IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
groundkontrol

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby groundkontrol » Sun Apr 18, 2010 9:54 pm

protokurios wrote:Did anybody who didn't request expedited decisions get their financial aid letter yet? I was accepted first round and haven't received anything yet... :/

Just got my package today. It is date April 15th. I live in NYC.

KG_CalGuy

Postby KG_CalGuy » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:02 pm

groundkontrol wrote:
protokurios wrote:Did anybody who didn't request expedited decisions get their financial aid letter yet? I was accepted first round and haven't received anything yet... :/

Just got my package today. It is date April 15th. I live in NYC.

Didn't get it today, but on Thursday the financial aid office told me that they would be sending things out either Friday or Monday

swc65

Postby swc65 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 10:26 pm

I am glad there is some movement with finaid!

Will be checking the mailbox frantically tomorrow.

parker09

Postby parker09 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:12 am

Got CLS financial aid letter via email (I'm abroad and asked them to email it, though they never replied to my request email). The email reads, "In the interest of time, we are e-mailing you a copy of the financial aid award letter that we are placing in the mail." Not sure if they realize it's late for everyone, or they're doing it cause I'm like at the end of the world.

Anyway, I will say that need-based does exist, because my #'s don't qualify me for any thinly-disguised-as-need-but-is-really-merit-based.

Edit: was in first round of decisions (I think... got accepted in Jan, at any rate), turned in my fin aid docs a week or so before the march 1 deadline, and did not request expedited $ decision.
Last edited by parker09 on Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dtackpat75

Postby Dtackpat75 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:45 am

Just submitted my seat deposit hope to see you all in Morningside Heights next year.

Foozle

Postby Foozle » Mon Apr 19, 2010 2:01 pm

Just got my financial aid letter with a small grant. Pretty happy, submitting my seat deposit soon.

mochafury

Postby mochafury » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:24 pm

Apologies if this is well-established...but does Columbia play ball in terms of matching offers from other (CCNMVPB) schools? Or at least, do they up their offer if not match?

CG614

Postby CG614 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:54 pm

Just got my Finaid decision with a nice grant! Need based aid does exist! :-D And NYU gave me nothing. See you all at CLS next year! :-D

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:17 pm

mochafury wrote:Apologies if this is well-established...but does Columbia play ball in terms of matching offers from other (CCNMVPB) schools? Or at least, do they up their offer if not match?

CLS claims that it doesn't match, but there's evidence that they sometimes offer at least partial merit matches for NYU and Chicago.

muahawhawhaw

Postby muahawhawhaw » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:24 pm

Dignan wrote:
mochafury wrote:Apologies if this is well-established...but does Columbia play ball in terms of matching offers from other (CCNMVPB) schools? Or at least, do they up their offer if not match?

CLS claims that it doesn't match, but there's evidence that they sometimes offer at least partial merit matches for NYU and Chicago.

They raised my offer from 0 to 30K when I showed them 50K from NYU. hth

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:40 pm

muahawhawhaw wrote:
Dignan wrote:

They raised my offer from 0 to 30K when I showed them 50K from NYU. hth
Last edited by of Benito Cereno on Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

protokurios

Postby protokurios » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:02 pm

Just got my fin aid letter!!! Columbia is amazing! I'm with CG614...need-based aid FTW!! PM me for details. CLS here I come!

highprofessionalism

Postby highprofessionalism » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:24 pm

So this is pretty strange, but I got accepted today. Applied ED. Deferred. Accepted. Since the deferral though, I've been wooed by other schools and am more torn.

I see many of you are getting sweet financial aid deals, which would maybe help me lean back toward Columbia, but who knows if I'll even get to see financial aid info anytime soon... Yikes.

jl2032

Postby jl2032 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:29 pm

highprofessionalism wrote:So this is pretty strange, but I got accepted today. Applied ED. Deferred. Accepted. Since the deferral though, I've been wooed by other schools and am more torn.

I see many of you are getting sweet financial aid deals, which would maybe help me lean back toward Columbia, but who knows if I'll even get to see financial aid info anytime soon... Yikes.

Fill out the forms pronto...

I was also recently accepted and if you look at the financial aid form, it says you are not required to put down your deposit until you know what your financial aid award is... so, I'm assuming that means you get an extension on the deposit day if you don't hear before then... (I'd confirm this with them closer to deposit day)

Also, they may rush to get you an award decision if you have other deadlines coming up...

I'm waiting on both NYU and Columbia financial aid info...

holborn

Postby holborn » Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:34 pm

just to offer another perspective, Columbia gave me $0 when I showed them a 45k offer from Chicago. Not sure what goes into their matching decisions...

KG_CalGuy

Postby KG_CalGuy » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:20 pm

Financial aid letter today in Southern CA. 25k (NYU gave me $0). #s were 173/3.87

HTH

highprofessionalism

Postby highprofessionalism » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:07 am

jl2032 wrote:
highprofessionalism wrote:So this is pretty strange, but I got accepted today. Applied ED. Deferred. Accepted. Since the deferral though, I've been wooed by other schools and am more torn.

I was also recently accepted and if you look at the financial aid form, it says you are not required to put down your deposit until you know what your financial aid award is... so, I'm assuming that means you get an extension on the deposit day if you don't hear before then... (I'd confirm this with them closer to deposit day)

Also, they may rush to get you an award decision if you have other deadlines coming up...

Well, I was admitted via e-mail today (or yesterday, I suppose), and haven't received the financial aid form from them yet. That should be coming in the snail mail package. I did find the form online though (http://www.law.columbia.edu/jd_applican ... roll/forms ), but it doesn't mention anything about not being required to put down a deposit until after I receive an aid aware. Is this the wrong form? I may have jumped the gun by filling it out already, but I figured I should do my best to get this out ASAP. Plus, it seems to be a-okay to me, but I have no point of reference...

Sigh. I too am waiting on both NYU and Columbia. I've been waiting for NYU for sooooo long, too. These guys are really cuttin' it close and I don't like it.

KG_CalGuy

Postby KG_CalGuy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:19 am

Pretty much everything Columbia sends you is taken directly from the website. It really is ridiculous how much money they waste

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:31 am

KG_CalGuy wrote:Pretty much everything Columbia sends you is taken directly from the website. It really is ridiculous how much money they waste

Yeah, but it makes me feel so loved!

parker09

Postby parker09 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 3:37 am

maudlinstreet wrote:
KG_CalGuy wrote:Pretty much everything Columbia sends you is taken directly from the website. It really is ridiculous how much money they waste

+1! Also, the website isn't glossy with a slick, shiny cover.

CG614

Postby CG614 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:13 am

maudlinstreet wrote:

+2

Series70

Postby Series70 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:16 am

^ Yeah, +3. I credit Columbia's propaganda offensive in helping to sway me from NYU.

jl2032

Postby jl2032 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:58 am

highprofessionalism wrote:
jl2032 wrote:

Well, I was admitted via e-mail today (or yesterday, I suppose), and haven't received the financial aid form from them yet. That should be coming in the snail mail package. I did find the form online though (http://www.law.columbia.edu/jd_applican ... roll/forms ), but it doesn't mention anything about not being required to put down a deposit until after I receive an aid aware. Is this the wrong form? I may have jumped the gun by filling it out already, but I figured I should do my best to get this out ASAP. Plus, it seems to be a-okay to me, but I have no point of reference...

Sigh. I too am waiting on both NYU and Columbia. I've been waiting for NYU for sooooo long, too. These guys are really cuttin' it close and I don't like it.

I did the same thing - filling out the forms online and emailing it to them with my tax forms, my parents', etc. the day I heard instead of waiting for the forms.

This is from the admitted students website under "Enrolling at Columbia":

For Financial Aid Grant Applications
If you have not already done so, complete the Financial Aid Questionnaire, located in the Forms section of this website or the Financial Aid section of the Admitted Student Handbook, and submit it to the Financial Aid Office by March 1, 2010, or immediately after receiving your offer of admission. Financial aid award decisions for materials submitted and completed by March 1 are sent beginning in late March and early April.

Note: You do not need to accept Columbia's offer of admission until you have received your award decision, provided your financial aid application was completed in a timely manner.

Under the "Dates to Remember" on the same section it says:

Note: Students applying for financial aid grants will be assigned deposit deadlines when notified of their grant decision

viking138

Postby viking138 » Tue Apr 20, 2010 10:21 am

Wow got my financial aid yesterday. Again, I have to echo what everyone has said, Columbia does need-based aid. I had already sent in my deposit and they're still giving me 50k (I'm a non-URM with a 170, 3.8 so it's completely need-based I'm thinking). I'm in love...

Edit: For those who are interested, I received the award via email. The finaid office needed an extra form or two from my parents so they only reached a decision last week. I called yesterday afternoon to ask for my financial aid award and they emailed it to me 10 minutes later.

KG_CalGuy

Postby KG_CalGuy » Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:04 pm

Series70 wrote:^ Yeah, +3. I credit Columbia's propaganda offensive in helping to sway me from NYU.

What has swayed me away from NYU (thus far, haven't decided yet), is their horrible employment statistics page, which consists of two lines summarizing grad. employment % and a bunch of graphs detailing SUMMER employment for 2Ls. That's it.
Last edited by KG_CalGuy on Tue Apr 20, 2010 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”