American U Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
dreaming

Bronze

Re: American U

Post by dreaming » Tue Apr 06, 2010 4:47 pm

lstwin wrote:
Bert wrote:AU doesn't seem to negotiate scholarships. I wrote them about scholarships I received at peer schools and they didn't budge -- just politely told me that they were not going to play.
I did the same thing, and I got the same response.

ditto. but i also called (after emailing them and them saying no) and they told me that some extra scholarships would be going out this week, but they didn't know who would get them yet...

cruzgator

New

Post by cruzgator » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:40 am

gdane5 wrote:Mr/s Cruzgator:

If you dont plan on attending or dont feel like its worth it to stay on the WL, then please withdraw. I, as well as many others, are dying to be accepted off the waitlist. Who knows whats gonna happen? I know there are tons of WL'd people with wayy better numbers than me, but I still hope something positive can happen.

I never said I wasn’t interested. In fact I will probably accept if I get off the WL. But if you’re luke warm about Penn State I suggest you withdraw because I am on the WL there as well and would love to get in. Thanks

WithGrace23

New

Post by WithGrace23 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 11:05 am

Does anyone know if we will get financial aid/scholarship packages before the seat deposit deadline. (I was accepted about a week ago, and still no word on financial aid), or should I assume that there is no aid?

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:46 pm

Im in at Penn State and I already withdrew. Im fully comitted to AU and studying in the DC area. If I dont get in off the waitlist, then there is always next year. No biggie.

Good luck though with your stuff. let us know what happens.

cruzgator

New

Post by cruzgator » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:07 pm

Thanks, i will keep everyone posted. Good luck to you as well.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jjinva

New

Post by jjinva » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:11 pm

I'm guessing their WL is huge. I opened my file up to P/T and still haven't heard anything. I hoped being WL'd for full-time might have given me a better chance at part-time acceptance.

Its funny how this stuff can change your life. If I could get AU or GW (pt) to come on board, my life wouldn't change much at all since I live in Arlington. Then part of me thinks if I don't pack up and move to L.A. now, I never will, and that seems like such a cool experience.

rockstar4488

Bronze

Post by rockstar4488 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:43 am

Applied 3/31, WL 4/7. 170, 3.01. I am hoping for a part time spot, as I work during the day.

rockstar4488

Bronze

Post by rockstar4488 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:58 am

Sending a LOCI affirming that AU is my top choice and that I will accept if an offer is made. Ah, this whole thing is quite stressful.

DeSilentio2728

Bronze

Post by DeSilentio2728 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:59 am

rockstar4488 wrote:Sending a LOCI affirming that AU is my top choice and that I will accept if an offer is made. Ah, this whole thing is quite stressful.
You'll easily get in with a good LOCI. American is notorious for YP.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Bailarina08

New

Post by Bailarina08 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:33 am

Removed just in case...
Last edited by Bailarina08 on Wed Apr 14, 2010 10:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

DeSilentio2728

Bronze

Post by DeSilentio2728 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:40 am

Bailarina08 wrote:My job makes it impossible to go during the week, so I took a self-guided tour on a weekend. I'm trying to fit that into my follow-up LOCI. Does anyone want to tell me if this sounds alright?

"I recently took the self-guided tour while visiting a close friend in the area. I was thoroughly impressed by the resources available to students, and by the facility itself. Even more impressive to me was the fact that the students there on Saturday, March 27th seemed happy, animated, and intelligent. I hope to become one such student, fully invested in my studies and in the law school community.

I was originally drawn to the school because of the International Law curriculum and clinic opportunities; my visit has only reinforced my sense that the WCL is the best school for me. Although I'm fortunate enough to have offers from other schools, the WCL remains at the top of my list, and I would not hesitate to accept an offer of admission."

I just don't know how to talk about it when I don't have the context of a class experience to frame it in. Anyone have advice?
Sounds great, with your numbers you are a definite accept off of the WL. As you know, they are notorious for YP, so I imagine that all you need to do is emphatically state your desire to attend WCL next year.

Bert

Bronze

Post by Bert » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:49 am

dreaming wrote:ditto. but i also called (after emailing them and them saying no) and they told me that some extra scholarships would be going out this week, but they didn't know who would get them yet...
I may have to call then. If I got some scholly $ it would definitely make AU the most attractive offer. Something about spending $180K turns me off to AU when I could be getting a similar education for $125K elsewhere. Either way, its a ton of beans.

SamSeaborn2016

Bronze

Post by SamSeaborn2016 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:06 pm

Sending in my 2nd withdrawal from American today. I keep getting info updates and I got a seat deposit deadline reminder so something tells me they didn't register my first withdrawal.

The school seems great and the people are awesome but I just can't rationalize the cost against my other offers.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jimicornerstone

New

Post by jimicornerstone » Fri Apr 09, 2010 3:17 pm

Withdrew today. Who wants it?

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Fri Apr 09, 2010 7:51 pm

If only it could work that way...

Bailarina08

New

Post by Bailarina08 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:13 pm

DeSilentio2728 wrote: Sounds great, with your numbers you are a definite accept off of the WL. As you know, they are notorious for YP, so I imagine that all you need to do is emphatically state your desire to attend WCL next year.
I hope! I don't know how to state it any more emphatically, especially since they specify that one shouldn't contact them more than once a month or send in other materials. Otherwise I would have been all over that.

Snowdrifter

New

Post by Snowdrifter » Fri Apr 09, 2010 11:56 pm

I'm pretty sure if they allowed that, gdane5 would have already sent in so many letters, his is the only name they'd be able to see. ;)

Just kidding with you, dane. Your enthusiasm is admirable.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

carolinamoonie88

New

Post by carolinamoonie88 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:01 pm

Waitlisted too. GUHHHHH.

jjinva

New

Post by jjinva » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:13 pm

Does anyone fully understand what an unranked waitlist really means? I don't see how it exists. Everyone that I encounter at AU is super friendly, but I don't want to ask them to clarify what it means, if its really simple and I come across as stupid, haha.

They say that the waitlist isn't ranked. I call hogwash...I mean....if you have two candidates on the WL, one with 160/3.5 and the other 159/3.2, you take the higher numbers, right? Thats what I mean by "ranking"....

What could unranked mean??

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:25 pm

Unranked means that the school picks whomever it wants. They go through apps, maybe reread personal statements and LOCI's and make a decision off of that. Ultimately, every school wants to raise their LSAT/GPA median, so AU will take higher numbered people, but its at their discretion.

I personally believe an unranked waiting list is better than a ranked on. On an unranked list all it takes is one. There is no one in front of you. You can be picked at anytime. Whereas a ranked list you'll have people in front of you more than likely so it doesnt take one anymore, now it takes lets say 20. By it takes 20 I means that the school has to go through those 20 people before they get to you.

Good luck!

jjinva

New

Post by jjinva » Mon Apr 12, 2010 3:37 pm

gdane5 wrote:Unranked means that the school picks whomever it wants. They go through apps, maybe reread personal statements and LOCI's and make a decision off of that. Ultimately, every school wants to raise their LSAT/GPA median, so AU will take higher numbered people, but its at their discretion.

I personally believe an unranked waiting list is better than a ranked on. On an unranked list all it takes is one. There is no one in front of you. You can be picked at anytime. Whereas a ranked list you'll have people in front of you more than likely so it doesnt take one anymore, now it takes lets say 20. By it takes 20 I means that the school has to go through those 20 people before they get to you.

Good luck!
Right, but wouldn't it be kidding yourself to think, in reality, that your situation or background is really going to make up for worse numbers than someone else also on the list? It would be GREAT if the waitlist is truly a holistic experience....but my gut tells me I'd rather them go through the list of people with better numbers, let them decline, then get to me, in some sort of orderly fasion. Give my rank on the list so I can sleep ;)

Oh well, as my mother would say, people in hell want icewater. Doesn't matter what I want, haha.

Thanks for clarifying that for me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Bailarina08

New

Post by Bailarina08 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:00 pm

Oh no! I just sent a follow up LOCI and instead of subject line "Waiting list update" I wrote "Waiting update." Should I send a quick follow up clarifying or just leave it be? Do you think it will really matter?

DeSilentio2728

Bronze

Post by DeSilentio2728 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:03 pm

Bailarina08 wrote:Oh no! I just sent a follow up LOCI and instead of subject line "Waiting list update" I wrote "Waiting update." Should I send a quick follow up clarifying or just leave it be? Do you think it will really matter?
Just resend the entire message again with the new subject line instead of the old one. Do not state that you had made a mistake. They will just take the new one, or add both.

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:08 pm

Wow, you take this really seriously!

My last subject line read "Another LOCI for you Sarah. Enjoy! " No joke.

Bailarina08

New

Post by Bailarina08 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 4:18 pm

Wow. I must be really bad if you're telling me I take this too seriously.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”