IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
maudlinstreet

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby maudlinstreet » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:37 pm

blue5385 wrote:...and while we are talking about housing, am I the only person who didn't apply for a studio/1 BR? I applied to live in the CLS-specific apartments on 115th St. -- they seemed spacious enough to me at ASW (one guy in particular had a HUGE bedroom all to himself) and the people living there seemed happy enough with their roomies and general living situation. However, I feel like I'm the only person who is voluntarily choosing to live with roommates...

I also put the 115th st. apartments as my first choice :) it's cheaper and I don't think I'll mind having roommates, assuming they're not totally annoying. I actually didn't get a chance to visit, so I'm glad that you have a positive impression of the apartments!

Dtackpat75

Postby Dtackpat75 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:49 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:
blue5385 wrote:...and while we are talking about housing, am I the only person who didn't apply for a studio/1 BR? I applied to live in the CLS-specific apartments on 115th St. -- they seemed spacious enough to me at ASW (one guy in particular had a HUGE bedroom all to himself) and the people living there seemed happy enough with their roomies and general living situation. However, I feel like I'm the only person who is voluntarily choosing to live with roommates...

I also put the 115th st. apartments as my first choice :) it's cheaper and I don't think I'll mind having roommates, assuming they're not totally annoying. I actually didn't get a chance to visit, so I'm glad that you have a positive impression of the apartments!

I will be requesting the same.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:50 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:

Yeah, they were actually pretty nice relative to my expectations. There were three bedrooms of different sizes (the person with the biggest room said he paid more rent than the others, but not much), a living area, a kitchen, and a small dining area. They also come furnished with ugly dorm furniture, which IMO is better than lugging furniture from my house to New York. The only possible problem is the bathroom, since it was small and I personally hate sharing bathrooms with other people, especially girls I won't even know...but I guess I can overcome that for the cheaper rent/ease of meeting people. :)

rx3r

Postby rx3r » Tue Apr 06, 2010 2:58 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:didn't get a chance to look at lionsgate when I visited and am wondering if anyone has pictures or impressions to share? also, does anyone know the price range for an unfurnished 1 bedroom? also, when is the housing assignment process?

Here's the housing website. It has ranges for different types of housing.

http://facilities.columbia.edu/housing/ ... mmodations

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:00 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:also, when is the housing assignment process?

--LinkRemoved--

Mid-June through the beginning of August.

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:00 pm

rx3r wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:didn't get a chance to look at lionsgate when I visited and am wondering if anyone has pictures or impressions to share? also, does anyone know the price range for an unfurnished 1 bedroom? also, when is the housing assignment process?

Here's the housing website. It has ranges for different types of housing.

http://facilities.columbia.edu/housing/ ... mmodations

thanks. its pretty weird that there are no pictures posted of the sorts of rooms.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 3:03 pm

yeah, they should at least post floor plans, if not pictures, for the people who didn't make it out there for the ASW...

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Tue Apr 06, 2010 10:09 pm

so I just sent in my deposit :) hurray! out of curiosity, I was wondering if anyone knew when we would get our Columbia e-mail addresses - have any ED'ers gotten theirs yet? I noticed some people in the facebook group were members of the Columbia network as graduate students, and to do that you need to enter an e-mail address associated with the school, so I posit that some e-mail addresses have been given out! :o

I'm a MASTER DETECTIVE!

of Benito Cereno

Postby of Benito Cereno » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:26 am

maudlinstreet wrote:so I just sent in my deposit :) hurray! out of curiosity, I was wondering if anyone knew when we would get our Columbia e-mail addresses - have any ED'ers gotten theirs yet? I noticed some people in the facebook group were members of the Columbia network as graduate students, and to do that you need to enter an e-mail address associated with the school, so I posit that some e-mail addresses have been given out! :o

I'm a MASTER DETECTIVE!

or they were columbia undergrads who changed their status from undergrad or alum to grad student. there are quite a lot of columbia alums at cls.

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:18 am

maudlinstreet wrote:so I just sent in my deposit :) hurray! out of curiosity, I was wondering if anyone knew when we would get our Columbia e-mail addresses - have any ED'ers gotten theirs yet? I noticed some people in the facebook group were members of the Columbia network as graduate students, and to do that you need to enter an e-mail address associated with the school, so I posit that some e-mail addresses have been given out! :o

I'm a MASTER DETECTIVE!

grats on submitting your deposit (and your super sleuth work)! I will probably be doing so in the next couple weeks, I'm like 60/40 in favor of CLS over Chicago at this point.

georgina

Postby georgina » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:51 am

did anyone who did not notify CLS of pending deadlines receive their financial aid letter? i submitted everything by the deadline but didn't get anything in the mail this week.

humdrum

Postby humdrum » Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:03 pm

yes, I received a letter dated 4/1 on saturday...offering me nothing.

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:34 pm

of Benito Cereno wrote:

I'm a MASTER DETECTIVE!

or they were columbia undergrads who changed their status from undergrad or alum to grad student. there are quite a lot of columbia alums at cls.

I knew someone would say that :P I don't think that's the case for everyone in the FB group though. There are two people with different undergrads (Washington, Cornell) and Columbia as their grad school. I guess it's possible I'm just missing something, though.

Dtackpat75

Postby Dtackpat75 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 2:45 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:
of Benito Cereno wrote:

I'm a MASTER DETECTIVE!

I knew someone would say that :P I don't think that's the case for everyone in the FB group though. There are two people with different undergrads (Washington, Cornell) and Columbia as their grad school. I guess it's possible I'm just missing something, though.

I know I met someone at the ASW that was already working on their MPH. Although they were a Princeton alum.

irie

Postby irie » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:45 pm

humdrum wrote:yes, I received a letter dated 4/1 on saturday...offering me nothing.

same here. i am so bitter at Columbia right now... they didn't even offer or suggest any loan options, just reiterated a federal stafford (which I already knew about), and a short paragraph that basically said "sorry but you need to find $55k more on your own if you want to come here this fall, good luck, kthxbye"

thanks CLS, i'll remember this day when you come asking for donations in 5 years.

muahawhawhaw

Postby muahawhawhaw » Wed Apr 07, 2010 5:34 pm

Just got 30 K from Columbia. Originally got nothing but sent my NYU offer (50k) on Friday and called CLS's finaid office twice.

Stoked and thankful! The one thing that held me back from enrolling was NYU's uber-generous (for my numbers) offer, and now this is mitigated. Still a tough decision, but leaning towards Columbia for now.

spiffypyro

Postby spiffypyro » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:34 pm

Just got my NYU offer matched at Columbia, the day it was about to expire (I got NYU to extend from 4/2 to 4/7). I had only notified Columbia of NYU's offer last Friday, so I'm grateful and surprised that they were so accommodating! Definitely will withdraw from NYU now, but I'm still waiting for pending scholarship decisions from Berkeley.

Hattori Hanzo

Postby Hattori Hanzo » Wed Apr 07, 2010 6:54 pm

spiffypyro wrote:Just got my NYU offer matched at Columbia, the day it was about to expire (I got NYU to extend from 4/2 to 4/7). I had only notified Columbia of NYU's offer last Friday, so I'm grateful and surprised that they were so accommodating! Definitely will withdraw from NYU now, but I'm still waiting for pending scholarship decisions from Berkeley.

Will you go to Cal if they match the other two?

spiffypyro

Postby spiffypyro » Wed Apr 07, 2010 7:22 pm

Hattori Hanzo wrote:
spiffypyro wrote:Just got my NYU offer matched at Columbia, the day it was about to expire (I got NYU to extend from 4/2 to 4/7). I had only notified Columbia of NYU's offer last Friday, so I'm grateful and surprised that they were so accommodating! Definitely will withdraw from NYU now, but I'm still waiting for pending scholarship decisions from Berkeley.

Will you go to Cal if they match the other two?

I actually submitted Duke's offer to Cal. If Cal matches anything I will likely go there, but as it stands now their offer to me is $210K of loans. (I'm also going to their ASD Friday so we'll see if things change then...!)

MTC87

Postby MTC87 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:52 pm

is it normal to still not have heard back re: aid if I applied close to the deadline?

spiffypyro

Postby spiffypyro » Wed Apr 07, 2010 10:52 pm

MTC87 wrote:is it normal to still not have heard back re: aid if I applied close to the deadline?

I think so. I just heard back today and mine was expediated due to another school's deadline.

legalnoeagle

Postby legalnoeagle » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:55 am

I've asked this in the other thread, but just realized that the question should probably be posed in this one.

What's the deadline to sign the letter of intent for scholarship recipients?

georgina

Postby georgina » Thu Apr 08, 2010 10:40 am

MTC87 wrote:is it normal to still not have heard back re: aid if I applied close to the deadline?

yea, i called their office yesterday and was told they're still working on files. i submitted just before the deadline and have not yet heard back either.

parker09

Postby parker09 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:08 pm

Does anyone know if housing is allocated on a first-come, first-served basis? Like if I don't know if I'm going to Columbia yet, should I submit the app anyway or can I wait a few more weeks without risking getting a crappy place/ not my preferences?

blue5385

Postby blue5385 » Thu Apr 08, 2010 1:53 pm

parker09 wrote:Does anyone know if housing is allocated on a first-come, first-served basis? Like if I don't know if I'm going to Columbia yet, should I submit the app anyway or can I wait a few more weeks without risking getting a crappy place/ not my preferences?

No clue if housing spots are first-come, first-served, but you can submit the housing app without making any kind of binding commitment to CLS, according to their website. I haven't submitted my deposit yet, but I submitted the housing app last month since I was also concerned about getting a crappy spot. So even if you're still on the fence, it might not be a bad idea to get it out of the way now.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”