American U

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
umterp08

Re: American U

Postby umterp08 » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:59 pm

I hope those charts are still true. It would stink to be the lone red dot in that range

roecyris

Postby roecyris » Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:10 pm

gdane5 wrote:Sorry about the rejection. Any reason why you think you were rejected? No softs? "Easy" major?

I'm patiently waiting on the waitlist. I know it's probably a nice way of rejecting me, but it keeps hope alive.

For anyone that isnt going to attend American PLEASE WITHDRAW. Give the hundreds of us on the waitlist some hope. haha.

T

I'd have to say it was my numbers. 158/3.35 isn't a strong case for American. My softs were pretty good in my mind: top honor internationally from my fraternity last year, head of several large student groups, worked at least 20 hours a week every year since high school. My PS wasn't so great, AU was one of my first applications and after reading the PS I tweeked the end to make it much stronger, so hopefully that helps at other schools.

Best of luck to the rest of you, I know we'll all end up where we want to be or else we'll all be here again next year (heaven forbid! lol).

mufyani

Postby mufyani » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:35 pm

I was definitely not expecting an admit with my 154 lsat and 3.25 gpa. Somehow I ended up on the waitlist. I'm not a URM (I'm also not white) but guess I had good softs and lors. Looking at these posts I don't think I'm going to be one of the top choices when they start looking at the waiting list (if that ever happens). Why didn't they just reject me?! I don't like the idea of a waiting list being a nice way to reject someone. Don't give me false hope!

BlueHeel

Postby BlueHeel » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:50 pm

mufyani wrote:I was definitely not expecting an admit with my 154 lsat and 3.25 gpa. Somehow I ended up on the waitlist. I'm not a URM (I'm also not white) but guess I had good softs and lors. Looking at these posts I don't think I'm going to be one of the top choices when they start looking at the waiting list (if that ever happens). Why didn't they just reject me?! I don't like the idea of a waiting list being a nice way to reject someone. Don't give me false hope!

Does anyone on this board have a historical understanding of a typical waitlist acceptance rate? LSN does not seem to be much help, and by their own Email they admit to "historically admitting" quite a bit of people from their waitlist, although this cycle seems to be anything but predictable.

mufyani

Postby mufyani » Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:53 pm

BlueHeel wrote:
mufyani wrote:I was definitely not expecting an admit with my 154 lsat and 3.25 gpa. Somehow I ended up on the waitlist. I'm not a URM (I'm also not white) but guess I had good softs and lors. Looking at these posts I don't think I'm going to be one of the top choices when they start looking at the waiting list (if that ever happens). Why didn't they just reject me?! I don't like the idea of a waiting list being a nice way to reject someone. Don't give me false hope!

Does anyone on this board have a historical understanding of a typical waitlist acceptance rate? LSN does not seem to be much help, and by their own Email they admit to "historically admitting" quite a bit of people from their waitlist, although this cycle seems to be anything but predictable.

That would be nice to know...

insertclevernamehere

Postby insertclevernamehere » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:05 pm

Kind of OT from the previous posts...

I just received an email from the PIPS Committee, saying they have received my application, didn't realize there was such a lag time -- I had been accepted almost a month ago...did anyone else have a similar experience?

holidayfromreal

Postby holidayfromreal » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:13 pm

insertclevernamehere wrote:Kind of OT from the previous posts...

I just received an email from the PIPS Committee, saying they have received my application, didn't realize there was such a lag time -- I had been accepted almost a month ago...did anyone else have a similar experience?

+1

Oban

Postby Oban » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:41 pm

I'm still at complete, submitted in October. American is one of 3 schools i've yet to hear from and one of those schools deferred me till March.

gdane

Postby gdane » Mon Feb 22, 2010 1:55 pm

I was also waitlisted at American. It gives me hope and keeps me going though. I was sure I would be rejected, but I got the waitlist news on Feb. 1st.

I'm tempted to call and ask questions regarding the waitlist, how many students are currently on it, how many they usually accept off of it, but I dont want to pester them. Ha! I dont want to piss off the people that are going to decide whether or not I get to attend the school.

I withdrew from another schools waitlist today to open up space for some other students. I hope that others will do the same for the people waitlisted at American.

DeSilentio2728

Postby DeSilentio2728 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:15 pm

DeSilentio2728 wrote:Wow, these guys are really efficient! Application sent 2/15, Complete 2/17, Decision Made 2/19. I feel as though I should be quite nervous, as this doesn't even seem like enough time to read my application. Numbers are 163, 3.2. Should I be nervous?

ACCEPTANCE ARRIVED 2/22 VIA USPS PRIORITY MAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GOOD LUCK TO EVERYONE ELSE STILL WAITING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ppjd

Postby ppjd » Mon Feb 22, 2010 6:25 pm

I received an email today about PIPS as well, double check your email because mine says PIPS scholarship application under review in the subject of the email and in the body it states that my application has been received by the selection committee for review. I understand this to mean that my app for the scholarship has been received by the review committee (not just the school) and it is currently under review. If yours says the same thing, hope this mean we will hear something soon. Best of luck!

MissMatch

Postby MissMatch » Mon Feb 22, 2010 11:48 pm

ppjd wrote:

I received an email today about PIPS as well, double check your email because mine says PIPS scholarship application under review in the subject of the email and in the body it states that my application has been received by the selection committee for review. I understand this to mean that my app for the scholarship has been received by the review committee (not just the school) and it is currently under review. If yours says the same thing, hope this mean we will hear something soon. Best of luck!

I received the same email as well today...I'm really hoping they finalize the decisions well before early to mid-April, that's a rough wait! Good luck to you all!

PitchO20

Postby PitchO20 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 11:46 am

When AU says its WL is 'unranked' does that mean they do not prioritize the WL applicants at all in order from most to least wanted?

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Feb 23, 2010 2:04 pm

Correct. So I guess everyone has a chance, which gives me a lot of hope. haha.

Matteliszt

Postby Matteliszt » Tue Feb 23, 2010 9:48 pm

Has anyone who applied for the JD/MBA program heard from Kogood(the business school?)

Bailarina08

Postby Bailarina08 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:21 am

I've been complete since 1/29. 3.38/167, strong softs, double major + minor... Should I be concerned that I haven't heard?

DeSilentio2728

Postby DeSilentio2728 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:26 am

Bailarina08 wrote:I've been complete since 1/29. 3.38/167, strong softs, double major + minor... Should I be concerned that I haven't heard?

It sounds like Yield Protection. I wonder if there is anyway to signal your interest in the school, or if doing so prior to being put on the waitlist is considered presumptuous?

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:29 am

More than likely yield protection.

Have you been accepted to other schools?

In any case I wouldnt worry too much. You'll hear from them in time.

statuscheckerssuck

Postby statuscheckerssuck » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:18 am

DeSilentio2728 wrote:
Bailarina08 wrote:I've been complete since 1/29. 3.38/167, strong softs, double major + minor... Should I be concerned that I haven't heard?

It sounds like Yield Protection. I wonder if there is anyway to signal your interest in the school, or if doing so prior to being put on the waitlist is considered presumptuous?

Sounds like OP is far too impatient. My app has been complete since mid November. Sit down, take a seat and get comfortable-- you are in for a wait.

mmiracle

Postby mmiracle » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:31 am

Mine was the quickest acceptance I received- less than two weeks after submitted online. and my credentials weren't amazing or standout at all... Guess that goes to show that there's no magic waittime, it varies totally!

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:36 pm

Yea, me too! It all took about 2 weeks. Credentials werent all that great (LSAT specifically), but they got it done quickly.

I was waitlisted though. Now that I think about it, maybe the waitlist was supposed to be a rejection...

Mardou

Postby Mardou » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:46 pm

So, is anyone planning on attending the Admitted Students Day on March 26th?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:12 pm

I will be withdrawing shortly.
Last edited by Holly Golightly on Wed Jul 28, 2010 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

savagecheater

Postby savagecheater » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:13 pm

Last edited by savagecheater on Sat Oct 23, 2010 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Doodsmack

Postby Doodsmack » Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:14 pm

WLed, 169/3.3.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”