American U

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lstwin

Re: American U

Postby lstwin » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:29 pm

Scarletlady wrote:I enjoyed the ASE a lot. I was really impressed that they offered a PT-only event since we have slightly more unique issues than FT students. They really try to incorporate PTers in clubs and events so it seems like you have a lot more access than at other schools. I was also excited to hear that they have a General Law Clinic that is held in the evening.

I'm a little put off by the location since its not the easiest place to get to. I am thinking of sitting in on a class in the next week or so to get a better feel for everything.

Did they say anything about financial aid? I'm really interested in American (going to the ASD on Friday), but the tuition + COL + tiny merit aid and no need-based aid first year makes me extremely nervous.

Scarletlady

Postby Scarletlady » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:34 pm

lstwin wrote:
Scarletlady wrote:I enjoyed the ASE a lot. I was really impressed that they offered a PT-only event since we have slightly more unique issues than FT students. They really try to incorporate PTers in clubs and events so it seems like you have a lot more access than at other schools. I was also excited to hear that they have a General Law Clinic that is held in the evening.

I'm a little put off by the location since its not the easiest place to get to. I am thinking of sitting in on a class in the next week or so to get a better feel for everything.

Did they say anything about financial aid? I'm really interested in American (going to the ASD on Friday), but the tuition + COL + tiny merit aid and no need-based aid first year makes me extremely nervous.

They said financial aid packages will be sent by the end of the week. However, you can only access it through the online portal; they will not be sending hard copies. I am unfamiliar with what the typically offer. As a PTer they do not consider parental income in making a decision, which they do for FTers.

How did you recieve your merit aid? With your acceptance letter? Or seprate?

lstwin

Postby lstwin » Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:41 pm

Scarletlady wrote:They said financial aid packages will be sent by the end of the week. However, you can only access it through the online portal; they will not be sending hard copies. I am unfamiliar with what the typically offer. As a PTer they do not consider parental income in making a decision, which they do for FTers.

How did you recieve your merit aid? With your acceptance letter? Or seprate?

I got an email a few days after my acceptance with the merit scholarship info ($10,000 one time, which doesn't do much to offset the cost of attendance), and then I got a hard copy of the offer in the mail about a week after that.

I got an email a few days ago that said that I wasn't eligible for need-based aid, so if I go it will be all loans (minus the $10,000) the first year.

I read on their site that they have a number of "restricted" scholarships that are offered second and third year. Did they mention those at the ASD?

DeSilentio2728

Postby DeSilentio2728 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:26 pm

Has anyone gotten their financial aid packages yet (need-based not merit)? If so could you let us know your acceptance date.

LegalGENius

Postby LegalGENius » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:30 pm

I am in at American! I still haven't decided which school will be getting my deposit! Almost there. . . I think!

DeSilentio2728

Postby DeSilentio2728 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:31 pm

LegalGENius wrote:I am in at American! I still haven't decided which school will be getting my deposit! Almost there. . . I think!

Congrats!!!!

LegalGENius

Postby LegalGENius » Wed Mar 24, 2010 3:36 pm

DeSilentio2728 wrote:
LegalGENius wrote:I am in at American! I still haven't decided which school will be getting my deposit! Almost there. . . I think!

Congrats!!!!

TY! Not sure if it will be D.C., I am a South Florida girl :wink: !

daagermy1

Postby daagermy1 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:12 pm

Scarletlady wrote:
Langfall wrote:
Hey you guys who went to the ASE, how was it? I havent gotten to visit the school yet and wont be able to attend any of the ASE's so Im quite curious on other people's take

I enjoyed the ASE a lot. I was really impressed that they offered a PT-only event since we have slightly more unique issues than FT students. They really try to incorporate PTers in clubs and events so it seems like you have a lot more access than at other schools. I was also excited to hear that they have a General Law Clinic that is held in the evening.

I also really enjoyed the ASE. They did a fantastic job tailoring it to PT-students, especially giving us some peace of mind that PT is doable....hard, but doable.

Also really excited about the evening clinic! Pretty sure AU is the only PT-program with a clinic available.

Location is a bit tough, especially for weekend use. But the buses run pretty frequently from Tenley metro, so it's not terrible. Would like the parking to be a bit more student friendly.

Regarding financial aid, was told the packages are ready and should be going out today or soon.

Feel free to PM me with any specific Q's.

daagermy1

Postby daagermy1 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:13 pm

LegalGENius wrote:
DeSilentio2728 wrote:

Congrats!!!!

TY! Not sure if it will be D.C., I am a South Florida girl :wink: !

Congrats!! AU is definitely worth the visit if you can find a way to DC.

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Mar 24, 2010 7:18 pm

LegalGEnius, Im in south florida too. Graduated from FIU fall 2009.

I've been waitlisted at American and most everyone on here knows Im dying to get accepted off the waitlist. haha.

Congratulations though. It'd be nice to see a So. Fla person if I go to AU. Thats a big if though. :(

diblasz

Postby diblasz » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:33 am

I just received my financial aid package from American U and received more $$ than I expected, so I will probably attend next year.

I will be driving in from N. Va Alexandria area- if anyone is interested in a joint commute, PM me.

Good luck to everyone!

Jules Winnfield

Postby Jules Winnfield » Thu Mar 25, 2010 9:17 am

diblasz wrote:I just received my financial aid package from American U and received more $$ than I expected, so I will probably attend next year.

I will be driving in from N. Va Alexandria area- if anyone is interested in a joint commute, PM me.

Good luck to everyone!

How'd you receive your package? Via e-mail or standard letter?

LegalGENius

Postby LegalGENius » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:04 am

gdane5 wrote:LegalGEnius, Im in south florida too. Graduated from FIU fall 2009.

I've been waitlisted at American and most everyone on here knows Im dying to get accepted off the waitlist. haha.

Congratulations though. It'd be nice to see a So. Fla person if I go to AU. Thats a big if though. :(

Chin up! Be persistent :)!

jjinva

Postby jjinva » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:18 am

I broke down an opened my file up to p/t. Maybe that will help me get off waitlist. Just xfer to full-time for second and third year. Make up first year missed classes along the way. Depressing thought, but...what can you do?

umterp08

Postby umterp08 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 11:59 am

also got my financial aid notification yesterday. It was an email telling me to check my my.american.edu account. More generous than I expected, probably pushed me to attending the school

DeSilentio2728

Postby DeSilentio2728 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:15 pm

Accepted students should check their my.american accounts for their financial aid packages. I have yet to receive an email or letter notifying me of my award, but I went to my.american and was able to obtain my financial aid award.

Bert

Postby Bert » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:20 pm

How/Where did you find the information on my american?

umterp08

Postby umterp08 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:30 pm

Bert wrote:How/Where did you find the information on my american?

log in, click on "Finances" on the right side bar and then click on "Financial Aid: Accept My Award Package."

Ben2010

Postby Ben2010 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:24 pm

Just got the waitlist e-mail.

:?

GentlemanJim

Postby GentlemanJim » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:33 pm

Me too. I wasn't gonna go anyway, but it's still kinda of a kick in the nuts. Confusing too, I'm pretty well above their medians with strong softs. WTF?

tadams86

Postby tadams86 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:35 pm

have you seen their lsn graph?

scc430

Postby scc430 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:36 pm

I learned about YP through my waitlist at American. Apparently they usually WL people well above their medians bc they don't think they will come and they want to look more selective

phila86

Postby phila86 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 6:27 pm

umterp08 wrote:
Bert wrote:How/Where did you find the information on my american?

log in, click on "Finances" on the right side bar and then click on "Financial Aid: Accept My Award Package."

will the financial award be listed before you accept the award? none is listed so is it safe to assume that (i) there's no award or (ii) hasn't been released yet..

sk08

Postby sk08 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:53 pm

Yes, you see the details of the award. I was able to see mine on the website, but have not received an e-mail yet.

phila86

Postby phila86 » Sun Mar 28, 2010 8:24 pm

Thanks...however, I was prob. better off not viewing. Life of loan repayments is not appealing...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”