Rutgers Newark Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Rutgers1L_10

Bronze

Re: Rutgers Newark

Post by Rutgers1L_10 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:30 pm

bjf wrote:OK, so I am in a predicament and I need some advice. I've been complete since February and I haven't heard anything from admissions since my complete e-mail on 2/2. I called the school last week and was told that I would hear something soon, but they didn't look up my file or go into specifics. I have not received any correspondence indicating that I have been deferred, placed on hold or waitlisted. I know that to some people 9 weeks isn't a long time to wait, but many people that applied after me have heard back already. What should I do? Should I send a LOCI or another recommendation letter, or just sit tight and see what happens?

you wont hear anything until they get seat deposts in
hold tight, scooter--they'll get to you
lots of peopel have been complete for a lot longer
they're not real good about saying where you are in the process. they jsut say yes or no to your app.
if your close go visit dean walton and talkt to her and tell her Rutgers is your #1

get it to x

Bronze

Post by get it to x » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:33 pm

If Rutgers' legal environment fosters the critical multitasking skill of getting loaded and providing coherent responses on internet forums, I'm sending in my deposit right now.

Rutgers1L_10

Bronze

Post by Rutgers1L_10 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:35 pm

ericng314 wrote:Just wondering if MSP recipients get any additional scholarships?
nikki fonorotto is the financial aid lady
she send out emails all year about scholarships. but they are for everybody to apply for. if your are minority then there are somethat are just for minority but if you have if you live in certain town then theres is also a scholarhsihp for people that live in certain towns. most of them maek you write a paper. so have one ready like your personal statememt
i dont think msp has its own scholarships from money the school has. and the cscool does not have a lot o fmoney

Rutgers1L_10

Bronze

Post by Rutgers1L_10 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:37 pm

get it to x wrote:If Rutgers' legal environment fosters the critical multitasking skill of getting loaded and providing coherent responses on internet forums, I'm sending in my deposit right now.
you are really funn!
this is about me isn't if
i been drunk since 2ocloclk

i can type and watch basketball too--Yeaaa Rutgers!!

inSouthAmerica

Bronze

Post by inSouthAmerica » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:41 pm

i got no problem with it. just dont break the law.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

get it to x

Bronze

Post by get it to x » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:41 pm

Just good to see you cutting loose! After all the advice and what seems like a very tough first year it's good to know that Rutgers students can relax.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:44 pm

OMG drunk Rutgers_1L :lol: :lol: :lol:. This is too awesome.

BTW, I'm sending my seat deposit tomorrow :D. This isn't a definite that I'll be at RU-N, but it's a step closer.

wizoz

Bronze

Post by wizoz » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:46 pm

Rutgers1L_10 wrote:
ericng314 wrote:Just wondering if MSP recipients get any additional scholarships?
nikki fonorotto is the financial aid lady
she send out emails all year about scholarships. but they are for everybody to apply for. if your are minority then there are somethat are just for minority but if you have if you live in certain town then theres is also a scholarhsihp for people that live in certain towns. most of them maek you write a paper. so have one ready like your personal statememt
i dont think msp has its own scholarships from money the school has. and the cscool does not have a lot o fmoney
The MSP has few special scholarships but MSP students get preferential treatment for many of RU-N's scholarships.

1. ABLS Wanda Green Memorial Scholarship. This annual scholarship was established by the Association of Black Law Students (ABLS) to provide financial assistance to students enrolled at the law school. It will be awarded to full-time students with demonstrated financial need who have overcome extraordinary circumstances, including, but not limited to, the September 11, 2001, terrorist attacks and to Hurricane Katrina, which hit the Gulf Coast on August 29, 2005. If no such student applies, the scholarship will be awarded to a student participating in the Minority Student Program.

2. The McDonald Law Group Equality Scholarship. Established by the McDonald Law Group for a full-time law student based on academic merit and financial need with a preference given to a female student participating in the Minority Student Program.

3. Justice Morris Pashman Scholarship. The Pashman Scholarship supports students, preferably in the Minority Student Program, who demonstrate exceptional talent and financial need. The scholarship, established in 1999 by his family, friends, and colleagues, celebrates the memory of Justice Morris Pashman (’35), who served on the New Jersey Supreme Court for 10 years. It provides full tuition and fees for the recipient's law school career. Recipients are known as Pashman Scholars. They serve as reminders of the high standards of scholarship, dedication, and professionalism that Morris Pashman brought to his 28-year career in the judiciary. A selection committee of law school senior staff and Pashman relatives and former clerks advise the dean on the selection of Pashman Scholars.

4. Marie Slocum Scholarship. Established in honor of the late wife of Professor Alfred A. Slocum and awarded to a first-year student participating in the Minority Student Program. Based upon academic achievement, financial need, and involvement with public interest/community concerns.

5. Special Minority Students Scholarship Fund. Established in 1977 for students in the Minority Student Program who demonstrate financial need.

6. Judge Herbert H. Tate Sr. Scholarship. Established in 1989 by friends of Judge Tate to honor his achievements and memory as a distinguished graduate of the Class of 1935. He was the first African-American diplomat in Asia and the first African American to serve as assistant minority leader in the New Jersey Assembly. The award is provided to a student in the Minority Student Program based on outstanding achievement and financial need.

7. Union Scholarship Fund. Established by the Union Foundation in 1995 to support students from Union County, New Jersey, who are participating in the Minority Student Program. Recipients will be known as Union Scholars.

8. Whitman Family Scholarship. This scholarship was established in 2008 to provide support for students attending the School of Law–Newark. Awards will be given to full-time students based on academic potential and financial need. Preference will be given to students participating in the Minority Student Program.

Rutgers1L_10

Bronze

Post by Rutgers1L_10 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:47 pm

ive got like a buchn of peopel at my house watching the ncaa

they said you guys are going to be fime
and yourll make it through like we have

i'm going to conentrate and tell you this because i love you gusy. we all love you guys and you cant see these guys but they loveyou

you dont know anything else. you will only know life as a 1L based on where you go
so you wont know how hard rutgers is because you never even benn to a law school before
so it will just seem like regular to you and you wont even know how easy it is at anorher school that is not rutgers
you will only be a 1L for one year so dont worry you will make it unless youre an idiot. then you wont make it
but when you do something good you should feel good that you maede it

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

inSouthAmerica

Bronze

Post by inSouthAmerica » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:55 pm

aw, Rutgers1L_10, youre so tender.

bjf

Bronze

Post by bjf » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:14 pm

Rutgers1L_10 wrote:
bjf wrote:OK, so I am in a predicament and I need some advice. I've been complete since February and I haven't heard anything from admissions since my complete e-mail on 2/2. I called the school last week and was told that I would hear something soon, but they didn't look up my file or go into specifics. I have not received any correspondence indicating that I have been deferred, placed on hold or waitlisted. I know that to some people 9 weeks isn't a long time to wait, but many people that applied after me have heard back already. What should I do? Should I send a LOCI or another recommendation letter, or just sit tight and see what happens?

you wont hear anything until they get seat deposts in
hold tight, scooter--they'll get to you
lots of peopel have been complete for a lot longer
they're not real good about saying where you are in the process. they jsut say yes or no to your app.
if your close go visit dean walton and talkt to her and tell her Rutgers is your #1

Thanks for the reassurance, Rutgers1L. It's tough for me to visit during the day bc I work full-time, but I'm def going to try! : )

renee15

New

Post by renee15 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:51 pm

Rutgers1L_10 wrote:ive got like a buchn of peopel at my house watching the ncaa

i'm going to conentrate and tell you this because i love you gusy. we all love you guys and you cant see these guys but they loveyou

you dont know anything else. you will only know life as a 1L based on where you go
so you wont know how hard rutgers is because you never even benn to a law school before
so it will just seem like regular to you and you wont even know how easy it is at anorher school that is not rutgers
you will only be a 1L for one year so dont worry you will make it unless youre an idiot. then you wont make it
Touching. I hope I am not an idiot. I also hope I have time to have Mondays like you are having right now. For real. I will need it.

kissy

Bronze

Post by kissy » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:01 am

Rutgers1L_10 wrote:ive got like a buchn of peopel at my house watching the ncaa

:lol:

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rw2188

New

Post by rw2188 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:16 pm

Ughhh. on hold since mid feb... anyone in a similar predicament?

bernie shmegma

Bronze

Post by bernie shmegma » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:30 pm

rw2188 wrote:Ughhh. on hold since mid feb... anyone in a similar predicament?
There have been a few people recently who have posted on this thread with the same exact situation. My advice is to think of it like this: By April 15 people will be committing to schools in the tri-state area and Rutgers will have a better idea of what is going on with this huge influx of applicants. Or, that enough of the pool has already committed by April 1 and they are now just figuring out their numbers and how many people they may accept out of those who they have not responded to yet. On the other hand, the refund deadline for deposits is July 1st so that is more of a symbolic commitment date, but that would be terrible if you had to wait until then. I hope you hear soon (at least before May 1) though and that its good news for you. Keep us posted.

wizoz

Bronze

Post by wizoz » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:19 pm

Why am I having trouble creating my NetId? When I chose my ID, it told me I already existed. Any1 else get the same?

ericng314

New

Post by ericng314 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:21 pm

I had that same problem. What I did was that I emptied out my computer's cache and cookies. Then I followed the directions on the webpage and selected "new students" and well, the problem has been all fixed. I finally have a Rutgers email address!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rutgers1L_10

Bronze

Post by Rutgers1L_10 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 7:54 pm

LOL @ me and my inebriated foolishness. :oops:

Well... it doesn't look like I said anything too stupid.

For the poster that asked about having Mondays to get wasted--you will!
The only thing we have on Monday is LRW, and we turned in our final LRW assignment of the year yesterday. Normally turning in an LRW assignment is a huge accomplishment and cause for celebration, but yesterday was extraordinarily amazing. You have no idea the hours of sleep people have lost and the relentless pursuit to write 1 decent paragraph. But, I think you guys should know that despite spending a good majority of my Monday completely hammered--I did get up this morning, and I made it to class on time, and was completely prepared.
The moral if the story--Balance!

If you guys were Rutgers students (from any campus) then you may already have a NetID in the system.
Otherwise you may just need to call the computer helpline and see if they can help you out.
Or you could be creating an ID that is already in use by someone else.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 8:57 pm

Mailed me seat deposit today. Not final, but it definitely makes me happy :).

lovaholic

New

Post by lovaholic » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:58 am

ericng314 wrote:I suggest all of us go purchase some rulers. For LRW, they make a big stink about 60 characters w/in 5 inches and also how there's like a set font type/size. Oi vey!

Just wondering, does anyone know if MSP requires us to go to EVERY single one of those weekly group sessions during the course of the first year? That seems like a bit of a waste of time IMO.

Anyone else here in MSP?

I heard the attendance is taken into account when it comes to 'selecting' the MSP students who get 'placed' in the summer internship. Not everyone gets an internship-it's based on your grades, attendance to class, those study sessions and your interview with the firm. (number of interview slots they have as well)

I am not aware of any scholarships attached to this program-but it certainly is a lot more required work. I mean it all seems to have great intentions--I just don't want to be 'stuck' with a crappy study group and then have to study with them all the time to make sure I have the requirements for that internship program you know?

bernie shmegma

Bronze

Post by bernie shmegma » Wed Apr 07, 2010 1:16 am

keg411 wrote:Mailed me seat deposit today. Not final, but it definitely makes me happy :).
It's hard to let go of the prospect of other schools after this process and commit to one. I sense that you are experiencing what is amounting to a coping process. It's Okay, my Brooklyn withdrawal has been sealed on my desk for over a week now. That's after the form was filled and out by itself for a week before that. I've accepted what I am doing, yet I still need to do it, despite my mind being 99.8% made up. .2 to go! BTW it went up to 99.8 from 99.6 when I got my NetID today.

Speaking of which, is this an e-mail or just for housing. If its e-mail that SWEEET, they even suggested on the first one to use the same name as undergrad. What's more is that my same password works too. Very convenient.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ericng314

New

Post by ericng314 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:03 am

I believe that the MSP's Summer orientation is useful. I mean we're gonna learn how to do case briefing and outlining and so forth so it's basically a heads up on law school before the 1L students come in.

Oh well. Great to know that there's some MSP people on TLS!

scgirl33

New

Post by scgirl33 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:15 am

I am curious as to housing during the MSP program. Any ideas?

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:45 am

Has anyone been successful negotiating scholarships with Rutgers? I have an e-mail ready to send, but I'd like to send it in a PM to someone who has been successful in negotiating their scholarship.

bernie shmegma

Bronze

Post by bernie shmegma » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:53 am

mhd08 wrote:Has anyone been successful negotiating scholarships with Rutgers? I have an e-mail ready to send, but I'd like to send it in a PM to someone who has been successful in negotiating their scholarship.
Quite difficult to negotiate your scholarship at RU. Although, see how it goes with a formal persuasive e-mail instead of a phone call if you don't mind putting it down in writing.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”