American U

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
gdane

Re: American U

Postby gdane » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:44 pm

Amen to that! Schools can do whatever they want. One year Harvard might say they wont accept any scores above 170. Wont happen, but they can do it if they want.

cyh

Postby cyh » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:56 pm

DeSilentio2728 wrote:
akili wrote:I was waitlisted a ways back, and though LSP says I'm an auto-admit, I'm pretty sure my 160/3.8 wasn't YP'ing. Am I genuinely on the W/L or what?

If you are not a URM, then yup. Just wait it out, and maybe I'll see ya next fall!

...what would it mean if he was a urm? soft rejection?

changeitup

Postby changeitup » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:01 pm

What does "YP" stand for? thanks!

jlnoa0915

Postby jlnoa0915 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:02 pm

changeitup wrote:What does "YP" stand for? thanks!

Yield protection

DeSilentio2728

Postby DeSilentio2728 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:03 pm

cyh wrote:
DeSilentio2728 wrote:
akili wrote:I was waitlisted a ways back, and though LSP says I'm an auto-admit, I'm pretty sure my 160/3.8 wasn't YP'ing. Am I genuinely on the W/L or what?

If you are not a URM, then yup. Just wait it out, and maybe I'll see ya next fall!

...what would it mean if he was a urm? soft rejection?

YP

memaha

Postby memaha » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:04 pm

Yield Protection, where a school rejects or WLs an applicant that they assume will decline the offer anyways to attend a higher-ranked school. The school is trying to keep their yield rate up and acceptance rate down.

changeitup

Postby changeitup » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:07 pm

memaha wrote:

Yield Protection, where a school rejects or WLs an applicant that they assume will decline the offer anyways to attend a higher-ranked school. The school is trying to keep their yield rate up and acceptance rate down.

Ahh, that just cleared a lot up about this thread lol. Thank you!

fawlty

Postby fawlty » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:10 pm

I was also WL'ed today, most likely YP as my LSAT is high for American. While I have been accepted to higher ranked schools, I would still gladly choose American because of its programs and location. It is just unfortunate. I understand the value of this practice from an adcomm's perspective, my only beef is that I think that if they are going to do this (which they have for years, as it appears on LSN) they should create a method for applicants to express how seriously they are considering the school. Maybe an optional essay, or interview process. Instead, I get the feeling, which is most likely unfounded, that my application was never treated that seriously.

Also, how common is it for schools to say that if you are accepted from the WL that you have to make a decision in 24 hrs. That seems a bit much. And, does anyone know, traditionally, how difficult it is to get accepted with money off the waitlist?

eandy

Postby eandy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:15 pm

fawlty wrote:I was also WL'ed today, most likely YP as my LSAT is high for American. While I have been accepted to higher ranked schools, I would still gladly choose American because of its programs and location. It is just unfortunate. I understand the value of this practice from an adcomm's perspective, my only beef is that I think that if they are going to do this (which they have for years, as it appears on LSN) they should create a method for applicants to express how seriously they are considering the school. Maybe an optional essay, or interview process. Instead, I get the feeling, which is most likely unfounded, that my application was never treated that seriously.

Also, how common is it for schools to say that if you are accepted from the WL that you have to make a decision in 24 hrs. That seems a bit much. And, does anyone know, traditionally, how difficult it is to get accepted with money off the waitlist?

Not to be rude, but I am getting really annoyed by people whining about this. If you are seriously concerned about getting YP'd at a school you really want to go to, write an addendum. For American, you could have written an Addendum or explanation for question 21 that asked who or what prompted you to apply to American.
Nobody said you couldn't write a Why American essay or something as an addendum and attached it. What's the worst that could have happened? They waitlist you in protest? Oh, wait...

Cryptonion

Postby Cryptonion » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:25 pm

Ugggg i m just for American WCL PT ...

I am 167/3.82 (Princeton)

and just received a WL decision ... hmmm ...

I noticed ppl here complaining being YP'd?

HOw could that happen in an admission process? I mean, I knew sth about general grad school admission from my parents --it's absolutely foreign to hear ppl may get rejected for being "too good"? :|

Does anybody have similar experience? mind sharing?

fawlty

Postby fawlty » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:27 pm

I didn't mean to come across as whiny. You are right, perhaps I should have seized the opportunity to write an addendum, and I hope I still can convince them I really do want to go. My post was more of me venting about how brutally numbers oriented the whole process can be.

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:27 pm

WL =/ rejection

eandy

Postby eandy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:30 pm

fawlty wrote:I didn't mean to come across as whiny. You are right, perhaps I should have seized the opportunity to write an addendum, and I hope I still can convince them I really do want to go. My post was more of me venting about how brutally numbers oriented the whole process can be.

I don't think it would be annoying if it was just you, it's just in general people have been complaining about YP a LOT. I hit my breaking point :)

I think if you write a good LOCI, you'll be fine. I know a lot of people are withdrawing/have withdrawn (like me) so it should be fine. Besides, the cycle is so crazy this year, waitlists are going to be pretty active this year, I think.

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:02 am

lol @ people saying that the YPs aren't based solely on numbers. Go here and then come back and say that with a straight face: http://american.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

Doodsmack

Postby Doodsmack » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:07 am

Holly Golightly wrote:lol @ people saying that the YPs aren't based solely on numbers. Go here and then come back and say that with a straight face: http://american.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

I don't think the chart, on its face, proves anything. It takes an assumption to go from the chart to pure YP. I see some green to the right of 166.

Also, a good thought from another thread:

A lot of people are guilty of turning in half-assed and poorly executed applications to safety schools. It might have been typos and/or oversight which communicated "Safety - ain't gonna really attend."

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Thu Feb 25, 2010 10:49 am

Doodsmack wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:lol @ people saying that the YPs aren't based solely on numbers. Go here and then come back and say that with a straight face: http://american.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

I don't think the chart, on its face, proves anything. It takes an assumption to go from the chart to pure YP. I see some green to the right of 166.
posting.php?mode=quote&f=7&p=2623615

A lot of people are guilty of turning in half-assed and poorly executed applications to safety schools. It might have been typos and/or oversight which communicated "Safety - ain't gonna really attend."

Memo for future applicants: If you want to go to AU, make sure your LSAT is >/= 162 but </= 164. Any lower and you're not smart enough. Any higher and it will be assumed that you meant "Georgetown" or "G-Dub" everywhere you wrote "AU." hth :P

ongsar

Postby ongsar » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:01 pm

jlnoa0915 wrote:
ongsar wrote:
jlnoa0915 wrote:Sorry for all the W/L but seems like they made the right choice considering the reactions from some of you. Doesn't look like you would have went if accepted and would have held up a seat of someone who actually would have gone. Just my two cents.

Also on a more personal level; we're are all studying to be professionals and the reactions from some of you have shown nothing but the contrary. Your decision is your decision, either do a LOCI or withdraw, don't cry and moan like a bunch of children.

For the record, I absolutely would have considered attending. True, all things being equal, American wasn't my first choice, but had I not been accepted at other schools, or had American offered me scholarship money, I would have weighed the decision very carefully indeed. As it turns out, American has made the decision easy for me.

As for the "whining like children" comment, I have to admit that I don't like to see excessive moaning either. At the same time, it IS frustrating to hear from a school (that your numbers indicated as a safety school) and be told that you are waitlisted. If you cannot express your frustration (in appropriate moderation) on TLS, where can you?

I wasn't calling you or anyone out in particular and I obviously cannot know one's motivations either. I also feel that there is nothing wrong considering a school depending on the amount of scholarship money they may give. My issue, and it seems we agree on this, is how everyone handled this. Yes, it looks like AU sent out W/L today mostly to YP which does suck, but whether that is an abhorrent practice or not is debatable, but as future professionals in the field of law I would have hoped for it to be discussed maturely, rather than to moan about how a safety school protected itself from a majority of people who, as a few have stated, were accepted to better schools with $. Let us not forget AU isn't known for giving out a lot of $ in the first place.

Oh, I wasn't offended or anything...I know you weren't calling anyone out in particular, and I agree pretty much 100% with what you said. I too am tired of all the lamenting and groaning over the WL decision. At the same time, I know that it IS frustrating to pay an application fee, wait several months, and then get WL, and so I know moaning is going to happen. I wish some of the more blatent whining could be channeled into constructive discussion, but I think we can agree that you cannot be adult and constructive ALL the time...sometimes, it's just more fun to stomp your feet and b*tch, lol :)

statuscheckerssuck

Postby statuscheckerssuck » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:07 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
Doodsmack wrote:

posting.php?mode=quote&f=7&p=2623615

Memo for future applicants: If you want to go to AU, make sure your LSAT is >/= 162 but </= 164. Any lower and you're not smart enough. Any higher and it will be assumed that you meant "Georgetown" or "G-Dub" everywhere you wrote "AU." hth :P

+1
Maybe there is a specific LSAT course you can take entitled "how to score neither to high nor to low on the LSAT"

And Doodsmack, maybe that is true of some applicants, but I am fairly certain that the bloodbath that occurred yesterday was not entirely compromised of those with "poorly Executed applications." I can assure you that I put just as much time into my American application as I did all my others.

AliceB

Postby AliceB » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:08 pm

fawlty wrote:I was also WL'ed today, most likely YP as my LSAT is high for American. While I have been accepted to higher ranked schools, I would still gladly choose American because of its programs and location. It is just unfortunate. I understand the value of this practice from an adcomm's perspective, my only beef is that I think that if they are going to do this (which they have for years, as it appears on LSN) they should create a method for applicants to express how seriously they are considering the school. Maybe an optional essay, or interview process. Instead, I get the feeling, which is most likely unfounded, that my application was never treated that seriously.

They already offer this - it's called Early Decision.

fawlty

Postby fawlty » Thu Feb 25, 2010 6:33 pm

AliceB wrote:

Well, for reasons, I could not take the LSAT until December and the deadline for ED was November. So this was not an option for me.

umichgrad

Postby umichgrad » Fri Feb 26, 2010 12:21 pm

I was also YP Waitlisted, and while I won't whine about it, I was a little surprised...not because I think I'm entitled to get in, but because I wrote a compelling Why WCL essay including my first-hand experience with professors there and my interest in the clinic programs. The WL made me feel like they literally throw certain numbers in a pile, without even reading the apps.

Katerina

Postby Katerina » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:40 pm

umichgrad wrote:I was also YP Waitlisted, and while I won't whine about it, I was a little surprised...not because I think I'm entitled to get in, but because I wrote a compelling Why WCL essay including my first-hand experience with professors there and my interest in the clinic programs. The WL made me feel like they literally throw certain numbers in a pile, without even reading the apps.

+1.

AliceB

Postby AliceB » Fri Feb 26, 2010 1:45 pm

fawlty wrote:
AliceB wrote:

Well, for reasons, I could not take the LSAT until December and the deadline for ED was November. So this was not an option for me.

And that's called bad planning....

statuscheckerssuck

Postby statuscheckerssuck » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:01 pm

AliceB wrote:
fawlty wrote:
AliceB wrote:

And that's called bad planning....

Your sarcastic remarks are both unnecessary and annoying. Stop acting as if you know others situation. Fawlty could have a completely legitimate reason for not being able to take the LSAT till December.

AliceB

Postby AliceB » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:17 pm

statuscheckerssuck wrote: Your sarcastic remarks are both unnecessary and annoying. Stop acting as if you know others situation. Fawlty could have a completely legitimate reason for not being able to take the LSAT till December.

I'm simply tired of listening to people whine in this thread. The rest of us got our apps together in a timely manner. If you want to whine about not taking the LSAT earlier, you can always apply in the next cycle. I was only pointing out that there is a very effective way of showing American they are your first choice, whether or not your chose to use it.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”