University of Cincinnati! Woot. Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sarlis

Silver

Re: University of Cincinnati! Woot.

Post by sarlis » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:43 am

Thanks. I look forward to meeting them. Are there any tips you have for visiting UC? This will be my first LS visit, and I am kind of nervous, haha.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:46 am

sarlis wrote:Thanks. I look forward to meeting them. Are there any tips you have for visiting UC? This will be my first LS visit, and I am kind of nervous, haha.
Eat at Montgomery Inn.

I'm surprised I haven't heard from UC yet, although I can't imagine choosing them over OSU. It seems like everyone there is really classy. I wish they were ranked higher. :/

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:12 am

sarlis wrote:Thanks. I look forward to meeting them. Are there any tips you have for visiting UC? This will be my first LS visit, and I am kind of nervous, haha.
Well, if you're driving, they'll validate your parking if you park in the Deaconness Parking Garage, which is right down the street from the school.

As for the visit itself, who are you meeting with? If it's Dean Watson, he's really outgoing and talkative, so there's no reason to be nervous. He genuinely seemed like he wanted to know who I was as a person, too. I wouldn't say that he's blunt about things, but he was definitely honest with me about the school in terms of financial aid, job prospects, etc.

He also called a student in on a weekend (and on holiday break) to take me on a tour, which was pretty impressive. Their admissions staff really just wants to make people comfortable.

And if you're from out of the area, eat at Skyline, too. A visit to Cincinnati isn't complete without it. Heh.

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:15 am

MBZags wrote:
Well, if you're driving, they'll validate your parking if you park in the Deaconness Parking Garage, which is right down the street from the school.

As for the visit itself, who are you meeting with? If it's Dean Watson, he's really outgoing and talkative, so there's no reason to be nervous. He genuinely seemed like he wanted to know who I was as a person, too. I wouldn't say that he's blunt about things, but he was definitely honest with me about the school in terms of financial aid, job prospects, etc.

He also called a student in on a weekend (and on holiday break) to take me on a tour, which was pretty impressive. Their admissions staff really just wants to make people comfortable.

And if you're from out of the area, eat at Skyline, too. A visit to Cincinnati isn't complete without it. Heh.
Thanks! I am not exactly sure yet who is taking me on my tour. I hope I will get to meet Dean Watson, though, he seems like a very nice guy.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:19 am

MBZags wrote:And if you're from out of the area, eat at Skyline, too. A visit to Cincinnati isn't complete without it. Heh.
What terrible advice.

Sarlis, avoid Skyline, Gold Star, any other eatery which advertises any form of Cincinnati chili. It's an acquired taste. Stick with Montgomery Inn, La Rosa's, and Grater's...I miss Cincinnati. :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:24 am

TipTravHoot wrote:
MBZags wrote:And if you're from out of the area, eat at Skyline, too. A visit to Cincinnati isn't complete without it. Heh.
What terrible advice.

Sarlis, avoid Skyline, Gold Star, any other eatery which advertises any form of Cincinnati chili. It's an acquired taste. Stick with Montgomery Inn, La Rosa's, and Grater's...I miss Cincinnati. :(
haha. I will try montgomery Inn. i really like their bbq sauce, they have bottles of it in grocery stores (if it is the same place I am thinking about).

BTW 1,000th post!

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:29 am

TipTravHoot wrote:
What terrible advice.

We can agree that it's an acquired taste. A lot of my friends from out of the area think it's gross. We can also agree on La Rosa's and Grater's...such awesomeness. I've never had Montgomery Inn, though.

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:30 am

MBZags wrote:
TipTravHoot wrote:
What terrible advice.

We can agree that it's an acquired taste. A lot of my friends from out of the area think it's gross. We can also agree on La Rosa's and Grater's...such awesomeness. I've never had Montgomery Inn, though.
If either of you two will be in Cincy in the next few weeks we should meet up when I'm there for my visit, I'd be down to try one or all of these suggestions haha

Notor

Bronze

Post by Notor » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:43 am

sarlis wrote:
MBZags wrote:
TipTravHoot wrote:
What terrible advice.

If either of you two will be in Cincy in the next few weeks we should meet up when I'm there for my visit, I'd be down to try one or all of these suggestions haha
Eat at Skyline, there is a really cool retro one in Clifton right down the street from UC

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:54 am

LaRosa's FTW.

Tour the entire campus. The football stadium is right in the center and it has a really great feel to it. Also, most buildings are pretty now and the campus itself is aesthetically pleasing. Dean Watson is very nice and extremely accommodating. I almost went to UC Law last cycle but opted to retake. Also, my dad is a prof there at the UG level.

Gold

Post by 02082010 » Tue Jan 19, 2010 2:55 am

TipTravHoot wrote:
What terrible advice.

Zips in Mt Lookout Square is also FTW.

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Tue Jan 19, 2010 4:15 am

sarlis wrote:
MBZags wrote:
TipTravHoot wrote:
What terrible advice.

Unfortunately, I'll still be in WA for school, but best of luck on the visit. Let us know how it goes man.

msbeautifulbasham

Bronze

Post by msbeautifulbasham » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:51 am

Unfortunately, I'll still be in WA for school, but best of luck on the visit. Let us know how it goes man.[/quote]

+1 yes, please let us know! i can't make a trip out there, so I'm counting on your stories to help me out!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Tue Jan 19, 2010 11:27 am

I will definitely provide great details! my visit is next month.

sapp

Bronze

Post by sapp » Wed Jan 20, 2010 12:49 pm

Has anyone heard anything lately? My "your application is complete" email is getting lonely and would love to be paired with an "accepted" email or letter.

fulkersonr1

Bronze

Post by fulkersonr1 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:50 pm

Received scholarship info. today. $6,500 a year, which would be pretty good when coupled with GMR. Prob not enough for me to attend though.

cavebat2000

Bronze

Post by cavebat2000 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:56 pm

my hometown is Cincinnati. Congrats to those who are in. Despite what you may hear on TLS, UC enjoys a very good reputation all across Ohio and has access to the federal circuit court, if im not mistaken.

Also...

Skyline Chili
Goldstar Chili
Steak and Shake
Frishes Big Boy
and White Castle if you feel like committing suicide

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

msbeautifulbasham

Bronze

Post by msbeautifulbasham » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:37 pm

How long does it take to get a decision after receiving the "Application complete" email. The e-mail says 4-6 weeks, is this accurate?

MBZags

Silver

Post by MBZags » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:30 pm

Yeah, that's about right.

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:05 pm

If you have received a scholly offer from Cincinnati, did it come with the paper admittance letter? (The one with the residency information) Or is it a seperate mailing?

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:07 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:If you have received a scholly offer from Cincinnati, did it come with the paper admittance letter? (The one with the residency information) Or is it a seperate mailing?
my scholly came separately.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Notor

Bronze

Post by Notor » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:10 pm

TipTravHoot wrote:If you have received a scholly offer from Cincinnati, did it come with the paper admittance letter? (The one with the residency information) Or is it a seperate mailing?
It comes like 1-2 weeks following your acceptance if they do indeed offer you any money.

Anyone else seriously considering Cincy? I feel like my choices are going to come down to UC vs. tOSU... I don't really feel like going $100k+ in debt just so I can say I went to a t20 (or t30).

sarlis

Silver

Post by sarlis » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:15 pm

Notor wrote:
It comes like 1-2 weeks following your acceptance if they do indeed offer you any money.

Anyone else seriously considering Cincy? I feel like my choices are going to come down to UC vs. tOSU... I don't really feel like going $100k+ in debt just so I can say I went to a t20 (or t30).
UC is looking very good because of it's in-state tuition for me, coupled with the scholly offer, and the 2.00 GPA stipulation

TTH

Diamond

Post by TTH » Sat Jan 30, 2010 6:16 pm

Notor wrote:

I'm somewhat considering Cincy if the money is really really right. If Cincy steps up with a good scholly and OSU doesn't give me anything, I could see myself going there. I find the small class size attractive.

Dayton

New

Post by Dayton » Sat Jan 30, 2010 7:50 pm

Notor wrote:

I feel the same way about the debt. I'm going into PI so $100k+ in debt scares me, LRAP or not. I'm still waiting to hear from WUSTL and IU-B but unless the offer comes with $$$ Cincy it is. Was really into Case as well but just can't stomach the tuition with Cincy tuition at about $7k/yr after scholarship. I think I'm actually going to send my deposit in when I get my tax return (thank you random tax credits).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”