American U Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
TWoodWil

Bronze

Re: American U

Post by TWoodWil » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:16 am

ATOIsp07 wrote:Yeah, that's a minor issue for me. so, does the law school act like a middle-man in paying for housing (I pay school, school pays rent) or would I, and those I'm living with, have to pay straight up? Sorry for the rather dumb question but I'm new to having to pay rent, etc. while going to school. plus i'm from MA.
It's worked into your cost of attendance. It is that sum on which your loans are based. For the ease of typing, let's assume WCL's Cost of Attendance - http://www.wcl.american.edu/finaid/cost.cfm

You take out a $31,395 in loans for the Fall semester. WCL gets their $20,703, and refunds the remainder to you. The balance is what you have for rent, books, food, etc. The trick, though, is the timing of the refunds. Until the school's financial office processes the loans and gives you the money, you've got nothing. So depending on their schedule, you may have to cover up to an initial month's costs rent/food/personal expenses on your own before you get refunded your money from the school.

heraclitus

New

Post by heraclitus » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:18 am

ATOIsp07 wrote:
heraclitus wrote: As for housing, WCL does not provide student housing. You are pretty much on your own securing housing. D.C. rent is absolutely terrible. If you live next to school, a one bedroom apt would prob cost $1200+. A lot of students live in MD and Northern VA and commute to school. While rent is def lower, commute maybe a hassle to some.
Hope that helps.
Yeah, that's a minor issue for me. so, does the law school act like a middle-man in paying for housing (I pay school, school pays rent) or would I, and those I'm living with, have to pay straight up? Sorry for the rather dumb question but I'm new to having to pay rent, etc. while going to school. plus i'm from MA.

and how do the students you know that work cope with having with their schoolwork?
I don't think the school helps u pay. I haven't heard anything about that from other students, so my guess is that you'll have to pay straight up. The poster above is probably right about the loan situation, but you should check with the financial aid office.
The PT program here is quite strong. I know a couple working on the hill and many doing IP work. Most say its a challenge, Evening classes typically start at 6 a go for two hours. Some days you might finish 10pm at night. So you prob slip in some study time at night and weekends. Its def challenging, but I think with good time managment (i've noticed student working are usually very good at handling their time) its def doable.

ATOIsp07

Bronze

Post by ATOIsp07 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:22 am

TWoodWil and heraclitus-thanks a bunch for your responses! I was worrying a bit but can breathe now...

TWoodWil-thanks for the link...clutch! however, would you say that the sooner you apply for finaid, etc. , the sooner your money gets refunded from the loans?

heraclitus-thanks for the insight. I'm actually admitted in the FT program but am considering working on the side. i don't know though. but i'm glad to hear that there are some workers at WCL!

TWoodWil

Bronze

Post by TWoodWil » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:29 am

ATOIsp07 wrote:TWoodWil and heraclitus-thanks a bunch for your responses! I was worrying a bit but can breathe now...

TWoodWil-thanks for the link...clutch! however, would you say that the sooner you apply for finaid, etc. , the sooner your money gets refunded from the loans?
No. All financial aid is released at the same time. I'm not exactly sure what the timeline is at WCL, but it's generally a few weeks before a semester starts (at least that's what it was for undergrad and my grad, as well as at the few law schools that clearly post that info on their sites). Then it's just up to the speed of their reimbursement process for getting your money back to you. The best, and definitive, source of information is WCL's Financial Aid Office.

ATOIsp07

Bronze

Post by ATOIsp07 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 12:42 am

TWoodWil wrote:
ATOIsp07 wrote:TWoodWil and heraclitus-thanks a bunch for your responses! I was worrying a bit but can breathe now...

No. All financial aid is released at the same time. I'm not exactly sure what the timeline is at WCL, but it's generally a few weeks before a semester starts (at least that's what it was for undergrad and my grad, as well as at the few law schools that clearly post that info on their sites). Then it's just up to the speed of their reimbursement process for getting your money back to you. The best, and definitive, source of information is WCL's Financial Aid Office.

wow...you're a wealth of information, simply put!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

champ33

Bronze

Post by champ33 » Sun Dec 20, 2009 1:14 am

Hey heraclitus.. I was admitted for the FT program at WCL for next fall, didn't receive any info about scholarships and could be likely that I won't. That said, I'm wondering as a current student at WCL in this economy, would you recommend attending there over some slightly lower ranked schools who have offered decent scholarships? (those include Northeastern, St. John's, both Rutgers, Penn State, Case Western, Depaul, a few others) I may have some family support but I'd guess my debt after 3 years at American sticker price would be around 90K to 100K. I really like the idea of attending American and going to school in D.C., but from your perspective as a student would you advise for the least debt possible right now? I'm mostly thinking I'd like to work for a non-profit or in a government agency, but I'm pretty open right now. Any feedback you or anybody else has would be great.

heraclitus

New

Post by heraclitus » Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:55 am

champ33 wrote:Hey heraclitus.. I was admitted for the FT program at WCL for next fall, didn't receive any info about scholarships and could be likely that I won't. That said, I'm wondering as a current student at WCL in this economy, would you recommend attending there over some slightly lower ranked schools who have offered decent scholarships? (those include Northeastern, St. John's, both Rutgers, Penn State, Case Western, Depaul, a few others) I may have some family support but I'd guess my debt after 3 years at American sticker price would be around 90K to 100K. I really like the idea of attending American and going to school in D.C., but from your perspective as a student would you advise for the least debt possible right now? I'm mostly thinking I'd like to work for a non-profit or in a government agency, but I'm pretty open right now. Any feedback you or anybody else has would be great.
Yeh, WCL is pretty stingy on financial aid. Would I recommend putting urself in 100k debt in this economy with no guarentee of a job, no. Would I recommend going to a lower ranked school even with a full ride, not that either. It really depends on how you analyze the risks involved. If you feel confident you can do well in law school, then investing 100k and going into a higher ranked school is probably worth it. In the end, it probably doesn't matter what school you attend. Sure, T-14 grads may get some law prestige, but employers don't really like employing grads placed outside top 30/40%. Either way, you have to work your ass off. Going non-profit would prob get you $40/50k a year. Depends on what government agency ur working for. While many grads would fight for this in the current economy, you'll probably want to aim for something better if ur putting yourself in 100k debt.

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:03 pm

Today is the last day we can hope for a decision before the holiday closure of the admissions office... I wonder if the knowledge that nothing will happen over the next few days with my application will make me more neurotic or less neurotic.

horriblegb

Bronze

Post by horriblegb » Tue Dec 22, 2009 1:05 pm

jmhendri wrote:Today is the last day we can hope for a decision before the holiday closure of the admissions office... I wonder if the knowledge that nothing will happen over the next few days with my application will make me more neurotic or less neurotic.
hopefully less, now you know that nothing will happen rather than wondering if something will. But then again, I don't think I will be happy until I hear from everyone!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

WMCowgirl

New

Post by WMCowgirl » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:09 pm

horriblegb wrote:
jmhendri wrote:Today is the last day we can hope for a decision before the holiday closure of the admissions office... I wonder if the knowledge that nothing will happen over the next few days with my application will make me more neurotic or less neurotic.
hopefully less, now you know that nothing will happen rather than wondering if something will. But then again, I don't think I will be happy until I hear from everyone!

I got the dreaded date change to 12/22 from 12/11, but my status still says "application complete." I guess that means no decision until at the very earliest next week. There website does says that they will be open after Christmas until December 31 and Jan. 1. So maybe it will come next week??

jmhendri

Silver

Post by jmhendri » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:11 pm

WMCowgirl wrote:
horriblegb wrote:

I got the dreaded date change to 12/22 from 12/11, but my status still says "application complete." I guess that means no decision until at the very earliest next week. There website does says that they will be open after Christmas until December 31 and Jan. 1. So maybe it will come next week??
Apparently, that's supposed to mean that there was a "system update." But I don't buy it. I think that means that they looked over our info and decided to hold off on a decision until after the holidays...

WMCowgirl

New

Post by WMCowgirl » Tue Dec 22, 2009 2:40 pm

Could be. I am in DC visiting my family for the holidays...with all the snow and ice I am suprised they even went in today. I am hoping for a decision next week. Seems that most people have one within 11 days of their original "application complete." Though, I applied RD...so I guess it could take longer. Oh well, I will try to not let it ruin the holidays :)

ATOIsp07

Bronze

Post by ATOIsp07 » Thu Dec 24, 2009 4:43 pm

WMCowgirl wrote:Could be. I am in DC visiting my family for the holidays...with all the snow and ice I am suprised they even went in today. I am hoping for a decision next week. Seems that most people have one within 11 days of their original "application complete." Though, I applied RD...so I guess it could take longer. Oh well, I will try to not let it ruin the holidays :)
will you be/are you in the area near American? is it your first choice?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

WMCowgirl

New

Post by WMCowgirl » Mon Dec 28, 2009 4:14 pm

ATOIsp07 wrote:
WMCowgirl wrote:Could be. I am in DC visiting my family for the holidays...with all the snow and ice I am suprised they even went in today. I am hoping for a decision next week. Seems that most people have one within 11 days of their original "application complete." Though, I applied RD...so I guess it could take longer. Oh well, I will try to not let it ruin the holidays :)
will you be/are you in the area near American? is it your first choice?

I am DYING to be in DC--my fiance is graduating from William and Mary Law in May and will be working for a firm in DC. American is definitely in my top 2. I am just hoping for some good news :)

anothernancydrew

Bronze

Post by anothernancydrew » Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:52 pm

I wouldn't let the wait get to you too much--I went complete on 11/19 and didn't get my big envelope until 12/19 (decision made on the status checker on 12/15); so it can very well take more than the 11 days. Good luck!

sirchristaylor

Bronze

Post by sirchristaylor » Mon Dec 28, 2009 7:01 pm

anothernancydrew wrote:
I wouldn't let the wait get to you too much--I went complete on 11/19 and didn't get my big envelope until 12/19 (decision made on the status checker on 12/15); so it can very well take more than the 11 days. Good luck!
I applied on 11/1, went complete on 11/23, and still haven't heard anything...and I think my chances are good. The wait for a yes/no is terrible! Oh well, happy holidays!

teqniqal

New

Post by teqniqal » Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:07 pm

WCL sent me an acceptance letter on the 21st of December.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

WMCowgirl

New

Post by WMCowgirl » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:14 pm

Just out of curiosity, how long is it taking people who applied RD to hear back once their application is complete? I am dying to get some good news from WCL

umichgrad

Bronze

Post by umichgrad » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:38 pm

i've been complete since the end of October, and not a peep from WCL.

i'm nearly auto-admit, perhaps its pending YP? I really like american and im desperate to hear something.

vapourgypsy

New

Post by vapourgypsy » Wed Dec 30, 2009 5:39 pm

umichgrad wrote:i've been complete since the end of October, and not a peep from WCL.

i'm nearly auto-admit, perhaps its pending YP? I really like american and im desperate to hear something.
This. My status checker has changed the date once (11/9) but then nothing.

It seems they go quickest with those people who are right in their range. My numbers are high for them and they seem to YP quite a bit. Annoying, because I really like it there.

emtuoh

New

Post by emtuoh » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:06 am

To those talking about YP, what are your numbers?

I also applied mid-October and haven't heard anything. I really doubt I am YP material, but also thought I had a good chance of getting in based on LSN.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

WMCowgirl

New

Post by WMCowgirl » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:41 pm

vapourgypsy wrote:
umichgrad wrote:i've been complete since the end of October, and not a peep from WCL.

This. My status checker has changed the date once (11/9) but then nothing.

It seems they go quickest with those people who are right in their range. My numbers are high for them and they seem to YP quite a bit. Annoying, because I really like it there.

I wish they went quick for people in their range!! My GPA is in the 75% (3.65) but my LSAT is in the 25% (158). I am DYING for some news, but still nothing. I went complete on 12/11 and then "again" on 12/22.

mes2010

New

Post by mes2010 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:43 pm

went complete 11/10... then updated to 11/23.

hearing nothing is making me think it's eventually going to be rejection/waitlist.

WMCowgirl

New

Post by WMCowgirl » Mon Jan 04, 2010 2:58 pm

mes2010 wrote:went complete 11/10... then updated to 11/23.

hearing nothing is making me think it's eventually going to be rejection/waitlist.
If you dont' mind me asking...what are you stats?

mes2010

New

Post by mes2010 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 3:04 pm

160... 3.25 (3.3 this semester)

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”