Rutgers Newark Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
inSouthAmerica

Bronze

Re: Rutgers Newark

Post by inSouthAmerica » Tue May 18, 2010 9:06 pm

doesn't it make more sense that they'd respond to all the apps before they went to the waitlist in the first place?

dhg5004

Bronze

Post by dhg5004 » Wed May 19, 2010 2:35 pm

is anyone still waiting to hear from rutgers? i applied suuuuper late so i realize i can be waiting a while....but is there anyone else out there ?!

get it to x

Bronze

Post by get it to x » Wed May 19, 2010 4:48 pm

Anyone receive their finalized financial aid package? I just have my initial offer from when I was accepted.

champ33

Bronze

Post by champ33 » Wed May 19, 2010 4:53 pm

I haven't, but got the Cost of Attendance estimation today, was surprised it didn't go up from last year as much as I thought it might.

beast510

New

Post by beast510 » Wed May 19, 2010 6:52 pm

champ33 wrote:I haven't, but got the Cost of Attendance estimation today, was surprised it didn't go up from last year as much as I thought it might.
+1

BTW, anyone here applied for on-campus housing? I applied like three weeks ago, but haven't received a decision yet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

inSouthAmerica

Bronze

Post by inSouthAmerica » Wed May 19, 2010 8:11 pm

does anyone know how living with the parentals affects your financial aid package? the only info i've received is that it "will affect your financial aid package". do i get penalized for having cool parents i can live with?

mia_p

New

Post by mia_p » Thu May 20, 2010 2:23 am

beast510 wrote:
champ33 wrote:I haven't, but got the Cost of Attendance estimation today, was surprised it didn't go up from last year as much as I thought it might.
+1

BTW, anyone here applied for on-campus housing? I applied like three weeks ago, but haven't received a decision yet.
I applied last month and sent housing deposit but haven't heard anything from them either...

tittle-tattle

New

Post by tittle-tattle » Fri May 21, 2010 3:07 pm

Just withdrew - PT with scholarship. Good luck!

Rutgers1L_10

Bronze

Post by Rutgers1L_10 » Fri May 21, 2010 8:23 pm

inSouthAmerica wrote:does anyone know how living with the parentals affects your financial aid package? the only info i've received is that it "will affect your financial aid package". do i get penalized for having cool parents i can live with?
You will be considered "off-campus", so your overall student budget will be higher than those living on-campus. It's no different than living with a roommate who pays all the rent. This just means you could potentially receive more money in loans than you need because you won't have to pay any rent. But...you do have to pay loans back so just be smart.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

inSouthAmerica

Bronze

Post by inSouthAmerica » Sat May 22, 2010 8:52 am

Rutgers2L_11 - thank you. good advice, i will try not to run up to much debt... living with my parents and eating their food.

NickyD51

New

Post by NickyD51 » Sat May 22, 2010 1:44 pm

Anyone know when the last deposit is due? I haven't heard from Rutgers yet so I'm assuming they're waiting to see how many people send in a deposit.

Abrikos

New

Post by Abrikos » Mon May 24, 2010 2:14 pm

NickyD51 wrote:Anyone know when the last deposit is due? I haven't heard from Rutgers yet so I'm assuming they're waiting to see how many people send in a deposit.
There is only one seat deposit. It was due April 1 or 15.

Did anyone receive finalized financial aid package? What's the procedure to get it? I only got an initial financial offer 2 months ago.

hpatel

New

Post by hpatel » Mon May 24, 2010 4:28 pm

I have tons of questions, if anyone would be willing to answer.

I ended up sending a deposit for RU-N because 1) I liked the school and the prospects 2) Cost. I can commute to Newark, which would save me quite a bit of money. I was actually quite happy with my decision until last week. I was accepted to Seton Hall (they were very late in the acceptance process), and the offered quite a bit of money. RU offered me 6K for their now 23Kish tuition, while SHU offered 35K for their 42K tuition. The numbers are stressing me out!

I visited Seton Hall and have researched it, and I still like RU, but it's about 10K more annually to attend. Any thoughts? Plus the Seton Hall money is contingent on staying in the top half of my class. I'm just not sure what to do. Those of you who happen to be students, do you feel RU>Seton Hall? Why? I only have until June 1st to put in my SHU deposit, hence the stress...

I wasn't able to attend the Lowenstein Reception b/c of work, and was very disappointed about that. I feel maybe the event may have won points in the RU column if I'd gone...

So...thoughts?

Thank you so much

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ericng314

New

Post by ericng314 » Mon May 24, 2010 7:11 pm

I guess you could consider contacting Rutgers Admissions and telling them about the financial aid offer you received from Seton Hall and ask them for an increase in scholarship money. Maybe they'll offer it but they seem to be strapped for cash right now b/c of pending Christie's cuts.

I had a similar problem like you did - Rutgers or Seton Hall. Rankwise, they don't differ by too much. However I ended up choosing Rutgers b/c I was accepted to the MSP program. Also, they gave me more scholarship money than Seton Hall did. Also, I've only heard bad things about Seton Hall (traffic court clerkships???). I wouldn't get too hung up on the negative talk about Seton Hall but yeah, you can't go wrong with either school.

hpatel

New

Post by hpatel » Mon May 24, 2010 7:21 pm

ericng314 wrote:I guess you could consider contacting Rutgers Admissions and telling them about the financial aid offer you received from Seton Hall and ask them for an increase in scholarship money. Maybe they'll offer it but they seem to be strapped for cash right now b/c of pending Christie's cuts.

I had a similar problem like you did - Rutgers or Seton Hall. Rankwise, they don't differ by too much. However I ended up choosing Rutgers b/c I was accepted to the MSP program. Also, they gave me more scholarship money than Seton Hall did. Also, I've only heard bad things about Seton Hall (traffic court clerkships???). I wouldn't get too hung up on the negative talk about Seton Hall but yeah, you can't go wrong with either school.
I didn't get into the MSP program, unfortunately. I did email them to see if they could offer me anything more...crossing my fingers. Yes, I've heard all the bad things about Seton Hall...and I've contacting some people I know who go there now, and am trying to weigh in the pros and cons...we shall see...

Thanks so much for answering :)

NickyD51

New

Post by NickyD51 » Fri May 28, 2010 6:31 pm

Unbelievable, I haven't heard from Rutgers yet, not even to say bear with us, what a joke...

rocker1487

New

Post by rocker1487 » Fri May 28, 2010 8:55 pm

Anybody get accepted off the waitlist yet?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

beast510

New

Post by beast510 » Fri May 28, 2010 8:58 pm

Just got a "Review Award Letter" via email. Gotta do some reading now...

BTW, why don't we have a Facebook page?

R4NDM H3RO

New

Post by R4NDM H3RO » Sat May 29, 2010 2:28 am

Still riding this waitlist :(

Does anyone know approximately how many people get WL'd?

rocker1487

New

Post by rocker1487 » Sat May 29, 2010 11:34 pm

R4NDM H3RO wrote:Still riding this waitlist :(

Does anyone know approximately how many people get WL'd?
I'm not sure exactly how many they have on the WL this year but Rutgers seems to be waitlisting everybody this year, and i've seen people getting WL'd with great numbers. I'm not really sure what their strategy is this year but it's starting to get annoying. Supposedly, 10 out of 100 got off the WL last year.

R4NDM H3RO

New

Post by R4NDM H3RO » Sun May 30, 2010 1:37 am

Yeah man seriously!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

inSouthAmerica

Bronze

Post by inSouthAmerica » Mon May 31, 2010 1:13 pm

jeremydc

Bronze

Post by jeremydc » Mon May 31, 2010 2:34 pm

Congrads on those who have made it into Rutgers

dhg5004

Bronze

Post by dhg5004 » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:16 pm

NickyD51 wrote:Unbelievable, I haven't heard from Rutgers yet, not even to say bear with us, what a joke...
Dude. I haven't either. When did you apply?

NYCG8TR

New

Post by NYCG8TR » Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:46 pm

dhg5004 wrote:
NickyD51 wrote:Unbelievable, I haven't heard from Rutgers yet, not even to say bear with us, what a joke...
Dude. I haven't either. When did you apply?
Same here. I'm convinced they lost my application LOL

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”