In at Denver Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bttuffy

New

In at Denver

Post by bttuffy » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:27 am

I received my acceptance from DU today! Thought I would start this topic for 2010!

Wondering when we will here about financial aid?

riburn3

New

Re: In at Denver

Post by riburn3 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:34 am

How did you hear about your acceptance and what are your numbers?

km23

Bronze

Post by km23 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 4:21 am

+1 to the questions above and when did you go complete?

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 10:39 am

Congrats on getting into Denver! I'm very interested in when you went complete and in review also. I've been complete since 11/04/2009 and still waiting to get into review or find out. Numbers would also be helpful too.

Congrats again!!!

isaiah6v8

Bronze

Post by isaiah6v8 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:25 pm

I have gone back and forth on applying to Denver, I really love the idea of living in Colorado again, and I have applied to CU, but I feel like it might be a little bit of a stretch for me. Denver obviously isn't ranked as high, but I have heard some good things about it. Can y'all tell me what made you decide to apply and maybe some of the higher points of the school?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

heath3r

New

Post by heath3r » Wed Dec 02, 2009 1:36 pm

isaiah6v8 wrote:I have gone back and forth on applying to Denver, I really love the idea of living in Colorado again, and I have applied to CU, but I feel like it might be a little bit of a stretch for me. Denver obviously isn't ranked as high, but I have heard some good things about it. Can y'all tell me what made you decide to apply and maybe some of the higher points of the school?
I too went back and forth about Denver, but ultimately ended up applying after visiting. The facilties were very nice, the admissions office very helpful, and I understand that it does have a good reputation in the Denver area, though obviously nothing compared to CU-Boulder. From what I was told, they're also pretty generous with scholarships. While I still would like a Tier 1 school, Denver is definitely at the top of my list for a Tier 2, and if the money was right I wouldn't hesitate to attend. Plus, it's in Colorado, which as far as I am concerned is reason enough to attend :)

Now that I know they're being issued, I'm anxious to get my decision!

isaiah6v8

Bronze

Post by isaiah6v8 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:49 pm

Yeah CO is a beautiful place, I wouldn't mind living there, but Denver is not cheap, not the city and not the school. I don't know how much skiing I would be able to do while I was in Law School. Hopefully some if I were there though. I may have to apply after all.

heath3r

New

Post by heath3r » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:38 pm

True, Denver's not cheap, but Boulder is an expensive place to live too! And CU out-of-state tuition is roughly the same as Denver. Also I was told by the admissions office at DU that if you're in the 75th Percentile (I don't know your numbers so don't know if this applies to you) you'll usually get 20k+ in scholarship, which all of a sudden makes the school a lot cheaper.

Of course, overall I would definitely still prefer to live in Boulder. Maybe I'm really trying to talk myself into Denver being a good option, in case I don't get in at Boulder? :?

KmissP

Bronze

Post by KmissP » Wed Dec 02, 2009 6:30 pm

Did you retake your LSAT, or just reapply?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

riburn3

New

Post by riburn3 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:53 am

Went to decision rendered today. Guess they send it in the mail.

GetYaPopcornReady

New

Post by GetYaPopcornReady » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:39 pm

Decision rendered, can't wait to check the mail soon

Threepeat

Bronze

Post by Threepeat » Thu Dec 03, 2009 12:57 pm

GetYaPopcornReady wrote:Decision rendered, can't wait to check the mail soon

When did you go complete?

leftieash

New

Post by leftieash » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:32 pm

GetYaPopcornReady wrote:Decision rendered, can't wait to check the mail soon
I am decision processed too!! Aaaah!!! From what I can tell (from those who have gotten in so far on LSN), they are supposed to send people emails and then send the letter. One guy said that his status checker went decision processed on 11/24 and he actually got the acceptance email 12/1. I am hoping that delay is from the Thanksgiving holiday...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

heath3r

New

Post by heath3r » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:36 pm

KmissP wrote:Did you retake your LSAT, or just reapply?
KmissP: Who is this question intended for?

Status-checker says "Decision Processed" as of yesterday... Now just waiting for the email, which I hope comes sooner rather than later!

pattymac

Bronze

Post by pattymac » Thu Dec 03, 2009 1:37 pm

riburn3

New

Post by riburn3 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:17 pm

Just got my acceptance via e-mail. 1 day after having a decision rendered via status checker.

Edit: Also got a scholarship e-mail right after telling me I get $16,500 a year for four years.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:37 pm

Hi all, congrats to those of you who got accepatances and hold tight for those who are waiting. Denver is sually slow as the second coming geting accpatnces out, but we have a new dean of admissions now so maybe it is faster (the old one retired). I graduated from DU in may with the JD (part-time) and an MLS/LLM, so I was at Denver from 2004 to 2009. If you all have any questions I'll try to asnwer them as best I can. I'm an older student, and have a difffrent take on LS than many of my peers, so my answers may not apply to everyone or be the standerd response, but its what worked for me.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

riburn3

New

Post by riburn3 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:48 pm

Matthies wrote:Hi all, congrats to those of you who got accepatances and hold tight for those who are waiting. Denver is sually slow as the second coming geting accpatnces out, but we have a new dean of admissions now so maybe it is faster (the old one retired). I graduated from DU in may with the JD (part-time) and an MLS/LLM, so I was at Denver from 2004 to 2009. If you all have any questions I'll try to asnwer them as best I can. I'm an older student, and have a difffrent take on LS than many of my peers, so my answers may not apply to everyone or be the standerd response, but its what worked for me.

Thanks for this. I was wondering if you knew the grading curve at DU and how hard it is to maintain a 3.0 since all their scholarships have this as a requirement. Thanks again.

KmissP

Bronze

Post by KmissP » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:54 pm

heath3r wrote:
KmissP wrote:Did you retake your LSAT, or just reapply?
KmissP: Who is this question intended for?

Status-checker says "Decision Processed" as of yesterday... Now just waiting for the email, which I hope comes sooner rather than later!

bttuffy

(just wondering about the general trend of accepted folks' numbers)

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:34 pm

riburn3 wrote:
Thanks for this. I was wondering if you knew the grading curve at DU and how hard it is to maintain a 3.0 since all their scholarships have this as a requirement. Thanks again.
The curve is 3.0 mean/median so for any class more than 10 people the mean/median of the class grades must be 3.0 (some talk of it being 2.9-3.1 but all the mean/medians I saw were always 3.0). I also I heard some talk about changing the curve to slightly lower, like 2.9 over the summer, but this is all rumors, if they did make such a change it will be in the student handbook you will get at orientation, but I’m pretty sure its staying at 3.0 and they are just raising academic suspension level from the old 2.2 to like 2.4.

There is sometimes a slight variation in this 3.0 curve with legal research and writing class, and sometimes profs can appeal to have a class not curved (very rare) or curved to a slightly higher then3.0 (I had this happen in a 11 person class where everyone from A-C was basically 1 point away from each other, so they allowed for a higher curve for that class, otherwise someone who missed just 3 points on the exam would have had to get a C). But pretty much every class is curved to the 3.0 mean/median, the exceptions only happened twice in my five years there.

There is no set number of any grades to be given like at some schools (like 10% As, 10% Bs) it just has to work out to a mean/median per class curve of 3.0. So to give more As a prof might have to give more Cs, but the majority of the class will fall in the B-,B, B+ range, with a few on either side of that. So basically to keep your scholarship you would need to be at the median (top 50%) or above. That’s a lot better deal than many schools.

heath3r

New

Post by heath3r » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:42 pm

Got my acceptance e-mail today. Scholarship offer came 20 mins later - 22k/year renewable with maintenance of 3.0 GPA :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

GetYaPopcornReady

New

Post by GetYaPopcornReady » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:43 pm

Just got the email! I'm in! woooo! so relieved; went complete 11/2

DallasCowboy

Silver

Post by DallasCowboy » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:00 pm

GetYaPopcornReady wrote:Just got the email! I'm in! woooo! so relieved; went complete 11/2
Congrats. Nice avatar.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:38 pm

heath3r wrote:Got my acceptance e-mail today. Scholarship offer came 20 mins later - 22k/year renewable with maintenance of 3.0 GPA :)
congrats, nice job!

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Thu Dec 03, 2009 4:38 pm

GetYaPopcornReady wrote:Just got the email! I'm in! woooo! so relieved; went complete 11/2
congrats!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”