American U

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
glavine

Re: American U

Postby glavine » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:33 pm

ctn8 wrote:I just got WLed with a 165 and a 3.9 from a non-HYP Ivy. I can't think of anything that could have went wrong on my application (especially considering I've been accepted into the T20 with money). Therefore, is it same to assume they yield-protected me as well? Does anybody know how likely it is they'll accept me if I show continued interest?

also, are you no longer considered for merit-based $$ if you're on the waitlist (but your numbers would show that you are in range)?

DeSilentio2728

Postby DeSilentio2728 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:34 pm

savagecheater wrote:
Doodsmack wrote:
jbrowning82 wrote:
Doodsmack wrote:Statuscheckerssuck and jbrowning: I hope American sees your comments and tells the other schools you have applied to.

Exactly what would be the negative if that happened? They'd find out I don't appreciate having my application handled in a dishonest fashion? Or they'd see that I'm glad to have the opportunity to enroll at Notre Dame with a half scholarship so that I'm not forced to be subject to ridiculous practices of American?

Hey man I wish you luck with the rest of your cycle. I'm fine with mine.

They'd see that you have a giant sense of entitlement.

Funny that savagecheat deleted his last post after seeing mine.

It's a practice that lacks integrity, that's all I will say.

100% Agreed! Perhaps, they should require an additional essay in the application or change up the PS requirements, so that they only get students who really care about attending. This really is a dishonest practice, but obviously they realize that a lot of high LSAT'ers are simply using American as an extreme safety. It sounds like Case Western calls applicants with high numbers before admitting them in order to gauge their interest, perhaps this should be implemented at American.

rtx10

Postby rtx10 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:36 pm

Waitlisted and withdrawn. Good luck!

changeitup

Postby changeitup » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:38 pm

Also waitlisted today. My numbers are well above their medians so it was definitely a shock. I'm not too upset though bc schools that are ranked better have accepted me with money. So I'll be withdrawing for sure. You win some and you lose some...

jlnoa0915

Postby jlnoa0915 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:40 pm

Sorry for all the W/L but seems like they made the right choice considering the reactions from some of you. Doesn't look like you would have went if accepted and would have held up a seat of someone who actually would have gone. Just my two cents.

Also on a more personal level; we're are all studying to be professionals and the reactions from some of you have shown nothing but the contrary. Your decision is your decision, either do a LOCI or withdraw, don't cry and moan like a bunch of children.
Last edited by jlnoa0915 on Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyh

Postby cyh » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:41 pm

American is ridiculous. On LSN, a long list of waitlisted auto-admits, while they accept applicants with 150's. Truly pathetic, if you ask me. :roll: :roll:

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:41 pm

Would have considered it with money. Not going to sit on another WL, though.

cyh

Postby cyh » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:42 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:Would have considered it with money. Not going to sit on another WL, though.

+1

Though it was a safety for me, I was truly considering it, otherwise I wouldn't have wasted the time or money to apply.

ongsar

Postby ongsar » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:43 pm

FunkyJD wrote:WL'd. Man, it's a massacre today.

add me to the slaughter, I guess..WL with 166/3.5.

I'll be withdrawing...I've already heard back from schools higher on my list, but I wanted to see how it shook out, :).

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:43 pm

cyh wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:Would have considered it with money. Not going to sit on another WL, though.

+1

Though it was a safety for me, I was truly considering it, otherwise I wouldn't have wasted the time or money to apply.

Exactly, I didn't even get a fee waiver from AU!

statuscheckerssuck

Postby statuscheckerssuck » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:44 pm

Doodsmack wrote:
jbrowning82 wrote:
Doodsmack wrote:Statuscheckerssuck and jbrowning: I hope American sees your comments and tells the other schools you have applied to.

Exactly what would be the negative if that happened? They'd find out I don't appreciate having my application handled in a dishonest fashion? Or they'd see that I'm glad to have the opportunity to enroll at Notre Dame with a half scholarship so that I'm not forced to be subject to ridiculous practices of American?

Whatever. They should at least make a better attempt at TRYING to hide their YPing. And actually, I was considering American, but this was before other schools actually got back to me in a timely manner without attempting to better their yield rate using what I consider to be a disgusting practice. If I was not interested in the school, I never would have applied. Thank you Doodsmack, for your well wishes. I am actually having a great cycle. :D

DeSilentio2728

Postby DeSilentio2728 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:45 pm

Obviously, they know which students they want to target, and which ones they do not. SORRY SUPER HIGH LSAT'ers, but you are not that wanted!

cyh

Postby cyh » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:46 pm

statuscheckerssuck wrote:
Doodsmack wrote:
jbrowning82 wrote:

Whatever. They should at least make a better attempt at TRYING to hide their YPing. And actually, I was considering American, but this was before other schools actually got back to me in a timely manner without attempting to better their yield rate using what I consider to be a disgusting practice. If I was not interested in the school, I never would have applied. Thank you Doodsmack, for your well wishes. I am actually having a great cycle. :D

Indeed, that is the most disgusting part of it all. How long you have to wait just for them to indulge in this ridiculous practice, all to find out you've been waitlisted.... with no shame at that. LSN = massacre right now! :shock:
Last edited by cyh on Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DeSilentio2728

Postby DeSilentio2728 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:46 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
cyh wrote:

+1

Then understand why you were WL and demonstrate your continued interest, as they certainly will eventually admit you. Otherwise stop your whining!

cyh

Postby cyh » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:48 pm

DeSilentio2728 wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
cyh wrote:

+1

Then understand why you were WL and demonstrate your continued interest, as they certainly will eventually admit you. Otherwise stop your whining!

withdrawn

thanks for the comment though :lol:
Last edited by cyh on Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cyh

Postby cyh » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:49 pm

DeSilentio2728 wrote:Obviously, they know which students they want to target, and which ones they do not. SORRY SUPER HIGH LSAT'ers, but you are not that wanted!

Would it be wrong for me to call this "NON-SUPER HIGH LSAT'er" (LOW LSAT'er) a hater? hmmm

jbrowning82

Postby jbrowning82 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:50 pm

Well I didn't want to get catty because this has nothing to do with other applicants, but since so many of you (apparently) enrolling at AU have decided to give us shit for voicing our legitimate concerns:

Have fun at the third best school in the city competing for jobs against grads from schools that don't NEED this yield protect garbage!

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:50 pm

Was I whining?

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:50 pm

DeSilentio2728 wrote:
Holly Golightly wrote:
cyh wrote:

+1

What's with the judgmental attitude?

statuscheckerssuck

Postby statuscheckerssuck » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:52 pm

cyh wrote:
DeSilentio2728 wrote:Obviously, they know which students they want to target, and which ones they do not. SORRY SUPER HIGH LSAT'ers, but you are not that wanted!

Would it be wrong for me to call this "NON-SUPER HIGH LSAT'er" (LOW LSAT'er) a hater? hmmm

+1

ongsar

Postby ongsar » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:53 pm

jlnoa0915 wrote:Sorry for all the W/L but seems like they made the right choice considering the reactions from some of you. Doesn't look like you would have went if accepted and would have held up a seat of someone who actually would have gone. Just my two cents.

Also on a more personal level; we're are all studying to be professionals and the reactions from some of you have shown nothing but the contrary. Your decision is your decision, either do a LOCI or withdraw, don't cry and moan like a bunch of children.

For the record, I absolutely would have considered attending. True, all things being equal, American wasn't my first choice, but had I not been accepted at other schools, or had American offered me scholarship money, I would have weighed the decision very carefully indeed. As it turns out, American has made the decision easy for me.

As for the "whining like children" comment, I have to admit that I don't like to see excessive moaning either. At the same time, it IS frustrating to hear from a school (that your numbers indicated as a safety school) and be told that you are waitlisted. If you cannot express your frustration (in appropriate moderation) on TLS, where can you?

DeSilentio2728

Postby DeSilentio2728 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:54 pm

cyh wrote:

I was admitted to American with a 163 four days after I sent the application. Only took it once without much study, but I was content with my score, and thus I had no desire to spend the additional time to study after in order to boost the score a second time around.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:55 pm

Yes, what a win. The swiss couldn't handle us. USA USA USA

jbrowning82

Postby jbrowning82 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:55 pm

DeSilentio2728 wrote:
cyh wrote:

I was admitted to American with a 163 four days after I sent the application. Only took it once without much study, but I was content with my score, and thus I had no desire to spend the additional time to study after in order to boost the score a second time around.

Well yeah I mean if youre gonna settle on a school like American no need to really strain yourself mentally.

cyh

Postby cyh » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:56 pm

DeSilentio2728 wrote:
cyh wrote:

thanks for broadcasting your score, and validating my point! :mrgreen:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”