American U Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
jjinva

New

Re: American U

Post by jjinva » Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:55 pm

Ha, probably more like 500. And I'm #501 ;)

RonZesty

New

Post by RonZesty » Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:24 pm

fj86 wrote:Any chance that if you were wl'd you'd have a better chance of transferring in?
I was waitlisted at WCL when I applied last year. Didn't get off the waitlist and ended up going elsewhere. In the personal statement of my transfer application, I was candid about how it was always my goal to transfer to WCL. I think that the conventional wisdom is that your 1L numbers are all that really matter. However, if you have the same numbers as someone else who is trying to transfer into WCL and you've also demonstrated your dedication to the school, being waitlisted is a huge benefit. That being said, if your 1L numbers are notably worse than another transfer applicant who never applied to WCL, I'd wager that being waitlisted won't nudge you ahead of the other candidate.

My sympathies to everyone who is waitlisted at WCL this year. It truly is a frustrating experience, especially since WCL is notorious for their absurd waitlist numbers. My advice would be to use the experience as motivation. If I got into WCL last year, I would have gone and probably not worked nearly as hard as I worked this year. Best of luck to everyone.

LKing

New

Post by LKing » Tue Jul 20, 2010 3:32 pm

Hey fellow waitlisters -

Just checking to see if anyone has heard anything (good or bad)? Has anyone corresponded lately with their admissions counselor?

The summer is winding down! Not much time left...

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:44 pm

Good to see that so many of you are so hopeful, especially you LionKing.

While I'm disappointed that Im not going to AU (or law school) this year, I'm glad AU released me from the waitlist. I've been doing LSAT prep and thank the gods I'm doing better. Hopefully things work out and I can go next year.

Everyone on the wait list has a chance at this point, but it is getting late in the process. I would guess that they'll accept very, very, very few people from now until classes start. Im thinking less than 10 people. Remember that what the "higher" ranked schools do dictates what other ones do.

Good luck to everyone!

Not-A-Teabagger

New

Post by Not-A-Teabagger » Tue Jul 20, 2010 10:25 pm

gdane5 wrote:Good to see that so many of you are so hopeful, especially you LionKing.

While I'm disappointed that Im not going to AU (or law school) this year, I'm glad AU released me from the waitlist. I've been doing LSAT prep and thank the gods I'm doing better. Hopefully things work out and I can go next year.

Everyone on the wait list has a chance at this point, but it is getting late in the process. I would guess that they'll accept very, very, very few people from now until classes start. Im thinking less than 10 people. Remember that what the "higher" ranked schools do dictates what other ones do.

Good luck to everyone!
Yup, if you want in to American, then root for William & Mary or Washington & Lee to start opening the floodgates, as I would surely be heading in that direction. But as it is, I am very happy with American. Already have my apartment, and ready to make the move. GL waitlisters! And thanks to Gdane for being so gracious.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jjinva

New

Post by jjinva » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:43 pm

Still on the WL - no word yet. I guess my only hope is for classes to start and somebody not show up. Since I live in DC and will go PT or FT, maybe they will get desperate and call me up since I can show up in 20 minutes where other people might live elsewhere. Fingers crossed! ;)

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:51 pm

Haha! Well youre definitely lucky to be living right in DC. I always wondered what would happen if they called me up last minute. That wouldve been a bitch...

I know they have your address and all, but I would make it a point to specifically tell them that since youre already in DC you would be an appropriate candidate if they needed someone very late in the process. Something like "Im still very dedicated to WCL and I ask that I be considered if a spot in the fall 2010 class opens up right before classes start. My proximity to WCL would make it a very easy transition for me and I would not be frantically rushing to find a place to live, as many other waitlisted applicants would surely have to do at such a late stage in the process."

Just a thought.

Good luck!

LKing

New

Post by LKing » Thu Jul 22, 2010 3:01 pm

jjinva wrote:Still on the WL - no word yet. I guess my only hope is for classes to start and somebody not show up. Since I live in DC and will go PT or FT, maybe they will get desperate and call me up since I can show up in 20 minutes where other people might live elsewhere. Fingers crossed! ;)

I'm in DC too, jjinva. Let's hope we squeeze into this year's class! :D

fj86

New

Post by fj86 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:51 am

RonZesty wrote:
fj86 wrote:Any chance that if you were wl'd you'd have a better chance of transferring in?
I was waitlisted at WCL when I applied last year. Didn't get off the waitlist and ended up going elsewhere. In the personal statement of my transfer application, I was candid about how it was always my goal to transfer to WCL. I think that the conventional wisdom is that your 1L numbers are all that really matter. However, if you have the same numbers as someone else who is trying to transfer into WCL and you've also demonstrated your dedication to the school, being waitlisted is a huge benefit. That being said, if your 1L numbers are notably worse than another transfer applicant who never applied to WCL, I'd wager that being waitlisted won't nudge you ahead of the other candidate.

My sympathies to everyone who is waitlisted at WCL this year. It truly is a frustrating experience, especially since WCL is notorious for their absurd waitlist numbers. My advice would be to use the experience as motivation. If I got into WCL last year, I would have gone and probably not worked nearly as hard as I worked this year. Best of luck to everyone.
Thanks for that info. I've sent in another LOCI, and I'm hoping for a miracle at this point. I was rejected last year (weak LSAT), and waitlisted this year. To say it's a frustrating experience is an understatement, especially since this is the school I've wanted to go to from the very beginning, and I'm an alum.

Also considering sending another LOCI saying "PLEEEEEAAAAASEEEEEE LET ME INNNN". And good luck to the rest you guys who are still waiting here.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:44 pm

Oh wow FJ. You've been through this twice. I really feel for you. You never know what could happen.

jjinva

New

Post by jjinva » Mon Aug 02, 2010 2:21 pm

What's frustrating to me is that they don't do personal interviews. Why wouldn't they want to get a feel for the people that are applying to their school? I know, I know, some say its not fair to those that don't present themselves well and there are charges of favoritism. But isn't that what law school/lawyering really comes down to? Presenting yourself (your case) well and hoping the judge and jury like you better? ;)

fj86

New

Post by fj86 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:05 pm

gdane5 wrote:Oh wow FJ. You've been through this twice. I really feel for you. You never know what could happen.
Yes sir, I have. And, you're right, you never know what could happen, so I'll keep hoping for a miracle.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Mon Aug 02, 2010 4:44 pm

jjinva wrote:What's frustrating to me is that they don't do personal interviews. Why wouldn't they want to get a feel for the people that are applying to their school? I know, I know, some say its not fair to those that don't present themselves well and there are charges of favoritism. But isn't that what law school/lawyering really comes down to? Presenting yourself (your case) well and hoping the judge and jury like you better? ;)
I think the problem with this is that you can get very little from an interview. Of course someone can come off as intelligent, kind, thoughtful and professional, but its difficult to know whether that person is genuinely like that or if it was just an act put on during the inverview. Employers face this dilemma all the time. Hence, why schools go with LSAT scores and GPA. They give schools a "soild" way to evaluate their applicants.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

fj86

New

Post by fj86 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 3:43 pm

Got the email today. Officially over for now :( . Will definitely try to transfer in next year.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:45 pm

fj86 wrote:Got the email today. Officially over for now :( . Will definitely try to transfer in next year.
Eh, it happens. You move on and try your best with what you have. Work hard enough and you might find that you can transfer into GW or Georgetown.

In any case, good luck with your plans. Youre a trooper for having waited out this long.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”