American U

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ndirish2010

Re: American U

Postby ndirish2010 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:36 pm

statuscheckerssuck wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
monkeygirl wrote:Complete since early November (3.67/166)

American, what's going on?

I think both of us are getting WL (YP). I'm 3.66/168, complete since 1/4 but considering how many people have heard since then, that is my guess.

+1 on the YP. I have been complete since early November as well. See this is when YP backfires. I would have considered American had they gotten back to me earlier. Now that I have been wooed by much higher ranked schools (who actually give scholarship money), I am thinking I will probably just withdraw before they can waitlist me.

Yep, me too, I'm thinking of withdrawing very soon.

FunkyJD

Postby FunkyJD » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:52 pm

ndirish2010 wrote:

I think both of us are getting WL (YP). I'm 3.66/168, complete since 1/4 but considering how many people have heard since then, that is my guess.

+1 on the YP. I have been complete since early November as well. See this is when YP backfires. I would have considered American had they gotten back to me earlier. Now that I have been wooed by much higher ranked schools (who actually give scholarship money), I am thinking I will probably just withdraw before they can waitlist me.

I'd like to know why, per LSN, AU turned down a 174/3.2, but took a 164/2.36, non-URM (no offense and congrats to that person, but just wondering) ... and why only five of their (self-reported) admits are LSAT >/= 168.

http://american.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

I wouldn't blame you for steppin', if you had other things lined up.

Along these lines ... I wonder to what extent YP'ing is beneficial for schools. Is it really more valuable, rankings-wise, for schools to protect their yields in such a fashion, than it is for them to endeavor to raise their margins by attracting people with higher numbers by throwing cash at them?

Would IU-B be proof of the benefits of the latter strategy? Because it seems they are rising in the rankings a lot faster than WCL. Does IU-B practice YP? Is IU-B down with YP?

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:01 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:

I'd like to know why, per LSN, AU turned down a 174/3.2, but took a 164/3.26, non-URM (no offense and congrats to that person, but just wondering) ... and why only five of their (self-reported) admits are LSAT >/= 168.

http://american.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

I wouldn't blame you for steppin', if you had other things lined up.

Along these lines ... I wonder to what extent YP'ing is beneficial for schools. Is it really more valuable, rankings-wise, for schools to protect their yields in such a fashion, than it is for them to endeavor to raise their margins by attracting people with higher numbers by throwing cash at them?

Would IU-B be proof of the benefits of the latter strategy? Because it seems they are rising in the rankings a lot faster than WCL. Does IU-B practice YP? Is IU-B down with YP?

To an extent, admitting people around the 75ths and giving them money is a good way of raising your medians. But those well above one of the 75ths are not likely to come no matter what, so WL them is actually a good idea because it keeps admissions rates down and saves money for those who might actually attend. In my case, I applied to American when I had a 161 LSAT but my retake took me out of American's range, but I may have still considered them had they got back to me quickly. Now, they are basically out of the running and I am pretty sure I am getting the YP

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:13 pm

I would maybe consider them with money because their international program is supposed to be pretty fantastic, but it doesn't look like I'm going to have that option...

phoenix323

Postby phoenix323 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:10 pm

Admitted! :D I just checked the mail and got the big blue folder! This is my first acceptance so I am stoked.

Complete 1/29.

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting

PowerPro64

Postby PowerPro64 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:17 pm

In as of today also. Really quick turnaround. I submitted at the end of January and got my packet today.

caneman13

Postby caneman13 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:51 pm

just got my acceptance packet in the mail. Does anyone know whether American gives scholarship info in the packet? If so guess I didn't get any.

eandy

Postby eandy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:07 pm

So are people getting acceptance packets without their status changing from complete? I've been complete since 1/29 and I haven't heard anything. I know it hasn't been THAT long, but I am getting worried because other people who went complete later than I did have heard already.

um08

Postby um08 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:09 pm

eandy wrote:So are people getting acceptance packets without their status changing from complete? I've been complete since 1/29 and I haven't heard anything. I know it hasn't been THAT long, but I am getting worried because other people who went complete later than I did have heard already.

no that is just absurd. you can start worrying in about 3 months.

ndirish2010

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:10 pm

I finally gave up and withdrew today. Good luck everyone still waiting!

eandy

Postby eandy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:32 pm

"decision made" today. : )

mufyani

Postby mufyani » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:55 pm

Ughhh! Just made the waiting list. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve my chances?

ATOIsp07

Postby ATOIsp07 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:55 pm

mufyani wrote:Ughhh! Just made the waiting list. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve my chances?

send an LOCI (personalize it/express your interest in attending WCL)

smartblonde87

Postby smartblonde87 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:28 pm

tag
Last edited by smartblonde87 on Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wilkey10

Postby wilkey10 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:15 pm

Anyone know what the deal is with scholarship information?

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:09 pm

smartblonde87 wrote:
um08 wrote:
eandy wrote:So are people getting acceptance packets without their status changing from complete? I've been complete since 1/29 and I haven't heard anything. I know it hasn't been THAT long, but I am getting worried because other people who went complete later than I did have heard already.

I agree. Solely from looking at reply trends, they usually apply to really high LSATs first anyway to see if they have room for the rest of us. Don't fret. April will be here before you know it, and so will some decision letters!

LSAT welllllll above their median here, they've been ignoring me since the beginning of January. No love. :-(

smartblonde87

Postby smartblonde87 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:23 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote:
mufyani wrote:Ughhh! Just made the waiting list. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve my chances?

send an LOCI (personalize it/express your interest in attending WCL)

They prefer emailed LOCIs too, fyi. So don't waste your stamp!!! :)

smartblonde87

Postby smartblonde87 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:24 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
smartblonde87 wrote:
um08 wrote:

I agree. Solely from looking at reply trends, they usually apply to really high LSATs first anyway to see if they have room for the rest of us. Don't fret. April will be here before you know it, and so will some decision letters!

LSAT welllllll above their median here, they've been ignoring me since the beginning of January. No love. :-(

Be patient... and GOOD LUCK! I'm hopeful there's good news coming.

ATOIsp07

Postby ATOIsp07 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:54 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
smartblonde87 wrote:
um08 wrote:

Patience is a virtue, sweetie! Keep your head up! I know good news is coming your way.

Congrats on Minnesota, btw!

roecyris

Postby roecyris » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:16 am

I just got updated today (2/16) that a decision was made :-)

my numbers are 158/3.35 which is low end for LSAT and median for GPA according to US News ... Law School Numbers has me figured as a waitlist with slim chance of acceptance, but I'll be sure to let you guys know as soon as I know.

Anyone else get updated today??

EDITED to fix date :lol:
Last edited by roecyris on Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

lawlife2010

Postby lawlife2010 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:13 am

eandy wrote:"decision made" today. : )

+1.
i submitted mine a week or two ago and status changed to decision made. =)
Do they mail you the decision fairly quickly?

gatorlion

Postby gatorlion » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:23 am

roecyris wrote:I just got updated today (12/16) that a decision was made :-)

my numbers are 158/3.35 which is low end for LSAT and median for GPA according to US News ... Law School Numbers has me figured as a waitlist with slim chance of acceptance, but I'll be sure to let you guys know as soon as I know.

I was WLed with a 4.0/158 dood. LSP had me an auto-admit...

dvt0004

Postby dvt0004 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:16 am

lawlife2010 wrote:

+1.

You submitted in the begging of Feb. and already have a decision?

crm

Postby crm » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:17 am

dvt0004 wrote:
lawlife2010 wrote:

+1.

You submitted in the begging of Feb. and already have a decision?

I did in early January and it only took a week and half..they are pretty quick in some cases.

roecyris

Postby roecyris » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:01 am

gatorlion wrote:
roecyris wrote:I just got updated today (12/16) that a decision was made :-)

I was WLed with a 4.0/158 dood. LSP had me an auto-admit...

I think im just hoping not to be rejected off the bat, but then again bein WL'ed then rejected might suck more than just being rejected ... I'm just going to try and shut it out until I get the letter .... sigh.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”