American U

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
muggie

Re: American U

Postby muggie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:56 pm

Amid all of the outrage against people who were YPed, I was also just WLed & wishing that I didn't have to wait the 2 1/2 months for it. I agree with the others that although it was a safety, I had an interest in it otherwise I wouldn't have forked over the app fee. Good luck to those still waiting, though!

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:57 pm

D. H2Oman wrote:Yes, what a win. The swiss couldn't handle us. USA USA USA

:lol:

DeSilentio2728

Postby DeSilentio2728 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:57 pm

jbrowning82 wrote:
DeSilentio2728 wrote:
cyh wrote:
DeSilentio2728 wrote:Obviously, they know which students they want to target, and which ones they do not. SORRY SUPER HIGH LSAT'ers, but you are not that wanted!

Would it be wrong for me to call this "NON-SUPER HIGH LSAT'er" (LOW LSAT'er) a hater? hmmm

I was admitted to American with a 163 four days after I sent the application. Only took it once without much study, but I was content with my score, and thus I had no desire to spend the additional time to study after in order to boost the score a second time around.

Well yeah I mean if youre gonna settle on a school like American no need to really strain yourself mentally.

A little disgruntled eh? No need to take it out on others! Take a breath, and then rejoice in your self declared superiority!

statuscheckerssuck

Postby statuscheckerssuck » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:58 pm

DeSilentio2728 wrote:
cyh wrote:
DeSilentio2728 wrote:Obviously, they know which students they want to target, and which ones they do not. SORRY SUPER HIGH LSAT'ers, but you are not that wanted!

Would it be wrong for me to call this "NON-SUPER HIGH LSAT'er" (LOW LSAT'er) a hater? hmmm

I was admitted to American with a 163 four days after I sent the application. Only took it once without much study, but I was content with my score, and thus I had no desire to spend the additional time to study after in order to boost the score a second time around.

We don't care. If you are going to hate on us for doing well, then we can surely hate on you.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:59 pm

I never thought on TLS I'd see someone be cocky over their admission to American. That is a first.

Good luck in life, dude.

cyh

Postby cyh » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:00 pm

jbrowning82 wrote:
DeSilentio2728 wrote:
cyh wrote:

Well yeah I mean if youre gonna settle on a school like American no need to really strain yourself mentally.

+1

How cute, Disilentio... Now that I've checked your LSN profile I can see where all of this attitude is coming from.

American was your first and only acceptance (with that 163 and 3.2 GPA), how adorable!

Good luck with Southern Methodist and Ohio State! :lol:

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:03 pm

:lol: The last few pages of this thread are gold! You guys are arguing over who gets to bang the disfigured fat chick. In the end, everyone loses.

DeSilentio2728

Postby DeSilentio2728 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:03 pm

statuscheckerssuck wrote:
DeSilentio2728 wrote:
cyh wrote:

We don't care. If you are going to hate on us for doing well, then we can surely hate on you.

Not hating, just content. I admire your scores, and for the record, I think what American is doing is completely dishonest. Personally, I would like having quite a few higher lsat'ers at my school, as the level of discussion would be better.
Last edited by DeSilentio2728 on Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeSilentio2728

Postby DeSilentio2728 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:05 pm

+1

How cute, Disilentio... Now that I've checked your LSN profile I can see where all of this attitude is coming from.

American was your first and only acceptance (with that 163 and 3.2 GPA), how adorable!

Good luck with Southern Methodist and Ohio State! :lol:[/quote]

just trying to boost the number of views of my profile over at lsn

UGHilbert

Postby UGHilbert » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:06 pm

As someone who lives in DC, but just happened to have a high LSAT score, I'm actually pretty upset. Sure, I've gotten into better schools with scholarships, but my application to American was a focused choice (yes, I'm also butthurt about paying the application fee for this crap). At the end of the day, American was going to be one of my top choices. I don't want to QQ too much, but decisions like this are just indicative of blatant numbers whoring, a pretty unattractive practice. I'd send in a LOCI, but... this might have changed my mind. Sorry to all who don't want to read any more complaints.

gohoos09

Postby gohoos09 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:07 pm

Just received an email that i was WLed, I'm assuming YP because I have been accepted to four schools ranked higher so far...

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:13 pm

gohoos09 wrote:Just received an email that i was WLed, I'm assuming YP because I have been accepted to four schools ranked higher so far...

I also have been YP Waitlisted. If a school isn't interested in raising its medians...

TWoodWil

Postby TWoodWil » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:39 pm

blurbz wrote:
gohoos09 wrote:Just received an email that i was WLed, I'm assuming YP because I have been accepted to four schools ranked higher so far...

I also have been YP Waitlisted. If a school isn't interested in raising its medians...

A 163 raises their median as much as a 167 or a 178, and on the whole it's much more likely that a 163 will attend than a 167. So while on an individual level it royally sucks, on the aggregate protecting their yield is more important (and much, much easier) than increasing their median by more than a couple of points in a year. Waitlisting also allows them to cherry pick those higher LSAT people that really want WCL over W&L, George Mason, GWU, William&Mary, etc.

Doesn't stop that from sucking for those wait listed, though.

blurbz

Postby blurbz » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:44 pm

TWoodWil wrote:
blurbz wrote:

A 163 raises their median as much as a 167 or a 178, and on the whole it's much more likely that a 163 will attend than a 167. So while on an individual level it royally sucks, on the aggregate protecting their yield is more important (and much, much easier) than increasing their median by more than a couple of points in a year. Waitlisting also allows them to cherry pick those higher LSAT people that really want WCL over W&L, George Mason, GWU, William&Mary, etc.

Doesn't stop that from sucking for those wait listed, though.

Yeah, this is all true, I suppose!

akili

Postby akili » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:47 pm

I was waitlisted a ways back, and though LSP says I'm an auto-admit, I'm pretty sure my 160/3.8 wasn't YP'ing. Am I genuinely on the W/L or what?

DeSilentio2728

Postby DeSilentio2728 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:52 pm

akili wrote:I was waitlisted a ways back, and though LSP says I'm an auto-admit, I'm pretty sure my 160/3.8 wasn't YP'ing. Am I genuinely on the W/L or what?

If you are not a URM, then yup. Just wait it out, and maybe I'll see ya next fall!

Bailarina08

Postby Bailarina08 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:29 pm

I got WLed too. I'm pretty upset though. American was pretty close to the top of my list. I want to do Int'l Law and American is definitely a great school for that.

167/3.38. Do you think I can get off the waitlist if I make it clear that I'm interested? Is anyone sending anything besides a LOCI?

jmhendri

Postby jmhendri » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:30 pm

Waitlisted today. I withdrew. After an acceptance at Washington and Lee with a decent scholly and a spot on the UIUC waitlist I cannot even begin to justify WCL. Although studying in DC might have been nice.

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:49 pm

I got WLed too. I'm pretty upset though. American was pretty close to the top of my list. I want to do Int'l Law and American is definitely a great school for that.

167/3.38. Do you think I can get off the waitlist if I make it clear that I'm interested? Is anyone sending anything besides a LOCI?

That sounds almost like a LOCI will get you right in. I am really surprised you got WLed with those numbers, although it appears people have gotten WLed with similar today. I would send in the LOCI and just follow what they tell you to follow. You should maybe set up an appointment with admissions too.

tadams86

Postby tadams86 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:07 pm

I have been wled since 2/19, went complete 2/12. This is definitely a reach for me 159/2.7 (addendum). Im going to send my LOCI, but I highly doubt I will be one of those who gets the acceptance.

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:12 pm

Please Withdraw! Please Withdraw! Please Withdraw!

I really appreciate all the people that have withdrawn upon being waitlisted. You are wonderful and are doing a great service to those that really want to go to AU, but are waitlisted.

For the rest of people that are going to send LOCI's because you "want to see what happens", please dont play with the waitlist. AU is my top choice and I would love to be accepted of the waitlist, as would many other people.

But really sorry so many have been waitlisted. Lesson to be learned: Not everything in life is guaranteed. There is no such thing as an "auto admit".

tadams86

Postby tadams86 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:14 pm

tadams86 wrote:I have been wled since 2/19, went complete 2/12. This is definitely a reach for me 159/2.7 (addendum). Im going to send my LOCI, but I highly doubt I will be one of those who gets the acceptance.

Guess I should specify that this was my top choice...sorry for the confusion.

jlnoa0915

Postby jlnoa0915 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:20 pm

ongsar wrote:
jlnoa0915 wrote:Sorry for all the W/L but seems like they made the right choice considering the reactions from some of you. Doesn't look like you would have went if accepted and would have held up a seat of someone who actually would have gone. Just my two cents.

Also on a more personal level; we're are all studying to be professionals and the reactions from some of you have shown nothing but the contrary. Your decision is your decision, either do a LOCI or withdraw, don't cry and moan like a bunch of children.

For the record, I absolutely would have considered attending. True, all things being equal, American wasn't my first choice, but had I not been accepted at other schools, or had American offered me scholarship money, I would have weighed the decision very carefully indeed. As it turns out, American has made the decision easy for me.

As for the "whining like children" comment, I have to admit that I don't like to see excessive moaning either. At the same time, it IS frustrating to hear from a school (that your numbers indicated as a safety school) and be told that you are waitlisted. If you cannot express your frustration (in appropriate moderation) on TLS, where can you?

I wasn't calling you or anyone out in particular and I obviously cannot know one's motivations either. I also feel that there is nothing wrong considering a school depending on the amount of scholarship money they may give. My issue, and it seems we agree on this, is how everyone handled this. Yes, it looks like AU sent out W/L today mostly to YP which does suck, but whether that is an abhorrent practice or not is debatable, but as future professionals in the field of law I would have hoped for it to be discussed maturely, rather than to moan about how a safety school protected itself from a majority of people who, as a few have stated, were accepted to better schools with $. Let us not forget AU isn't known for giving out a lot of $ in the first place.

Doodsmack

Postby Doodsmack » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:24 pm

Well there's no shortage of angry elitists in this thread. Sorry to break it to you all, but no school is obliged to admit you just because they're your safety. Some of you probably got WLed not because of YP but because the adcomm didn't like something in your application.

Also, I don't understand the accusation that YP is a "dishonest" practice. Law schools can make whatever admissions decisions they want. They didn't promise anything to you, and they're not lying about anything.

eandy

Postby eandy » Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:43 pm

^Exactly.

Yield protection isn't sketchy. It makes perfect sense. I think people lose all sense of reason once they start applying to schools(I include myself in this of course as I am in no way immune). Adcoms aren't just looking at your numbers and deciding if they're high enough. They're looking to see if you are a good fit for the school. I think a lot of times YP isn't as simple as "you won't go because your numbers are high" as "you won't go as you don't fit here".

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”