IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
groundkontrol
Posts: 244
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:25 am

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby groundkontrol » Thu Apr 15, 2010 4:28 pm


The $74k is what Columbia has stated for '10-'11.

Tuition + Fees + Books alone are $53,705. So outside of that $20k per year on EVERYTHING else puts you right at their estimated Cost of Attendance. (Their room and board estimate is $16,500 btw)


Where did you get $74K from? Is it in the information package they sent out?

User avatar
Dtackpat75
Posts: 217
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:28 pm

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby Dtackpat75 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:20 am

groundkontrol wrote:

The $74k is what Columbia has stated for '10-'11.

Tuition + Fees + Books alone are $53,705. So outside of that $20k per year on EVERYTHING else puts you right at their estimated Cost of Attendance. (Their room and board estimate is $16,500 btw)


Where did you get $74K from? Is it in the information package they sent out?


I saw it in my financial aid letter. It is a $3000 increase over last year, which was to be expected.

itsmytime10
Posts: 162
Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:37 am

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby itsmytime10 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:58 am

Does Columbia notify only by snail mail?

User avatar
irie
Posts: 325
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:50 pm

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby irie » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:02 pm

all I can say is... thank God for Obama's health care plan. will save me at least having to pay for health insurance during 2L and Spring Semester of 1L. ^_______^

User avatar
of Benito Cereno
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:40 am

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby of Benito Cereno » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:03 pm

irie wrote:all I can say is... thank God for Obama's health care plan. will save me at least having to pay for health insurance during 2L and Spring Semester of 1L. ^_______^

how so?

User avatar
AngryAvocado
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby AngryAvocado » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:04 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
irie wrote:all I can say is... thank God for Obama's health care plan. will save me at least having to pay for health insurance during 2L and Spring Semester of 1L. ^_______^

how so?


Piggybacking on parent's plan, probably. I believe you can do it until you're 26 now.

(Bonus points for alliteration, btw)

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby blue5385 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:07 pm

AngryAvocado wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:
irie wrote:all I can say is... thank God for Obama's health care plan. will save me at least having to pay for health insurance during 2L and Spring Semester of 1L. ^_______^

how so?


Piggybacking on parent's plan, probably. I believe you can do it until you're 26 now.

(Bonus points for alliteration, btw)


+1, the ability to stay on my parents' plan for the next few years is a godsend :D

User avatar
jl2032
Posts: 264
Joined: Tue Oct 28, 2008 3:58 pm

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby jl2032 » Fri Apr 16, 2010 2:21 pm

my parents don't have insurance :(

but the school's insurance isn't that expensive... i think i'm paying about the same at work, maybe more...

protokurios
Posts: 196
Joined: Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:49 am

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby protokurios » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:01 am

Did anybody who didn't request expedited decisions get their financial aid letter yet? I was accepted first round and haven't received anything yet... :/

viking138
Posts: 223
Joined: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:55 pm

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby viking138 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:13 am

protokurios wrote:Did anybody who didn't request expedited decisions get their financial aid letter yet? I was accepted first round and haven't received anything yet... :/


Same here! Apparently they needed an extra form from my parents which my parents sent in right away when they were notified but now I think I'll have to wait even longer...

However I stopped by during the April ASD and the financial aid officer I spoke with said that they should "reach a decision" and notify me soon...so if there are no problems with your app you should hear even sooner!

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby blue5385 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 12:58 pm

Got a HLS waitlist, /cycle, will probably be heading to CLS in the fall. See you guys there!! :D

User avatar
irie
Posts: 325
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:50 pm

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby irie » Sat Apr 17, 2010 2:03 pm

blue5385 wrote:
AngryAvocado wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:
irie wrote:all I can say is... thank God for Obama's health care plan. will save me at least having to pay for health insurance during 2L and Spring Semester of 1L. ^_______^

how so?


Piggybacking on parent's plan, probably. I believe you can do it until you're 26 now.

(Bonus points for alliteration, btw)


+1, the ability to stay on my parents' plan for the next few years is a godsend :D


yeah, im turning 24 this summer, so i will only get 1.5 years of benefit from this since it kicks into effect on January 1, 2011. but anyone who is coming straight from undergrad should be able to milk their parents' health insurance (assuming you have this option) until you turn 26.

User avatar
Sogui
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:32 am

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby Sogui » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:11 pm

I'll be 22.5 yrs old going in to Columbia this fall (just waitlisted at HLS with no JR1, not really hopeful there)

One thing that was a little intimidating visiting CLS this winter was just how OLD everyone looked. I felt like a little kid compared to most of the guys there.

Any other young-ins here?

User avatar
neimanmarxist
Posts: 418
Joined: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:41 am

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby neimanmarxist » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:14 pm

LOL. When I visited columbia, I thought everyone looked like they were 12. :mrgreen:

User avatar
of Benito Cereno
Posts: 748
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 6:40 am

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby of Benito Cereno » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:29 pm

,.,
Last edited by of Benito Cereno on Mon May 17, 2010 7:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby Dignan » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:34 pm

neimanmarxist wrote:LOL. When I visited columbia, I thought everyone looked like they were 12. :mrgreen:

+1.

And Sogui: 22.5? You're still counting half years? You're starting law school, not the third grade.

User avatar
Sogui
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:32 am

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby Sogui » Sat Apr 17, 2010 4:57 pm

Dignan wrote:
neimanmarxist wrote:LOL. When I visited columbia, I thought everyone looked like they were 12. :mrgreen:

+1.

And Sogui: 22.5? You're still counting half years? You're starting law school, not the third grade.


Well there is a difference between some fresh-faced 22 year old stepping in to class this August compared to the grizzled 1000-yard stare 22.9 year olds that will be shuffling in. I felt that it was an important clarification to make.

Tofu
Posts: 249
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:18 pm

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby Tofu » Sat Apr 17, 2010 8:11 pm

Sogui wrote:I'll be 22.5 yrs old going in to Columbia this fall (just waitlisted at HLS with no JR1, not really hopeful there)

One thing that was a little intimidating visiting CLS this winter was just how OLD everyone looked. I felt like a little kid compared to most of the guys there.

Any other young-ins here?


i turn 22 in november, so we're fellow youngins!

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby blue5385 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 5:53 pm

Sogui wrote:Well there is a difference between some fresh-faced 22 year old stepping in to class this August compared to the grizzled 1000-yard stare 22.9 year olds that will be shuffling in. I felt that it was an important clarification to make.


stop it Sogui, you're making me feel so old for being 22.83 years old when we start class... :(

User avatar
maudlinstreet
Posts: 360
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby maudlinstreet » Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:23 pm

blue5385 wrote:
Sogui wrote:Well there is a difference between some fresh-faced 22 year old stepping in to class this August compared to the grizzled 1000-yard stare 22.9 year olds that will be shuffling in. I felt that it was an important clarification to make.


stop it Sogui, you're making me feel so old for being 22.83 years old when we start class... :(

I'm already 23... :|

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby blue5385 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:47 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:I'm already 23... :|


:shock:

I guess I'll recognize you by your walker and dentures at orientation.
Last edited by blue5385 on Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Hattori Hanzo
Posts: 659
Joined: Wed Oct 07, 2009 12:17 am

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:47 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:
blue5385 wrote:stop it Sogui, you're making me feel so old for being 22.83 years old when we start class... :(

I'm already 23... :|


Why are you guys lurking online instead of looking for good retirement homes in FL?

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby blue5385 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 7:49 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:
blue5385 wrote:stop it Sogui, you're making me feel so old for being 22.83 years old when we start class... :(

I'm already 23... :|


Why are you guys lurking online instead of looking for good retirement homes in FL?


good point...I'm starting to rethink my decision to embark on a law career so late in life, I hear firms prefer to hire youngins over us senior citizens.

User avatar
clintonius
Posts: 1239
Joined: Mon Feb 08, 2010 1:50 am

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby clintonius » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:16 pm

Well fuck. I'll be 25 when I start this fall. If I manage to land biglaw, do you think they'll give me an expedited partner track, considering I'll be knocking at death's door before long anyways?

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby blue5385 » Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:19 pm

clintonius wrote:Well fuck. I'll be 25 when I start this fall. If I manage to land biglaw, do you think they'll give me an expedited partner track, considering I'll be knocking at death's door before long anyways?


not to be harsh, but I don't think this will be much of an issue for you since you may just die of extreme old age before graduation.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Keilz, lazarzhr, Yahoo [Bot], yuppitsme and 25 guests