American U Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
GatorsFTW

New

Re: American U

Post by GatorsFTW » Thu Dec 17, 2009 9:52 am

charlotte8 wrote:Yep, I'm a part time ED applicant.

Non-traditional (8 years out of undergrad), low 150s LSAT, 3.2gpa.

Not expecting an admit, so it would be amazing to get good news in the mail....

and like i said before, my status changed on Tuesday to "decision made".

yikes!

Question-- for anyone who did receive an acceptance from the status change date of 12/15, did you get an update in your "mailings" field?

my mailing field has not changed. i've only got the 11-16 app received email listed in there. i'm also curious to know if it changed for the admits.

bklyngreenlp

New

Post by bklyngreenlp » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:18 am

My status still states "Decision Made." However, in their acceptance package they provided a new log-in to their student portal. They gave us instructions for forms and other information posted there.

Also, I applied RD.

kickincane21

Bronze

Post by kickincane21 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:18 am

My status changed to decision sent or w/e on the 15th as well...I'm in FL, but out of town...anyone else in FL get a letter yet? Hoping it comes in today and my parents can call with results...got in to SDU yesterday but neither includes $$$ in offer which is a big factor.

sk08

New

Post by sk08 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:29 am

Accepted on 12/15 by priority mail envelope (I am in DC)

No update in Mailings; status changed on 12/15 to decision made.

163/3.5

Does anyone have good information on how "giving" American is w/ scholarship$? Not too many applicants from last year on LSN show $.
Last edited by sk08 on Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

charlotte8

New

Post by charlotte8 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:30 am

Yeah, I am guessing it's not good news, since I'm in Northern Virginia, and I haven't heard anything yet with decision made on 12/15. A priority mail envelope definitely would have gotten here by now!

sad.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sk08

New

Post by sk08 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:34 am

Charlotte08 - you never know!

It just said decision made on 12/15, my mailing weren't updated. So it's possible that decision made 12/15 doesn't equal decision mailed 12/15.

charlotte8

New

Post by charlotte8 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:37 am

Thanks for the positive outlook, sk08!

I appreciate it. We'll see if anything comes the next 2 days-- I am off to visit my family for christmas on Monday, so I really hope anything comes before then (even a rejection, just so I know!)

:)

GatorsFTW

New

Post by GatorsFTW » Thu Dec 17, 2009 12:38 pm

i just got off the phone with wcl, and they were incredibly vague. surprising, especially considering my diabolical suave routine. alas. from what i can tell, it hasn't taken an admit more than 2 days to receive a priority mail acceptance. given the 12-15 decision made status, i think it's going to be today or bust.

the lady simply said that "it depends" on how fast folks get their letters. she said it would be, at the earliest, the end of this week, and at the latest, sometime next week. if it's next week, it's certainly a rejection.

this is death by snail mail. i wish they'd just say congrats or stfu on the status checker.

ATOIsp07

Bronze

Post by ATOIsp07 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 3:41 pm

sk08 wrote:Accepted on 12/15 by priority mail envelope (I am in DC)

No update in Mailings; status changed on 12/15 to decision made.

163/3.5

Does anyone have good information on how "giving" American is w/ scholarship$? Not too many applicants from last year on LSN show $.

Howdy sk08!

just got admitted yesterday (12-16) but have been researching this school for the longest time. as far as financial aid, WCL is rather notorious for being stingy with grants, scholarships, etc. as a matter of fact, the majority of fin-aid is through loans. however, the school has a wonderful loan repayment assistance program (LRAP) for its graduating students striving to work in the public sector (this is based off research and speaking with current students). but, if it makes you feel any better, the campus vibe is incomparable and the students and quality of education is pretty impressive for a school sharing the state with g'town and GWU. and, furthermore, it's dc, a "lawyer's city"!

there is also a Public Interest Scholarship that they give out to 15 incoming kids each year...you could look into that if it tickles your fancy!

congrats and g'luck with the rest of your cycle!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TWoodWil

Bronze

Post by TWoodWil » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:22 pm

Acceptance package came in the mail today. Took two days to mail across country - I'm in Southern California.

In the folder they gave me two copies of the "Diversity Services" booklet. Took me a minute of reading through the second copy to realize they were identical.

ATOIsp07

Bronze

Post by ATOIsp07 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:24 pm

TWoodWil wrote:Acceptance package came in the mail today. Took two days to mail across country - I'm in Southern California.

In the folder they gave me two copies of the "Diversity Services" booklet. Took me a minute of reading through the second copy to realize they were identical.

are you leaning towards going? what are your other choices?

TWoodWil

Bronze

Post by TWoodWil » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:29 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote:
TWoodWil wrote:Acceptance package came in the mail today. Took two days to mail across country - I'm in Southern California.

I've got apps out to 33 schools (LSAC fee waiver and copious CRS waivers to boot), I've only heard back from three so far - Villanova, Santa Clara, and WCL. I've also been accepted to all three. I really want to work in the Federal government so any school in DC/Virginia automatically is stronger for me than a similarly ranked, or even slightly higher ranked, school in another region.

If I can pick up a bit of merit and/or financial aid beyond just loans, I'd go to WCL over all but a handful of the 33 schools I applied to. Of course if I get some monster financial aid from another school they'd surely go up quite a few notches in my list.

Stats, btw - 161/3.69/URM/Masters degree

SamSeaborn2016

Bronze

Post by SamSeaborn2016 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:33 pm

TWoodWil wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:

I've got apps out to 33 schools (LSAC fee waiver and copious CRS waivers to boot), I've only heard back from three so far - Villanova, Santa Clara, and WCL. I've also been accepted to all three. I really want to work in the Federal government so any school in DC/Virginia automatically is stronger for me than a similarly ranked, or even slightly higher ranked, school in another region.

If I can pick up a bit of merit and/or financial aid beyond just loans, I'd go to WCL over all but a handful of the 33 schools I applied to.

+1. I'm stoked about American.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

ATOIsp07

Bronze

Post by ATOIsp07 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:41 pm

SamSeaborn2016 wrote:
TWoodWil wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:

If I can pick up a bit of merit and/or financial aid beyond just loans, I'd go to WCL over all but a handful of the 33 schools I applied to.

+1. I'm stoked about American.
+2. American's legit and I really believe, in a few years' time, it's ranking is going to soar. Plus, where would be a cooler place to study int. law/public interest law?

TWoodWil wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:

If I can pick up a bit of merit and/or financial aid beyond just loans, I'd go to WCL over all but a handful of the 33 schools I applied to. Of course if I get some monster financial aid from another school they'd surely go up quite a few notches in my list.

The DC location does make American appealing. It's on the top of my list as of now (and it's also my 1st acceptance!).

33 schools? Wow! Nice start to your cycle.

TWoodWil

Bronze

Post by TWoodWil » Thu Dec 17, 2009 5:46 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote:+2. American's legit and I really believe, in a few years' time, it's ranking is going to soar. Plus, where would be a cooler place to study int. law/public interest law?
And don't forget the externship possibilities. To quote the insufferable Guy Fieri, "That's money!"

Also, I like that accepted students already have access to student email...though the email address are ugly.

horriblegb

Bronze

Post by horriblegb » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:05 pm

Well, nothing from American today, so I am guessing that means I am dinged, but good luck to everyone!

TWoodWil

Bronze

Post by TWoodWil » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:08 pm

horriblegb wrote:Well, nothing from American today, so I am guessing that means I am dinged, but good luck to everyone!
No news is just that - no news. It isn't necessarily bad news.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

horriblegb

Bronze

Post by horriblegb » Thu Dec 17, 2009 6:10 pm

TWoodWil wrote:
horriblegb wrote:Well, nothing from American today, so I am guessing that means I am dinged, but good luck to everyone!

Bah! In my land, it is very bad news! haha (but you are right, I am just stressed and therefore crazy)

edit:In yesterday, so I am just a crazy person, first school to hear from, I am glad I am going to law school!

anothernancydrew

Bronze

Post by anothernancydrew » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:11 pm

Finally in as of today, 12/19!

I live in the South, but I still can't believe that it took so long for the envelope to reach me--I was a wreck when it didn't show up in yesterday's mail.

SamSeaborn2016

Bronze

Post by SamSeaborn2016 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 7:32 pm

horriblegb wrote:
TWoodWil wrote:

Bah! In my land, it is very bad news! haha (but you are right, I am just stressed and therefore crazy)

edit:In yesterday, so I am just a crazy person, first school to hear from, I am glad I am going to law school!

Congrats! The first one is definitely special.

emtuoh

New

Post by emtuoh » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:08 pm

Should I be worried that I went complete on 10-23 and still haven't heard anything? My status checker still just says "application complete." It just seems like so many people have heard that applied way after me.

Why can't law schools just make a decision in the order applications were received? It would make LSN-browsing so much less stressful! :|

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

heraclitus

New

Post by heraclitus » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:25 pm

WCL 1L here. Just finished my first semester, but willing to answer some questions...shoot me some, and I'll try to answer them. =)

ATOIsp07

Bronze

Post by ATOIsp07 » Sat Dec 19, 2009 10:46 pm

heraclitus wrote:WCL 1L here. Just finished my first semester, but willing to answer some questions...shoot me some, and I'll try to answer them. =)
what's up heraclitus?

I wanted to know how legit are the career prospects for students looking to work in the public interest sector and also those pursuing judicial clerkships. how successful are students in landing those?

also, a more basic question, how does the housing situation work in terms of payment, tuition, etc.?

thanks, in advance!

heraclitus

New

Post by heraclitus » Sat Dec 19, 2009 11:34 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote:
heraclitus wrote:WCL 1L here. Just finished my first semester, but willing to answer some questions...shoot me some, and I'll try to answer them. =)
what's up heraclitus?

I wanted to know how legit are the career prospects for students looking to work in the public interest sector and also those pursuing judicial clerkships. how successful are students in landing those?

also, a more basic question, how does the housing situation work in terms of payment, tuition, etc.?

thanks, in advance!
WCL really pushes public interest work. But the truth is, the D.C. market is pretty screwed up right now. A lot of Biglaw firms are contracting, pushing once Biglaw hopefuls in G-town to scrap by what they can get, including a lot of PI work. Judicial clerkships are generally hard to get in D.C., usually requires top 10% and law review. Judges look highly on legal writing and research. In short, as for any law school i guess, is that if you place well in your school, top 15%, you can probably land just any job you want. OCI at our school is a nightmare right now, but many grads have been able to secure gov regulatory agency work and I know quite a few working for DA offices.
As for housing, WCL does not provide student housing. You are pretty much on your own securing housing. D.C. rent is absolutely terrible. If you live next to school, a one bedroom apt would prob cost $1200+. A lot of students live in MD and Northern VA and commute to school. While rent is def lower, commute maybe a hassle to some.
Hope that helps.

ATOIsp07

Bronze

Post by ATOIsp07 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:02 am

heraclitus wrote: As for housing, WCL does not provide student housing. You are pretty much on your own securing housing. D.C. rent is absolutely terrible. If you live next to school, a one bedroom apt would prob cost $1200+. A lot of students live in MD and Northern VA and commute to school. While rent is def lower, commute maybe a hassle to some.
Hope that helps.
Yeah, that's a minor issue for me. so, does the law school act like a middle-man in paying for housing (I pay school, school pays rent) or would I, and those I'm living with, have to pay straight up? Sorry for the rather dumb question but I'm new to having to pay rent, etc. while going to school. plus i'm from MA.

and how do the students you know that work cope with having with their schoolwork?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”