American U

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2951
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: American U

Postby ndirish2010 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:36 pm

statuscheckerssuck wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
monkeygirl wrote:Complete since early November (3.67/166)

American, what's going on?


I think both of us are getting WL (YP). I'm 3.66/168, complete since 1/4 but considering how many people have heard since then, that is my guess.


+1 on the YP. I have been complete since early November as well. See this is when YP backfires. I would have considered American had they gotten back to me earlier. Now that I have been wooed by much higher ranked schools (who actually give scholarship money), I am thinking I will probably just withdraw before they can waitlist me.


Yep, me too, I'm thinking of withdrawing very soon.

User avatar
FunkyJD
Posts: 1039
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 3:38 pm

Re: American U

Postby FunkyJD » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:52 pm

statuscheckerssuck wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
monkeygirl wrote:Complete since early November (3.67/166)

American, what's going on?


I think both of us are getting WL (YP). I'm 3.66/168, complete since 1/4 but considering how many people have heard since then, that is my guess.


+1 on the YP. I have been complete since early November as well. See this is when YP backfires. I would have considered American had they gotten back to me earlier. Now that I have been wooed by much higher ranked schools (who actually give scholarship money), I am thinking I will probably just withdraw before they can waitlist me.


I'd like to know why, per LSN, AU turned down a 174/3.2, but took a 164/2.36, non-URM (no offense and congrats to that person, but just wondering) ... and why only five of their (self-reported) admits are LSAT >/= 168.

http://american.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

I wouldn't blame you for steppin', if you had other things lined up.

Along these lines ... I wonder to what extent YP'ing is beneficial for schools. Is it really more valuable, rankings-wise, for schools to protect their yields in such a fashion, than it is for them to endeavor to raise their margins by attracting people with higher numbers by throwing cash at them?

Would IU-B be proof of the benefits of the latter strategy? Because it seems they are rising in the rankings a lot faster than WCL. Does IU-B practice YP? Is IU-B down with YP?

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2951
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: American U

Postby ndirish2010 » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:01 pm

FunkyJD wrote:
statuscheckerssuck wrote:
ndirish2010 wrote:
monkeygirl wrote:Complete since early November (3.67/166)

American, what's going on?


I think both of us are getting WL (YP). I'm 3.66/168, complete since 1/4 but considering how many people have heard since then, that is my guess.


+1 on the YP. I have been complete since early November as well. See this is when YP backfires. I would have considered American had they gotten back to me earlier. Now that I have been wooed by much higher ranked schools (who actually give scholarship money), I am thinking I will probably just withdraw before they can waitlist me.


I'd like to know why, per LSN, AU turned down a 174/3.2, but took a 164/3.26, non-URM (no offense and congrats to that person, but just wondering) ... and why only five of their (self-reported) admits are LSAT >/= 168.

http://american.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats

I wouldn't blame you for steppin', if you had other things lined up.

Along these lines ... I wonder to what extent YP'ing is beneficial for schools. Is it really more valuable, rankings-wise, for schools to protect their yields in such a fashion, than it is for them to endeavor to raise their margins by attracting people with higher numbers by throwing cash at them?

Would IU-B be proof of the benefits of the latter strategy? Because it seems they are rising in the rankings a lot faster than WCL. Does IU-B practice YP? Is IU-B down with YP?


To an extent, admitting people around the 75ths and giving them money is a good way of raising your medians. But those well above one of the 75ths are not likely to come no matter what, so WL them is actually a good idea because it keeps admissions rates down and saves money for those who might actually attend. In my case, I applied to American when I had a 161 LSAT but my retake took me out of American's range, but I may have still considered them had they got back to me quickly. Now, they are basically out of the running and I am pretty sure I am getting the YP

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: American U

Postby Holly Golightly » Sat Feb 06, 2010 4:13 pm

I would maybe consider them with money because their international program is supposed to be pretty fantastic, but it doesn't look like I'm going to have that option...

User avatar
phoenix323
Posts: 348
Joined: Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:01 am

Re: American U

Postby phoenix323 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:10 pm

Admitted! :D I just checked the mail and got the big blue folder! This is my first acceptance so I am stoked.

Complete 1/29.

Good luck to everyone who is still waiting

User avatar
PowerPro64
Posts: 16
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 7:57 am

Re: American U

Postby PowerPro64 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:17 pm

In as of today also. Really quick turnaround. I submitted at the end of January and got my packet today.

caneman13
Posts: 54
Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 5:02 pm

Re: American U

Postby caneman13 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:51 pm

just got my acceptance packet in the mail. Does anyone know whether American gives scholarship info in the packet? If so guess I didn't get any.

User avatar
eandy
Posts: 2725
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: American U

Postby eandy » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:07 pm

So are people getting acceptance packets without their status changing from complete? I've been complete since 1/29 and I haven't heard anything. I know it hasn't been THAT long, but I am getting worried because other people who went complete later than I did have heard already.

User avatar
um08
Posts: 69
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 12:31 pm

Re: American U

Postby um08 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:09 pm

eandy wrote:So are people getting acceptance packets without their status changing from complete? I've been complete since 1/29 and I haven't heard anything. I know it hasn't been THAT long, but I am getting worried because other people who went complete later than I did have heard already.


no that is just absurd. you can start worrying in about 3 months.

User avatar
ndirish2010
Posts: 2951
Joined: Mon Dec 14, 2009 4:41 pm

Re: American U

Postby ndirish2010 » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:10 pm

I finally gave up and withdrew today. Good luck everyone still waiting!

User avatar
eandy
Posts: 2725
Joined: Wed Dec 23, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: American U

Postby eandy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:32 pm

"decision made" today. : )

mufyani
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:26 pm

Re: American U

Postby mufyani » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:55 pm

Ughhh! Just made the waiting list. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve my chances?

User avatar
ATOIsp07
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: American U

Postby ATOIsp07 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 1:55 pm

mufyani wrote:Ughhh! Just made the waiting list. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve my chances?


send an LOCI (personalize it/express your interest in attending WCL)

User avatar
smartblonde87
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: American U

Postby smartblonde87 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:28 pm

tag
Last edited by smartblonde87 on Wed Oct 26, 2016 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wilkey10
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 3:36 pm

Re: American U

Postby wilkey10 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:15 pm

Anyone know what the deal is with scholarship information?

User avatar
Holly Golightly
Posts: 4618
Joined: Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:30 am

Re: American U

Postby Holly Golightly » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:09 pm

smartblonde87 wrote:
um08 wrote:
eandy wrote:So are people getting acceptance packets without their status changing from complete? I've been complete since 1/29 and I haven't heard anything. I know it hasn't been THAT long, but I am getting worried because other people who went complete later than I did have heard already.


no that is just absurd. you can start worrying in about 3 months.


I agree. Solely from looking at reply trends, they usually apply to really high LSATs first anyway to see if they have room for the rest of us. Don't fret. April will be here before you know it, and so will some decision letters!



LSAT welllllll above their median here, they've been ignoring me since the beginning of January. No love. :-(

User avatar
smartblonde87
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: American U

Postby smartblonde87 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:23 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote:
mufyani wrote:Ughhh! Just made the waiting list. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve my chances?


send an LOCI (personalize it/express your interest in attending WCL)


They prefer emailed LOCIs too, fyi. So don't waste your stamp!!! :)

User avatar
smartblonde87
Posts: 359
Joined: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: American U

Postby smartblonde87 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:24 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
smartblonde87 wrote:
um08 wrote:
eandy wrote:So are people getting acceptance packets without their status changing from complete? I've been complete since 1/29 and I haven't heard anything. I know it hasn't been THAT long, but I am getting worried because other people who went complete later than I did have heard already.


no that is just absurd. you can start worrying in about 3 months.


I agree. Solely from looking at reply trends, they usually apply to really high LSATs first anyway to see if they have room for the rest of us. Don't fret. April will be here before you know it, and so will some decision letters!



LSAT welllllll above their median here, they've been ignoring me since the beginning of January. No love. :-(


Be patient... and GOOD LUCK! I'm hopeful there's good news coming.

User avatar
ATOIsp07
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:53 pm

Re: American U

Postby ATOIsp07 » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:54 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
smartblonde87 wrote:
um08 wrote:
eandy wrote:So are people getting acceptance packets without their status changing from complete? I've been complete since 1/29 and I haven't heard anything. I know it hasn't been THAT long, but I am getting worried because other people who went complete later than I did have heard already.


no that is just absurd. you can start worrying in about 3 months.


I agree. Solely from looking at reply trends, they usually apply to really high LSATs first anyway to see if they have room for the rest of us. Don't fret. April will be here before you know it, and so will some decision letters!



LSAT welllllll above their median here, they've been ignoring me since the beginning of January. No love. :-(



Patience is a virtue, sweetie! Keep your head up! I know good news is coming your way.

Congrats on Minnesota, btw!

roecyris
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:18 am

Re: American U

Postby roecyris » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:16 am

I just got updated today (2/16) that a decision was made :-)

my numbers are 158/3.35 which is low end for LSAT and median for GPA according to US News ... Law School Numbers has me figured as a waitlist with slim chance of acceptance, but I'll be sure to let you guys know as soon as I know.

Anyone else get updated today??


EDITED to fix date :lol:
Last edited by roecyris on Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

lawlife2010
Posts: 83
Joined: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:08 pm

Re: American U

Postby lawlife2010 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:13 am

eandy wrote:"decision made" today. : )

+1.
i submitted mine a week or two ago and status changed to decision made. =)
Do they mail you the decision fairly quickly?

User avatar
gatorlion
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:23 am

Re: American U

Postby gatorlion » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:23 am

roecyris wrote:I just got updated today (12/16) that a decision was made :-)

my numbers are 158/3.35 which is low end for LSAT and median for GPA according to US News ... Law School Numbers has me figured as a waitlist with slim chance of acceptance, but I'll be sure to let you guys know as soon as I know.

Anyone else get updated today??


I was WLed with a 4.0/158 dood. LSP had me an auto-admit...

dvt0004
Posts: 12
Joined: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:37 pm

Re: American U

Postby dvt0004 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:16 am

lawlife2010 wrote:
eandy wrote:"decision made" today. : )

+1.
i submitted mine a week or two ago and status changed to decision made. =)
Do they mail you the decision fairly quickly?


You submitted in the begging of Feb. and already have a decision?

crm
Posts: 282
Joined: Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:21 pm

Re: American U

Postby crm » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:17 am

dvt0004 wrote:
lawlife2010 wrote:
eandy wrote:"decision made" today. : )

+1.
i submitted mine a week or two ago and status changed to decision made. =)
Do they mail you the decision fairly quickly?


You submitted in the begging of Feb. and already have a decision?


I did in early January and it only took a week and half..they are pretty quick in some cases.

roecyris
Posts: 49
Joined: Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:18 am

Re: American U

Postby roecyris » Wed Feb 17, 2010 6:01 am

gatorlion wrote:
roecyris wrote:I just got updated today (12/16) that a decision was made :-)

my numbers are 158/3.35 which is low end for LSAT and median for GPA according to US News ... Law School Numbers has me figured as a waitlist with slim chance of acceptance, but I'll be sure to let you guys know as soon as I know.

Anyone else get updated today??


I was WLed with a 4.0/158 dood. LSP had me an auto-admit...



I think im just hoping not to be rejected off the bat, but then again bein WL'ed then rejected might suck more than just being rejected ... I'm just going to try and shut it out until I get the letter .... sigh.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google Adsense [Bot] and 6 guests