IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Hattori Hanzo

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:11 pm

How did you guys get your PID, username and password for the housing app?

Edit: also does anyone know where I can find the floor plans? Particularly Lionsgate's.

UnitarySpace

Postby UnitarySpace » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:26 pm

The housing login info will be emailed to you.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Thu Apr 08, 2010 11:44 pm

UnitarySpace wrote:The housing login info will be emailed to you.

How long does it take? I was admitted in Jan and never got the email :( Have to call them tomorrow.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 10:47 am

Hattori Hanzo wrote:

How long does it take? I was admitted in Jan and never got the email :( Have to call them tomorrow.

I called and asked for mine too, since the website/acceptance packet said it would be emailed within a few days and I hadn't gotten it after six weeks. They're pretty nice about giving it to you over the phone.

andreea7

Postby andreea7 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 1:49 pm

Just wanted to say hi to those in this thread who went to the ASD yesterday at Columbia.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:42 pm

blue5385 wrote:
Hattori Hanzo wrote:

I called and asked for mine too, since the website/acceptance packet said it would be emailed within a few days and I hadn't gotten it after six weeks. They're pretty nice about giving it to you over the phone.

Called and got mine too. I also asked the housing liaison about the timing of app submission and this is what she said: "Finally, please know, as long as you turn in your housing application by the housing deadline, you will have the same chances as everyone else. No application are processed, and the lottery does not take place until the deadline. "

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 4:49 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:I also asked the housing liaison about the timing of app submission and this is what she said: "Finally, please know, as long as you turn in your housing application by the housing deadline, you will have the same chances as everyone else. No application are processed, and the lottery does not take place until the deadline. "

Thanks HH, I was wondering if housing is assigned on a first-come first-served basis...but I guess there was no point in my rushing to get it in, haha.

hiro86

Postby hiro86 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 5:08 pm

Anyone else think it's crazy that people accepted in the first RD batch are still waiting to hear back on financial aid?

zarathustra

Postby zarathustra » Sat Apr 10, 2010 9:30 am

I can't seem to find this information anywhere (perhaps I haven't been looking hard enough): does enrolling at CLS mean that I have to withdraw from schools I haven't heard back from? The admitted students handbook and the website say nothing to this effect, I think.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Sat Apr 10, 2010 11:45 am

zarathustra wrote:I can't seem to find this information anywhere (perhaps I haven't been looking hard enough): does enrolling at CLS mean that I have to withdraw from schools I haven't heard back from? The admitted students handbook and the website say nothing to this effect, I think.

there is no way you have to withdraw, otherwise the whole concept of a waitlist wouldn't be possible. waitlists are where schools draw applicants from once they get a sense of their yield following deposit deadlines; thus, by definition after people have put down deposits. I'd venture a guess that more than half of the WL/admits at HLS every year have put down deposits at CLS.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Sat Apr 10, 2010 6:30 pm

zarathustra wrote:I can't seem to find this information anywhere (perhaps I haven't been looking hard enough): does enrolling at CLS mean that I have to withdraw from schools I haven't heard back from? The admitted students handbook and the website say nothing to this effect, I think.

I was wondering the same. The scholy acceptance form reads something like: I accept the offer and will matriculate in August. It says nothing about withdrawing apps but the matriculation part's got me thinking.

Dtackpat75

Postby Dtackpat75 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:05 pm

Just saying that I visited NYU this weekend. I thought it was awesome. Amazing school with amazng opportunities and a very impressive ASW. That being said I loved Columbia more. Looks like it is going to be Morningside Heights for me. Hope to see you all there!!

smov_operator

Postby smov_operator » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:16 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:

I was wondering the same. The scholy acceptance form reads something like: I accept the offer and will matriculate in August. It says nothing about withdrawing apps but the matriculation part's got me thinking.

You definitely don't have to withdraw from schools you haven't heard back from by 5/1, or schools at which you are waitlisted. You just can't commit to any other school besides Columbia unless you are planning to immediately withdraw from Columbia and/or give up your deposit.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:25 am

so harlan fiske stone scholars have a 3.41 gpa or above. anyone know what the general range for median gpa at cls is? top third? i imagine that its below 3.41.
also I just got some ridiculous huge package from cls filled with all sorts of booklets. must weigh like 5 pounds.

dutchstriker

Postby dutchstriker » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:45 pm

For those who've been given the Hamilton and are weighing their options: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=114287

Tofu

Postby Tofu » Mon Apr 12, 2010 8:15 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:so harlan fiske stone scholars have a 3.41 gpa or above. anyone know what the general range for median gpa at cls is? top third? i imagine that its below 3.41.
also I just got some ridiculous huge package from cls filled with all sorts of booklets. must weigh like 5 pounds.

top third is like 3.41 i think?

median, according to some, is 3.2. others say it's more like 3.28 or so

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Mon Apr 12, 2010 9:16 pm

Me and my SO are looking at couple's housing at either Lenfest or the 116th buildings.

Right now 116th is #1 for being cheaper and closer to the law school and the subway station. However I know nothing about the rooms and the phrase "Early 20th century" makes me hesitant compared to Lenfest's shiny new facilities.

I've seen floor plans and photos of Lenfest but haven't the slightest idea of what I'm getting in to with 116th, anyone have information that might help?

Series70

Postby Series70 » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:20 pm

^ A lot of the buildings near Columbia are pre-war, and those owned by the university are usually well taken care of and very nice. Modernity has its advantages, but there's nothing like pre-war charm, in my opinion :D

clintonius

Postby clintonius » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:02 pm

Just make sure that "pre-war charm" doesn't extend to the HVAC and plumbing systems.

groundkontrol

Postby groundkontrol » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:39 am

I submitted my housing form two weeks ago. I tried to re-access it with the code that was given to me, but no luck. Anyone else having this issue?

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:01 am

Sogui wrote:Me and my SO are looking at couple's housing at either Lenfest or the 116th buildings.

Right now 116th is #1 for being cheaper and closer to the law school and the subway station. However I know nothing about the rooms and the phrase "Early 20th century" makes me hesitant compared to Lenfest's shiny new facilities.

I've seen floor plans and photos of Lenfest but haven't the slightest idea of what I'm getting in to with 116th, anyone have information that might help?

I'm going to go check out those apartments the last week of april and will let you know.

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:33 am

I just received my financial aid notification via email (I had requested it by Penn's scholarship deadline, which was yesterday). I got $25k, which is a nice surprise since I wasn't expecting anything. It seems that the grants are not solely "need based," because my parents definitely disqualify me from that category.

parker09

Postby parker09 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:16 pm

Can anyone who attended this latest ASW post any details? On anything, really, but any comments on students, buildings, profs, and both private and public career services would be much appreciated. I wasn't able to make it (abroad, ugh), but I think I'm learning toward Columbia (today, at least).

chinny123

Postby chinny123 » Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:52 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:
Sogui wrote:Me and my SO are looking at couple's housing at either Lenfest or the 116th buildings.

I'm going to go check out those apartments the last week of april and will let you know.

I heard from current students the Lenfest is a ripoff. From what I've seen, its not worth the exorbitant rent that it's charged.

Sogui

Postby Sogui » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:36 pm

chinny123 wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:

I heard from current students the Lenfest is a ripoff. From what I've seen, its not worth the exorbitant rent that it's charged.

I'd be splitting rent so it wouldn't be as crazy as a single. I should mention that there's a chance she'd end up in China if she gets the Fulbright, so I'm also worried if we decide on Lenfest and then it turns out I'll just be needing a single. Guess I'll put down 116th as my top choice, since I haven't been able to dig up any dirt on 116th.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”