American U

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
set88

Re: American U

Postby set88 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 6:24 pm

kaydish21 wrote:I thought I was YP'ed when I first saw the WL email and now I am sure of it after looking at LSN.
169, 3.6, good PI softs. Ah well, I guess its in their rights.

Yuuup. Same deal here. 168/3.71. I know people have done more than enough bitching about this in this thread so I won't add to it, other than to say I don't plan on staying on the WL and I never would've applied to American if I'd researched them first. As soon as I started reading this thread, I expected the WL and wasn't at all surprised. I would've saved myself some money applying if I'd read it first.

phoenix323

Postby phoenix323 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:45 pm

Admitted student from back in February.

I just received my financial aid letter. Nothing.

The letter said "Funding criteria was not met. Your available resources exceed the level for grant support."

I made $5,500 last year.

Needs Access form is completely unfair. I should not have to put my parent's income when they have not financially supported me in any way since 2004.

American also said at the end of the letter "don't bother trying to negotiate" (In so many words)

I definitely will not pay sticker for American. Withdrawing.

Good luck to those still waiting.

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri Mar 19, 2010 7:53 pm

Thanks for the withdrawal. It is appreciated.

Good luck in your future endeavors Phoenix.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Fri Mar 19, 2010 9:17 pm

set88 wrote:
snowpeach06 wrote:Am I crazy to think that they are going to accept those of us with a 161/162 before all the YP candidates? If that is the case, I mean, hopefully we can get off. I'm visiting this weekend. Was waitlisted a few months ago, but wanted to visit before I wrote my LOCI. When I called the office they said they don't start re-considering applicants before April anyway.

Before, I was worried about the tuition at American. But, I will have free housing with a friend who is going to GW, and the more I think about it, the 50k or so in debt might be worth it, since I know I love DC. And it's a hell of a lot better than Buffalo NY.

I don't know if anyone answered this, but I was going to say, I'd guess that it's probably going to be based on how much interest those higher YP number people show. Many probably won't. Besides, the 161/162 seems to be what American wants or the YP people would've been admitted in the first place. So I'd say you stand a good chance.

I'm crossing my fingers.

idreamoflawschool09

Postby idreamoflawschool09 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:24 am

snowpeach06 wrote:Am I crazy to think that they are going to accept those of us with a 161/162 before all the YP candidates? If that is the case, I mean, hopefully we can get off. I'm visiting this weekend. Was waitlisted a few months ago, but wanted to visit before I wrote my LOCI. When I called the office they said they don't start re-considering applicants before April anyway.

Before, I was worried about the tuition at American. But, I will have free housing with a friend who is going to GW, and the more I think about it, the 50k or so in debt might be worth it, since I know I love DC. And it's a hell of a lot better than Buffalo NY.

you're from buffalo? Me too! ( I live down here now though). Where did you go for undergrad?

kaydish21

Postby kaydish21 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:26 am

snowpeach06 wrote:
set88 wrote:

I don't know if anyone answered this, but I was going to say, I'd guess that it's probably going to be based on how much interest those higher YP number people show. Many probably won't. Besides, the 161/162 seems to be what American wants or the YP people would've been admitted in the first place. So I'd say you stand a good chance.

I'm crossing my fingers.

I'm one of the YP's and I'm withdrawing today. Hope it helps!

jlnoa0915

Postby jlnoa0915 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:27 am

Anyone receive financial aid information yet?

globallawyer

Postby globallawyer » Mon Mar 22, 2010 11:44 am

jlnoa0915 wrote:Anyone receive financial aid information yet?

I received an email on Friday saying that I don't qualify for any grant money. It also talked a little about the generic federal aid options and said that "If you have a FAFSA on file, award notice will be sent under separate cover."

If you haven't heard anything and filled out the Need Access form, then you should hear from them soon.

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:37 pm

idreamoflawschool09 wrote:

you're from buffalo? Me too! ( I live down here now though). Where did you go for undergrad?

I'm actually from the Catskill Mountains, a few hours south. I'm at Case Western for my undergrad, in Cleveland. But, I'm really considering UB, not because I want to go there, but because it's soooooo cheap. Esp. compared to American.

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Mon Mar 22, 2010 4:33 pm

Just withdrew from American, kind of bittersweet, it was my first acceptance, but I will not be able to visit, nor do I wish to pay sticker.

Good luck I hope someone awesome gets my spot!

daagermy1

Postby daagermy1 » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:17 pm

Anyone else going to tomorrow's admitted students evening? Trying to decide between AU and Mason.

lstwin

Postby lstwin » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:21 pm

daagermy1 wrote:Anyone else going to tomorrow's admitted students evening? Trying to decide between AU and Mason.

I'm going to the one on Friday. Let us know how it goes tomorrow.

Scarletlady

Postby Scarletlady » Mon Mar 22, 2010 5:31 pm

daagermy1 wrote:Anyone else going to tomorrow's admitted students evening? Trying to decide between AU and Mason.

I'll be there. I have to skip the tour because of work, but will get there in time for the Dean's address.

gdane

Postby gdane » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:21 pm

Go to Mason. Arlington is much nicer to live in than NW DC.

Jules Winnfield

Postby Jules Winnfield » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:28 pm

gdane5 wrote:Go to Mason. Arlington is much nicer to live in than NW DC.

Flag on the play.

gdane

Postby gdane » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:32 pm

Hahahaah. What do you mean?

Jules Winnfield

Postby Jules Winnfield » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:33 pm

gdane5 wrote:Hahahaah. What do you mean?

If anything, NW DC is a nicer area than Arlington, VA because NW DC is in an expensive area with a higher quality of living than Arlington, which is relatively much more urban and busy.

gdane

Postby gdane » Mon Mar 22, 2010 8:39 pm

Ehh maybe. I went to DC for new years and I was far more impressed with Arlington/NOVA than I was with NW DC.

I wouldnt mind either though. Ha.

GentlemanJim

Postby GentlemanJim » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:12 am

RULING: NW DC>>>>>>>>Arlington

idreamoflawschool09

Postby idreamoflawschool09 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:15 am

snowpeach06 wrote:
idreamoflawschool09 wrote:

I'm actually from the Catskill Mountains, a few hours south. I'm at Case Western for my undergrad, in Cleveland. But, I'm really considering UB, not because I want to go there, but because it's soooooo cheap. Esp. compared to American.

ah yes. i got overexcited at the mention of Buffalonians. haha. anyways I have many friends at UB law they all love it, apparently the grading policy is nice, plus Buffalo's COL is really cheap. I visited American yesterday and was really not feeling it.

bits6884

Postby bits6884 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:29 am

phoenix323 wrote:Admitted student from back in February.

I just received my financial aid letter. Nothing.

The letter said "Funding criteria was not met. Your available resources exceed the level for grant support."

I made $5,500 last year.

Needs Access form is completely unfair. I should not have to put my parent's income when they have not financially supported me in any way since 2004.

American also said at the end of the letter "don't bother trying to negotiate" (In so many words)

I definitely will not pay sticker for American. Withdrawing.

Good luck to those still waiting.

I am in the exact same position. I called the Financial Aid office to ask what the threshold is for deciding merit based grant money. I was told that there is no minimum or maximum. I said that I did not make that much and was told then it was probably your parents income that was too high. So I said, I've been financially independent for four years. The girl then told me that it doesn't really matter. No matter what you put for how long you've been independent, they are still going to assume you are getting help from your parents.

Either the girl I spoke to has no clue what she's saying, or there really is no way to get around your parent's financial situation-real fair! I'm with you Phoenix, I'm not paying sticker. And American was looking really attractive-study abroad, great clinical programs. Too bad.

smartblonde87

Postby smartblonde87 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 10:33 am

gdane5 wrote:Ehh maybe. I went to DC for new years and I was far more impressed with Arlington/NOVA than I was with NW DC.

I wouldnt mind either though. Ha.

NOVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

+1

snowpeach06

Postby snowpeach06 » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:34 pm

idreamoflawschool09 wrote:ah yes. i got overexcited at the mention of Buffalonians. haha. anyways I have many friends at UB law they all love it, apparently the grading policy is nice, plus Buffalo's COL is really cheap. I visited American yesterday and was really not feeling it.

Yeah. But I think the area leaves something to be desired. I'm visiting American this weekend, so I guess we'll see.

Langfall

Postby Langfall » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:26 pm

Scarletlady wrote:
Post subject: Re: American U Reply with quote
daagermy1 wrote:
Anyone else going to tomorrow's admitted students evening? Trying to decide between AU and Mason.

I'll be there. I have to skip the tour because of work, but will get there in time for the Dean's address.

Hey you guys who went to the ASE, how was it? I havent gotten to visit the school yet and wont be able to attend any of the ASE's so Im quite curious on other people's take

Scarletlady

Postby Scarletlady » Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:32 pm

Langfall wrote:
Hey you guys who went to the ASE, how was it? I havent gotten to visit the school yet and wont be able to attend any of the ASE's so Im quite curious on other people's take

I enjoyed the ASE a lot. I was really impressed that they offered a PT-only event since we have slightly more unique issues than FT students. They really try to incorporate PTers in clubs and events so it seems like you have a lot more access than at other schools. I was also excited to hear that they have a General Law Clinic that is held in the evening.

I'm a little put off by the location since its not the easiest place to get to. I am thinking of sitting in on a class in the next week or so to get a better feel for everything.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”