Rutgers Newark Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mhd08

Bronze

Re: Rutgers Newark

Post by mhd08 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:04 am

bernie shmegma wrote:
mhd08 wrote:Has anyone been successful negotiating scholarships with Rutgers? I have an e-mail ready to send, but I'd like to send it in a PM to someone who has been successful in negotiating their scholarship.
Quite difficult to negotiate your scholarship at RU. Although, see how it goes with a formal persuasive e-mail instead of a phone call if you don't mind putting it down in writing.
That's exactly what I did. I have a better scholarship from a peer school so I'm hoping that persuades them.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:31 am

mhd08 wrote:Has anyone been successful negotiating scholarships with Rutgers? I have an e-mail ready to send, but I'd like to send it in a PM to someone who has been successful in negotiating their scholarship.
Me - but my LSAT went up.

kissy

Bronze

Post by kissy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:52 am

so i just received scholarship information from one of my safety schools (quinnipiac), and they're offering $25k / year as long as i'm in the top 50%. rutgers, on the other hand, is only offering $5k as long as i maintain a 3.33 ... i've pretty much comitted to rutgers (i sent in my seat deposit, etc.), so is it even worth it to send them QU's offer and try to squeeze any more money out of them? i'm fairly certain they aren't going to think for a second that i'd attend QU.

get it to x

Bronze

Post by get it to x » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:59 am

Similar situation. To whom would I direct the e-mail to?

kissy

Bronze

Post by kissy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:02 pm

:?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

tesseract0421

New

Post by tesseract0421 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:10 pm

kissy wrote:so i just received scholarship information from one of my safety schools (quinnipiac), and they're offering $25k / year as long as i'm in the top 50%. rutgers, on the other hand, is only offering $5k as long as i maintain a 3.33 ... i've pretty much comitted to rutgers (i sent in my seat deposit, etc.), so is it even worth it to send them QU's offer and try to squeeze any more money out of them? i'm fairly certain they aren't going to think for a second that i'd attend QU.
yea I'm pretty sure that's not going to work...especially since you already committed to RU with seat deposit....they have absolutely no incentive to up your scholarship....it would be one thing if quinnipiac was higher ranked than RU...

That said, you won't get it if you don't ask...worst case is that you still attend RU with only $5K...

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:12 pm

kissy wrote:so i just received scholarship information from one of my safety schools (quinnipiac), and they're offering $25k / year as long as i'm in the top 50%. rutgers, on the other hand, is only offering $5k as long as i maintain a 3.33 ... i've pretty much comitted to rutgers (i sent in my seat deposit, etc.), so is it even worth it to send them QU's offer and try to squeeze any more money out of them? i'm fairly certain they aren't going to think for a second that i'd attend QU.
3.33 is Top 50% at Camden. I looked into it. They have a B+ curve, not a B curve.

kissy

Bronze

Post by kissy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:19 pm

keg411 wrote:
3.33 is Top 50% at Camden. I looked into it. They have a B+ curve, not a B curve.
that's actually pretty interesting. i don't really have that much of an understanding as to how the whole law school curving process works, but i'm assuming a B+ curve is more favorable compared to a lower curve, correct? so the majority of the grades will be B+'s & B's, with less A's & C's? or am i way off...

anyone bored enough to offer a brief explanation of the curve is more than welcome :lol:

ericng314

New

Post by ericng314 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:39 pm

I was successful with negotiating scholarship. Previously Rutgers offered me nothing. Then I used Seton Hall's 10K scholarship for bargaining. I also have a unique socioeconomic background (Asian, low-income, grew up in public housing, abysmally poor) so mentioning that in my email definitely helped. I ended up getting $6,000 from Rutgers. I was unsure of whether to go to Seton Hall or Rutgers but Rutger's scholarship was definitely a factor in my decision.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:41 pm

kissy wrote:
keg411 wrote:
that's actually pretty interesting. i don't really have that much of an understanding as to how the whole law school curving process works, but i'm assuming a B+ curve is more favorable compared to a lower curve, correct? so the majority of the grades will be B+'s & B's, with less A's & C's? or am i way off...

anyone bored enough to offer a brief explanation of the curve is more than welcome :lol:
It means that the "median" grade is a B+... meaning most of the grades are a B+. Camden doesn't publish their curve, so it's tough to really know the distributions. Newark cuves to about a 3.0 according to Rutgers_1L and others.

kissy

Bronze

Post by kissy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:45 pm

keg411 wrote:
kissy wrote:
keg411 wrote:

It means that the "median" grade is a B+... meaning most of the grades are a B+. Camden doesn't publish their curve, so it's tough to really know the distributions. Newark cuves to about a 3.0 according to Rutgers_1L and others.
thanks keg, that's basically what i assumed!

Edit: and congrats on sending in your deposit :D , you're still waiting for WL's though, correct?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:59 pm

I'm waiting on WL's and a bunch of pending apps -- and I still haven't ruled out Camden since their seat deposit isn't until 5/1.

kissy

Bronze

Post by kissy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:07 pm

yeah same here, but i doubt i'm going to get any $$$ from the schools i haven't heard from yet ... and the difference in ranking isn't THAT much as to justify paying ~$100k more. aside from this website, i've heard a lot of good things about both rutgers campuses, and am perfectly fine with graduating from ru-c. i'm happy with my decision to send in a deposit, mainly because now it's not as much of a waiting game, and i'm visiting ru-c tomorrow so hopefully that cements my decision!

that being said, and depending on how my 1L grades are (because, tbh, who the fuck knows what to expect), i'm not ruling out the possibility of transferring to a tier 1.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lovaholic

New

Post by lovaholic » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:40 pm

scgirl33 wrote:I am curious as to housing during the MSP program. Any ideas?
Well, as far as I know-it's not a residential program. I believe the days are from 9am to 4pm. I am not going to be living on campus-so I don't know if they would just let you move in earlier if you're from the area.

sunshinefairy

Bronze

Post by sunshinefairy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:13 pm

Admitted via email!!!!!

bjf

Bronze

Post by bjf » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:15 pm

Congrats, Sunshinefairy!!! That's awesome!

Now if the rest of us could hear back...

badpixie

Bronze

Post by badpixie » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:18 pm

sunshinefairy wrote:Admitted via email!!!!!
Congrats!!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kissy

Bronze

Post by kissy » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:25 pm

badpixie wrote:
sunshinefairy wrote:Admitted via email!!!!!
Congrats!!!

donewithannarbor

New

Post by donewithannarbor » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:28 pm

If any of you have specific questions about preparing for Rutgers-Newark or where to live, etc., feel free to send me a PM. I'm a current 2L and happy to help you all. Congrats on your decisions.

pink_law14

New

Post by pink_law14 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:58 pm

still nothing. complete since 1/28... what is going on????? :(

NickyD51

New

Post by NickyD51 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:45 pm

So I decided I'm not gonna apply to any other schools but RN, I live 20 minutes away, graduated there last May with a 3.25 and Double Major Finance and MIS. I got a 156 on the Feb LSATs, studied 3 weeks, so if I don't get in I plan on studying hardcore and hopefully will get in next year, however next year I will apply to other schools as well. I'm crossing my fingers tho bcause I REALLLLY hated that LSAT and never want to see it again!!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

wizoz

Bronze

Post by wizoz » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:51 pm

@NickyD51 sounds like you should be alright.

ericng314

New

Post by ericng314 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:57 pm

I scored at about that range, so you should have no problem w/ getting in.

NickyD51

New

Post by NickyD51 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:58 pm

Thanks guys, I hope to see you in August!!

inSouthAmerica

Bronze

Post by inSouthAmerica » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:32 pm

lol. i've been internet-less for a little bit (gasp). i get back on, start reading where i left off, and had to look 3 or 4 times at the top of the page to make sure i wasn't on the camden page.

@kissy - are you going to newark now? what happened to camden? in other news, i don't think rutgers considers itself as in direct competition with quinipiac being that theyre private, TTT, and not in our state.
@nickyD51 - i'd feel a lot more comfortable if i were you if i retook and got a 158/9 than applying with a 156.
@keg411 - "oh i'm sending in my seat deposit, doesn't mean i'm going though" - such a tease.
@donewithannarbor - thanks for the offer, we will take you up on it. don't take offense if we're partial to rutgers1L_10. s/he's our bono.

congrats to those newly admitted. don't forget to join the facebook group if you're committed.
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=110366588982164
also, if you know you're coming, rep us on the TLS Class of 2013 page. Hawkeye updates regularly.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 25&t=83123

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”