IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
discobabe

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby discobabe » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:32 pm

joining thread! :D

dutchstriker

Postby dutchstriker » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:37 pm

Hello all! Can't wait to visit in early March. CLS is now my number one after receiving the Hamilton!

Tofu

Postby Tofu » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:39 pm

dutchstriker wrote:Hello all! Can't wait to visit in early March. CLS is now my number one after receiving the Hamilton!

guess i'll be seeing you there!

holborn

Postby holborn » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:42 pm

radgrad wrote:
julesm2200 wrote:
mochafury wrote:In Saturday via the vomit-colored envelope (VCE) of lore. In case anyone else is a nerd and already pored through the admitted students' website, is anyone else appalled at the rent? I live in New York in a better neighborhood than Morningside and I'm still in sticker shock at the price of the "heavily-subsidized" residences...

How much were they again? I glanced at everything but was still in shock so nothing sank in.

YES mocha- i vommed all over when i saw what they're charging for apartments (couldn't find the envelope in the mess...)

i also live in nyc and can vouch for the ridiculousity of the prices: over 1k for a bedroom in a 3bdr, 1,700 for a room in a 2 bdr, and like 2,500+ for a studio i think (this is all from memory). i mean, maybe stuff gets *real* pricey right by 115, but if you head a few blocks uptown, i think these rents would be super steep.

wait, what? thats ridiculous.
I really wanted to live by the law school, but I cant really justify those prices...
Last edited by holborn on Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

radgrad

Postby radgrad » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:48 pm

julesm2200 wrote:
radgrad wrote:
julesm2200 wrote:
mochafury wrote:In Saturday via the vomit-colored envelope (VCE) of lore. In case anyone else is a nerd and already pored through the admitted students' website, is anyone else appalled at the rent? I live in New York in a better neighborhood than Morningside and I'm still in sticker shock at the price of the "heavily-subsidized" residences...

How much were they again? I glanced at everything but was still in shock so nothing sank in.

YES mocha- i vommed all over when i saw what they're charging for apartments (couldn't find the envelope in the mess...)

i also live in nyc and can vouch for the ridiculousity of the prices: over 1k for a bedroom in a 3bdr, 1,700 for a room in a 2 bdr, and like 2,500+ for a studio i think (this is all from memory). i mean, maybe stuff gets *real* pricey right by 115, but if you head a few blocks uptown, i think these rents would be super steep.

wait, what? thats ridiculous. I live in a studio in the east village and dont pay over 1500.
I really wanted to live by the law school, but I cant really justify those prices...

OKAY, large-ish edit: that was only for the fanciest-looking building... i just looked at the thing again, and it looks like prices at other buildings get much more reasonable (efficiencies/studios like 1000-1500ish i think... and a bit lower for apartment shares). So false-ish alarm, and apologies. I was just so freaked out when I read those other prices...

Tofu

Postby Tofu » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:54 pm

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:57 pm

me too.

holborn

Postby holborn » Mon Jan 25, 2010 2:58 pm

radgrad wrote:OKAY, large-ish edit: that was only for the fanciest-looking building... i just looked at the thing again, and it looks like prices at other buildings get much more reasonable (efficiencies/studios like 1000-1500ish i think... and a bit lower for apartment shares). So false-ish alarm, and apologies. I was just so freaked out when I read those other prices...

haha ok. that makes it a little better. Although the retardedly expensive building does look like an amazing place to live...

humdrum

Postby humdrum » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:01 pm

julesm2200 wrote:
nixxers wrote:why is the asw on wednesday and thursday? wtf... don't people usually have obligations during the week? i have classes that I can't really miss...

yeah its kind of silly. also, the march one conflicts with one of nyu's asw (the one i signed up for. damnit)

ugh yes. i signed up for the same asw at nyu. and the april one conflicts w/ berkeley's asw (which i also signed up for).

holborn

Postby holborn » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:08 pm

humdrum wrote:
julesm2200 wrote:
nixxers wrote:why is the asw on wednesday and thursday? wtf... don't people usually have obligations during the week? i have classes that I can't really miss...

yeah its kind of silly. also, the march one conflicts with one of nyu's asw (the one i signed up for. damnit)

ugh yes. i signed up for the same asw at nyu. and the april one conflicts w/ berkeley's asw (which i also signed up for).

one option (which might help if you have to fly to nyc) is to do columbia wed, split and do columbia in the morning and nyu in the afternoon (or some combination) thursday and then nyu friday. not ideal, but better than not seeing one of them.

Tofu

Postby Tofu » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:22 pm

what days are the ASWs, anyways?

lz06

Postby lz06 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:24 pm

Not that I've been admitted yet, but does the admitted students website mention anything about travel subsidys for the ASW?

dutchstriker

Postby dutchstriker » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:29 pm

I'll definitely be splitting time between Columbia and NYU during the ASW. Doesn't make sense to travel to NYC twice just so I can take in a few more lectures or panels or whatever goes on.

humdrum

Postby humdrum » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:35 pm

julesm2200 wrote:
one option (which might help if you have to fly to nyc) is to do columbia wed, split and do columbia in the morning and nyu in the afternoon (or some combination) thursday and then nyu friday. not ideal, but better than not seeing one of them.

or i can try to switch to the march 25-26 asw at nyu. i live in the city. would you consider doing this?

Columbia's asws are March 3-4 or April 7-8

holborn

Postby holborn » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:38 pm

humdrum wrote:
julesm2200 wrote:

or i can try to switch to the march 25-26 asw at nyu. i live in the city. would you consider doing this?

I live in Manhattan so I'm considering that. I'm also just incredibly lazy right now and don't have the energy to contact nyu to change it. haha

does anyone know if march 25-26 conflicts with any other schools?

dutchstriker

Postby dutchstriker » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:40 pm

julesm2200 wrote:
humdrum wrote:
julesm2200 wrote:

I live in Manhattan so I'm considering that. I'm also just incredibly lazy right now and don't have the energy to contact nyu to change it. haha

One of Michigan's, one of Duke's, and one of Georgetown's, just off the top of my head.

humdrum

Postby humdrum » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:41 pm

julesm2200 wrote:
humdrum wrote:
julesm2200 wrote:

it conflicts w/ Penn (March 26-27)

holborn

Postby holborn » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:43 pm

well thats perfect. I havent heard from Michigan yet, but if i got in I would want to go in march. But i also don't want to jinx myself there, so i wont start planning around that quite yet.

Dont you think these schools would coordinate somehow? Many people go to multiple ASWs and peer schools all holding them at the same time doesn't help anyone.
Last edited by holborn on Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

humdrum

Postby humdrum » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:49 pm

julesm2200 wrote:well thats perfect. I havent heard from Michigan yet, but if i got in I would want to go in march (im from ann arbor and havent seen my family in ages). But i also don't want to jinx myself there, so i wont start planning around that quite yet.

Dont you think these schools would coordinate somehow? Many people go to multiple ASWs and peer schools all holding them at the same time doesn't help anyone.

Yea, I remember there being less overlap last year among the top schools. Maybe ITE law schools feel less inclined to be accommodating?

holborn

Postby holborn » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:54 pm

humdrum wrote:Yea, I remember there being less overlap last year among the top schools. Maybe ITE law schools feel less inclined to be accommodating?

Prehaps. But the schools could be screwing themselves over also. If a student would have potentially gone somewhere if he/she had visited, but then never had the opportunity due to previously scheduled ASWs, then the school loses out.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:39 pm

So happy to be able to join this thread :mrgreen:

Looks like I'll be at the ASW in early March

a.shoshana

Postby a.shoshana » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:43 pm

Absolutely 100% my first choice.

I'm visiting Harvard and NYU in March just to be sure (and appease my parents) but... I'll probably be seeing you in Morningside Heights in August. :-D

a.shoshana

Postby a.shoshana » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:45 pm

Oh and btw... I know that it's early but... I'm looking at living in Columbia housing, and I'm looking for someone (or two people) that keep kosher who would be interested in sharing an apartment. PM me!

The Dan

Postby The Dan » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:55 pm

:D

Foozle

Postby Foozle » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:56 pm

IN!

Probably my top choice without including financial considerations.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”