In at Denver

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cassandrakirsch

Re: In at Denver

Postby cassandrakirsch » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:33 pm

Ok, so this may come as an odd question to Northerners, but how do you deal with parking in the winter if you are not lucky enough to get any sort of garage parking with your apartment? Do you bite the bullet and shovel the car out? Are there parking garages you can rent a spot at monthly?

I would greatly appreciate the advice before moving and finding myself in a mess!

Thanks,

Cassandra

monicaggon

Postby monicaggon » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:02 pm

Did anyone get the "Student Loan Repayment Options" e-mail? It made me feel a little bit better about paying sticker (if I go to DU)?

JTX

Postby JTX » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:24 pm

cassandrakirsch wrote:Ok, so this may come as an odd question to Northerners, but how do you deal with parking in the winter if you are not lucky enough to get any sort of garage parking with your apartment? Do you bite the bullet and shovel the car out? Are there parking garages you can rent a spot at monthly?

I would greatly appreciate the advice before moving and finding myself in a mess!

Thanks,

Cassandra

cassandra, you're in luck. Winters on the front range are generally mild. we get a handful of awesome storms but for the most part, roads are clear, snow is low or melting and you should be more worried about how dirty your car looks in the winter.

you'll be fine without covered parking... i'm originally from a land of no snow and i havent parked under cover in 4 winters up here.

in the summer there is a little bit of hail risk.

JTX

Postby JTX » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:45 pm

In@Denver is getting a little slow... ITT no one shares if they got in anymore?? I think we are about due to have some more acceptances roll in aren't we??

let's get it jump started. What are the Best and Worst things about Denver (the city)? What pro sports team will you be cheering for instead of the hometown team?

mine: best- tons of good restaurants; worst- random red light cameras and toll roads.
cheering against: the Nugs against the Spurs.

lawlec48

Postby lawlec48 » Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:50 pm

jtxcounitah wrote:In@Denver is getting a little slow... ITT no one shares if they got in anymore?? I think we are about due to have some more acceptances roll in aren't we??

let's get it jump started. What are the Best and Worst things about Denver (the city)? What pro sports team will you be cheering for instead of the hometown team?

mine: best- tons of good restaurants; worst- random red light cameras and toll roads.

Pro: Love the size, closeness to the mountains, 16th st Mall and Downtown.
Con: It is a boring drive back to WI, which is more of a dislike of Iowa and Neb.

Cheering against: Bucks vs. Nuggets, Pack vs. Broncos, Brewers vs. Rockies and Wisconsin vs. DU (this one will have me torn I'm sure, but I'm a HUGE Badger fan)

whiskey

Postby whiskey » Thu Apr 15, 2010 7:17 pm

jtxcounitah wrote:In@Denver is getting a little slow... ITT no one shares if they got in anymore?? I think we are about due to have some more acceptances roll in aren't we??

Best: Great city, restaurants, and they have a football team (unlike la).
Worst: i'm going to have to be a more outdoors type person.

Niki

Postby Niki » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:06 pm

If anyone's interested, we're renting our place out mid-May/June. It's downtown with an awesome view (in the "uptown" area). It's $1350 for a 1 bedroom with a balcony, garage parking for 2 cars, on site storage unit, work center and lounge, heated pool and hot tub, gym, and dog park. It's walking distance to Coors Field, 16th Street Mall and the Lightrail. If you're interested, shoot me a PM and I can email pictures. I'll most likely be attending McGeorge next Fall and the move will likely be permanent and we will be renting the place out indefinately.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:43 pm

jtxcounitah wrote:
cassandrakirsch wrote:Ok, so this may come as an odd question to Northerners, but how do you deal with parking in the winter if you are not lucky enough to get any sort of garage parking with your apartment? Do you bite the bullet and shovel the car out? Are there parking garages you can rent a spot at monthly?

Thanks,

Cassandra

cassandra, you're in luck. Winters on the front range are generally mild. we get a handful of awesome storms but for the most part, roads are clear, snow is low or melting and you should be more worried about how dirty your car looks in the winter.

you'll be fine without covered parking... i'm originally from a land of no snow and i havent parked under cover in 4 winters up here.

in the summer there is a little bit of hail risk.

Will I agree with this completely its a bit of a different story if you live in Cap Hill, Uptown or Downtown and have to park on the street. The plows come down the streets and if we have a big storm can pile crap all around your car, and since people park like 4 inches in front and behind you it can be a pain in ass to get your car dug out or have any room to rock back and forth if your not getting any traction (remember I said don't rent anyplace in this part of town w/o off street parking included!) But storms like that are pretty rare, for the most part is snows heavy one day, then the next its like 50 degrees and everything melts.

doza

Postby doza » Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:57 pm

Best things about Denver: The city itself is awesome - lots of great shops, restaurants, bars, etc . . but you really can't beat being so close to the mountains. There are so many outdoorsy things to do!

Worst: Sometimes the cultural diversity is lacking a bit. What I love about some of the bigger cities (particularly on the East Coast) is the wide range of restaurants.

southerngrace

Postby southerngrace » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:52 pm

Has anyone else been sitting on "application complete" for a month?? I am starting to wonder ....

JTX

Postby JTX » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:16 pm

southerngrace wrote:Has anyone else been sitting on "application complete" for a month?? I am starting to wonder ....

yeah... same here. "six to eight weeks from app complete to decision"

just think, the good news is you're a month down, two to four weeks to go! :)

Izzle13

Postby Izzle13 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:26 am

Withdrew today. Best of luck everyone, I hope a waitlisted TLSer gets my spot :)

southerngrace

Postby southerngrace » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:05 pm

I spoke too soon ... Decision processed today. C'mon email ....

whiskey

Postby whiskey » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:33 pm

Just sent in my deposit. My plan is to move up there mid july. anyone else have a moving time line yet? if so whats the plan? flying, driving, apt rental, etc?

lawlec48

Postby lawlec48 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:30 pm

whiskey wrote:Just sent in my deposit. My plan is to move up there mid july. anyone else have a moving time line yet? if so whats the plan? flying, driving, apt rental, etc?

Whiskey, I sent in my deposit a couple weeks ago... not long after ASD and hanging out at spanky's. My wife and I were considering moving to Denver earlier (May/June) but we've since decided to put that idea on the back burner since we have a lot of things planned for the early summer in WI. That being said, we plan on moving in early to mid July, at the worst late July. I'm still debating if I want to do the DU Law Preview, which would obviously require being in Denver by the first week of August, but I'd like to be there by that point any ways.

Regarding apartments, we looked at a ton of places. We are going to have only a single car, so we decided to look at places near the light rail 10-15 min walk max, so I can use that as my sole mode of transportation. We noticed that Downtown was expensive, so we concentrated our search South of DU and after looking at about 10-15 places, narrowed it down to The District and the Alexan City Center, both of which are on Hampden Ave, albeit distinctly different sides of town. The District is off of I-25, where as the City Center is off of Sante Fe. The pricing ranges from 850-1100 for the two places, so we really need to know what is available at the times we are looking.

Of course, once we returned home after our search my wife decided to look downtown again and found a few places that are close to this pricing near Union Station (light rail & amtrak) and near the 16th Street Mall. We are going to be visiting Denver again in the next couple months and will be looking at these locations then to get a better idea what they are like and worth. The places we've been looking at our Commons Park West, Metro, and The Station at Riverfront Park. The Manhattan, which is owned by the same people as The District interests us, but it seemed more expensive than these, but we are going to contact them too.

lawlec48

Postby lawlec48 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 11:40 pm

Besides Whiskey, has anyone else sent in their seat deposit?

km23

Postby km23 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:14 am

Last edited by km23 on Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goflmarlins

Postby goflmarlins » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:10 am

I have the same problem. Denver is my second choice and I also have to accept financial aid, but my April 22. I already sent in my seat deposit bc the school I'm waitlisted on doesn't think they will look at the wait list for another week. I don't think it is binding... Or least I hope not. My advice send in the seat deposit and accept financial aid. I'm emailing financial aid to ask for an extention to accept.

lawlec48

Postby lawlec48 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:03 am

goflmarlins wrote:I have the same problem. Denver is my second choice and I also have to accept financial aid, but my April 22. I already sent in my seat deposit bc the school I'm waitlisted on doesn't think they will look at the wait list for another week. I don't think it is binding... Or least I hope not. My advice send in the seat deposit and accept financial aid. I'm emailing financial aid to ask for an extention to accept.

Regarding financial aid, I've had the "good fortune" to take out financial aid for ALL my college endeavors, so I can give you a little information. Although i would suggest double checking the fine print, nothing that I noticed stated anything about either the seat deposit or the financial aid being binding. Remember, there is a second seat deposit, which leads me to believe that they anticipate some people jumping ship later as WL come and go. Regarding the FIN AID, you can always accept the loans and then decline or have the loans returned if you chose not to use them or do not need them. Now I have never had to accept fin aid from more than one school, so I assumed you would just need to tell DU that you no longer need the FIN AID once you are in at your #1 school.

Although DU is my #1, I am waitlisted at my #1a, So I could be in the same boat as both of you if I was to hear back, but I accepted my FIN AID and sent in the first seat deposit to ensure my seat and finances were set for DU, of which there is about a 98% chance I will be attending next year.

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:17 am

lawlec48 wrote:
whiskey wrote:Just sent in my deposit. My plan is to move up there mid july. anyone else have a moving time line yet? if so whats the plan? flying, driving, apt rental, etc?

Of course, once we returned home after our search my wife decided to look downtown again and found a few places that are close to this pricing near Union Station (light rail & amtrak) and near the 16th Street Mall. We are going to be visiting Denver again in the next couple months and will be looking at these locations then to get a better idea what they are like and worth. The places we've been looking at our Commons Park West, Metro, and The Station at Riverfront Park. The Manhattan, which is owned by the same people as The District interests us, but it seemed more expensive than these, but we are going to contact them too.

The Union Station area is going to be undergoing a total renovation and remolding and adding shops, condos and apartments, likely to be the next "great" downtown area. Not sure what he time line on that is though, but I read it's like a huge gentrification project.
My advice is get close to downtown if you can at least for years 2-3. That is where all the legal action is, the networking and the internships. One of benefits of DU over CU is that that you can live in the city and be close to both networking and school.

And trust me, networking is going to be KEY in this market. Odds are good that less that 20% (hell myabe less than 10%) of you will get jobs from OCI. Denver just does not work like that. It's a very close nit legal enverimonet. Who you know beats where you go or what grades you get. Knowing people is key, hence networking is key, and next to grades, and I mean right next to it, above family, food and sex, networking should be your number 2 priority. Do that, do it right, and you will end up having a good job you like after school.

JTX

Postby JTX » Tue Apr 20, 2010 11:29 am

I <3 Matthies. This dewd has all the good advice.

lawlec48

Postby lawlec48 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:08 pm

jtxcounitah wrote:I <3 Matthies. This dewd has all the good advice.

+1

Matthies

Postby Matthies » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:13 pm

hey all a few of you have IM'd me about who/what/where and how to network from DU. Rather than reply to everyone indivudually (if you know anything about me you know I have really bad dyslexia so I use speech to text to type, but that does not work in TLS) I will just write up some tips and post them here. Try to have it up today but I have some rearesh and a memeo due for a lawyer I'm doing work for today so may be a bit before I get it up

lawschoolornothing

Postby lawschoolornothing » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:03 pm

So all the acceptances are via email? If my status says "Decision Processed" and no email, does that mean it's a deny? Thanks.

southerngrace

Postby southerngrace » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:29 pm

lawschoolornothing wrote:So all the acceptances are via email? If my status says "Decision Processed" and no email, does that mean it's a deny? Thanks.

Mine changed to "decision processed" yesterday, and I have yet to receive an email as well. From what I have read in previous posts, it can take a couple days for the email to come.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”