IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CG614

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby CG614 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:37 pm

remz wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
Tofu wrote:
blue5385 wrote:just set up my Columbia email account...this feels so official! :D

edit: Does anyone know how to set up the email account so all mail gets forwarded to your gmail/another account? thanks!!

http://uni.columbia.edu/

log-in, then "e-mail forwarding"

thanks Tofu!

Does anyone know how to set up forwarding for our firstname.lastname@law.columbia.edu addresses? I use Gmail and forwarding works fine from the UNI@columbia.edu account but doesn't seem to work from the first.lastname one. Anyone else having this issue or know how to set up forwarding? Thanks.

How did you get a firstname.lastname law school email address?

remz

Postby remz » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:11 am

CG614 wrote:How did you get a firstname.lastname law school email address?

Log into LawNet (http://www.law.columbia.edu/lawnet). Click on your profile. It will be listed underneath your name.

Tofu

Postby Tofu » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:14 am

CG614 wrote:
remz wrote:Does anyone know how to set up forwarding for our firstname.lastname@law.columbia.edu addresses? I use Gmail and forwarding works fine from the UNI@columbia.edu account but doesn't seem to work from the first.lastname one. Anyone else having this issue or know how to set up forwarding? Thanks.

You automatically get it; it basically forwards to your UNI address.

Did you figure out your problem yet, remz?

remz

Postby remz » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:20 am

Tofu wrote:Did you figure out your problem yet, remz?

Nope still havent figured it out yet. I was under the impression that any mail sent to firstname.lastname automatically gets forwarded to the UNI address. I have Gmail forwarding set up on my UNI address. I sent an email to my UNI address and it showed up in my Gmail as it should. Then I tried to send an email to my firstname.lastname but it didn't forward to my Gmail. Any ideas?

Tofu

Postby Tofu » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:30 am

remz wrote:Nope still havent figured it out yet. I was under the impression that any mail sent to firstname.lastname automatically gets forwarded to the UNI address. I have Gmail forwarding set up on my UNI address. I sent an email to my UNI address and it showed up in my Gmail as it should. Then I tried to send an email to my firstname.lastname but it didn't forward to my Gmail. Any ideas?

The "firstname.lastname to UNI to Gmail" is how the forwarding works for me, and I think that's how the process is supposed to be. I don't know why it's not working for you :(.

CG614

Postby CG614 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:34 am

Tofu wrote:
CG614 wrote:
remz wrote:Does anyone know how to set up forwarding for our firstname.lastname@law.columbia.edu addresses? I use Gmail and forwarding works fine from the UNI@columbia.edu account but doesn't seem to work from the first.lastname one. Anyone else having this issue or know how to set up forwarding? Thanks.

Thanks! Did not know that it existed. Can we send e-mails from it, or is it just a shell?

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:38 am

remz wrote:

Log into LawNet (http://www.law.columbia.edu/lawnet). Click on your profile. It will be listed underneath your name.

which login is the lawnet login? is it the intials + random number one?

Tofu

Postby Tofu » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:39 am

CG614 wrote:
Tofu wrote:
CG614 wrote:

Thanks! Did not know that it existed. Can we send e-mails from it, or is it just a shell?

To change your "From:" address for your UNI address, just go to Options -> Personal Information. It should let you change your "From:" and "Reply-to:" addresses.

To change my "From:" address for Gmail, I used --LinkRemoved--.

somewhatwayward wrote:
remz wrote:

which login is the lawnet login? is it the intials + random number one?

It should be your law school username and password.

remz

Postby remz » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:44 am

Tofu wrote:
remz wrote:Nope still havent figured it out yet. I was under the impression that any mail sent to firstname.lastname automatically gets forwarded to the UNI address. I have Gmail forwarding set up on my UNI address. I sent an email to my UNI address and it showed up in my Gmail as it should. Then I tried to send an email to my firstname.lastname but it didn't forward to my Gmail. Any ideas?

The "firstname.lastname to UNI to Gmail" is how the forwarding works for me, and I think that's how the process is supposed to be. I don't know why it's not working for you :(.

Is there a place to go to set the firstname.lastname to forward to UNI or Gmail? Or does any email sent to firstname.lastname automatically forward to UNI?

Tofu

Postby Tofu » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:46 am

remz wrote:
Tofu wrote:

Is there a place to go to set the firstname.lastname to forward to UNI or Gmail? Or does any email sent to firstname.lastname automatically forward to UNI?

I'm GUESSING that any e-mail sent to the firstname.lastname address automatically gets forwarded to the UNI address. That's what some people on the previous class threads have said, at least.

remz

Postby remz » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:57 am

Tofu wrote:I'm GUESSING that any e-mail sent to the firstname.lastname address automatically gets forwarded to the UNI address. That's what some people on the previous class threads have said, at least.

Yeah it doesn't seem to be working with me for Gmail.

I have my UNI set up to forward to my Gmail. It works fine and all my UNI email goes to Gmail. However, none of my firstname.lastname emails forward to Gmail. To check up on this I logged into CubMail and both my UNI and firstname.lastname email messages are there. The question is why aren't my firstname.lastname emails forwarding to Gmail?

AppsAbound

Postby AppsAbound » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:08 pm

swc65 wrote:
remz wrote:I'm moving in the 9th. Is that early compared to most other people?

Also, was anyone else here able to contact UAH and postpone their first month’s payment until loans arrive? With that being said, is anyone worried that loans won’t arrive by the time the first month’s rent is due?

Early? I am moving on Friday the 23rd! of July.

Did they give you a really hard time about it? I am getting there on during orientation, before the legal methods class starts and they are making it seem like its the end of the world.....

CG614

Postby CG614 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:12 pm

AppsAbound wrote:
swc65 wrote:
remz wrote:I'm moving in the 9th. Is that early compared to most other people?

Also, was anyone else here able to contact UAH and postpone their first month’s payment until loans arrive? With that being said, is anyone worried that loans won’t arrive by the time the first month’s rent is due?

Early? I am moving on Friday the 23rd! of July.

Did they give you a really hard time about it? I am getting there on during orientation, before the legal methods class starts and they are making it seem like its the end of the world.....

July.

Alyssa

Postby Alyssa » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:17 pm

I'm not getting either my uni@columbia.edu or my first.last@law.columbia.edu emails in cubmail because my autoforwarding is set to not keep a copy in cubmail.

But only the uni@columbia.edu emails are being forwarded and I am losing all the first.last@law.columbia.edu emails completely. So, I guess I need to keep copies in cubmail to see those. :(

remz

Postby remz » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:00 pm

Alyssa wrote:I'm not getting either my uni@columbia.edu or my first.last@law.columbia.edu emails in cubmail because my autoforwarding is set to not keep a copy in cubmail.

But only the uni@columbia.edu emails are being forwarded and I am losing all the first.last@law.columbia.edu emails completely. So, I guess I need to keep copies in cubmail to see those. :(

Okay same here. Forwarding seems to work for my UNI email but not my firstname.lastname email.

Alyssa

Postby Alyssa » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:16 pm

YAY! :D

It's forwarding all of it now. I guess I just have to keep the copy in my cubmail.

irie

Postby irie » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:08 pm

been playing with this firstname.lastname@law.columbia.edu thingy and no emails are getting through to my cubmail. I've sent a couple dummy emails using my gmail account to see if they show up. The funny thing is, I haven't gotten any delivery-failure notifications, which means the emails are getting through to *somewhere* but not showing up in cubmail.

anyone else having this problem?

jumpinjackflash

Postby jumpinjackflash » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:10 pm

Hi all, random q:
Does anyone in or moving in to Lenfest know if an apt on seventh floor facing garden will get good sunlight? or is it going to be obstructed by the building across from the garden?
thanks!

Antipodean

Postby Antipodean » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:33 pm

Rising 2L here. If I recall correctly, your firstname.lastname@law.columbia.edu address gets set up significantly later than your UNI address; the former's probably some kind of prerequisite for the activation of the latter.

Long story short - don't worry if your firstname.lastname address isn't working yet; it's a problem that will resolve itself with time.

lawyerlover

Postby lawyerlover » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:52 pm

does anyone here have any advice for going into the admissions office... i am 3rd reserve at cls and thinking of going to the admissions office tomorrow

swc65

Postby swc65 » Sun Aug 01, 2010 10:22 pm

jumpinjackflash wrote:Hi all, random q:
Does anyone in or moving in to Lenfest know if an apt on seventh floor facing garden will get good sunlight? or is it going to be obstructed by the building across from the garden?
thanks!

I am on the other side of the courtyard and we get good sunlight in the morning until early afternoon. Then it's not so great.

irie

Postby irie » Mon Aug 02, 2010 12:33 am

Antipodean wrote:Rising 2L here. If I recall correctly, your firstname.lastname@law.columbia.edu address gets set up significantly later than your UNI address; the former's probably some kind of prerequisite for the activation of the latter.

Long story short - don't worry if your firstname.lastname address isn't working yet; it's a problem that will resolve itself with time.

yeah, thanks for the tip, it seems to have resolved itself sometime during the past couple of days :)

hoopsguy6

Postby hoopsguy6 » Mon Aug 02, 2010 5:21 am

Look yourself up on the student directory to see if you firstname.lastname@law.columbia.edu address is up yet. I didn't realize mine was up until I stumbled upon my student directory page (I was bored, don't judge me).

rx3r

Postby rx3r » Thu Aug 05, 2010 9:35 pm

Hmm my firstname.lastname@law.columbia.edu still isn't forwarding to my gmail. >:(

holborn

Postby holborn » Fri Aug 06, 2010 1:00 pm

rx3r wrote:Hmm my firstname.lastname@law.columbia.edu still isn't forwarding to my gmail. >:(

what I did was set up my gmail to retrieve my mail from my columbia.edu account (under settings ->accounts and import). So then it will gather all the firstname.lastname@law.columbia.edu mail thats sent to your cubmail. Not perfect, but a solution until you can figure out how to get it to forward (which I also have not yet figured out).

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”