Rutgers Newark Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
kissy

Bronze

Re: Rutgers Newark

Post by kissy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:36 pm

i haven't heard from them either, but i only went complete on 3/1.

on another note...i went complete on 3/17 @ rutgers-camden and received an e-mail invitation to ASD on 3/22 (which my parents attended for me, as i was out of the country) and they picked up my admission package in person. i was shocked that they processed everything in 5 days. i sent in my seat deposit today :D

pink_law14

New

Post by pink_law14 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:40 pm

congrats on R-C, thats so exciting! I hope to hear from R-N the same way :D

ManUdevil

New

Post by ManUdevil » Tue Mar 30, 2010 12:48 pm

I submitted at the beginning on Feb. and went complete on 3/2. I haven't heard anything since then either. At least I'm not the only one...

NickyD51

New

Post by NickyD51 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 1:55 pm

What are my chances?? I graduated from RU-N last may with a lsac gpa of 3.25 and q double major in Finance and MIS, my GPA for the last 2 years is over 3.5 and I scored 156 on the feb LSAT, so what do you guy think, am I in???

beast510

New

Post by beast510 » Tue Mar 30, 2010 2:38 pm

Just talked to their financial aid officer. Super nice lady! I guess there is absolutely no reason for me not to go now. Kinda excited!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bernie shmegma

Bronze

Post by bernie shmegma » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:41 pm

beast510 wrote:Just talked to their financial aid officer. Super nice lady! I guess there is absolutely no reason for me not to go now. Kinda excited!
Did they offer you money or something or you're just saying no reason not to go because she was nice? Just wondering

bernie shmegma

Bronze

Post by bernie shmegma » Tue Mar 30, 2010 3:42 pm

Look what I found:

--LinkRemoved--

MIA

New

Post by MIA » Wed Mar 31, 2010 12:43 am

For those of you planning to live on campus, make sure that you request "University Square" over "Talbott." You'll thank me later.

bernie shmegma

Bronze

Post by bernie shmegma » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:59 am

MIA wrote:For those of you planning to live on campus, make sure that you request "University Square" over "Talbott." You'll thank me later.
Do you hear a lot of people complain about traffic on the way to school in the morning on TPK from south, 78 from west, 280 from west respectively? Do a lot of students REALLY regret not living in Newark, or specifically living in the suburbs? I'm really asking aside from the usual complaints about parking filling up and a moderate amount of traffic.

How late does the school stay open or can students have access to the library say if one wanted to go to the newark gym, shower up obv, and go back and study until pretty late before commuting back home (this requires living out of a car and school locker (is that even feasible too?). This is highly unlikely to actually happen, but I'm telling myself some sort of variation of this should be my routine and I want to know if its even possible by some miracle I stay disciplined.

Thanks in advance.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

get it to x

Bronze

Post by get it to x » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:02 am

Does anyone know who the insurance carrier for the law school is? Is it the same as everyone else on campus as I'm assuming?

inSouthAmerica

Bronze

Post by inSouthAmerica » Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:09 am

ive been wondering if the laws been changed so as that if youre still young-ish you can go on mom and dads health insurance again if it will still be so that we are required to buy the rutgers plan. any thoughts.

bernie shmegma

Bronze

Post by bernie shmegma » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:02 pm

inSouthAmerica wrote:ive been wondering if the laws been changed so as that if youre still young-ish you can go on mom and dads health insurance again if it will still be so that we are required to buy the rutgers plan. any thoughts.
After 23, you lose parents health insurance. New Bill extends to 27 I'm pretty sure, but I don't know when that part of the bill goes into effect. Many provisions start at different times.

For Now, if you're younger than 23, you're fine. Once you're 23 though, I'm sure you could buy RU's insurance, but certianly not required. I mean you can still get your own plan and probably relatively cheap because you're so young. I just got new insurance this month because I went without it for months since my 23rd and I don't plan on using, replacing, or getting any additional health care insurance. So, I assume there is no Requirement, but you seem to be under a different impression... Is there something i don't know about?

TUhustler

New

Post by TUhustler » Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:48 pm

bernie shmegma wrote:
inSouthAmerica wrote:ive been wondering if the laws been changed so as that if youre still young-ish you can go on mom and dads health insurance again if it will still be so that we are required to buy the rutgers plan. any thoughts.
After 23, you lose parents health insurance. New Bill extends to 27 I'm pretty sure, but I don't know when that part of the bill goes into effect. Many provisions start at different times.

For Now, if you're younger than 23, you're fine. Once you're 23 though, I'm sure you could buy RU's insurance, but certianly not required. I mean you can still get your own plan and probably relatively cheap because you're so young. I just got new insurance this month because I went without it for months since my 23rd and I don't plan on using, replacing, or getting any additional health care insurance. So, I assume there is no Requirement, but you seem to be under a different impression... Is there something i don't know about?
I have read that under the new health care bill you can stay on your parents insurance until 26 and that it goes into effect in six months. I am also under the impression from the open house that everyone gets basic healthcare from RU as part of their student fees and if you want you can purchase extended benefits of some sort. I think the info on the extended benefits is on Rutgers Newark Law's web site.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

nyjfanjmk

New

Post by nyjfanjmk » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:28 pm

TUhustler wrote:
bernie shmegma wrote:

I have read that under the new health care bill you can stay on your parents insurance until 26 and that it goes into effect in six months. I am also under the impression from the open house that everyone gets basic healthcare from RU as part of their student fees and if you want you can purchase extended benefits of some sort. I think the info on the extended benefits is on Rutgers Newark Law's web site.
I was told that every student is required to use the university's plan at the admitted students day back in January.

bernie shmegma

Bronze

Post by bernie shmegma » Wed Mar 31, 2010 2:57 pm

How could that be? You MUST pay for RU health insurance plan?

nyjfanjmk

New

Post by nyjfanjmk » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:36 pm

bernie shmegma wrote:How could that be? You MUST pay for RU health insurance plan?
I believe the cost is covered in the tuition. Also, the concept of having everyone at the law school enrolled in the plan is really no different than having every employee of a company enrolled in a health insurance plan, which is common.

kissy

Bronze

Post by kissy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:37 pm

why so much love for ru-n?! where's the love for the murder capital of america :shock:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

underdog

New

Post by underdog » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:40 pm

kissy wrote:why so much love for ru-n?! where's the love for the murder capital of america :shock:
You have to love Newark for being the Car-theft capital of America.
You come out of class. You look to where you parked your car and all you see is an empty spot. Your heart drops to the bottom of your stomach and you hope the police took it to the impound for some reason. and during the call, suddenly, you realize what just happened. It's a feeling you can't match. lovely.

kissy

Bronze

Post by kissy » Wed Mar 31, 2010 4:55 pm

that's not what i was getting at

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 5:49 pm

kissy wrote:that's not what i was getting at
I can be seen in both threads :).

wizoz

Bronze

Post by wizoz » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:27 pm

Do we get to choose which class start time we want? I was reading that there's a 8:30 am - 4ish pm track and then a 9:30 - 5ish.

Also, re: health care...I really hope we don't have to pay for the RU-N plan. Does any1 know if the new bill allows for married individuals to go on their parent's plan? My mother pays no premium so to add me to hers would be completely free whereas if I go under my husband's it'll cost $.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

inSouthAmerica

Bronze

Post by inSouthAmerica » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:46 pm

i was informed that purchasing their health insurance is required also.

inSouthAmerica

Bronze

Post by inSouthAmerica » Wed Mar 31, 2010 7:52 pm

@kissy - i think i speak for a majority of people when i say we have a lot of respect for our sister school in camden. i'd guess that the majority of us applied to both, and if we were accepted to one we were probably accepted to the other. furthermore most of us choosing to go to rutgers newark over rutgers camden are simply doing it based on the personal regional preference of north jersey over south jersey, nyc dreams over philly dreams. i'd say theres a lot of love for both schools on the forums, because of their reasonable tuition and above-their-similarly-ranked-competition's job prospects.
Last edited by inSouthAmerica on Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:10 am, edited 3 times in total.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:00 pm

I <3 inSouthAmerica

TUhustler

New

Post by TUhustler » Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:05 pm

bernie shmegma wrote:How could that be? You MUST pay for RU health insurance plan?
I'm pretty sure this is standard practice, even in undergrad. It's usually called something like "Student health fee"

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”