In at Denver Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
whiskey

New

Re: In at Denver

Post by whiskey » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:40 pm

Hope to see everyone at ASD. I'll be the short, ugly guy that had only a couple of hours of sleep on account that i have a 4 am flight.

wswalt

New

Post by wswalt » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:45 pm

What is everyone wearing tomorrow at ASD? I can't remember if it said casual or business casual.

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:50 pm

wswalt wrote:What is everyone wearing tomorrow at ASD? I can't remember if it said casual or business casual.
Dress is casual. I'm probably wearing jeans, flats, and a polo.

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:22 am

One question about our post-open house get together tomorrow night: How are we planning on distinguishing ourselves as TLSers? Does everyone just want to meet at a certain part of the school after the open house, or do you all just want to head to the bar separately and meet there? I vote to meet somewhere in the school and walk over together.

Izzle13

New

Post by Izzle13 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:15 pm

mhd08 wrote:One question about our post-open house get together tomorrow night: How are we planning on distinguishing ourselves as TLSers? Does everyone just want to meet at a certain part of the school after the open house, or do you all just want to head to the bar separately and meet there? I vote to meet somewhere in the school and walk over together.
Does the bar have a hostess? We could let her know we have a group coming in and have her direct everyone to the same table maybe.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:16 pm

hi all, sounds like you guys are going to have fun at the open house!

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:22 pm

I would suggest just meeting at Spanky's since it is so late to try to get people to meet at a point at DU. I like Izzle's idea of having the hostess know we are from the DU Law Open House and we can meet by the bar. I read a review that Spanky's has PBR for 1.50 all day and night, which albeit not my favorite beer, screems that I have to have one... So that being said, I'll be the guy in a black shirt with a PBR at the bar. My wife will look a little dressed up too, she has a job interview at Noon, so she'll have a purple shirt and tan slacks versus jeans and a T/Polo.

jbreiden

New

Post by jbreiden » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:13 pm

For all those who haven't googled it: to get to the bar go out the front doors to the law building (they face west), take a left and walk to evans street, cross the street (easier to do on campus), then walk a half block west (toward the mountains). I might have to do somethine else right afterward, so if I don't see you all have a good time. Also, if I'm not there please post here and judge all the other people who did come so I am able to tell if I should choose DU or if it appears next years class will be a bunch of wierdos. j/k

Izzle13

New

Post by Izzle13 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:39 pm

lawlec48 wrote:I would suggest just meeting at Spanky's since it is so late to try to get people to meet at a point at DU. I like Izzle's idea of having the hostess know we are from the DU Law Open House and we can meet by the bar. I read a review that Spanky's has PBR for 1.50 all day and night, which albeit not my favorite beer, screems that I have to have one... So that being said, I'll be the guy in a black shirt with a PBR at the bar. My wife will look a little dressed up too, she has a job interview at Noon, so she'll have a purple shirt and tan slacks versus jeans and a T/Polo.
Hey now, PBR is a quality brew :) I'm a short blonde (female), I'll be wearing a blue shirt and jeans. Excited to see everyone there!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

mhd08

Bronze

Post by mhd08 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:05 am

It was great meeting you guys!! lawlec48, I'll change my avatar just for you when I'm not so lazy haha.

thinkinoutloud

New

Post by thinkinoutloud » Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:00 am

Hey it was good meeting everyone! I hope you all have a good time apartment hunting. If you have any questions why you are in town don't hesitate to give me a shout.

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 12:12 pm

mhd08 wrote:It was great meeting you guys!! lawlec48, I'll change my avatar just for you when I'm not so lazy haha.

Mhd08, I appreciate the future avatar change, lol.

It was great meeting with everyone! I hope everyone decides to attend DU and we can all hangout again come August.

Once everyone does their apartment hunting, don't forget to PM or post your findings. Finding a place from afar seems like the most difficult part of the process for law school. Granted, I probably just think that because its the step I'm on now and the rest is already done.

km23

Bronze

Post by km23 » Sat Apr 03, 2010 4:15 pm

It looks like everyone had fun at Admitted Students Day! Did anyone snap any pics they want to share of the campus/Denver? I'm sad I couldn't make it!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

jbreiden

New

Post by jbreiden » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:52 am

Wow, did everyone else find the 2L girl on the student panel as intolerable to listen to as I did? She would not shut up and had nothing useful to say! It was a nice little sales pitch for the school as a whole though. $162,000 sales pitch? Not quite as sure.

Did the Spanky's suggestion work out? I had to race back home to foco so sorry I missed everyone.

whiskey

New

Post by whiskey » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:54 pm

The ASD was pretty good. I thought the way they scheduled the whole day was poor time management. The building was great and everyone seemed really nice. I had a great time meeting everyone at spanky's.
I looked at places downtown and in cherry creek. if going downtown i would recommend everyone check out the Ballpark Lofts. They had one and two bedrooms for 1000+. But it is literally five minutes to the stadium and surrounded by great bars and restaurants. In the cherry creek area i found a bunch of places that were all great. The covington apartments were all new and cheap. Thy came with dishwashers, washer, dryer and refrigerator. Torry Pines was another place that was run by the same company that ran the covington apartments. They were quite a bit older than the covington but they were also alot cheaper. These two places are in a half mile radius of each other. They are all ran by the Carmel Management group. The great thing about this area is that its only a few miles from the school and a mile away from the light rail. I have the contact info if anyone wants it. For a one bedroom in Torrypines it was about 650 and the covington was about 740.

monicaggon

New

Post by monicaggon » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:15 pm

Can any please talk about their reserves on paying sticker? I have been accepted to DU, where coincidentally my in-laws live close by so I could live with them and severley cut my COL, but the idea of paying sticker still freaks me out.

I clearly have until the end of the month to make that decision, but I was wondering how anyone else is handling the idea of such a huge debt.

I would appreciate any contribution to this topic... :D

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 6:51 pm

monicaggon wrote:Can any please talk about their reserves on paying sticker? I have been accepted to DU, where coincidentally my in-laws live close by so I could live with them and severely cut my COL, but the idea of paying sticker still freaks me out.

I clearly have until the end of the month to make that decision, but I was wondering how anyone else is handling the idea of such a huge debt.

I would appreciate any contribution to this topic... :D
Monicaggon, unless something crazy happens and a scholarships falls out of the sky, I will be attending DU on sticker price, so I guess I would qualify to answer your question.

Before I go about stating why I chose DU, let me first state that due to my UGPA I anticipated paying sticker at any LS I attended, so I greatly reduced the impact of price on my decision making. Even when I was offered a 50% scholarship at one school, I only slightly took it into account and weighted it accordingly compared to my other main areas of concern. Further more, I have the luxury of coming to LS nearly debt free after the sale of my house and my wife will be working full time during my studies, so that limited the amount of loans I would need to take out, although I still anticipate 120k in debt once I graduate.

I chose DU despite it costing 15-20k overall more than my other final options because of several reasons.
1. Comfortability: With the school and campus. After attending a couple finalists, DU felt right, it felt like the type of atmosphere that I could easily work within in the next three years.

2. Location: In deciding which schools to apply to I knew each would be regional and limit myself post graduation on the area that I would be able to venture with ease. In visiting my options, Denver simply felt like the type of city that I wanted to live in and more importantly a city my wife wanted to live in. Denver has more mild winters and lacks humidity so the summers are not has overbearing as we are used to in WI, and having the mountains and the outdoor activities so close was also important.

3. DU Employment in Denver: With 50% of the legal market in Colorado as DU Law Alumni, employment prospects are generally good in the local area. Granted CU is a higher rated school, but due to size, has fewer alumni in the area and this large alumni base is very active in working in getting DU grads legal employment.

4. Legal Community Interaction: Due to proximately, and as they stated at ASD due to limited other means for legal professionals (judges) to earn additional incomes, DU has the luxury of having excellent Adjunct Professors teaching at DU and working with DU students on internships and externships.

5. Clinicals: I don't know the exact numbers, but it was something like 400+ students have clinical experience prior to graduation, which is a very high percentage.

6. Ved Nanda International Law Institute: I am interested in studying international law as the emphasis for my MBA was international law and in combination with my interest in the subject matter, I felt it would be a valuable combination and could assist when searching for employment. DU is ranked as one of the top 25 LS in international law, which I took with a grain of salt, although it does lend some credability to the program and what the program offers. Beyond the ranking though, DU offers a concentration/certificate in international law, they have a wide array of both corporate and human rights international law courses and have opportunities beyond the courses to gain hands on experience. I was shocked that DU does not sponsor any study abroad programs since they do indicate study aboard opportunities, but generally it is not overly difficult to work with another institute to study abroad.

Those are some of the reasons I chose DU and I am alright with Sticker at DU.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

monicaggon

New

Post by monicaggon » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:08 pm

Lawlec48,

Thank you for your reply! This are great reasons, but in reading them, I feel like they do not correspond with my own reasons for going.

I guess I have the remainder of the month to think about it, but that debt is still the biggest factor in my decision.

Either way, good luck!

lawlec48

Bronze

Post by lawlec48 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:13 pm

monicaggon wrote:Lawlec48,

Thank you for your reply! This are great reasons, but in reading them, I feel like they do not correspond with my own reasons for going.

I guess I have the remainder of the month to think about it, but that debt is still the biggest factor in my decision.

Either way, good luck!
Monicaggon, If you don't mind, what are the other options that you are looking at? Obviously if you have other scholarship offer at comparable school, it would muddy the decision.

monicaggon

New

Post by monicaggon » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:13 pm

lawlec48 wrote:
monicaggon wrote:Lawlec48,

Either way, good luck!
Monicaggon, If you don't mind, what are the other options that you are looking at? Obviously if you have other scholarship offer at comparable school, it would muddy the decision.
Not really. I am waiting on UNM (I am a resident and will get tuition for approx 12K). So UNM is clearly my top choice financially speaking, but I may not get in. I applied to T4s and got scholarships but my husband is a student at UNM School of law, and relocation may not be the best thing for him right now (except to Denver, which is his home town). I would go to Denver in a heartbeat, had I received any scholarship money.

I think that if I do not get into UNM, I will wait a year (continue working) and retake the LSAT to get a scholarship competitive score...hopefully

jman77

Silver

Post by jman77 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 4:18 pm

I e-mailed Denver regarding potential scholarship money...have not heard back at all. Will be withdrawing. I love the city and can see myself living/working there, but no way I'm paying sticker.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

hulababe522

New

Post by hulababe522 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:31 am

Does anyone have any pictures of the campus they could post? I wasn't able to make ASD and I'm down in Texas. Thanks!

jbreiden

New

Post by jbreiden » Thu Apr 08, 2010 12:20 pm

jman77 wrote:I e-mailed Denver regarding potential scholarship money...have not heard back at all. Will be withdrawing. I love the city and can see myself living/working there, but no way I'm paying sticker.
On admitted student day i spoke with their finacial aid lady and she told me they have 3 rounds of scholarship offers. The first of which was completed late feb. They give out all the money they have then see after first seat deposit how much is not accepted and give that money out again in the second round. Then do the same after second deposit. Since I didn't take the LSAT until Feb (they get the score Mar 1st) I missed out on the first round. The only way to see if I get an offer would be to cough up the first deposit and hope for the best.

It is really hard to justify paying sticker at DU if you ask me.

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:46 pm

hulababe522 wrote:Does anyone have any pictures of the campus they could post? I wasn't able to make ASD and I'm down in Texas. Thanks!
I think I have some on my computer I'll see if I can post them on here

Matthies

Silver

Post by Matthies » Thu Apr 08, 2010 3:49 pm

whiskey wrote:The ASD was pretty good. I thought the way they scheduled the whole day was poor time management. The building was great and everyone seemed really nice. I had a great time meeting everyone at spanky's.
I looked at places downtown and in cherry creek. if going downtown i would recommend everyone check out the Ballpark Lofts. They had one and two bedrooms for 1000+. But it is literally five minutes to the stadium and surrounded by great bars and restaurants. In the cherry creek area i found a bunch of places that were all great. The covington apartments were all new and cheap. Thy came with dishwashers, washer, dryer and refrigerator. Torry Pines was another place that was run by the same company that ran the covington apartments. They were quite a bit older than the covington but they were also alot cheaper. These two places are in a half mile radius of each other. They are all ran by the Carmel Management group. The great thing about this area is that its only a few miles from the school and a mile away from the light rail. I have the contact info if anyone wants it. For a one bedroom in Torrypines it was about 650 and the covington was about 740.
Ballpark area is great to vist, but I don't know if I would want to live there, at least during 1L, it gets freaking NUTS on game days, which is a lot for baseball, people are loud, the steerts are jam packed, its just a bit nuts down there. just something to FYI. I studied at home so if I lived down there i would have personally been distracted too much. Oh, and as I daid before, make sure parking is included or you will hate your lie if you live anywhere north of 12th ave to about 19th ave, from university to downtown. parking is a NIGHTMARE unles you have your own spot.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”