In at Denver

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
CE2JD
Posts: 929
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 8:33 pm

Re: In at Denver

Postby CE2JD » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:24 pm

pattymac wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXiRrtU1WfI


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eyQbbha ... re=related

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: In at Denver

Postby Matthies » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:26 pm

CE2JD wrote:
pattymac wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXiRrtU1WfI


http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5eyQbbha ... re=related


Those guys are too slow to drink with me.

User avatar
Threepeat
Posts: 202
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: In at Denver

Postby Threepeat » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:44 pm

Matthies wrote:So are any of you seriously considering Denver, or is it too early in the cycle for people to make those kind of decsions.

For those of you that don't live here the past week has been crazy cold like 15 degrees high, -6 low for like four days. THAT IS NOT NORMAL for Denver AT ALL. That was just a crazy cold spell, most winter days are 40s and 50s and not a cloud in the sky. It was living in North Daktoa though the past few days.



I'm considering Denver although without any financial help I'll be honest and say it won't be a serious consideration (In at UGA, and I can claim in-state residency there after the first year). I really would like to end up in CO though. I'm pretty much in love with Denver and CO in general, but I definitely could not afford that $35k/year price tag.

I'm from the Midwest, so I'm no stranger to the cold. I actually would enjoy being in a state where there are great activities to do during the winter time (My state is flat and depressing during the winter to say the least).


Edit: I think the kind people at the admissions office stalked me as I wrote this. The moment I hit send, I received an email from them offering me a 17k/year scholly....haha I guess NOW it is a more serious consideration.

User avatar
KmissP
Posts: 158
Joined: Tue Oct 13, 2009 10:16 am

Re: In at Denver

Postby KmissP » Fri Dec 11, 2009 2:51 pm

Threepeat wrote:

I'm considering Denver although without any financial help I'll be honest and say it won't be a serious consideration (In at UGA, and I can claim in-state residency there after the first year). I really would like to end up in CO though. I'm pretty much in love with Denver and CO in general, but I definitely could not afford that $35k/year price tag.



Based on the reports on LSN, your numbers appear high enough to get some scholarship money, hopefully enough to make it competitive with the other schools you're looking at.

I feel pretty lucky to live here, most days.

Scurredsitless1
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: In at Denver

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:13 pm

Well, I just got a email offering 17k a year, that's a gamechanger.... Denver is looking much more attractive

User avatar
Threepeat
Posts: 202
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: In at Denver

Postby Threepeat » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:21 pm

Scurredsitless1 wrote:Well, I just got a email offering 17k a year, that's a gamechanger.... Denver is looking much more attractive


Congrats! Denver has been good to us today.

Scurredsitless1
Posts: 284
Joined: Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:47 pm

Re: In at Denver

Postby Scurredsitless1 » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:27 pm

Threepeat wrote:
Scurredsitless1 wrote:Well, I just got a email offering 17k a year, that's a gamechanger.... Denver is looking much more attractive


Congrats! Denver has been good to us today.



Yeah man! It sure has made my day! I love the denver area. I thought when I applied, it was a pipedream, because even if I got in, it was too expensive... But I'm going to have to go visit now as it will be a serious contender

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: In at Denver

Postby Matthies » Fri Dec 11, 2009 3:57 pm

Congrats on the scholoy guys, that great, I think that makes it about the same price as CU instate. Pretty good deal for DU. You can also up that money with named/endowed scholorships after the first year based on grades, accomplishments, intrests, background ect. There are TONS of extra scholorhips other than just the one syou get when you start, you just have to apply for them.

They have outisde scholorships for incoming sudents you can apply for, see the list here: http://www.law.du.edu/index.php/financi ... holarships

Then they have the Chancolors Scholorship you can apply for: http://www.law.du.edu/index.php/financi ... cholarship

For 2L and 3L years there are even more scholorships: http://www.law.du.edu/index.php/financi ... holarships

The outside scholorships http://www.law.du.edu/index.php/financi ... holarships

These are all ON TOP of the scholorship you get from the school.

As to working in CO or Denver, then go to school here, its a very hard market to crack from the outside, they are very concerned with connections to CO, even if you go to school here, if your from out of state, expect at least a few questions about how seriouse you are about staying.

dewrober
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:24 pm

Re: In at Denver

Postby dewrober » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:02 pm

Is it possible to get scholarship money for the PT program?

User avatar
riburn3
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:56 am

Re: In at Denver

Postby riburn3 » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:47 pm

dewrober wrote:Is it possible to get scholarship money for the PT program?


Yes, I applied PT and got 16,500 for all four years with the same 3.0 requirement that comes with all scholarships. It's basically the same as the 22,000 scholarship FT people get.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: In at Denver

Postby Matthies » Tue Dec 15, 2009 8:40 am

riburn3 wrote:
dewrober wrote:Is it possible to get scholarship money for the PT program?


Yes, I applied PT and got 16,500 for all four years with the same 3.0 requirement that comes with all scholarships. It's basically the same as the 22,000 scholarship FT people get.


WOW nice, this must be something new, becuase when I was PT I never heard of scholorships close to that high, thats GREAT. Congrats!

User avatar
riburn3
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:56 am

Re: In at Denver

Postby riburn3 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:50 am

Matthies wrote:
riburn3 wrote:
dewrober wrote:Is it possible to get scholarship money for the PT program?


Yes, I applied PT and got 16,500 for all four years with the same 3.0 requirement that comes with all scholarships. It's basically the same as the 22,000 scholarship FT people get.


WOW nice, this must be something new, becuase when I was PT I never heard of scholorships close to that high, thats GREAT. Congrats!



Thanks!!!

I think part of it is since they now include PT numbers into overall ranking with each applicant being the same no matter the program, they are trying to attract people with better numbers to PT. My numbers are very good for the FT program, so I'm sure that's why I got a scholarship that all the FT seem to have gotten thus far. Still though, according to LSAC, about 19% of people in the PT program last year got scholarships/grants and the median grant was 7500. Only 2.5% of people got half to full tuition. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised with my scholarship offer when they sent it to me.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: In at Denver

Postby Matthies » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:37 am

riburn3 wrote:
Matthies wrote:
riburn3 wrote:
dewrober wrote:Is it possible to get scholarship money for the PT program?


Yes, I applied PT and got 16,500 for all four years with the same 3.0 requirement that comes with all scholarships. It's basically the same as the 22,000 scholarship FT people get.


WOW nice, this must be something new, becuase when I was PT I never heard of scholorships close to that high, thats GREAT. Congrats!



Thanks!!!

I think part of it is since they now include PT numbers into overall ranking with each applicant being the same no matter the program, they are trying to attract people with better numbers to PT. My numbers are very good for the FT program, so I'm sure that's why I got a scholarship that all the FT seem to have gotten thus far. Still though, according to LSAC, about 19% of people in the PT program last year got scholarships/grants and the median grant was 7500. Only 2.5% of people got half to full tuition. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised with my scholarship offer when they sent it to me.


I think you’re probably right about why they are offering more money to PT now. Although when my class started PT (fall of 2005) we had several 170+ scorers in our class, more in the PT than the FT. Its just the nature of the PT program, those that need to go PT and need to stay in Denver are going to go to DU even if they get a 180 because they have no other choice for part-time in the state.

Are you working or plan to work during LS? I wonder if they are targeting people with money who may not be working or only work PT, and not targeting in town folks who it’s obvious are going to continue to work (because they live in Denver and their resume indicate they have had the same job for a while). Just curious how they are using the money to attract folks, given the majority of PTers are a “captive” market anyway, since there is no other PT program in the city, much less the state.

Interesting example, one of my classmates, a very well know MD gave up both a job teaching at Yale med school and a seat at Yale Law because his family really wanted to stay in Denver. The guy was a freaking genius too, never even look at a LSAT, took it cold got a 176 and was #1 in his med school class, and a super nice guy. Needless to say, as soon as I had a choice I never took classes he was in again, too hard to get top grade with that guy competing against you! :)

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: In at Denver

Postby Matthies » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:38 am

BTW let me know if you guys have any questions about DU. I'll answer what I can.

User avatar
riburn3
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:56 am

Re: In at Denver

Postby riburn3 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 10:49 am

Yeah, I plan on working full-time during law school, which is why I applied PT. I made sure to make that very clear in my admissions packet. I am from out of town, but Denver is one of my favorite cities, where I have spent lots of time, have lots of family in the area, and actually have two family members that are DU Law alums. As a nurse, finding employment will be easy, which is why a plan on working FT wherever I end up attending.

I do have a question about Denver's class offerings. I am mainly interested in health law and am curious if you know anything about this specialty at DU. I have noticed that there is a health law student group, but I have had a harder time finding information on specific classes. Thanks.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: In at Denver

Postby Matthies » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:15 am

riburn3 wrote:Yeah, I plan on working full-time during law school, which is why I applied PT. I made sure to make that very clear in my admissions packet. I am from out of town, but Denver is one of my favorite cities, where I have spent lots of time, have lots of family in the area, and actually have two family members that are DU Law alums. As a nurse, finding employment will be easy, which is why a plan on working FT wherever I end up attending.

I do have a question about Denver's class offerings. I am mainly interested in health law and am curious if you know anything about this specialty at DU. I have noticed that there is a health law student group, but I have had a harder time finding information on specific classes. Thanks.


I don't actually know anything about health law at DU, it was the poloar opposite of what I was into, and I faint at the sight of blood or needles, so I never paid attention to it much. But here are the last couple years class scheduals you can look on there to see if there are any health law type classes. The offer diffrent classes each semster, so you may not see the same classes every sesmter. http://www.law.du.edu/index.php/registr ... -schedules

Also if you find a prof that teaches a class you like in health law, or the bio of a prof who teachesit I encourage you to e-mail them. (check adjuncts as well as tenured profs, as health law being a sub specialty most likley taught by an adjuct who actually does that stuff for a living) Let them know your a prospetcive student, that your intrested in health law at DU and see what they say. DU profs are VERY approachable, and I am sure they will be glad to chat with you. There are also sevral health law student writing compeations you can enter (not DU specfific) and DU has a prof who advises students who want to eneter wrting compataions and can help structure, edit and plan your essay. http://www.law.du.edu/forms/writing-com ... ns/#Health Law

User avatar
riburn3
Posts: 88
Joined: Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:56 am

Re: In at Denver

Postby riburn3 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 11:42 am

Thanks a bunch, very helpful. I already sent a professor an e-mail.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: In at Denver

Postby Matthies » Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:07 pm

riburn3 wrote:Thanks a bunch, very helpful. I already sent a professor an e-mail.



cool, please keep us posted on what they say, incase others are intrested in tha same thing. Alhtough I think finals are probaly ending today or so, so profs might be on break, so if you don't get an immdeate response it might be becuase they are taking some time off before grading exams.

rojasm7421
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:30 am

Re: In at Denver

Postby rojasm7421 » Tue Dec 15, 2009 6:32 pm

.
Last edited by rojasm7421 on Sat Aug 21, 2010 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: In at Denver

Postby Matthies » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:56 pm

rojasm7421 wrote:Hey everybody. I just got my acceptance letter from Denver. I went complete on Dec 10th and they sent me an email this morning. And a full tuition scholarship. I am so friggen jazzed right now. Now i just have to talk the old lady into moving cross country. A big weight was just lifted off my shoulders.


Congrats man that GREAT!!!!

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: In at Denver

Postby Matthies » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:59 pm

riburn3 wrote:Thanks a bunch, very helpful. I already sent a professor an e-mail.


oh, by the way, I forget until just now that I saw an ad on the Denver Bar Associations job listevre a couple of weeks ago looking for a Nurse/JD combo for med/mal practice. I don't remeber what they where offer salry wise, but I remeber it was above what just a start JD would get. So there will be demand for your skill set.

tarvis79
Posts: 13
Joined: Tue Dec 15, 2009 9:51 am

Re: In at Denver

Postby tarvis79 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 8:02 pm

Just got an acceptance email today, went complete 12/15. 172/3.4.

User avatar
Matthies
Posts: 1253
Joined: Fri Aug 14, 2009 6:18 pm

Re: In at Denver

Postby Matthies » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:12 am

tarvis79 wrote:Just got an acceptance email today, went complete 12/15. 172/3.4.


CONGRATS!

Hopeful22
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:20 pm

Re: In at Denver

Postby Hopeful22 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:50 pm

rojasm7421 wrote:Hey everybody. I just got my acceptance letter from Denver. I went complete on Dec 10th and they sent me an email this morning. And a full tuition scholarship. I am so friggen jazzed right now. Now i just have to talk the old lady into moving cross country. A big weight was just lifted off my shoulders.


Is this a standard merit-based scholarship, or the Chancellors Scholarship, etc? Just curious because up till now the highest DU scholarship I'd seen was 22K.

User avatar
Bikeflip
Posts: 1833
Joined: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: In at Denver

Postby Bikeflip » Sat Dec 19, 2009 9:29 pm

Hopeful22 wrote:
rojasm7421 wrote:Hey everybody. I just got my acceptance letter from Denver. I went complete on Dec 10th and they sent me an email this morning. And a full tuition scholarship. I am so friggen jazzed right now. Now i just have to talk the old lady into moving cross country. A big weight was just lifted off my shoulders.


Is this a standard merit-based scholarship, or the Chancellors Scholarship, etc? Just curious because up till now the highest DU scholarship I'd seen was 22K.

This.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 20171lhopeful, a.sch, aaron1621, ad34964n, BigBear, BobBoblaw, BrittanyJeream, danid83, harmcharm, joezze, kdonohue, lillawyer2, notsolawful, patrickkpaul, pirate101, Solidfood, ThorB, Yahoo [Bot] and 41 guests