American U

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
RWZ202

Re: American U

Postby RWZ202 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:14 am

Can anyone answer this...I checked the WCL status checker and a "decision was made" on 1/19/10, however nothing was mailed to my house. I called American today and they gave me some generic response that if I don't get anything within 2 weeks, call them back, blah blah blah....I live 10 minutes outside of DC, I WOULD think that either an acceptance or rejection would not take one week to receive! I know everyone who was accepted so far on this forum got acceptance packages within 2-3 days....is this a good/bad sign.....has this happened to anyone?

Maybe it just means the rejection letter takes LONGER since it's not priority!

je_ne_regrette_rien

Postby je_ne_regrette_rien » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:55 am

Hi. I've been complete since early November and not UR. Should I call sometime to make sure they didn't lose my app.? haha

strawberryrush

Postby strawberryrush » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:20 am

I've been "Decision Made" since 1/15 and I still haven't received anything in the mail. I called yesterday and they gave me the same two weeks answer. So if I don't get anything by Friday I will call again, but I feel bad for making my parents stalk their mailbox at my permanent address.
As for whether it is a good or bad sign....well obviously I'm hoping for good! :D

Sarahnade48

Postby Sarahnade48 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:21 pm

eam829 wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:
FunkyJD wrote:
Sarahnade48 wrote:I'm from NYC and have been accepted to WCL. Can anyone tell me if WCL is considered a regional or a national law school? I am looking to find a job in NYC post-grad. Thanks!

I suppose it's possible, but hardly the optimal choice for your goals. Wouldn't Cardozo or BLS be a better fit within the same rankings ballpark? And WCL is not cheap. It would suck to pay $40k a year for a degree that might not get you back to NYC. Not that Cardozo or BLS are cheap, but at least those schools are in your desired market.

I just have a hard time believing that a school that's the fourth best option, at best (behind GULC, UVa, and GW), in its own market is going to do much for you in NYC. Maybe they place 16% in NY, NJ, and PA, but I'd sure want to see a more detailed breakdown than that before making a decision. What types of placements are those jobs? And what portion of that 16% is specifically in NYC? 10%? 1%?

Maybe peruse the directories of the firms or agencies you might want to work for, and sample to see how many of the attorneys there are WCL alum. Maybe also talk to attorneys and other legal professionals in the City to get a feeling for WCL's rep there. Good luck.

In DC, WCL's the 3rd best. this is not counting UVA because you can throw in ANY T14 school in any respective legal market and mess up/confuse the ranking of schools in doing so. We could say that GULC is the 3rd best option were we to throw in Harvard & Yale. Or we could say it's the 4th best if we keep Harvard and Yale and also throw in Northwestern. See where I'm going with this? To summarize on a school's ranking in an area as you have is quite disingenuous, to say the least.

I have a friend who graduated from WCL last year and decided to practice in NYC after. Though I don't know how well he did grade-wise at WCL, he basically urged me to go almost anywhere in NYC (Fordham, Cardozo, Brooklyn) instead of WCL if I wanted to work here after grad. He was jobless in NYC for most of last year and only recently settled in with a non BigLaw firm. He basically told me that even though Brooklyn is ranked lower, you'd probably have an easier time finding a job in NYC than if you were coming from American. Apparently he got into Fordham and chose American for a change of pace (he did his undergrad in NYC), but said now he seriously regrets it.

Like I said, I have no idea how well he did academically at WCL, but it's definitely food for thought if you intend to practice in NYC.

Thank you for all the feedback! After reading all of your posts, I definitely have some more to think about. Unfortunately, I was denied from Fordham and waitlisted at Cardozo, so American has slowly been making its way to the top of my list. I am still waiting to hear from BLS.

RWZ202

Postby RWZ202 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 2:53 pm

Thanks strawberry, at least I know I am not the only one waiting this long!

ATOIsp07

Postby ATOIsp07 » Tue Jan 26, 2010 4:43 pm

keep your head up, sarahnade....i'm sure things will work out for the best in your cycle. remember, this is TLS after all so some of us may be too hung up on rankings, numbers, etc. don't forget, what's most important in making a decision of this magnitude is to choose the school that a.) fits into your lifestyle and ambitions and b.) presents you with the most opportunities considering your personal/career interests.

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Tue Jan 26, 2010 6:30 pm

Dunno if anyone mentioned this earlier, but did you all see the piece on ATL on WCL's new logo? I used to do a lot of graphic design, and this thing is horrible.

Thunder Jones

Postby Thunder Jones » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:16 pm

I've been complete since 1/14. How long does it take to get to review at WCL?

crm

Postby crm » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:17 pm

Thunder Jones wrote:I've been complete since 1/14. How long does it take to get to review at WCL?

Kind of depends. I know some people have been waiting since November or so. I was lucky enough to where it only took about 2-2.5 weeks.

sirchristaylor

Postby sirchristaylor » Tue Jan 26, 2010 7:37 pm

I submitted a complete application on 11/1/09. I'm still waiting to hear from them.

SummerLaw

Postby SummerLaw » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:20 am

I've been complete since 12/15... zzzzzz

whatchootalkinbout

Postby whatchootalkinbout » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:42 am

Got the WL e-mail today.

goingoingone

Postby goingoingone » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:48 am

Wait list email today. 161/3.94. I'll probably withdraw. Good luck to everyone else.

Thunder Jones

Postby Thunder Jones » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:49 am

Just got waitlisted... 160/3.5

fj86

Postby fj86 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:51 am

whatchootalkinbout wrote:Got the WL e-mail today.

Same here. Anyone know what the chances are typically for WL students?

H. E. Pennypacker

Postby H. E. Pennypacker » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:52 am

traehekat wrote:Dunno if anyone mentioned this earlier, but did you all see the piece on ATL on WCL's new logo? I used to do a lot of graphic design, and this thing is horrible.

I just checked it out...yikes.

whatchootalkinbout

Postby whatchootalkinbout » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:54 am

H. E. Pennypacker wrote:
traehekat wrote:Dunno if anyone mentioned this earlier, but did you all see the piece on ATL on WCL's new logo? I used to do a lot of graphic design, and this thing is horrible.

I just checked it out...yikes.

I saw an article on it a few days ago. It really does resemble the crayon artwork of a second grader (and I promise my opinion is not at all affected by the WL e-mail they just sent me.) :)

ajmiller290

Postby ajmiller290 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:01 pm

In with 3.46 UGPA 164. Found out on January 18 and went complete on Dec. 30th.

sirchristaylor

Postby sirchristaylor » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:17 pm

Waitlisted, and very surprised by it (not to sound too cocky). No thanks, American. I'll be withdrawing ASAP.

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:30 pm

did anyone else get the email today about the admitted student events? I am thinking about going to the one in Orlando, since I will be in the area then, but I am wondering how worth it it would be if i am planning on visiting the school in March, any thoughts on it? Or is anyone else going to any of these events?

ATOIsp07

Postby ATOIsp07 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:39 pm

horriblegb wrote:did anyone else get the email today about the admitted student events? I am thinking about going to the one in Orlando, since I will be in the area then, but I am wondering how worth it it would be if i am planning on visiting the school in March, any thoughts on it? Or is anyone else going to any of these events?

Yea, I did. I'm going to the Boston Alumni event. I also want to visit in March (I believe that's the ASW) and go to the housing conference as well. Is the conference free of charge of "fee of charge"? LOL

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:43 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote:
horriblegb wrote:did anyone else get the email today about the admitted student events? I am thinking about going to the one in Orlando, since I will be in the area then, but I am wondering how worth it it would be if i am planning on visiting the school in March, any thoughts on it? Or is anyone else going to any of these events?

Yea, I did. I'm going to the Boston Alumni event. I also want to visit in March (I believe that's the ASW) and go to the housing conference as well. Is the conference free of charge of "fee of charge"? LOL

Haha I hope the first option! I think I will be visiting in March the week before the ASW unfortunately, just because of time constraints and the best time to visit other schools in the area

ATOIsp07

Postby ATOIsp07 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:44 pm

horriblegb wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:

Haha I hope the first option! I think I will be visiting in March the week before the ASW unfortunately, just because of time constraints and the best time to visit other schools in the area

word...what kinda law do you plan on going in, if i may ask?

horriblegb

Postby horriblegb » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:52 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote:
horriblegb wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:

word...what kinda law do you plan on going in, if i may ask?

Haha well unlike the majority here, I do not have the answer to that question, but hopefully I will quickly discover the answer! How about you?

ATOIsp07

Postby ATOIsp07 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 2:57 pm

horriblegb wrote:Haha well unlike the majority here, I do not have the answer to that question, but hopefully I will quickly discover the answer! How about you?

I'm more or less in the same boat...although I'm starting to lean towards public interest and/or becoming a judge...so are you pretty much sold on American or are you just being a tease?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”