with an 18k renewable scholarship. The money and close proximity to home makes Rutgers- Newark a tempting choice.
You could go to law school for $12,000 which is sick vs. like NYC, paying for living in Hoboken or the city plus possibly paying sticker or even with some $ at an expensive private school. It's all a matter of the rankings and if you mind going to and/or living in Newark everyday. For that price It's really just a matter of the rankings IMO because that part of Newark is not bad. Plus if you live in the area and you have friends and family around, you can always get a meal or have people to meet up with. Its not like ur giving up NYC life completely either.

I am basically rationalizing like I'm talking to you, but in reality, this is my conscience talking to myself. haha. Let me know what your thoughts are. I didn't get the money you got, but I'm at 12 G's a year in-state and It's within very close proximity to home for me as well.

Also... I am curious to see what a type of money a private school like Seton Hall gives its applicants this year. Cardozo and Brooklyn as well. None have football teams though or GREASE TRUCKS! (Yes, Keg411, i am well aware they are down in Piscataway, thanks :wink: I just like posting that along with the idea that its RU, gives me a sense of pride if I make this choice)

I'm debating the same thing myself. Rutgers offered me 18K per year, plus I live only 30 min from Newark so I could take the train each day to school and have my living expenses come out to 0. So I would essentially graduate completely debt free. Compare that to some of the NYC schools that charge 40K a year, plus the 20K a year it takes to live in NYC. Add in all other expenses and you could possibly be in the hole for 70K a year. I don't know about most people, but there are very few choices that could sway me away from graduating debt free from a reputable place like Rutgers.

bernie shmegma

Bronze

Post by bernie shmegma » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:26 pm

dakatz wrote:
bernie shmegma wrote:
You could go to law school for $12,000 which is sick vs. like NYC, paying for living in Hoboken or the city plus possibly paying sticker or even with some $ at an expensive private school. It's all a matter of the rankings and if you mind going to and/or living in Newark everyday. For that price It's really just a matter of the rankings IMO because that part of Newark is not bad. Plus if you live in the area and you have friends and family around, you can always get a meal or have people to meet up with. Its not like ur giving up NYC life completely either.

I'm debating the same thing myself. Rutgers offered me 18K per year, plus I live only 30 min from Newark so I could take the train each day to school and have my living expenses come out to 0. So I would essentially graduate completely debt free. Compare that to some of the NYC schools that charge 40K a year, plus the 20K a year it takes to live in NYC. Add in all other expenses and you could possibly be in the hole for 70K a year. I don't know about most people, but there are very few choices that could sway me away from graduating debt free from a reputable place like Rutgers.
Ok, so we got a crew going. This is good. I feel the love and support here. I think I would do the same and live at home 20 minutes away and drive or take the train, depending on how the traffic looks on that commute. We would have such a good deal. I mean I don't know about you, but I don't need the college experience again. i don't mind having good food, some laundry done for me, and some family time. I think I lived it up enough, in fact perhaps that is why my GPA screwed my potential for this cycle.

How the F is everyone getting 18K? You think it's awkward for me to ask for more $$ if I get offers from other schools? I guess Dionysis has two points up on me on the LSAT and a .1 point difference on the GPA. There's my answer. Out of curiosity though, not that I am being greedy, how do ppl go about asking for more money? I hear all the time people post advice saying to always ask for more money if you have choices.

Either way, it could possibly be $12,000-40,000 total cost vs. $210,000 total cost. Not to mention if one falls in love with a career path that isn't big law, I don't know how great those Loan repayment deals are considering it takes a 10 year commitment or if you don't take a loan, is really just a waste of an investment at one of the City schools (unless NYU or Columbia, then it's worth it IMO- until I'm proven otherwise of course).

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:41 pm

I'm surprised nobody has come in here to talk about how Rutgers is a huge waste of time because they aren't T30. Tier 2 bashing seems to be a popular sport here on TLS.

(I personally am honored and excited to have been accepted to Rutgers, and have nothing bad to say about it at all)

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:50 pm

People with scholarship offers--what are your LSAT/GPA? Thanks!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:55 pm

JOThompson wrote:People with scholarship offers--what are your LSAT/GPA? Thanks!
165/no GPA (see profile)/18k

bernie shmegma

Bronze

Post by bernie shmegma » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:56 pm

JOThompson wrote:People with scholarship offers--what are your LSAT/GPA? Thanks!
Check Profiles, I'm in-state FYI - It makes a difference for their method of rewarding scholarships. Many ppl's profiles don't say that, so that is also a questions you may want to ask.

166/3.1 - $12,000 a year renewable with 3.0 GPA

bernie shmegma

Bronze

Post by bernie shmegma » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:07 pm

Burger in a can wrote:I'm surprised nobody has come in here to talk about how Rutgers is a huge waste of time because they aren't T30. Tier 2 bashing seems to be a popular sport here on TLS.

(I personally am honored and excited to have been accepted to Rutgers, and have nothing bad to say about it at all)
Yeah because you aren't obnoxious and superficial. It remains to be seen depending on if I get into other schools an what I decide to do. T1 vs. T2. I am leaning towards the latter unless I get in ED to the particular school in which I am reaching for.

I have an interesting question. Supposedly as we have heard from other posts out of staters like yourself can get in-state tuition once you sing a 12-month lease. However, may out of staters get more scholarship money because RU makes up for the price difference in tuition. Now, does that scholarship remain absolute even if an out of stater switches to in-state. Is this a loophole? If so, and if it works, Burger-in-a-can, you owe me a beer next year.
Last edited by bernie shmegma on Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:09 pm

Appreciate the info. LSP listed me as an admit, so I was hoping for a small scholarship, which I didn't receive. I'm still very happy about being admitted though. :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bernie shmegma

Bronze

Post by bernie shmegma » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:11 pm

JOThompson wrote:Appreciate the info. LSP listed me as an admit, so I was hoping for a small scholarship, which I didn't receive. I'm still very happy about being admitted though. :)
When did u hear from SH? Congrats by the way! Mazel mazel good things good things.

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:16 pm

bernie shmegma wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:I'm surprised nobody has come in here to talk about how Rutgers is a huge waste of time because they aren't T30. Tier 2 bashing seems to be a popular sport here on TLS.

Yeah because you aren't obnoxious and superficial. It remains to be seen depending on if I get into other schools an what I decide to do. T1 vs. T2. I am leaning towards the latter unless I get in ED to the particular school in which I am reaching for.

I have an interesting question. Supposedly as we have heard from other posts out of staters like yourself can get in-state tuition once you sing a 12-month lease. However, may out of staters get more scholarship money because RU makes up for the price difference in tuition. Now, does that scholarship remain absolute even if an out of stater switches to in-state. Is this a loophole? If so, and if it works, Burger-in-a-can, you owe me a beer next year.
Haha! I don't know whether the scholarship would stand if I was able to squirm my way into the resident tuition. If that's the way it works out, and we both end up in Newark, I'll buy you a case of beer.

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:19 pm

bernie shmegma wrote:
JOThompson wrote:Appreciate the info. LSP listed me as an admit, so I was hoping for a small scholarship, which I didn't receive. I'm still very happy about being admitted though. :)
When did u hear from SH? Congrats by the way! Mazel mazel good things good things.
Yeah, how did you hear back from so many places already, JOThompson?

bernie shmegma

Bronze

Post by bernie shmegma » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:24 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
bernie shmegma wrote:

Haha! I don't know whether the scholarship would stand if I was able to squirm my way into the resident tuition. If that's the way it works out, and we both end up in Newark, I'll buy you a case of beer.
Ight, Deal. I only hope for your sake that we have that opportunity. You drink Sierra Nevada by any chance?

Has anyone actually visited Rutgers-Newark yet. If so, how is the actual law school building? How's the library and other facilities? I know the area immediately around the campus is not bad and they have a nice little campus for what it is and the area its in, but I am unfamiliar with the school itself and that one thread with the pictures sucks and was not very telling as the school was closed.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bernie shmegma

Bronze

Post by bernie shmegma » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:29 pm

I think JOThomson is an spy of some sort... Call me paranoid, but that is why giving too much info is a bad idea on these things. The spy thing is a joke, but not really because not one person I know has heard from SH or Cardozo and both have notified this person already? Something ain't right? What's the Deal yo?

They're hired scouts from the Low T1, T2 trying to gauge this years scholarship allocation rubric to lure students away from State schools like Rutgers. One giant Marketing scheme I tell you. As if we are idiotic consumers like the rest... The only thing is that the strategy becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy and the quality of the schools actually have potential to increase with time and thus become a good investment... Oh the analysis of the legal education industry, so fascinating. This website along with lsn, has really changed the dynamic and resources for these institutions quite some bit.

If we were smart, we would collaborate and start increasing our scholarship posts.... hmmmm.
Last edited by bernie shmegma on Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kasparov

New

Post by kasparov » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:30 pm

Burger in a can wrote:

where did you attend undergrad (if you don't mind me asking)? My UG also used narrative evals.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:38 pm

Rutgers is pretty cheap and is strongly thought of in NJ. No reason to bash it; it's an inexpensive regional school, so as long as you want to practice in NJ (which most people here seem to like :)), there's nothing wrong with it. I've heard it mentioned that RU-N does some placement in NYC, but I'm wary when I hear that (I think the placement on that NJL250 chart has to do with big firms in NJ like Lowenstein and some of the NJ offices of the big NYC firms). Still it's a good, solid school.

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:48 pm

kasparov wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:

where did you attend undergrad (if you don't mind me asking)? My UG also used narrative evals.
Sent you a PM.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:53 pm

keg411 wrote:

Rutgers is pretty cheap and is strongly thought of in NJ. No reason to bash it; it's an inexpensive regional school, so as long as you want to practice in NJ (which most people here seem to like :)), there's nothing wrong with it. I've heard it mentioned that RU-N does some placement in NYC, but I'm wary when I hear that (I think the placement on that NJL250 chart has to do with big firms in NJ like Lowenstein and some of the NJ offices of the big NYC firms). Still it's a good, solid school.
Yeah, I don't care very much about NYC placement. I am interested in doing public interest/local gov't work at a small city/town level, so I don't even really care about biglaw. I am not a New Jersey resident, but my girlfriend was born and raised in the dirty jerz, so I have come to know and love it there. :) I (hopefully) will have a couple of options when it comes time to decide where I'm going, but Rutgers is definitely not out of the question, regardless of what I hear from grouchy people on here.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:14 pm

Burger, if that's your interest, you'll love a school like Rutgers-Newark. From what I understand they are very big on PI (especially civil rights and things like that) and especially big on local government.

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:25 pm

bernie shmegma wrote:I think JOThomson is an spy of some sort... Call me paranoid, but that is why giving too much info is a bad idea on these things. The spy thing is a joke, but not really because not one person I know has heard from SH or Cardozo and both have notified this person already? Something ain't right? What's the Deal yo?

They're hired scouts from the Low T1, T2 trying to gauge this years scholarship allocation rubric to lure students away from State schools like Rutgers. One giant Marketing scheme I tell you. As if we are idiotic consumers like the rest... The only thing is that the strategy becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy and the quality of the schools actually have potential to increase with time and thus become a good investment... Oh the analysis of the legal education industry, so fascinating. This website along with lsn, has really changed the dynamic and resources for these institutions quite some bit.

If we were smart, we would collaborate and start increasing our scholarship posts.... hmmmm.
I applied to Seton Hall toward the end of last cycle and was accepted with $20k/year. Sorry for the confusion.

I took the summer off to focus on my personal statement, and submitted most my apps early on, so that may be why I've heard back from so many schools already (most of my decisions have been rejections, as you'll notice from my profile). As for Cardozo, I was waitlisted for the January class. I'm really flattered that you consider me a spy. If you'd like, I'll forward the Cardozo WL email to you.

bernie shmegma

Bronze

Post by bernie shmegma » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:41 pm

JOThompson wrote:
bernie shmegma wrote:I think JOThomson is an spy of some sort... Call me paranoid, but that is why giving too much info is a bad idea on these things. The spy thing is a joke, but not really because not one person I know has heard from SH or Cardozo and both have notified this person already? Something ain't right? What's the Deal yo?

I applied to Seton Hall toward the end of last cycle and was accepted with $20k/year. Sorry for the confusion.

I took the summer off to focus on my personal statement, and submitted most my apps early on, so that may be why I've heard back from so many schools already (most of my decisions have been rejections, as you'll notice from my profile). As for Cardozo, I was waitlisted for the January class. I'm really flattered that you consider me a spy. If you'd like, I'll forward the Cardozo WL email to you.
hahaha no thats alright, I believe you and thanks for clearing that up for us who are waiting to hear back. That rant of a situation wasn't outside the realm of possibilities though...

$20K a year, so that makes SH about the price of Rutgers In-state Full-time without any money. If you don't get any money from Rutgers, then I would tend to think my theory may apply to some extent. They have this down pat, and I wouldn't be surprised if they used Toplawschools and lawschoolnumbers as reference points each cycle (obv taking the info with a grain of salt). Keep us posted if you do get an offer from RU minus the potential variable of you seeking $ (for theory sake).

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:47 pm

JOThompson wrote:

Sorry to hear about your rejections, but congrats on Minnesota! That's pretty awesome! If you want, you could try to leverage your admits to higher-ranked schools for $$$ at Rutgers. I was just reading about scholarship negotiations, and apparently people do that sometimes.

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:49 pm

keg411 wrote:Burger, if that's your interest, you'll love a school like Rutgers-Newark. From what I understand they are very big on PI (especially civil rights and things like that) and especially big on local government.
Thanks! That's actually why I applied! :)

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Sat Dec 12, 2009 2:55 pm

Why would anyone call anyone else here a "spy"???? Or maybe I'm just not a conspiracy theorist (haha). Schools are probably aware of the scholly's and people negotiate all the time. It's not a new phenomenon.

bernie shmegma

Bronze

Post by bernie shmegma » Sat Dec 12, 2009 3:45 pm

There is a slight satirical tone to my posts, but I guess that's the problem with typing and not speaking.

Conspiracy theorist, ehh your entitled to your opinion. If my little rant was not for realistic discussion, it was for entertainment. I don't think anyone is offended by the Spy comment. To those who were, please read the post in a different tone in your head. JOThomspon was cool with it. I think he understood I wasn't accusing him of being a REAL SPY. Are we now considering that a sensitive and derogatory term no matter the context these days? If so should I be offended by the inference that I am a conspiracy theorist?

Anyway, if we are talking about what my point was, obviously some of it is no new phenomenon. I wouldn't be surprised however, if certain employees, hired for the specific purpose of USnews innovation, marketing, school website marketing and interaction, and reputation management for schools maintain the image of the institution that compete with certain other regional competitors use these sights as resources. They could promote their own cause, question their competing schools, and find out what applicants are looking for, including scholarship data. I'm not saying that they are doing anything wrong or illegal, and maybe to some it is obvious that this would be common practice, I don't know, I am just bringing up the conversation, but I guess I digress from the point of this thread: To talk about Rutgers- Newark.

Keep in mind this may be relevant to one's decision if they understand what goes into the rankings, incentives, and attractions to bring in students to one school vs. another that may not necessarily have anything to do with the education, career prospects, and experience. I think that is how it originated and why I brought it up after the whole T1, T2 convo.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”