In at Denver Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Matthies

Silver

Re: In at Denver

Post by Matthies » Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:57 pm

lawlec48 wrote: The only street I even recognize is Hampton which is south of the school in the "older burbs" 60-70s houses. Will be near the school but about 25 mins from downtown in good traffic.

The only place I can recommend near campus is where I lived for a year when i first moved here. The place was called the Marks Apartments. It was decent, big complex, and about 5 mins from school. newer place, about 15 years old and had washer dyer hookups. http://www.forrent.com/apartment-commun ... 002487.php I lived on the first floor. If I was doing it again I would have lived on the third (top) floor because is seemed like the ceilings were pretty thin. Never heard anything from my neighbors but the people above me were loud. I think I had the second smallest one bedroom. There was plenty of space in the living room for my sofa and two desks.

BTW good CHEAP huge desk idea. I went to home depot and got a plain white indoor door for like $35 then put that on top of two file cabinets behind my sofa. It made a HUGE desk, cheap, with plenty of space to spread out all my books and stuff in law school. I still use that desk in my home office now that I have my own house. Its great, best desk I have ever had. I had some pics I can post if anyone is intrested.
Matthies, thanks for the details! My wife had actually looked the the Marks but was concerned about the distance to DU since its not near the light rail. We are only going to have 1 car, so I am destined to use public transportation. Did you ever have to take the bus to DU from the Marks? I'd be interested to know the ease and time it took. Also, besides the Marks, what other places did you stay at? Even if they are not close to DU, the light rail seems easy enough to get around with.

Thanks again[/quote]

It was like six years ago since I lived at the Marks, but I think its less than a mile from Campus. I mean it was like a five min drive. You could certainly bike there is good weather. And I think you could walk. I also think there is a bus that goes down Downing too. Do a Google map. I went out the back way I can't remember the name of the street, Girard I think, then took a left to get to Downing. Like I said it was at least six years ago i lived there, so I may be remembering it being closer than I think now.

That is the only other place I lived in Denver. I bought my house here in Cap Hill a year later and have lived here ever since. I live just off of Downing and I know there is a bus that goes down Downing (which up here Downing is one way north, and Corona is one way south, but they both merge into Downing two way a bit farther south near Speer - so I just refer to them as "Downing" together. Lots of streets do that when you get near downtown go from 2 way to one way with different names, like University is actually Josephine (one direction) and York (the other direction) up north) Downing goes right down to Evens, but I would take a left just before that on some side street and come up the back way to the law parking lot. I had thought about taking the bus a few times, since its free with your DU ID and there is a bus stop on Corona 1 block from my house going south (and one right on Downing like 200 feet from my front door for coming back north), but I just never got around to it, I always seemed to be running late so I drove. Plus I smoke, so it was nice to have a few cigs on the way to school and back.

I think if I was in a one car family and planned to take the train down to campus I would look in the Downtown/Uptown/West cap Hill/Broadway area, but again these are all more "city" neighborhoods with city issues, so if you're more a burbs person or have little kids may not be the right area.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:00 pm

Also I should note, in the five years I'm live near downtown I think I have been south of the Marks like 3 times. Just nothing intrests me that far South. Everything I need is up here. Well except the Audi dealership, why a town that has so many Audis in it only has 2 deales and both are exactly 10 miles away from me makes no sense.

cassandrakirsch

New

Post by cassandrakirsch » Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:50 pm

Hi everyone!

I've been trolling the forums for awhile and figured a post was finally due. Anyways, I was accepted in January, but have just now received notice of financial aid. Unluckily, I have forgotten my DU ID and need to call this afternoon, otherwise I would have posted the amount in financial aid.

On a side note, I'll be flying in next Wednesday to attend the open house at the Sturm College of Law. Is anyone planning on going?

Cassandra

JTX

Bronze

Post by JTX » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:33 pm

cassandrakirsch wrote:Hi everyone!

I've been [strike]trolling[/strike]lurking the forums for awhile and figured a post was finally due. Anyways, I was accepted in January, but have just now received notice of financial aid. Unluckily, I have forgotten my DU ID and need to call this afternoon, otherwise I would have posted the amount in financial aid.

On a side note, I'll be flying in next Wednesday to attend the open house at the Sturm College of Law. Is anyone planning on going?

Cassandra
if i ever get an acceptance...

edit: FTFU
Last edited by JTX on Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Izzle13

New

Post by Izzle13 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:47 pm

I've been trolling the forums for awhile and figured a post was finally due. Anyways, I was accepted in January, but have just now received notice of financial aid. Unluckily, I have forgotten my DU ID and need to call this afternoon, otherwise I would have posted the amount in financial aid.

Cassandra
I've been lurking as well, and will also be attending the Open House next weekend.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

km23

Bronze

Post by km23 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:55 pm

Last edited by km23 on Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rcharles

Bronze

Post by rcharles » Fri Mar 26, 2010 3:55 pm

lawlec48 wrote:
Matthies, thanks for the details! My wife had actually looked the the Marks but was concerned about the distance to DU since its not near the light rail. We are only going to have 1 car, so I am destined to use public transportation. Did you ever have to take the bus to DU from the Marks? I'd be interested to know the ease and time it took. Also, besides the Marks, what other places did you stay at? Even if they are not close to DU, the light rail seems easy enough to get around with.

Thanks again
According to RTD (Denver's mass transit authority and a very efficient one at that) you can walk 10 minutes east to University Blvd and catch the 24 straight up to Evans.
That's just over a 5 minute ride. The 24 runs every 30 minutes on non-holiday weekdays.

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:05 pm

rcharles wrote:
lawlec48 wrote:

Thanks again
According to RTD (Denver's mass transit authority and a very efficient one at that) you can walk 10 minutes east to University Blvd and catch the 24 straight up to Evans.
That's just over a 5 minute ride. The 24 runs every 30 minutes on non-holiday weekdays.
rcharles, Much appreciated information!

Regarding ASD, it seems like there will be a good number of TLSers coming next week. I look forward to meeting everyone!

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Fri Mar 26, 2010 4:14 pm

Yea I'll say I have been pretty impressed with the buses here in Denver. While i have never ridden one myslef, they run 24 hours, which was unheard of in Phoenix where I used to live. And then run in all kinds of weather, the few times its been crazy out to the point that I would not drive even with an AWD car the buses still run on schedual. Also your DU ID gets you free train rides I think too. Someting else I haev neer done. I'm a one man whole in the ozone I guess with all the driving I do.

As to the grad apartments I had two classmates who lived in them. They said they were decent enough, no real complaints other than being OLD. Should be fine for the first year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

cassandrakirsch

New

Post by cassandrakirsch » Fri Mar 26, 2010 5:49 pm

Izzle13 wrote:

Cassandra
I've been lurking as well, and will also be attending the Open House next weekend.

I had a complete lapse of thought and typed "trolling"! Anyways, can't wait to meet everyone!

cassandrakirsch

New

Post by cassandrakirsch » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:17 pm

Well, I was able to get my financial aid information. I'm looking at a combination of loans from the school, but no scholarship.

In case anyone was wondering, I graduated with a 3.8 GPA from the University of Texas, where I studied Mandarin Chinese and Political Science. I made a 158 on the LSAT, however standardized tests have predicted my academic abilities poorly in the past (i.e SAT). No matter how dismayed I might be about the lack of scholarship from DU Law, I'll be in Denver next week for the open house.

rcharles

Bronze

Post by rcharles » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:22 pm

cassandrakirsch wrote:Well, I was able to get my financial aid information. I'm looking at a combination of loans from the school, but no scholarship.

In case anyone was wondering, I graduated with a 3.8 GPA from the University of Texas, where I studied Mandarin Chinese and Political Science. I made a 158 on the LSAT, however standardized tests have predicted my academic abilities poorly in the past (i.e SAT). No matter how dismayed I might be about the lack of scholarship from DU Law, I'll be in Denver next week for the open house.
Did you include an addendum regarding your trouble with standardized tests with your application?

atfarmer

New

Post by atfarmer » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:36 pm

Lol, got waitlisted today with a 165, a 3.5, pretty good softs, and only a few speeding tickets on my criminal record. I did not see that coming.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

rcharles

Bronze

Post by rcharles » Fri Mar 26, 2010 6:37 pm

atfarmer wrote:Lol, got waitlisted today with a 165, a 3.5, pretty good softs, and only a few speeding tickets on my criminal record. I did not see that coming.
YP I'm sure.

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:49 am

atfarmer wrote:Lol, got waitlisted today with a 165, a 3.5, pretty good softs, and only a few speeding tickets on my criminal record. I did not see that coming.

Farmer, I'm sure you'd be one of the 1st off the WL if its your top choice, although I'm not sure if it is or not. Good luck either way in where ever you end up next semester!!!

quickquestionthanks

Silver

Post by quickquestionthanks » Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:39 am

cassandrakirsch wrote:
Izzle13 wrote:

Cassandra

I had a complete lapse of thought and typed "trolling"! Anyways, can't wait to meet everyone!

I read that and thought "that's sort of an odd thing to say" I guess you meant 'strolling?'

Thanks for the timeline on your fin aid stuff. I got in yesterday, but it will come down to money, because I have a couple good offers. I don't think I can wait until May to find out :(

shum0407

New

Post by shum0407 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:38 am

Hello all! I am most likely attending DU next fall, and I'm from out of state as well. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for places to live in the Capitol Hill/Wash Park area? I'm unfortunately not attending the Admitted Student's Day, and I'm really not sure as to when I'll be out there next to look at apartments so most of my search will have to be done online. I would really appreciate any suggestions!!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

rcharles

Bronze

Post by rcharles » Sat Mar 27, 2010 3:06 pm

shum0407 wrote:Hello all! I am most likely attending DU next fall, and I'm from out of state as well. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for places to live in the Capitol Hill/Wash Park area? I'm unfortunately not attending the Admitted Student's Day, and I'm really not sure as to when I'll be out there next to look at apartments so most of my search will have to be done online. I would really appreciate any suggestions!!
Someone mentioned this earlier and I stongly agree, if you're looking for a place in Capitol Hill you really need to get out there in person and look. I would say that you are better off delaying the search until you can do so.

shum0407

New

Post by shum0407 » Sat Mar 27, 2010 4:38 pm

Unfortunately, like I said, I am out of state and am not going to be able to come out to Denver till the middle of the summer, and I was looking for some suggestions of where to start looking. All I was asking for was some suggestions of where to start looking or if any current Denver residents had an insight on the neighborhoods or suggested apartment buildings?
rcharles wrote:
shum0407 wrote:Hello all! I am most likely attending DU next fall, and I'm from out of state as well. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for places to live in the Capitol Hill/Wash Park area? I'm unfortunately not attending the Admitted Student's Day, and I'm really not sure as to when I'll be out there next to look at apartments so most of my search will have to be done online. I would really appreciate any suggestions!!
Someone mentioned this earlier and I stongly agree, if you're looking for a place in Capitol Hill you really need to get out there in person and look. I would say that you are better off delaying the search until you can do so.

tara_law

New

Post by tara_law » Sat Mar 27, 2010 7:11 pm

Chancellor Scholarship letters were sent via email. I did not get one. I really thought I was a good candidate. That means DU will not offering me a penny in scholarship money. I might not go to law school next year... I don't think it's worth 95000 a year (35 000 in tuition, 60 000 in loss of my current salary). I really wanted to go to DU too! Maybe I will try again next year, but that would mean retaking the LSAT... I only got a 155.

cassandrakirsch

New

Post by cassandrakirsch » Sat Mar 27, 2010 9:58 pm

rcharles wrote:
cassandrakirsch wrote:Well, I was able to get my financial aid information. I'm looking at a combination of loans from the school, but no scholarship.

Did you include an addendum regarding your trouble with standardized tests with your application?

Actually, I did send in an addendum. Hopefully, I'll receive a scholarship during the second round in May.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

b.j.

Bronze

Post by b.j. » Sat Mar 27, 2010 10:26 pm

tara_law wrote:Chancellor Scholarship letters were sent via email. I did not get one. I really thought I was a good candidate. That means DU will not offering me a penny in scholarship money. I might not go to law school next year... I don't think it's worth 95000 a year (35 000 in tuition, 60 000 in loss of my current salary). I really wanted to go to DU too! Maybe I will try again next year, but that would mean retaking the LSAT... I only got a 155.
First, let me ask, did you find out you were accepted in the same e-mail, or were you accepted on a previous occasion?

Now, as for your problem, I'd consider asking them for a deferment or if you can transfer into the part time program. Since you were already accepted, I don't see any reason to take the LSAT again, unless you absolutely need to. I surely don't want to take that goddamn test ever again, despite being unhappy with both of my scores.

JTX

Bronze

Post by JTX » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:21 pm

rcharles wrote:
YP I'm sure.
Boo YP. Farmer, did you apply to 25 schools or what? why would they WL you??

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:28 pm

I just got the e-mail about the Open House with the schedule. Can't wait!! Can we get a count of who else on here will be attending? I would love to meet you guys! I'm from NJ so hopefully my visit to Denver will convince me to move across the country.

Izzle13

New

Post by Izzle13 » Mon Mar 29, 2010 1:33 pm

mhd08 wrote:I just got the e-mail about the Open House with the schedule. Can't wait!! Can we get a count of who else on here will be attending? I would love to meet you guys! I'm from NJ so hopefully my visit to Denver will convince me to move across the country.
I will be attending, very curious to see what the school is like.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”