Rutgers Newark Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bernie shmegma

Bronze

Re: Rutgers Newark

Post by bernie shmegma » Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:57 pm

oberlin08 wrote:
bernie shmegma wrote:
keg411 wrote:Hoboken isn't going to be reasonable; it's very expensive (also, if you're looking here, as a law student DO NOT LIVE ON WASHINGTON STREET. It can get LOUD). Jersey City slightly less so, but it's still going to run pricey. TBH, COL is high in this area overall. Not quite NYC-level high, but it's really not cheap. If you go out to the suburbs, you can probably get something for less if you really look (and that's more in renting a house somewhere with a bunch of people), but you're also going to need a car. In fact, unless you're in Hoboken/JC/Ironbound, I'd say you DEFINITELY need a car in NJ. I'm sure people do without, but I personally wouldn't.
Find an apartment in a suburban town walking distance from the NJ transit train if you can't have a car, don't want to live in Newark, and can't afford JC/Hoboken. Go to NJ transit and look at the map and look into those towns. I'd Check out Maplewood area if this fits anyone's situation. No idea about apartments by the train there though... just a pointer in the right direction.

Maybe the train station might be in walking distance to your apt, but the grocery store or anything else might not. Just something to consider if youre gonna go the suburban route when choosing a place to live. These places are not set up for pedestrians
Yeah, downtown Maplewood has a grocery store, movie theater, places to eat, liquor store, train station and is only 4 or 5 stops from Newark on NJ transit. It is in between Millburn and South Orange, which is a good hybrid for cost/neighborhood considerations. Just a suggestion to all non-driving Rutgers-Newarkers who don't want to live in Newark, but don;t want to drop bills on Hoboken or JC, not that i know anything about Rent costs or apartments in Maplewood, which is why i am telling those who fit this description to look into it.

inSouthAmerica

Bronze

Post by inSouthAmerica » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:27 pm

life wont be cheap in maplewood.

Jules Winnfield

Bronze

Post by Jules Winnfield » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:39 pm

Last edited by Jules Winnfield on Sat Mar 27, 2010 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

inSouthAmerica

Bronze

Post by inSouthAmerica » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:46 am

yeah, not as well as columbia. go there.

wizoz

Bronze

Post by wizoz » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:43 pm

Rutgers places really, really well in NY. I wouldn't be so quick to jump on the Columbia bandwagon because of ROI. So many people on this site care about national appeal of a school but I don't fully understand that emphasized value especially since every lawyer I know groans at the very thought of having to get barred in multiple states.

I'm cost sensitive and I'm about wealth building. I figure if I can go to Rutgers and likely make $120k to start and have $60k (in-state) debt, I'll be richer upon graduation than the Columbia grad making $160k with $138k in debt. And, you'll still have the chance to land a 160k job anyway upon leaving Rutgers. Decision is on you but I'd say chart it out and see which option will be most lucrative to you post-grad. I'd even place a value on what the Columbia name means to you and then do some math.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:47 pm

wizoz wrote:Rutgers places really, really well in NY. I wouldn't be so quick to jump on the Columbia bandwagon because of ROI. So many people on this site care about national appeal of a school but I don't fully understand that emphasized value especially since every lawyer I know groans at the very thought of having to get barred in multiple states.

I'm cost sensitive and I'm about wealth building. I figure if I can go to Rutgers and likely make $120k to start and have $60k (in-state) debt, I'll be richer upon graduation than the Columbia grad making $160k with $138k in debt. And, you'll still have the chance to land a 160k job anyway upon leaving Rutgers. Decision is on you but I'd say chart it out and see which option will be most lucrative to you post-grad. I'd even place a value on what the Columbia name means to you and then do some math.
Huh? "Likely make 120K to start"? Do you have any idea how few people out of Rutgers will make a salary like this? This type of salary is incredibly rare for most graduates of every school except the top ones. And even at the top ones, those biglaw jobs with huge salaries are by no means "easy" to come by. You need to be much more realistic with your expectations.

nyjfanjmk

New

Post by nyjfanjmk » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:50 pm

Went today for the open house and was very impressed. All of the faculty who spoke were very intelligent, engaging, and just seemed like good people to be around. My one big concern is with the living situation (did NOT like the dorm at all), but that's not the end of the world; there are plenty of good places to live nearby.

I'd love to hear feedback from others who were there.

Rutgers1L_10

Bronze

Post by Rutgers1L_10 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:27 pm

dakatz wrote:
wizoz wrote:Rutgers places really, really well in NY. I wouldn't be so quick to jump on the Columbia bandwagon because of ROI. So many people on this site care about national appeal of a school but I don't fully understand that emphasized value especially since every lawyer I know groans at the very thought of having to get barred in multiple states.

Huh? "Likely make 120K to start"? Do you have any idea how few people out of Rutgers will make a salary like this? This type of salary is incredibly rare for most graduates of every school except the top ones. And even at the top ones, those biglaw jobs with huge salaries are by no means "easy" to come by. You need to be much more realistic with your expectations.
FYI:
Ballard Spahr, Bressler Amery, Day Pitney, Fox Rothschild, Gibbons, K&L Gates, Latham Watkins, Lowenstein Sandler, McCarter English, Riker Danzig, Sills Summis, Wilentz
These are just a few of the New Jersey law firms that recruit at Rutgers, and have a starting salary of at least $110k

This doesn't include the New York offices of any of those firms, which typically have starting salaries slightly higher. This also doesn't include the numerous corporations with equally competitive salaries, that recruit at Rutgers
Prudential, Verizon, MetLife, AllState, BAE, AT&T, Sisco

MIA

New

Post by MIA » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:29 pm

I'm a 1L at Rutgers.

About 15% of our class does BigLaw. Another 25-30% does a clerkship after graduating... and many of those that do clerkships end up doing BigLaw afterwards. I honestly believe that if you rank in the top 25% at rutgers that you will be MORE than fine, and that even our top 50% students do well.

My grades are probably in the top 10-20% and I got a paying job with a BigLaw firm for my 1L summer (they are an Am Law 100 firm). Outside of T14, Cardozo, Fordham and Rutgers have plenty of opportunities in BigLaw... that is, as long as you're in the top 25% and network your butt off. We have a HUGE Alumni base. We have tons of rutgers almumni that graduated from this school, when it use to be ranked in the 40s, that work for BigLaw firms and tons of judges in the NJ/NY courts. Our alumni love hiring Rutgers students... I don't care what the US News Rankings says but firms prefer Rutgers over Seton Hall and we place better. I picked Rutgers over some Top40 schools and I'm glad I made that decision. Goodluck with yours.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

inSouthAmerica

Bronze

Post by inSouthAmerica » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:31 pm

@dakatz - its not ignorance to suggest that ones situation COULD end up better (i.e. less debt and similarly high paying) out of rutgers. sure one's inner prestige whore may not be as well satisfied and a much lower percentage of one's law school buddies may not be moneyed elites on their way to guaranteed future glory, but there is the possibility (and its not impossibly small, its just very hard) that rutgers ends up a better financial life decision than columbia. i agree that you can't bank on it, so don't yell at me.

wizoz

Bronze

Post by wizoz » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:38 pm

dakatz wrote:

This is someone choosing between Columbia and Rutgers. I'm making the assumption that he / she (Jules is a unisex name and I don't feel like reviewing a profile in the case it's listed) is smart. I'm judging that a smart person putting in the effort as would be comparable at Columbia would do well at Rutgers. Therefore, given my reasonable assumptions, I suspect (s)he'd be able to pull through with a $120K start. I stand by my point.

wizoz

Bronze

Post by wizoz » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:46 pm

Rutgers1L_10 wrote:
dakatz wrote:

FYI:
Ballard Spahr, Bressler Amery, Day Pitney, Fox Rothschild, Gibbons, K&L Gates, Latham Watkins, Lowenstein Sandler, McCarter English, Riker Danzig, Sills Summis, Wilentz
These are just a few of the New Jersey law firms that recruit at Rutgers, and have a starting salary of at least $110k

This doesn't include the New York offices of any of those firms, which typically have starting salaries slightly higher. This also doesn't include the numerous corporations with equally competitive salaries, that recruit at Rutgers
Thanks for the amazing list of recruiting firms. :D

Dakatz***

$120k for private practice / corporation work is very reasonable for the NY metro region. I am deliberately using private practice / corporation work b/c. we are comparing Rutgers to Columbia, a school where a great % of students enter into private practice / corp work. It creates a more equivalent comparison.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:47 pm

wizoz wrote:
Rutgers1L_10 wrote:
dakatz wrote:

FYI:

Thanks for the amazing list of recruiting firms. :D

Dakatz***

$120k for private practice / corporation work is very reasonable for the NY metro region. I am deliberately using private practice / corporation work b/c. we are comparing Rutgers to Columbia, a school where a great % of students enter into private practice / corp work. It creates a more equivalent comparison.
Well I sure hope you are right, since I'm really considering picking Rutgers :D

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

wizoz

Bronze

Post by wizoz » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:49 pm

nyjfanjmk wrote:Went today for the open house and was very impressed. All of the faculty who spoke were very intelligent, engaging, and just seemed like good people to be around. My one big concern is with the living situation (did NOT like the dorm at all), but that's not the end of the world; there are plenty of good places to live nearby.

I'd love to hear feedback from others who were there.

What was said? I couldn't attend today but would love to hear.

wizoz

Bronze

Post by wizoz » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:54 pm

Just do well in school, it seems, and you'll bank.
What other schools are you considering?

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:59 pm

wizoz wrote:
Got 30K/year from GW, 25K/year from BU, pretty much full tuition from Rutgers-Newark, and also have Chicago and Cornell acceptances at sticker. I'm an NJ local and I live only a short drive from Rutgers. It would certainly be the more finance-friendly choice I can make.

wizoz

Bronze

Post by wizoz » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:29 pm

dakatz wrote:
wizoz wrote:
Got 30K/year from GW, 25K/year from BU, pretty much full tuition from Rutgers-Newark, and also have Chicago and Cornell acceptances at sticker. I'm an NJ local and I live only a short drive from Rutgers. It would certainly be the more finance-friendly choice I can make.
Those are good choices. Congrats on the acceptances.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:29 pm

wizoz wrote:
dakatz wrote:
wizoz wrote:
Those are good choices. Congrats on the acceptances.
Thank you

Rutgers1L_10

Bronze

Post by Rutgers1L_10 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:34 pm

dakatz wrote:
wizoz wrote:
Don't let anyone tell you attending a school like University of Chicago at sticker isn't worth it. I personally believe it is the best school in the nation. Better than Yale and better than Harvard. But, I don't own a magazine, so nobody cares what I think. No matter what you want to do, whether it's work at a large firm making 6 figures, or doing small public interest work, Chicago will get it done 100% of the time. If that is your option do not be afraid of the debt--it's worth it. There is nothing imaginary about the opportunities for T-14 and those for every other school.

Cornell at sticker comes in a close second. What you're going to get is options. The sheer number of employers that you will be exposed to will be exponentially higher than at a school like Rutgers (meaning similar in caliber, location, and prestige). Doors opened only to T-14/Ivy grads will be open for you at Cornell, and those are not the kinds of doors you can open by getting good grades at Rutgers. I don't care if you're in the top 1% at Rutgers you will not have the same access.

I'm not telling you what to do with your money, but don't let Rutgers be a safety if your biggest consideration is the finances afterward. You only get to do law school once and it sets a major course for your career path. Rutgers w/full scholly is a great opportunity, but I would say it would be the better choice for someone that did not have your particular options. Even if you attend Chicago/Cornell and are barely average you will fair better than being in the top at Rutgers.
Congrats on those other acceptances.

inSouthAmerica

Bronze

Post by inSouthAmerica » Fri Mar 26, 2010 7:55 pm

good... chase him away from rutgers.... hed probably kill the curve anyway...

bernie shmegma

Bronze

Post by bernie shmegma » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:04 pm

So I am concerned about the energy of Rutgers. These may be shallow concerns, but they also may indicate something.

Admitted students day is decent. They give you some food, let you sit in a class, ask some questions, but the whole thing is not much of a seller. In fact in kind of confirms my concerns that I find when navigating their awful website. This makes me feel like their budgetary issues are very significant. The amount of clinics or practical skill seminars seem to either be limited or inadequately represented to those outside of the school. They don't offer any vibrant media, they have few events and gatherings, networking opportunities, seem little concerned with marketability, and don't advocate much for student entrepreneurship. Their career services don't seem to be pro-active in maintaining strong relationships with private sector firms or at least they don't show it at all. It's like the school only cares about facilitating public interest and doing so at as little cost a possible without regard for innovation and energetic outreach. The place seems to be one big public bureaucracy.

Does anyone disagree? If you convince me and I confirm your answer, I will delete this post.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Rutgers1L_10

Bronze

Post by Rutgers1L_10 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:04 pm

bernie shmegma wrote:So I am concerned about the energy of Rutgers. These may be shallow concerns, but they also may indicate something.

Admitted students day is decent. They give you some food, let you sit in a class, ask some questions, but the whole thing is not much of a seller. In fact in kind of confirms my concerns that I find when navigating their awful website. This makes me feel like their budgetary issues are very significant. The amount of clinics or practical skill seminars seem to either be limited or inadequately represented to those outside of the school. They don't offer any vibrant media, they have few events and gatherings, networking opportunities, seem little concerned with marketability, and don't advocate much for student entrepreneurship. Their career services don't seem to be pro-active in maintaining strong relationships with private sector firms or at least they don't show it at all. It's like the school only cares about facilitating public interest and doing so at as little cost a possible without regard for innovation and energetic outreach. The place seems to be one big public bureaucracy.

Does anyone disagree? If you convince me and I confirm your answer, I will delete this post.
I assume there was some kind of prospective student day going on today?
A couple of problems with that. Only 1Ls have class on Friday, and nobody bothers showing up (in terms of most faculty) unless they're teaching a 1L course. But mostly Friday is the day they clean the school. That said I would say you are about 75% right on some of your assumptions.
1. Their Budgetary issues are significant
--This is true. Most public schools have issues, Rutgers is no different. Actually, they are different in that they are a very small public school with limited funds and no real pull from the main campus funds in New Brunswick. They aren't able to give out as much money as other public schools for scholarships and grants.
2. The clinics/practical skills seminars are limited or inadequately represented
--Untrue. Rutgers was one of the first schools to offer clinics to law students. They have a number of clinics that perform various types of legal work from Street Law, constitution, litigation, transaction, housing and tax. The clinics offer an incredible amount of real world experience and are used to service the Newark area and to offer legal services to the local community. Other clinics (such as the Con Law clinic) are currently involved in federal litigation and dealing with cases before the Supreme Court. They are always looking for people to join the clinics and the Moot Courts to argue those issues, and do research with professors.
3. They don't offer any vibrant media
--Untrue. At least 3 times last semester there were appellate court trials held in the Rutgers Baker Trail Room. Real appellate judges, real appellate arguments, and real appellate cases. There were also a number of ceremonies to include the swearing in of elected officials. Dean Chen just left Trenton, NJ, where he served as the state's Public Advocate. His presence symbolizes the importance he places not only on public service, but also the commitment to teaching at the school. There are also a number of prolific academics that speak at Rutgers on an almost weekly basis. CNN, FOX News, and Local News media DO NOT come to the school. So if that's the media you're looking for, it won't happen. But it's kind of hard for you to know how many events are held at the school when you've only spent one afternoon there. Oddly enough, you missed 3 events that occurred M, Tues and Thursday. There is one student mixer every week during the first semester. All events have food, and alcohol and are put together by upperclassmen to give you an opportunity to make new friends and find out what kind of contacts your classmates have. There are also a number of mixers, fundraisers, and social gatherings with local lawyers, judges and other legal professionals. There are at least three big events thrown in the first semester by three different student groups as part of the Student Bar Assoc.
4. Don't advocate much for student entrepreneurship
--The sole idea behind entrepreneurship is that you are taking an idea or passion and making it into a reality or career path. Nobody can tell you what you should be doing or how you should go about it. Furthermore, I can say that the faculty is probably much less concerned with what you are going to do after you graduate and much more focused on getting you through your first semester. Once you figure your way around a case book and attend some of the many school events you'll inevitably begin to network and make contacts. Among those contacts, and in addition to the independent faculty research you will probably find more support for your entrepreneurial spirit.
5. Career services doesn't seem to be pro-active in maintaining strong relationships with private sector
--Part true. Part False.
Career services is small and limited. They are not very proactive. They offer the same initial briefs and services to all 1Ls. After the initial meetings its up to you to set up how often you want to visit them. They don't have anything you can't get your hands on. As far as their relationships with the private sector--most students feel the exact opposite. Most people's experience has been that if you don't want a big firm job then career services brushes you off. They have 1 person that deals with public interest, but most people are successful in finding public interest on their own. Career services seems to focus mainly on the people that want to work in the private sector as this is where the majority of their contacts come from. It is against the American Bar Association for 1Ls to have certain contacts with career services. You won't hear a peep from them until Nov 1 of your first semester. After that you'll receive more information than you could possibly handle. While CS can't do anything for you before that time that doesn't stop you from doing your own research.
6. The school only cares about facilitating public interest
--There is a huge push to do public interest. The school knows that RU students don't graduate with a lot of debt. Therefore, they know that it's not as big of a necessity for people to have huge paying jobs. People assume that because it's public interest or lower paying than private sector jobs that it's not a competitive or prestigious job. That is hugely false! The significant contacts RU has with the Attorney General, Prosecutor's Office, Public Advocate, ACLU, US attorney's office, and court systems, just says they are true to their mission. RU never claimed to produce a school full of private sector lawyers. They don't build the kind of environment where students only know law firm jobs exist. They also recognize that they are not getting the type of recruiting they had in the past and are trying to help students understand their options, and to be more creative in career choices.
7. They are doing so at little cost; without innovative or energetic outreach
--This is a valid complaint as it has been well established that there are things that take money, and it has been established that Rutgers is low on money. There are probably many areas where RU skimps, because they just don't have the money. Recruiting and solicitation aren't free. But again, it's kind of difficult for you to gauge exactly how much effort RU puts for in outreach for it's students in one afternoon designed for students that are still considering attending. I will say I've been to schools where they've gone out of their way to give away gifts, and wow you with toys and prizes It's nice and it does add a certain element of desirability. But you get what you get and they don't pretend to have more than they can offer. It's a simple process driven by the true state of economics, their true mission, and realistic factors about their recruiting. If you want to be dazzled it's not going to happen at Rutgers.
8. This place seems to be one big public bureaucracy
--Welcome to law school!

I don't want this to seem like I'm invalidating your concerns. Actually, it's refreshing to see someone thinking ahead and trying to find the nuances and all the negatives of a school. It's easy to like a school for the positive. The question is, will you like your school when you realize all the negative? You can't accurately judge the school or it's resources on one afternoon. But, Rutgers is a public school with limited funds, and a mission to recruit, retain, and graduate community-focused, and well rounded, lawyers. They don't care about spending money in a way that influences US News. That works to their detriment, but mostly it's just superficial. It hardly changes anything academic, but it doesn't sit well with a lot of students. There are a number of schools that can afford to spend the money on recruiting, advertising, and outreach--mostly all the private schools in the area are known for just that. If you want to know what the differences in the ranks are--there it is. Your tuition dollars at (Cardozo, St. Johns, Brooklyn etc.) are being spent on those things. If those are important to you, then make sure you evaluate that in your decision because Rutgers doesn't plan to change any time soon.

Bigbub75

Bronze

Post by Bigbub75 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:29 pm

I went to admitted students day and it was cool. I have been to several all over the country over the past few weeks and this was one of my last schools to visit before I make my decision. A lot of the other schools were focused on trying to "sell" me on there school, Rutgers was not. At first I was a little disappointed, but after I thought I about it I was appreciative of their approach. I feel like Rutgers just stated the facts and kind of left the decision in our hands as opposed to trying to sell us. For some people the school may be a fit for others it may not. I am leaning more towards RU-Newark after my visit today but i want to wait until I visit RU-Camden before i make my final decision. Right now it's between Rutgers Newark, Lewis & Clark and Loyola Chicago. I just have to decide where I want to live and practice. I need to decide soon though, I want to avoid sending multiple seat deposits.

nyjfanjmk

New

Post by nyjfanjmk » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:44 pm

bernie shmegma wrote:So I am concerned about the energy of Rutgers. These may be shallow concerns, but they also may indicate something.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but I think your concerns might be irrelevant. If you're really planning on going to the law school that gives you the flashiest presentation at admitted students' day, then maybe Rutgers isn't the place for you. Keep in mind that this is law school, and what you should be sold on is not how "sexy" the school is but how good of a fit it is for you. If you think that Rutgers is the best place for you to attend law school, then go. If not, don't. It's that simple. Don't make a decision based on how "flashy" of a school it is.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:47 pm

I had a different impression of the school, but a small group program is WAY different than an ASD. The Faculty member who spoke to us spoke extensively about the clinical opportunities and was very upbeat and excited about the school. It's not a flashy school, it's public and they know what they're doing.
Other nice suburbs are Irvington/Maplewood
Irvington is scary. AVOID.AT.ALL.COSTS. (Same for Orange and parts of lower West Orange that border on Orange). I think that the poster was talking about Livingston, and while it's close (and very nice), it's not on a train line.

Anyway, will decide in the next couple of days whether to deposit at RU-N or RU-C (still waiting on my reaches, so I kind of have to just choose before RU-N's deadline of 4/1). Will be at RU-C tomorrow.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”