IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
groundkontrol

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby groundkontrol » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:34 pm

When do people plan on moving in? When does orientation week begin? I think our pass/fail classes begin the 18th?

Dtackpat75

Postby Dtackpat75 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:47 pm

groundkontrol wrote:When do people plan on moving in? When does orientation week begin? I think our pass/fail classes begin the 18th?

On the housing application I had to select 3 preferable move in "weeks" so I don't know yet.

groundkontrol

Postby groundkontrol » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:53 pm

Okay cool. What day does orientation start?

viking138

Postby viking138 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:03 pm

groundkontrol wrote:Okay cool. What day does orientation start?

Pretty sure it's August 16.

I'm moving in during July since my SO starts work then and New York City > small rural town for my summer.

CG614

Postby CG614 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:14 pm

Depositing tonight. See you all this fall!

wjnahill

Postby wjnahill » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:16 pm

when is the housing app due?

groundkontrol

Postby groundkontrol » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:29 pm

viking138 wrote:

I'm moving in during July since my SO starts work then and New York City > small rural town for my summer.

Haha only a 2 day orientation? We start class on the 18th I think.

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:56 pm

groundkontrol wrote:
viking138 wrote:

Haha only a 2 day orientation? We start class on the 18th I think.

Yeah, but I think the only class you take during your first two weeks is a P/NP "Legal Methods" class. In a way, it's like a 2+ week orientation. I like how CLS breaks you in as a 1L.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:07 pm

Does anyone know when we get our housing assignments and move-in dates?

My goal is to send in my deposit this week, but it makes me so nervous picking a law school once and for all knowing there's no going back...

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:13 pm

blue5385 wrote:Does anyone know when we get our housing assignments and move-in dates?

My goal is to send in my deposit this week, but it makes me so nervous picking a law school once and for all knowing there's no going back...

Sending a deposit is not once-and-for-all. You can change your mind later although you'll lose the deposit.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:16 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
blue5385 wrote:Does anyone know when we get our housing assignments and move-in dates?

Sending a deposit is not once-and-for-all. You can change your mind later although you'll lose the deposit.

I dunno...I feel like it is once-and-for all with CLS since their deposit deadline is later than almost everyone else's and they don't allow you to put down multiple deposits. If I change my mind after May 1st, I wouldn't have anywhere else to go since the deadlines for all other schools I'm considering will have lapsed (all one of them).

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:23 pm

blue5385 wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:

I dunno...I feel like it is once-and-for all with CLS since their deposit deadline is later than almost everyone else's and they don't allow you to put down multiple deposits. If I change my mind after May 1st, I wouldn't have anywhere else to go since the deadlines for all other schools I'm considering will have lapsed (all one of them).

what other school are you considering? Chicago? maybe talking out the different positives and negatives of each school will help you make that final call :) unless you've already made a thread about that, in which case ignore my suggestion!

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:28 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:

what other school are you considering? Chicago? maybe talking out the different positives and negatives of each school will help you make that final call :) unless you've already made a thread about that, in which case ignore my suggestion!

Yup, UofC is the other school. It's the more convenient/common-sense option and falls well within my comfort zone, since Chicago is my home base, but I feel really drawn to CLS over UofC and will probably end up choosing it (with a little more pushing from my family/friends :) ).

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:18 pm

blue5385 wrote:Yup, UofC is the other school. It's the more convenient/common-sense option and falls well within my comfort zone, since Chicago is my home base, but I feel really drawn to CLS over UofC and will probably end up choosing it (with a little more pushing from my family/friends :) ).

Do you want to spend the rest of your life explaining to hot chicks @ the parties that Chicago IS a highly ranked law school? Go with Columbia and enjoy the lay prestige.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
blue5385 wrote:Yup, UofC is the other school. It's the more convenient/common-sense option and falls well within my comfort zone, since Chicago is my home base, but I feel really drawn to CLS over UofC and will probably end up choosing it (with a little more pushing from my family/friends :) ).

Do you want to spend the rest of your life explaining to hot chicks @ the parties that Chicago IS a highly ranked law school? Go with Columbia and enjoy the lay prestige.

haha I'm a girl, so this didn't really occur to me...

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:27 pm

blue5385 wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:

Ok that totally changes the situation. Do you want to spend the rest of your life trash talking NYC vs. Chicago w/o ever having lived in NY? Go with Columbia and get first hand experience to back up your Chicago vs. NY pizza argument.

neimanmarxist

Postby neimanmarxist » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:29 pm

blue5385 wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:

classic.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 5:32 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
blue5385 wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:

Ok that totally changes the situation. Do you want to spend the rest of your life trash talking NYC vs. Chicago w/o ever having lived in NY? Go with Columbia and get first hand experience to back up your Chicago vs. NY pizza argument.

You're absolutely right. I have an idea that NY pizza is floppy/foldable/generally weird, but I can't prove this for sure until I've visited numerous pizza places in NY...

highprofessionalism

Postby highprofessionalism » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:15 pm

So, going back to financial aid, for those of you that were talking about it a page ago: are you all referring to your 3 year award when you say you're getting $50K, for example?

Finally got my NYU award today and it's 50K over three years. Would be nice to get just as much or more from Columbia, but we'll see.

highprofessionalism

Postby highprofessionalism » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:18 pm

blue5385 wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:

You're absolutely right. I have an idea that NY pizza is floppy/foldable/generally weird, but I can't prove this for sure until I've visited numerous pizza places in NY...

Btw, I go to the U of C now for undergrad. Screw Chicago-style. NY pizza FTW.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:20 pm

highprofessionalism wrote:So, going back to financial aid, for those of you that were talking about it a page ago: are you all referring to your 3 year award when you say you're getting $50K, for example?

Finally got my NYU award today and it's 50K over three years. Would be nice to get just as much or more from Columbia, but we'll see.

Awesome on the NYU award ^^

I started a CLS finaid thread if anyone is interested.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=115273

Also I had to call them and get mine emailed because they were taking too long. The letter they emailed was dated today, but when I called they stated they had not reviewed my file yet. :/

parker09

Postby parker09 » Wed Apr 21, 2010 5:32 am

Just to check: If I submit my deposit to Columbia, I can still stay on waitlists at other schools, right? I can only find a policy on multiple deposits (they don't like them), but nothing about waitlists or still-pending schools.

Also: There's no way Columbia will match $45k at Mich or $60k at Duke, right? Even given that the differences are really $20k more each, given cost of living?

highprofessionalism

Postby highprofessionalism » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:16 am

parker09 wrote:Just to check: If I submit my deposit to Columbia, I can still stay on waitlists at other schools, right? I can only find a policy on multiple deposits (they don't like them), but nothing about waitlists or still-pending schools.

Also: There's no way Columbia will match $45k at Mich or $60k at Duke, right? Even given that the differences are really $20k more each, given cost of living?

I'm pretty sure we can stay on waitlists at other schools. I mean, no offense to Columbia, but I'm staying on the Yale waitlist as long as possible (or as short as possible... :wink: ).

As to the money, you could give it a shot, but it seems unlikely...?

iminlstrick

Postby iminlstrick » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:19 am

So, if we haven't received our financial aid package before the deposit deadline, are we supposed to pay the deposit and then wait for it...and if we don't like it lose the deposit money? That seems ridiculous?

protokurios

Postby protokurios » Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:43 am

As close as it is to the deadline, there's still 10 days left...so hopefully you get it any day now!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”