Seton Hall

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
amclane

Re: Seton Hall

Postby amclane » Thu Apr 15, 2010 12:36 pm

To anyone who is attending, I started a facebook group for us!

http://www.facebook.com/#!/group.php?gi ... 7318533987

yeahyeah2121

Postby yeahyeah2121 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:19 am

I was also curious about the rigor of the top 50% stipulation. Is it by section or does that apply to the entire 200 some person class? If it's the former, I'm worried about section stacking. If it's the latter, I'm less worried but I feel like there are still ways I could lose my scholarship (uneven section difficulty with bad profs, etc.). If I lost my scholarship it would negate going to SH over some of the other schools I've been accepted to with lower sticker prices. I'm visiting next week so when I talk to students and find out if this is that case I'll be happy to share.

bitlrc

Postby bitlrc » Fri Apr 16, 2010 10:22 am

yeahyeah2121 wrote:I was also curious about the rigor of the top 50% stipulation. Is it by section or does that apply to the entire 200 some person class? If it's the former, I'm worried about section stacking. If it's the latter, I'm less worried but I feel like there are still ways I could lose my scholarship (uneven section difficulty with bad profs, etc.). If I lost my scholarship it would negate going to SH over some of the other schools I've been accepted to with lower sticker prices. I'm visiting next week so when I talk to students and find out if this is that case I'll be happy to share.

i've had the same concerns, but then i figured..you know if i'm in a school ranked in the 70s and i can't keep in the top 50%, i'll probably never find a decent job anyway, so might as well cut my losses and do something else with my life at that point

Fef619

Postby Fef619 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 4:04 pm

Accepted today!!!! so excited :)

publiusjr

Postby publiusjr » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:30 pm

congrats. I applied pt there. They told me dont be surprised if I dont hear anything until mid-may to late may.

NYCG8TR

Postby NYCG8TR » Wed Apr 21, 2010 7:41 pm

publiusjr wrote:congrats. I applied pt there. They told me dont be surprised if I dont hear anything until mid-may to late may.

I applied PT as well and they told me basically the same things as well.

inSouthAmerica

Postby inSouthAmerica » Wed Apr 21, 2010 8:02 pm

i'm glad there's a friendlier forum going on for you guys.

publiusjr

Postby publiusjr » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:26 pm

they are saying due to the economy alot of people are applying to law school now. Those people are in for a rude awakening because if they get accepted they will realize law school isnt something you do because you lost your job. Iff you dont want to study the law then you will hate it.

amclane

Postby amclane » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:43 pm

publiusjr wrote:they are saying due to the economy alot of people are applying to law school now. Those people are in for a rude awakening because if they get accepted they will realize law school isnt something you do because you lost your job. Iff you dont want to study the law then you will hate it.

lol thanks....

Corinne

Postby Corinne » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:09 pm

Last edited by Corinne on Sat Aug 21, 2010 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

smartin

Postby smartin » Thu Apr 22, 2010 11:04 pm

Got in today with a $25K Presidential Scholarship but the tuition is so high, I don't think it's enough to woo me.

bernie shmegma

Postby bernie shmegma » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:04 am

Corinne wrote:
yeahyeah2121 wrote:I was also curious about the rigor of the top 50% stipulation. Is it by section or does that apply to the entire 200 some person class? If it's the former, I'm worried about section stacking. If it's the latter, I'm less worried but I feel like there are still ways I could lose my scholarship (uneven section difficulty with bad profs, etc.). If I lost my scholarship it would negate going to SH over some of the other schools I've been accepted to with lower sticker prices. I'm visiting next week so when I talk to students and find out if this is that case I'll be happy to share.

I would also like to know about this. The tuition scholarship is the only reason I am considering Seton Hall, and if it only applies to the section, I would find that strange.

I've offered my advice before, but there are some new people on here who seem to be curious. I have spoken to an alumni who was very happy with Seton Hall. However, he did choose to go there over schools like Cardozo, Brooklyn, St. johns etc. because of the $$ he got from SHU. However, he lost the money. He now has a bit over 100K in debt and doing PI since I think SHU helps out pay off debt for that. He happens to love his PI position though and maintains good relations with the school.

Then I spoke to another 1L at SHU who knows several people who lost their scholarships. Some dropped out completely, some are taking the debt, some are getting parents to pay. That is a lot of "some" if you ask me. These were all people he was friendly with and I doubt he could be friendly with everyone enough to know this type of info.

Finally, I know another guy who actually turned down NYU for SHU full ride. He did maintain his scholly all 3 years and is working for a big firm in the city. He liked SHU.

I believe a school can stack their sections withOUT the 50% curve only effecting that section. In other words, if your section is stacked, you're receiving a grade based on the curve of that section, but the grade earned will be measured up against the rest of the class. Thus, the grade is still susceptible to stacking regardless of the 50% stipulation pertaining to the entire class vs. the section. I don't know if I am explaining this clearly, but I think stacking is for sure a real thing at SHU even if the stipulation is measuring the class overall. They rely on this system. The stips are non-negotiable.

I would not assume at all that if you can't make it in top 50% here b.c. it is "ranked" in the 70s you can't make it as a lawyer and therefore you should make the decision to go because of the $$. For that kind of thinking, perhaps one should not be a lawyer; certainly not a judge. I also don't necessarily think one should just go to another school at sticker over SHU w/ money because it is "ranked" higher either.

Fef619

Postby Fef619 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:15 am

bernie shmegma wrote:
Corinne wrote:

I would also like to know about this. The tuition scholarship is the only reason I am considering Seton Hall, and if it only applies to the section, I would find that strange.

I've offered my advice before, but there are some new people on here who seem to be curious. I have spoken to an alumni who was very happy with Seton Hall. However, he did choose to go there over schools like Cardozo, Brooklyn, St. johns etc. because of the $$ he got from SHU. However, he lost the money. He now has a bit over 100K in debt and doing PI since I think SHU helps out pay off debt for that. He happens to love his PI position though and maintains good relations with the school.

Then I spoke to another 1L at SHU who knows several people who lost their scholarships. Some dropped out completely, some are taking the debt, some are getting parents to pay. That is a lot of "some" if you ask me. These were all people he was friendly with and I doubt he could be friendly with everyone enough to know this type of info.

Finally, I know another guy who actually turned down NYU for SHU full ride. He did maintain his scholly all 3 years and is working for a big firm in the city. He liked SHU.

I believe a school can stack their sections withOUT the 50% curve only effecting that section. In other words, if your section is stacked, you're receiving a grade based on the curve of that section, but the grade earned will be measured up against the rest of the class. Thus, the grade is still susceptible to stacking regardless of the 50% stipulation pertaining to the entire class vs. the section. I don't know if I am explaining this clearly, but I think stacking is for sure a real thing at SHU even if the stipulation is measuring the class overall. They rely on this system. The stips are non-negotiable.

I would not assume at all that if you can't make it in top 50% here b.c. it is "ranked" in the 70s you can't make it as a lawyer and therefore you should make the decision to go because of the $$. For that kind of thinking, perhaps one should not be a lawyer; certainly not a judge. I also don't necessarily think one should just go to another school at sticker over SHU w/ money because it is "ranked" higher either.

Thanks for this info. Does anyone know if there is an ASD coming up perhaps sometime in May?

Corinne

Postby Corinne » Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:32 pm

bernie shmegma wrote:
Corinne wrote:

Thanks for your response! I appreciate all the research you shared with us! I had also e-mailed Laura Dauchy from Admissions and she said that "we actually make sure there is an even distribution of scholarship students in each class to ensure you are not competing against each other." She also said this: "Beyond the fact that we make sure numerically we have an even distribution of scholarship people, the rest of the student body is assigned in a random process." Hopefully, that's some reinforcement for all of us :)

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:13 pm

Corinne wrote:Thanks for your response! I appreciate all the research you shared with us! I had also e-mailed Laura Dauchy from Admissions and she said that "we actually make sure there is an even distribution of scholarship students in each class to ensure you are not competing against each other." She also said this: "Beyond the fact that we make sure numerically we have an even distribution of scholarship people, the rest of the student body is assigned in a random process." Hopefully, that's some reinforcement for all of us :)

An even distribution of scholarships students? Or an even distribution of students with each kind of scholarship?

One section could have 20 people with 35K/yr schollies

Another has 20 people with 15k/yr schollies

Equal number of scholarship students but, arguably, its going to be stiffer competition in that first section and more at stake. I'm just speculating of course.

bernie shmegma

Postby bernie shmegma » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:10 pm

scruffs mcguff wrote:
Corinne wrote:Thanks for your response! I appreciate all the research you shared with us! I had also e-mailed Laura Dauchy from Admissions and she said that "we actually make sure there is an even distribution of scholarship students in each class to ensure you are not competing against each other." She also said this: "Beyond the fact that we make sure numerically we have an even distribution of scholarship people, the rest of the student body is assigned in a random process." Hopefully, that's some reinforcement for all of us :)

An even distribution of scholarships students? Or an even distribution of students with each kind of scholarship?

One section could have 20 people with 35K/yr schollies

Another has 20 people with 15k/yr schollies

Equal number of scholarship students but, arguably, its going to be stiffer competition in that first section and more at stake. I'm just speculating of course.

That is one point. Another point is the fact that they consciously arbitrate over class composition in any way as opposed to blindly and randomly. Sketch McSketchers

Fef619

Postby Fef619 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 9:43 pm

What are people thinking in terms of housing options?

amclane

Postby amclane » Sat Apr 24, 2010 11:48 am

Fef619 wrote:What are people thinking in terms of housing options?

I'm planning to live in Newark my first year. It's not the best, but I don't want to commute very far.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:19 pm

Finally got in via snail mail. Crappy $ award. Will send withdrawal form on Monday. Plus, I hate SHU (only applied in case I got rejected everywhere) and now I can say I purposely chose not to go there :D.

Fef619

Postby Fef619 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:33 pm

amclane wrote:
Fef619 wrote:What are people thinking in terms of housing options?

I'm planning to live in Newark my first year. It's not the best, but I don't want to commute very far.

Yup same...my father's law firm is located in Newark, he was telling me of some new apartment buildings in Newark that were very nice..

Fef619

Postby Fef619 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:35 pm

keg411 wrote:Finally got in via snail mail. Crappy $ award. Will send withdrawal form on Monday. Plus, I hate SHU (only applied in case I got rejected everywhere) and now I can say I purposely chose not to go there :D.

On what basis do you dislike SHU? And where will you attend?

amclane

Postby amclane » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:41 pm

keg411 wrote:Finally got in via snail mail. Crappy $ award. Will send withdrawal form on Monday. Plus, I hate SHU (only applied in case I got rejected everywhere) and now I can say I purposely chose not to go there :D.

your smugness is greatly appreciated, thank you.

Fef619

Postby Fef619 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 12:43 pm

amclane wrote:

Ya, he's a doosh. Probably got denied from SHU.

keg411

Postby keg411 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:01 pm

Fef619 wrote:
amclane wrote:

Um, I got accepted. See above. Don't like the school and have my reasons. I applied as a super-safety.

Fef619

Postby Fef619 » Sat Apr 24, 2010 1:05 pm

keg411 wrote:
Fef619 wrote:
amclane wrote:

Um, I got accepted. See above. Don't like the school and have my reasons. I applied as a super-safety.

I will be interning for Chris Christie this summer, we will see what he has to say about your animosity towards Seton Hall, lol. Probably a good thing I don't know you personally.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”