Rutgers Newark Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
baboon309

Bronze

Rutgers Newark

Post by baboon309 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:55 pm

Does Decision rendered always mean a waitlist/rejection?
My status just changed to Decision Rendered today.
It didn't say anything else though

Numbers: 161/3.55 OS

dakatz

Gold

Re: Rutgers Newark

Post by dakatz » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:03 pm

Nope. Mine changed to decision rendered today and I just got an email telling me I was accepted. I'm really excited about it because I live very close to Rutgers and it is definitely high up on my list for a number of reasons. And after a long day of waiting for G-Town mail that didn't come and a BU phone call that didn't come, its nice to end the day with an acceptance.

PhantaManta

Bronze

Post by PhantaManta » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:26 pm

In via email 3.58 / 163, email says packet will be mailed monday.

No reference to scholarship information --- did anyone get scholarship?

JOThompson

Silver

Post by JOThompson » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:29 pm

In via email. No scholarship info was included in the letter. Congrats to everyone else who was accepted :)
Last edited by JOThompson on Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ihatethelsat

New

Post by ihatethelsat » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:31 pm

Got in via Email as well! I think we all got the same message, I didn't get any scholarship information either. In any case, congrats everyone! :)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PhantaManta

Bronze

Post by PhantaManta » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:35 pm

Since they got a new Dean, does anyone know if they would still give us residency if we sign a year lease at their housing?

cicely101

New

Post by cicely101 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:36 pm

ihatethelsat wrote:Got in via Email as well! I think we all got the same message, I didn't get any scholarship information either. In any case, congrats everyone! :)

Ditto!

flowylime

New

Post by flowylime » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:41 pm

Also in! Congrats everyone!

ihatethelsat

New

Post by ihatethelsat » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:43 pm

So far I have gotten into Miami and Rutgers... out of those two which do you guys think is better? I keep hearing bad things about Miami even though it is ranked higher.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PhantaManta

Bronze

Post by PhantaManta » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:53 pm

ihatethelsat wrote:So far I have gotten into Miami and Rutgers... out of those two which do you guys think is better? I keep hearing bad things about Miami even though it is ranked higher.
Whichever costs less and is closer to where you want to work is better.

Dayton

New

Post by Dayton » Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:07 pm

In via email as well. Congrats to everyone!

bklyngreenlp

New

Post by bklyngreenlp » Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:24 pm

In via email, too (nice typo in it)! There wasn't any additional financial information indicated, so I guess we'll see what happens with the snail mail copy. Congratulations everyone...
Last edited by bklyngreenlp on Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PhantaManta

Bronze

Post by PhantaManta » Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:41 am

O ya, I was gonna post bout that typo too but I figured rutgers gets enough grief on here as is =(

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bigbub75

Bronze

Post by Bigbub75 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:42 pm

In via email today! Pretty stoked. I am in state so Rutgers was my first choice! it's a good school at a great price!

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:33 pm

ihatethelsat wrote:So far I have gotten into Miami and Rutgers... out of those two which do you guys think is better? I keep hearing bad things about Miami even though it is ranked higher.
I don't know much about Miami, but if you're trying to work in or near new york/nyc, then Rutgers is a good if not great option for those who cant get into fordham, yeshiva etc.

The only thing I would caution about Rutgers is that its in a rough neighborhood. Like really rough. Like highest crime rate in New Jersey. Like have friends from New Jersey that would NEVER go there. So you would definitly have to live outside of rutgers and not go there at night.

But like a previous poster said, it really comes down to if you are trying to work in NJ/NY area of in Florida.

GL, luck, grats to every one that got in.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:25 pm

I live in NJ and Newark isn't great, though they're trying to improve (amazing Portugese restaurants and the Prudential Center are helping). But it's pretty easy to commute if you want to live in a safer/more fun area.

Did anyone else find the application annoying? Minus college, I've lived in NJ all my life, so the 800 residency questions were a pain. Plus the having to print and mail the Certification and Fee rather than just being able to submit via LSAC. I'm still quite not sure how exactly those work. Will the school contact you when they receive it? Because LSAC apparently won't let me send the rest of the application until that is done.

Nicholasnickynic

Silver

Post by Nicholasnickynic » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:11 pm

keg411 wrote:I live in NJ and Newark isn't great, though they're trying to improve (amazing Portugese restaurants and the Prudential Center are helping). But it's pretty easy to commute if you want to live in a safer/more fun area.

Did anyone else find the application annoying? Minus college, I've lived in NJ all my life, so the 800 residency questions were a pain. Plus the having to print and mail the Certification and Fee rather than just being able to submit via LSAC. I'm still quite not sure how exactly those work. Will the school contact you when they receive it? Because LSAC apparently won't let me send the rest of the application until that is done.
I think you missed a step. When press submit app and it tells you that you have to print and send a certification letter, you should be able to click a box saying that you have printed and sent the letter (which you then actually do). It will then let you send the app.

Edited to add that im not certain that it is how that part works for Rutgers, but thats how I had to do it for richmond, uconn, and buffalo.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:22 pm

Nicholasnickynic wrote:
keg411 wrote:I live in NJ and Newark isn't great, though they're trying to improve (amazing Portugese restaurants and the Prudential Center are helping). But it's pretty easy to commute if you want to live in a safer/more fun area.

I think you missed a step. When press submit app and it tells you that you have to print and send a certification letter, you should be able to click a box saying that you have printed and sent the letter (which you then actually do). It will then let you send the app.

Edited to add that im not certain that it is how that part works for Rutgers, but thats how I had to do it for richmond, uconn, and buffalo.
I print the form and check the box, but it still won't go through (keeps saying that I need to print the form). And I've tried this on entirely different computers (Home-Mac-Firefox; Work-PC-Internet Explorer). And for not just RU.

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:24 pm

Got the acceptance packet in the mail today. Rutgers has been my top safety school all along and will most certainly be my choice if no top school gives me any money, but they just sweetened the deal quite a bit with an 18K per year scholarship. Since in-state tuition is 21K and I would be living at home, this guarantees that I would graduate completely debt free. Oh decisions, decisions...

bklyngreenlp

New

Post by bklyngreenlp » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:32 pm

dakatz - congratulations on the scholarship! It would certainly give you a lot of options upon graduation if you didn't have to worry about paying massive loan debt.

Do you mind giving us your numbers? Are your top schools in the metro NYC area?

I really want my letter to be sitting in my mailbox when I get home from work, darn it.

underachiever

Bronze

Post by underachiever » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:35 pm

dakatz wrote:Got the acceptance packet in the mail today. Rutgers has been my top safety school all along and will most certainly be my choice if no top school gives me any money, but they just sweetened the deal quite a bit with an 18K per year scholarship. Since in-state tuition is 21K and I would be living at home, this guarantees that I would graduate completely debt free. Oh decisions, decisions...
Nice. However, any strings attached to $...like place in class or gpa?...have to be careful to watch out for schools that section stack scholarship kids (Not saying R-Newark does this, but something to look into) If not, then LS + guaranteed no debt is AWESOME

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:35 pm

I got the acceptance email last Thursday too- my first acceptance! I just wanted to say congrats to everyone!

dakatz

Gold

Post by dakatz » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:39 pm

bklyngreenlp wrote:dakatz - congratulations on the scholarship! It would certainly give you a lot of options upon graduation if you didn't have to worry about paying massive loan debt.

Do you mind giving us your numbers? Are your top schools in the metro NYC area?

I really want my letter to be sitting in my mailbox when I get home from work, darn it.
Thank you. Yeah, I would say my top choices are in the NY area, but I would certainly consider areas like Boston or DC. As for the scholarship requirements, its contingent on maintaining a 3.0 GPA. My stats are 167, 3.5x

UnderwearModel

New

Post by UnderwearModel » Tue Dec 08, 2009 3:44 pm

I am just curious but where do most of the students that go to Rutgers-Newark live while in school? Which neighborhoods in the city of Newark or which nearby towns (Kearny, Jersey City, Hoboken, the oranges, etc...)

PhantaManta

Bronze

Post by PhantaManta » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:18 pm

Update: Got package in the mail. It says $10,000 scholarship renewable with a 3.0, so I think it means per year, although it doesn't say so outright (and plus, $3,333.3333 per year would be a weird number.)

Good luck everyone.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”