Seton Hall Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pink_law14

New

Re: Seton Hall

Post by pink_law14 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:22 pm

i think im just gonna give up hope. its seriously been foreverrrr. and I have a $500 deposit due Thurs :?

scruffs mcguff

Bronze

Post by scruffs mcguff » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:28 pm

I went complete 2-23 FWIW. They say you should get a decision in 4-6 weeks so you waiting since 1-23 is pretty ridiculous. If you can pay your deposit online then I guess you still have ~1 week to wait. :cry:

mmmadeli

New

Post by mmmadeli » Fri Apr 09, 2010 12:45 pm

Hmm, everyone got the Chancellor scholarship? I am a Full Tuition Scholar -- I guess those are rarer than I thought. But I'm probably going to withdraw and go to UCLA (or Rutgers if I decide to go cheap, I really don't think Seton Hall is in the running for me), so that should free up some more money.

kaydish21

Bronze

Post by kaydish21 » Sat Apr 10, 2010 8:45 pm

Did anyone go to the ASD today? Can anyone give feedback?

NJ914

New

Post by NJ914 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:37 pm

Went to the ASD on Saturday. Had to leave after lunch, missed the afternoon "walkabout" but was okay with that. I was actually really impressed with the whole thing...the Dean spoke well and the day was interesting. The mock class was slightly painful as several kids didn't seem to understand that the point of it was to question assumptions using the Socratic method, and not for students with no legal background at all to have the answers to a famous case from the 19th century.

It's pricey to go there but the strength of the alumni network is a big selling point. I still have to visit Rutgers, and I just got waitlisted at Cardozo today so I have no idea what I'll be doing. But yes, I was very impressed with the whole thing. They seem to really emphasize being involved in every student's life, and very anti-bureaucratic as far as being able to talk with the higher-ups and everything.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

keemos

Bronze

Post by keemos » Mon Apr 12, 2010 2:38 pm

just sent my withdrawal in the mail 35K/year going to someone else hopefully

scruffs mcguff

Bronze

Post by scruffs mcguff » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:23 pm

Accepted today via snail mail. 15k per year with top 50%.

yeahyeah2121

New

Post by yeahyeah2121 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:33 pm

In today with 35k a year for top 50%. This is making things interesting... Has anyone had any success with getting a deposit deadline moved back? $500 is due on Thursday and that seems a little quick given the fact that I just heard and haven't visited.

scruffs mcguff

Bronze

Post by scruffs mcguff » Mon Apr 12, 2010 7:35 pm

yeahyeah2121 wrote:In today with 35k a year for top 50%. This is making things interesting... Has anyone had any success with getting a deposit deadline moved back? $500 is due on Thursday and that seems a little quick given the fact that I just heard and haven't visited.
I know right? I'm going to send an email to Dave tonight because there is no way it can be due Thursday when we just got it today. Please keep me updated if you find anything out about that also.

Usually schools have deposits due X days after acceptance so I think something like April 30 makes more sense.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

amclane

New

Post by amclane » Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:50 pm

According to the leaked rankings, SHU jumped to 72 this year.

pink_law14

New

Post by pink_law14 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:51 pm

anyone else still waiting? Complete as of 1/28... what are they doing with my app?!

bitlrc

Bronze

Post by bitlrc » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:52 pm

amclane wrote:According to the leaked rankings, SHU jumped to 72 this year.
top school in NJ

scruffs mcguff

Bronze

Post by scruffs mcguff » Tue Apr 13, 2010 4:53 pm

yeahyeah2121 wrote:In today with 35k a year for top 50%. This is making things interesting... Has anyone had any success with getting a deposit deadline moved back? $500 is due on Thursday and that seems a little quick given the fact that I just heard and haven't visited.
Emailed someone today about this... got the reply that the date was wrong on my letter and it is May 1st for the recent acceptances. But she did say that she checked my file so you may want to email someone as well, but I imagine it's the same.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Fef619

New

Post by Fef619 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:35 pm

Still waiting on Seton Hall....hoping to get an answer this week.... or at the beginning of next week.....taking a while. A lot of people have been saying bad things about Seton Hall on TLS. Can people explain to me why? It seems like a very respectable school. I know people seem to dislike NJ. I'm from NJ so I suppose I wouldn't mind spending the next 3 yrs there. Thoughts about this?

scruffs mcguff

Bronze

Post by scruffs mcguff » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:35 pm

I'd like an opinion on this also. Part of me just thinks it's some TLS-elitism + it being in NJ but I don't get the same sense of hate for Rutgers. I am from NC so I have no real opinion of Newark, New Jersey, or Seton Hall. If someone can elighten me on this I would appreciate it.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:40 pm

scruffs mcguff wrote:I'd like an opinion on this also. Part of me just thinks it's some TLS-elitism + it being in NJ but I don't get the same sense of hate for Rutgers. I am from NC so I have no real opinion of Newark, New Jersey, or Seton Hall. If someone can elighten me on this I would appreciate it.
I'm from NJ.

It's because Seton Hall cost $$$$ and RU costs $$. SHU is larger and has a larger PT program. A lot of people pay sticker at Seton Hall (40k/year + NJ COL) for job prospects that do not match up with the debt load. Hence, more angry SHU grads than RU grads (since the RU grads did not take on as much debt and you can get in-state tuition at RU 1L year).

jerzgrl630

Bronze

Post by jerzgrl630 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:45 pm

scruffs mcguff wrote:I'd like an opinion on this also. Part of me just thinks it's some TLS-elitism + it being in NJ but I don't get the same sense of hate for Rutgers. I am from NC so I have no real opinion of Newark, New Jersey, or Seton Hall. If someone can elighten me on this I would appreciate it.
I was generally of this opinion. However, on jdunderground there are a lot of former students who seem to despise it. I think they inflate their employment numbers by placing people in really bad, low paying jobs. I was extremely tempted to go to SHU but when I weighed my options, all things being somewhat equal, I couldn't shake the horror stories from former grads.

That said, there is no telling what these people expected. If they all went to SHU expecting big law jobs in NY, then they were just delusional to begin with. I've spoken to people who go there and seem very happy, and then there are people who went there and seem to hate it. The opinions are just such a mixed bag :|

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:48 pm

My hunch is that the issue comes from grads who went there expecting NYC, but I could be wrong. I just sent in my withdrawl yesterday so hopefully someone gets my scholarship money.

scruffs mcguff

Bronze

Post by scruffs mcguff » Tue Apr 13, 2010 6:57 pm

keg411 wrote:I'm from NJ.

It's because Seton Hall cost $$$$ and RU costs $$. SHU is larger and has a larger PT program. A lot of people pay sticker at Seton Hall (40k/year + NJ COL) for job prospects that do not match up with the debt load. Hence, more angry SHU grads than RU grads (since the RU grads did not take on as much debt and you can get in-state tuition at RU 1L year).
That's a valid point. But what if price of tuition were equal for a given person? I still feel like people on here would say go RU over SHU. But maybe I'm wrong?
jerzgrl630 wrote:I was generally of this opinion. However, on jdunderground there are a lot of former students who seem to despise it. I think they inflate their employment numbers by placing people in really bad, low paying jobs. I was extremely tempted to go to SHU but when I weighed my options, all things being somewhat equal, I couldn't shake the horror stories from former grads.
This also. But do we know that other schools do not inflate employment numbers? While I agree it only takes a few horror stories to make someone uneasy about going there, I'm sure there are people from many schools who could provide some. But the attitude and vibes I get from the people on TLS are almost enough to make me take it off the board.

Also, thanks for all the replies folks.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:03 pm

scruffs mcguff wrote:
keg411 wrote: I'm from NJ.

That's a valid point. But what if price of tuition were equal for a given person? I still feel like people on here would say go RU over SHU. But maybe I'm wrong?

SHU doesn't give stipulation-free scholarships. Therefore, you fall below Top 40% , you pay sticker or quit. If you went to RU and lost a scholarship the debt would not be crippling... from SHU it would be.

SHU also curves to a 2.8 (B-) where RU curves to around a 3.0 (B). So people may be a little more freaked about a less generous curve.

scruffs mcguff

Bronze

Post by scruffs mcguff » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:04 pm

Thanks a lot for the info keg.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:05 pm

keg411 wrote:
scruffs mcguff wrote:

SHU doesn't give stipulation-free scholarships. Therefore, you fall below Top 40% , you pay sticker or quit. If you went to RU and lost a scholarship the debt would not be crippling... from SHU it would be.

SHU also curves to a 2.8 (B-) where RU curves to around a 3.0 (B). So people may be a little more freaked about a less generous curve.
My scholarship @ SH was contingent on me maintaining a 3.0.. are you saying that's top 40% not top 50%

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 7:07 pm

bceagles182 wrote:
keg411 wrote:
scruffs mcguff wrote:

My scholarship @ SH was contingent on me maintaining a 3.0 (top 50% not top 40%)
3.0 is not Top 50%; see what I just posted on the curve; SHU curves to a 2.8... most people will receive B-'s. A 3.0 is above median.

jerzgrl630

Bronze

Post by jerzgrl630 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:42 pm

My scholarship was top 50% with no GPA stipulation. Do they give different stips?

PitchO20

Bronze

Post by PitchO20 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:04 pm

NJ914 wrote:Went to the ASD on Saturday. Had to leave after lunch, missed the afternoon "walkabout" but was okay with that. I was actually really impressed with the whole thing...the Dean spoke well and the day was interesting. The mock class was slightly painful as several kids didn't seem to understand that the point of it was to question assumptions using the Socratic method, and not for students with no legal background at all to have the answers to a famous case from the 19th century.

It's pricey to go there but the strength of the alumni network is a big selling point. I still have to visit Rutgers, and I just got waitlisted at Cardozo today so I have no idea what I'll be doing. But yes, I was very impressed with the whole thing. They seem to really emphasize being involved in every student's life, and very anti-bureaucratic as far as being able to talk with the higher-ups and everything.
I attended as well. Impressed but too pricey. Thought it was pretty funny that someone asked the Dean what he thought about law school rankings at the 'ask the dean' session.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”