American U

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Scarletlady

Re: American U

Postby Scarletlady » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:09 pm

Still waiting on my financial aid package, but most likely withdrawing by midweek either way.

WithGrace23

Postby WithGrace23 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:20 pm

Status Checker says Decision Made, is this good or bad? Have other people seen application accepted if they were accepted?

roofles

Postby roofles » Mon Mar 29, 2010 2:34 pm

WithGrace23 wrote:Status Checker says Decision Made, is this good or bad? Have other people seen application accepted if they were accepted?

I can't speak for those who were accepted, but I was waitlisted friday and my status checker says waitlist on it (and was accompanied by an e-mail saying the same).

WithGrace23

Postby WithGrace23 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 3:38 pm

Got my Acceptance Package in the mail one minute ago!

daagermy1

Postby daagermy1 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:10 pm

WithGrace23 wrote:Got my Acceptance Package in the mail one minute ago!

Congrats!

WithGrace23

Postby WithGrace23 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 4:33 pm

Thanks

Relientkate

Postby Relientkate » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:22 pm

In via snail mail

162/3.73 non-urm

expat17

Postby expat17 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:36 pm

just withdrew from the waitlist - hopefully one of you waitlisters gets on.

au must heavily yield protect - im 169 / 3.6 with great softs, just was interested in their international program (which is awesome). oh well.

Bailarina08

Postby Bailarina08 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 9:34 pm

expat17 wrote:just withdrew from the waitlist - hopefully one of you waitlisters gets on.

au must heavily yield protect - im 169 / 3.6 with great softs, just was interested in their international program (which is awesome). oh well.

I'm thinking I was another YP. 167/3.38, but I really want to do International so hopefully I'll get your spot. Thanks for withdrawing!

Snowdrifter

Postby Snowdrifter » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:25 pm

So, do all of the waitlisted people have that $900 ready for the 24-hour response time if you get accepted?... Haha :D

gdane

Postby gdane » Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:36 am

you bet your left nipple I do.

God im hoping I get that email or phone call telling me ive been accepted off the waitlist. I have no idea how likely this is, but Im praying and hoping it happens.

Langfall

Postby Langfall » Sun Apr 04, 2010 2:56 am

Snowdrifter wrote:So, do all of the waitlisted people have that $900 ready for the 24-hour response time if you get accepted?... Haha :D

Do they seriously give you 24 hours to make a final decision?

jjinva

Postby jjinva » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:30 am

yep if you get in off wl you gotta pay within 24 hours.

Scribbly

Postby Scribbly » Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:00 pm

I got a little bit of money from them. It's still intimidating, but since I want to study public interest I've pretty much made up my mind to go there.

cruzgator

Postby cruzgator » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:31 pm

I am on the WL as well. $900 is 24 is so crazy though. I don't plan on getting the phone call though due to the hundreds on the WL.

gdane

Postby gdane » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:36 pm

Mr/s Cruzgator:

If you dont plan on attending or dont feel like its worth it to stay on the WL, then please withdraw. I, as well as many others, are dying to be accepted off the waitlist. Who knows whats gonna happen? I know there are tons of WL'd people with wayy better numbers than me, but I still hope something positive can happen.

DeSilentio2728

Postby DeSilentio2728 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:39 pm

gdane5 wrote:Mr/s Cruzgator:

If you dont plan on attending or dont feel like its worth it to stay on the WL, then please withdraw. I, as well as many others, are dying to be accepted off the waitlist. Who knows whats gonna happen? I know there are tons of WL'd people with wayy better numbers than me, but I still hope something positive can happen.

Wow Gdane, you really deserve to get into American! You have been de-recruiting everyone. Are you also the one on LSN that is asking folks not interested in American to withdraw? Keep Fighting!!!

gdane

Postby gdane » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:50 pm

HAHAHAHAHAAAA!!!!!!

I wish I was the person on LSN. Someone beat me to it. Actually, I asked one person to withdraw, but other than that it seems like I have a copycat.

I almost feel bad for "de-recruiting" people, but I really, really want to go and a lot of people seem lukewarm about going. So why not? I dont want to go to Penn State (my other "best" option). Id so much rather go to AU.

Im also hoping others get in too though. Id be happy to find out someone that really wanted to go was accepted off the waitlist.

Langfall

Postby Langfall » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:03 am

DeSilentio2728 wrote:

Wow Gdane, you really deserve to get into American! You have been de-recruiting everyone. Are you also the one on LSN that is asking folks not interested in American to withdraw? Keep Fighting!!!

indeed. Im kinda wishing I could call them up and show them your dedication. I mean I dont really know you but I know I would rather go to school with someone like you who wants to be there rather than someone who is going just because....

Although on that note, question. Today I received a scholarship from Hofstra offering a conditional 10k a year. Do you guys think I could show this to AU to get them to up my fin aid or so? I will almost def end up at AU but that COA is steep and the fin aid they gave me didnt help much. I already sent them an email detailing my concerns and they havent gotten back to me yet but maybe if I tell them about this offer they maybe more willing to give me a second glance. Then again Hofstra really doesnt match up to AU so Im not sure if telling them about this will be of any consequence at all.

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:42 am

It seems like you really want to go to Hofstra. I think you should take the money and attend. Don even try with American since they wont give in.

Haha. Im fooling with you. I would try to negotiate anyway. You never know.

Thank you for the compliment. I really do want to go. I dont care that the school is "ranked" 45 or whatever. I genuinely like the school, its programs and the location. Ive heard nothing but great things and I would be overjoyed if I get in. Alas, thats out of my control...

Its on Seabass

Postby Its on Seabass » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:51 pm

He didnt say that he wasnt interested in attending, just that he had little hope. Why should he withdraw if he still wants to attend? Should enthusiasm on TLS be a factor for getting off of the waitlist?

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:03 pm

Yea he never directly said he wasnt interested. I was just suggesting a course of action. He doesnt have to take it into consideration at all. If Cruzgator does, then great! I appreciate what he did. If he doesnt, then not a problem. I wish him good luck as well.

Should enthusiasm be a factor for getting off a waitlist? Yes. Schools often waitlist people for yield protection purposes and the ensuing withdrawals and bitching on TLS prove why they waitlisted people to begin with. Its not just American. Its all schools. People complain that they were YP'd and then say "Oh i didnt want to go anyway. im withdrawing". So people just apply to apply and say "I got into 20 schools", rather than only applying to schools that they truly want to attend. People are free to apply wherever they want, but while one person might not even care about the school that they were waitlisted at, another person genuinely does.

Ill say this: Im going to stop trying to "de-recruit" people on here. Apparently, its no surprise that Im waitlisted at AU and would love nothing more than to get in. So, I dont need to keep going with the de recruiting. I really dont want to annoy people. So, Im just gonna stay on the sidelines. As a matter of fact, I should start on another LOCI. Its been a month since my last one. Haha.

Bert

Postby Bert » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:09 pm

AU doesn't seem to negotiate scholarships. I wrote them about scholarships I received at peer schools and they didn't budge -- just politely told me that they were not going to play.

lstwin

Postby lstwin » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:14 pm

Bert wrote:AU doesn't seem to negotiate scholarships. I wrote them about scholarships I received at peer schools and they didn't budge -- just politely told me that they were not going to play.

I did the same thing, and I got the same response.

Its on Seabass

Postby Its on Seabass » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:22 pm

gdane5 wrote:Yea he never directly said he wasnt interested. I was just suggesting a course of action. He doesnt have to take it into consideration at all. If Cruzgator does, then great! I appreciate what he did. If he doesnt, then not a problem. I wish him good luck as well.

Should enthusiasm be a factor for getting off a waitlist? Yes. Schools often waitlist people for yield protection purposes and the ensuing withdrawals and bitching on TLS prove why they waitlisted people to begin with. Its not just American. Its all schools. People complain that they were YP'd and then say "Oh i didnt want to go anyway. im withdrawing". So people just apply to apply and say "I got into 20 schools", rather than only applying to schools that they truly want to attend. People are free to apply wherever they want, but while one person might not even care about the school that they were waitlisted at, another person genuinely does.

Ill say this: Im going to stop trying to "de-recruit" people on here. Apparently, its no surprise that Im waitlisted at AU and would love nothing more than to get in. So, I dont need to keep going with the de recruiting. I really dont want to annoy people. So, Im just gonna stay on the sidelines. As a matter of fact, I should start on another LOCI. Its been a month since my last one. Haha.

Its fine keep it up Im on the waitlist also and want to get in. People need to realize that American probably isnt worth a 180k anyways.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”