Rutgers Newark Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
badpixie

Bronze

Re: Rutgers Newark

Post by badpixie » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:09 pm

rw2188 wrote:They just tapped the waitlist, and...

I AM IN!!!

good luck to everyone still waiting out there!!!
Congratulations!!

Deevo

New

Post by Deevo » Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:15 pm

I AM IN!!!

Congratulations!!! The same thing just happened to me! So excited. :mrgreen:

renee15

New

Post by renee15 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:30 pm

phooey182 wrote:
audrey hepburn wrote:what was your study schedule like your first semester? thanks
First semester you will have 4 lectures (Torts, Property, Crim. Law and Contracts) and LRW. Generally I would do about 1 hour of "prep" for each lecture. "Prep" simply means reading and understanding the material for the next class (briefing, taking notes, etc.). So if I had three lectures the following day, I would usually need 3 hours to "prep". Based on this model, my schedule would vary from day to day, but it basically gave me Fridays and Saturdays off.

Please note that the notion of "prepping" for a class is different from College where people would normally "review" what they did in class. Law School Professors expect you to know the material when you walk into the classroom. Please don't be the idiot who gets caught unprepared and has to admit to the professor that they didn't read the case. . Or WORSE, the idiot who pretends to be prepared and then gets embarassed by the professor when their unpreparedness is inevitably exposed.

Some students like to read ahead, but I don't. First off, your syllabus can change. My Crim. Law professor was running behind, so he skipped the entire section on Rape. So anyone who had 'read ahead' basically wasted their time. Also, I feel I retained the information better if I had the lecture immediately following my "prep". So I recommend only reading the material for the next class.

With LRW, I basically worked whenever I could. I didn't have a fixed schedule, but I tried to do about 1 hour of LRW 3 times a week. Many people procrastinate on the LRW assignments, and end up doing all-nighters. Please DO NOT DO THIS. You cannot write a good paper if you are frantically typing away with a mug of coffee and 3 hours before it is due. Oh who am I kidding, of course you will procrastinate, we all do! But seriously, try not to.

About 6 weeks before the end of the semester, you will want to start on your outlines. You should try to dedicate 1 hour per day on these. But ONLY 1 hour. Outlines are supposed to be concise, so keep it short! If your outline is longer than your class notes, then you are doing something wrong.

Overall, my goal was to do 8 hours of class and study per day on average (except Saturdays and Sundays). I treated law school like it was a 9-5 job.

Also don't forget you will have allocate time for your professors office hours (if you plan to go), seminars, clubs and other events. I recommend using a schedule or calendar tool like Google Calendar. I sync'd my Google Calendar to my iPhone, iMac and MacbookPro so anytime I wanted to view or modify my schedule, I could modify it on any device and it would be transmitted to every device I had. I was never off-schedule.
Thanks for the advice! Sounds like a great plan that would probably work for me. Did you completely take weekends off or just do less work? What are the chances of committing one's self to non-law school activities on weekends? I am thinking about playing on a travel ice hockey team, which may involve me traveling to PA,MD and VA as well as tournaments. . much further away. Is it possible if I stick to a strict schedule?

badpixie

Bronze

Post by badpixie » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:55 pm

Deevo wrote:

I AM IN!!!

Congratulations Deevo!

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:42 pm

renee15 wrote: Thanks for the advice! Sounds like a great plan that would probably work for me. Did you completely take weekends off or just do less work? What are the chances of committing one's self to non-law school activities on weekends? I am thinking about playing on a travel ice hockey team, which may involve me traveling to PA,MD and VA as well as tournaments. . much further away. Is it possible if I stick to a strict schedule?
I did not completely take weekends off. Life happens and your schedule adjusts. There were weekends when I would spend a few hours studying. A travel team seems like a huge time committment, and there will be some weekends where you needs a few hours for studying or just some 'down time'. Personally I think you should skip the travel team because you might end up missing a few games. Is that fair to your teammates? But I would definitely stick with the hockey in some way because you can put it on your resume. It makes you more interesting to employers. And the exercise will keep you from getting fat.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

renee15

New

Post by renee15 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:18 pm

phooey182 wrote:
renee15 wrote: Thanks for the advice! Sounds like a great plan that would probably work for me. Did you completely take weekends off or just do less work? What are the chances of committing one's self to non-law school activities on weekends? I am thinking about playing on a travel ice hockey team, which may involve me traveling to PA,MD and VA as well as tournaments. . much further away. Is it possible if I stick to a strict schedule?
I did not completely take weekends off. Life happens and your schedule adjusts. There were weekends when I would spend a few hours studying. A travel team seems like a huge time committment, and there will be some weekends where you needs a few hours for studying or just some 'down time'. Personally I think you should skip the travel team because you might end up missing a few games. Is that fair to your teammates? But I would definitely stick with the hockey in some way because you can put it on your resume. It makes you more interesting to employers. And the exercise will keep you from getting fat.
Well I would only be travelling maybe...10 weekends...maybe less...I don't know what their schedules are like. Unfortunately I don't have many choices because there arent enough Women's teams in NJ...I come from MA and there are tons so I don't have to travel too much. My other option would be to play with men, which might not be a bad idea. Who knows...I got to make a decision soon though! Thanks for the imput! :)

Deevo

New

Post by Deevo » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:11 pm

badpixie wrote:
Deevo wrote:

I AM IN!!!

Congratulations Deevo!
Thanks!

So, what is everyone's feeling on early vs. late track? Guess I'm already late on sending that form back - lol.

kasparov

New

Post by kasparov » Sun Jul 04, 2010 11:45 pm

anyone coming from somerset county or thereabouts? interested in a car pool situation?

NJcollegestudent

Bronze

Post by NJcollegestudent » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:06 pm

For those who just got in off the list, if you do not mind, what were your LSAT and GPA's?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

NJcollegestudent

Bronze

Post by NJcollegestudent » Mon Jul 05, 2010 2:07 pm

kasparov wrote:anyone coming from somerset county or thereabouts? interested in a car pool situation?

If you prefer mass transit, and live around the Raritan Valley Line, i believe it can be a 30-45 minute trip in to Newark. Also you can use the light rail for free to get to campus.

kasparov

New

Post by kasparov » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:04 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:
kasparov wrote:anyone coming from somerset county or thereabouts? interested in a car pool situation?

If you prefer mass transit, and live around the Raritan Valley Line, i believe it can be a 30-45 minute trip in to Newark. Also you can use the light rail for free to get to campus.

I live one block away from Gladstone station. Did you commute? If so, did you take the train? I'm debating whether to buy a parking badge, NJT pass, or both to cover all possible scenarios.

orange_ava

New

Post by orange_ava » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:53 pm

Congrats to all of those who just got off the waitlist.

To any current students, Mac or PC? Does RU prefer one over the other? Thanks!

Deevo

New

Post by Deevo » Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:32 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:For those who just got in off the list, if you do not mind, what were your LSAT and GPA's?
167, 2.8ish
orange_ava wrote:Congrats to all of those who just got off the waitlist.

To any current students, Mac or PC? Does RU prefer one over the other? Thanks!
Thanks, glad to be in!
I think PC's could potentially run the test software better (ie: they can), but I'm no expert.

Update: the second link on the following page may be useful:
http://law.newark.rutgers.edu/students/ ... g-students

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ejhl2007

New

Post by ejhl2007 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:28 pm

does anyone know how to get resident status to pay instate tuition at rutgers?
i heard that as long as you can provide a lease you are eligible?
what's the deadline?

any info would help..

thanks.

kasparov

New

Post by kasparov » Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:55 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:

sorry for the double reply, but i missed this. can you really take the light rail from penn to washington for free?

renee15

New

Post by renee15 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:35 am

ejhl2007 wrote:does anyone know how to get resident status to pay instate tuition at rutgers?
what's the deadline?

any info would help..

thanks.
I have my lease in. I would say the sooner the better. I hear it needs to be in before the bill for the semester goes out.

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:43 pm

renee15 wrote:
ejhl2007 wrote:does anyone know how to get resident status to pay instate tuition at rutgers?
what's the deadline?

any info would help..

thanks.
I have my lease in. I would say the sooner the better. I hear it needs to be in before the bill for the semester goes out.
ASAP is the best answer. Dean Walton can "fix" it if you get the lease in after the term bill comes out, but it's a hassle. Time to find a place to live!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

phooey182

Bronze

Post by phooey182 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:10 pm

kasparov wrote:
NJcollegestudent wrote:

sorry for the double reply, but i missed this. can you really take the light rail from penn to washington for free?
If you buy a monthly pass on NJ Transit, yes you can take the rail for free. And the monthly pass on NJ Transit is worth it. Also, you can buy a monthly pass through Rutgers, which means you'll get the student discount.

If you do not buy a monthly pass on NJ Transit, the rail is not free. Also, no one on the rail will check to make sure you bought a rail ticket or have a monthly pass. However, police will periodically board the light rail to check for passenger tickets and monthly passes. If you don't have a pass, you'll get a citation which is very expensive.

rw2188

New

Post by rw2188 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:46 pm

NJcollegestudent wrote:For those who just got in off the list, if you do not mind, what were your LSAT and GPA's?

156, 3.2 and 3.3 (I have 2 BAs from 2 different universities)

I was on hold for 2 months, then put on the waitlist.

audrey hepburn

New

Post by audrey hepburn » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:15 am

Does anyone know when we should be getting our schedules and list of professors? Maybe current students can tell us when they received their schedules last year?

duanxiao

New

Post by duanxiao » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:59 pm

For those got off the waitlist, are you for the full-time or part-time program?

I AM IN!!!

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Deevo

New

Post by Deevo » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:29 pm

duanxiao wrote:For those got off the waitlist, are you for the full-time or part-time program?
Full-time program. Best of luck if you're still waiting.

king3780

Bronze

Post by king3780 » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:20 pm

audrey hepburn wrote:Does anyone know when we should be getting our schedules and list of professors? Maybe current students can tell us when they received their schedules last year?
Late July, early August as I recall.

NJcollegestudent

Bronze

Post by NJcollegestudent » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:47 pm

kasparov wrote:
NJcollegestudent wrote:

I live one block away from Gladstone station. Did you commute? If so, did you take the train? I'm debating whether to buy a parking badge, NJT pass, or both to cover all possible scenarios.

Sorry for the late reply. I do commute via train each day through New Jersey Transit Northeast Corridor line. For you, if you use the Gladstone line, you have to change at Secacus and take a train back to Newark, New Jersey. The thing about New Jersey Transit is that when it comes to trains and commuting there are some days when there might be some delays, usually minor. Most of the time it is quite efficient, and worth the time. In addition, you get to ride the light rail for free if you have a monthly, or weekly pass with atleast one zone.

I think i commented on the parking before, however, its worth another visit. Parking is a situation that figures to be tricky for the campus and its 10,000 or so students. There are two decks, Deck 1 and Deck 2, with Deck 1 being right next to the law school and englehard hall. Deck 2 is further down the university avenue, and usually is used when Deck 1 fills up. During the regular semesters, fall and spring, after say 9:30am there is no parking left and then only Deck 2 is available. Parking is about 380 dollars or so for the entire year and gas would be based on your distance from the campus. Rail fares also vary from where you are coming from, as they can be as low as 74 dollars to as expensive as 440 dollars a month (without the discount).
Last edited by NJcollegestudent on Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NJcollegestudent

Bronze

Post by NJcollegestudent » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:53 pm

phooey182 wrote:
kasparov wrote:
NJcollegestudent wrote:

If you buy a monthly pass on NJ Transit, yes you can take the rail for free. And the monthly pass on NJ Transit is worth it. Also, you can buy a monthly pass through Rutgers, which means you'll get the student discount.

If you do not buy a monthly pass on NJ Transit, the rail is not free. Also, no one on the rail will check to make sure you bought a rail ticket or have a monthly pass. However, police will periodically board the light rail to check for passenger tickets and monthly passes. If you don't have a pass, you'll get a citation which is very expensive.

The discount is extremely convenient for students, as it is 25% off the entire fare. You can enroll through rutgers online and pay the 3 dollars or so extra monthly for the quicktickets. If you do not want to pay the fee, then use the paper form and get it stamped by your registrar, and then present that and your ID to the rail window to get the pass.

Regarding the light rail inspections, it is true about the tickets which are quite the burden if you do not have valid fare payment. For those who come into Rutgers via path or a non New Jersey Transit mode of transportation, then purchase the downtown fare for .70 cents each way, rather than the 1.35 for the full price. The only restriction is that you cannot use downtown fare between 4-7pm outbound.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”