Rutgers Newark Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Onion

Bronze

Re: Rutgers Newark

Post by Onion » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:27 pm

Received acceptance by email almost two weeks ago, but still have not received packet in the mail... should I call?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:49 pm

Onion wrote:Received acceptance by email almost two weeks ago, but still have not received packet in the mail... should I call?
It takes a little bit. I wouldn't be worried. I think it took a couple of weeks for mine and I live super close to the school.

Onion

Bronze

Post by Onion » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:50 pm

keg411 wrote:
Onion wrote:Received acceptance by email almost two weeks ago, but still have not received packet in the mail... should I call?
It takes a little bit. I wouldn't be worried. I think it took a couple of weeks for mine and I live super close to the school.
Alright thanks... was scholly info enclosed?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 3:58 pm

Onion wrote:
keg411 wrote:
If you got a scholarship, you would have gotten a separate e-mail right after the original. If you didn't get that, you likely didn't get a scholarship.

Onion

Bronze

Post by Onion » Fri Feb 05, 2010 4:17 pm

keg411 wrote:
Onion wrote:
keg411 wrote:
If you got a scholarship, you would have gotten a separate e-mail right after the original. If you didn't get that, you likely didn't get a scholarship.
Thats kinda strange... I have the numbers for $$ and Camden made a nice offer. Sometimes theres just no explaining the process I guess.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Fri Feb 05, 2010 5:33 pm

[/quote]

Thats kinda strange... I have the numbers for $$ and Camden made a nice offer. Sometimes theres just no explaining the process I guess.[/quote]

I wouldn't be surprised to see the number of scholarships given out by R-N be way down this year. I know there's a big push going on to increase alumni giving b/c the school isn't getting enough to help sustain scholarships.

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Sun Feb 07, 2010 4:09 am

FWIW, I never got the second email with scholarship info- only info came in my packet, and I was offered 18k/yr. So if you haven't received the packet yet, don't lose hope for a scholarship offer.

Also, if it matters, Camden offered me less than Newark did, and their GPA requirement sucked.

inSouthAmerica

Bronze

Post by inSouthAmerica » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:24 pm

Burger in a can wrote:Camden offered me less than Newark did, and their GPA requirement sucked.
3.5 vs. 3.0 is a dealbreaker even if camden had offered me more money.

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:35 pm

inSouthAmerica wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:Camden offered me less than Newark did, and their GPA requirement sucked.
3.5 vs. 3.0 is a dealbreaker even if camden had offered me more money.
Yeah I feel like a 3.5 requirement at ANY school is sort of ridiculous. And if Camden is going to be that obvious about their intention to retract their scholarships as soon as they can, couldn't they at least make better offers? Seton Hall (same rank) offered me over 3 times as much as Camden did, and even though SH is private and tuition is way higher, that's still a little whacky.

Regarding the previous post about Rutgers-Newark being stingy, I have to disagree. At least in my case, an 18k scholarship plus in-state tuition (so I might end up paying about $1,600/year for tuition--under 5 grand total) makes Newark a serious contender for me, even though I've been accepted to higher-ranked places. And my numbers aren't even very good!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 2:44 pm

Burger, I thought you were going to UConn? In-state and Connecticut placement would be awfully hard to pass up, even for the SHU scholarship (I suppose SHU or Rutgers could travel to Connecticut, but I don't know anything at all about the legal market up there).

Right now, I'm going to RU-N, but that's because I've only heard from 3 schools and was was a WL.

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:05 pm

keg411 wrote:Burger, I thought you were going to UConn? In-state and Connecticut placement would be awfully hard to pass up, even for the SHU scholarship (I suppose SHU or Rutgers could travel to Connecticut, but I don't know anything at all about the legal market up there).

Right now, I'm going to RU-N, but that's because I've only heard from 3 schools and was was a WL.
I am PSYCHED that I have been accepted to UConn, but the potential financial situation at Rutgers Newark is too awesome to completely ignore. I am eagerly waiting to hear about scholarships at UConn, but as of right now I still can't be sure where I'll end up.

In terms of rankings, UConn is significantly higher than RU-N but I think that's kind of meaningless in this case. Both are state schools that seem to have strong potential in their immediate geographical regions (outside of NYC) It seems like UConn and Rutgers are pretty equally matched, but I could be totally wrong since I get almost all of my information from this site. :)

inSouthAmerica

Bronze

Post by inSouthAmerica » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:10 pm

its the difference between picking a region and nothing more. i put much more faith in the employment numbers and from their analysis i make my own rankings. still congrats on uconn, you wont go wrong with either school.

inSouthAmerica

Bronze

Post by inSouthAmerica » Mon Feb 08, 2010 3:16 pm

inSouthAmerica wrote:Seton Hall (same rank) offered me over 3 times as much as Camden did
dear tlsers,
seriously do not go to seton hall unless they give you money to make your total debt significantly less than newark or camden (possibly if you had gone to both of them combined).
youve been warned,
inSouthAmerica - fromNewJersey

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

renee15

New

Post by renee15 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:07 pm

Burger,

How long did it take for UConn to get back to you? I am waiting to hear from them and that is really the only thing keeping me from sending Rutgers my $$$. Even so, I am still leaning towards Rutgers for personal reasons/convenience.

Anyways...anyone going to visit on 3/26?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 10:13 pm

Burger in a can wrote:
keg411 wrote:Burger, I thought you were going to UConn? In-state and Connecticut placement would be awfully hard to pass up, even for the SHU scholarship (I suppose SHU or Rutgers could travel to Connecticut, but I don't know anything at all about the legal market up there).

I am PSYCHED that I have been accepted to UConn, but the potential financial situation at Rutgers Newark is too awesome to completely ignore. I am eagerly waiting to hear about scholarships at UConn, but as of right now I still can't be sure where I'll end up.

In terms of rankings, UConn is significantly higher than RU-N but I think that's kind of meaningless in this case. Both are state schools that seem to have strong potential in their immediate geographical regions (outside of NYC) It seems like UConn and Rutgers are pretty equally matched, but I could be totally wrong since I get almost all of my information from this site. :)
I'm pretty sure it's all regional, so you're okay :).

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:49 am

renee15 wrote:Burger,

How long did it take for UConn to get back to you?
They are wicked slow. I went complete in mid/late November and got the decision on 2/4. Good luck! :)

champ33

Bronze

Post by champ33 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:21 am

Burger in a can wrote:

Burger I'm in at Rutgers-Newark and waiting on UConn. I visited both and liked both, and definitely second your sentiments here in general. I'd say that the area where UConn law is in Hartford is at least slightly nicer than Newark, but but the Rutgers-N campus is literally 18 minutes from midtown Manhattan, which is nice. If I get into UConn i'll definitely consider them in a similar way to you, as I got a scholarship to Rutgers as well, and would need to pay out-of-state at UConn for the first year. Both feel like, from my reading this site and talking to people that they feed a few decent markets. I don't really know exactly how I'd decide between these two and a few others, but it's getting to crunch time here. Good luck to you and to me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Burger in a can

Silver

Post by Burger in a can » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:49 am

champ33 wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:

Burger I'm in at Rutgers-Newark and waiting on UConn. I visited both and liked both, and definitely second your sentiments here in general. I'd say that the area where UConn law is in Hartford is at least slightly nicer than Newark, but but the Rutgers-N campus is literally 18 minutes from midtown Manhattan, which is nice. If I get into UConn i'll definitely consider them in a similar way to you, as I got a scholarship to Rutgers as well, and would need to pay out-of-state at UConn for the first year. Both feel like, from my reading this site and talking to people that they feed a few decent markets. I don't really know exactly how I'd decide between these two and a few others, but it's getting to crunch time here. Good luck to you and to me.
Yeah, good luck to you too!

I think that Rutgers and UConn are very similar options for the reasons I mentioned, but I think simply saying that they're 'regional' isn't really enough. I've been talking to some people about these schools in comparison to other T2s, especially Temple and Villanova. The idea that both Rutgers and UConn might be dominant in their regions is what makes them more attractive to me than schools like Temple and Villanova. I mean, it seems pretty safe to say that Rutgers is very strong in New Jersey, and UConn is very strong in Connecticut, while it seems a little less obvious that Temple and Villanova are very strong in Pennsylvania. Sure, they are both good schools, but I'm referring to regional competition.

Let's say Student A goes to Temple and is trying to get a job in Philadelphia. He will automatically be competing with other candidates from Penn, Villanova, Rutgers-Camden, Drexel, and maybe even Penn State, Pitt, and Duquesne. Does it seem that Student A is an an advantageous position? Not really.

Student B goes to UConn and is looking at a job in Hartford. Competition: Quinnipiac, maybe Western New England College. Does it seem that Student B is an an advantageous position? Yeah.

Obviously, Student B isn't guaranteed a job, and there will be other competitors from dozens of other schools, and this is most likely an oversimplification, but thinking about it this way was enough to convince me to withdraw my application from Penn State...

inSouthAmerica

Bronze

Post by inSouthAmerica » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:47 am

you have to do well at any of the schools weve been talking about to be employment competitive. burger, you should pick whichever school gives you the least debt and/or whichever you feel most confident that you will be set up to succeed. for me, that is newark as i feel comfortable and at home in my surroundings there (and my mom can pack my lunches).

renee15

New

Post by renee15 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:32 pm

Burger in a can wrote:

They are wicked slow. I went complete in mid/late November and got the decision on 2/4. Good luck! :)
I have a feeling it is going to be a long time before I hear from UConn, and I think that I am leaning toward Rutgers anyways...for various reasons (both schools will wind up being the same price...since I hear it is farily easy to get in-state for Rutgers and I can get the New England rate for UConn). My boyfriend lives and works in NY already, and I am going to be living with him, so if I go to Rutgers he already has a job. Also, I am selling my car (i still owe $ on it), and I have a feeling it is easier to get around NJ/NY w/o a car tahn it is to get around Hartford. In the end, I have a feeling I am going to wind up in NJ.

Onion

Bronze

Post by Onion » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:39 pm

How long did it take for most people to get snail mail packet after email acceptance?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

renee15

New

Post by renee15 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:44 pm

Onion wrote:How long did it take for most people to get snail mail packet after email acceptance?
About a week

ATOIsp07

Bronze

Post by ATOIsp07 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:45 pm

Hey guys!

I applied back in november (the 18th, to be exact) and I got an e-mail almost a month ago saying i've been deferred. I've also already sent an LOCI and even informed them that I have been admitted to CLEO, etc.?

do you think being deferred is a good sign? and how would you gauge my chances?

3.0/162/URM (black)

inSouthAmerica

Bronze

Post by inSouthAmerica » Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:47 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote:Hey guys!

I applied back in november (the 18th, to be exact) and I got an e-mail almost a month ago saying i've been deferred. I've also already sent an LOCI and even informed them that I have been admitted to CLEO, etc.?

do you think being deferred is a good sign? and how would you gauge my chances?

3.0/162/URM (black)
very good.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:06 pm

renee15 wrote:
Burger in a can wrote:

I have a feeling it is going to be a long time before I hear from UConn, and I think that I am leaning toward Rutgers anyways...for various reasons (both schools will wind up being the same price...since I hear it is farily easy to get in-state for Rutgers and I can get the New England rate for UConn). My boyfriend lives and works in NY already, and I am going to be living with him, so if I go to Rutgers he already has a job. Also, I am selling my car (i still owe $ on it), and I have a feeling it is easier to get around NJ/NY w/o a car tahn it is to get around Hartford. In the end, I have a feeling I am going to wind up in NJ.
You want to have a car in NJ. Trust me. The only way you can deal without a car is if you want a "backwards" commute and you and your bf live in the city and you take the train in.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”