IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
tomhobbes
Posts: 455
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby tomhobbes » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:11 pm

I'm actually starting to feel a little too wanted. I feel like I get mail from Columbia once every three or four days.

User avatar
Dignan
Posts: 1110
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 5:52 pm

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby Dignan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:36 pm

tomhobbes wrote:I'm actually starting to feel a little too wanted. I feel like I get mail from Columbia once every three or four days.

No kidding. I'd like them to cut out the significant production and distribution costs of all of this marketing material and instead apply it towards lower tuition for us for next year.

User avatar
dutchstriker
Posts: 276
Joined: Wed Aug 12, 2009 3:15 pm

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby dutchstriker » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:49 pm

Dignan wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:I'm actually starting to feel a little too wanted. I feel like I get mail from Columbia once every three or four days.

No kidding. I'd like them to cut out the significant production and distribution costs of all of this marketing material and instead apply it towards lower tuition for us for next year.

I don't think tomhobbes cares about the tuition costs.

User avatar
tomhobbes
Posts: 455
Joined: Sat Feb 07, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby tomhobbes » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:50 pm

I just feel like Columbia's stalking me, that's all. Then again, I'm stalking Yale, so we're in a love triangle that will only be complete when Yale pines for Columbia.

zarathustra
Posts: 36
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 4:46 pm

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby zarathustra » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:58 pm

In at Columbia today. So excited. When is fin aid info sent out? I'm hoping they give me a lil bit of $$$!

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby blue5385 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:15 pm

Is anyone going to the ASDs next week? I'm guessing more people are going in April, but I can't get time off work then so March it is for me. Hope to see some fellow TLS-ers there (even though I have no idea who you guys are IRL)

User avatar
lsathalon
Posts: 216
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 2:37 pm

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby lsathalon » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:32 pm

blue5385 wrote:Is anyone going to the ASDs next week? I'm guessing more people are going in April, but I can't get time off work then so March it is for me. Hope to see some fellow TLS-ers there (even though I have no idea who you guys are IRL)


I'll be there! I can't wait!

Tofu
Posts: 249
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 4:18 pm

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby Tofu » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:42 pm

I'll be there, too.

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby blue5385 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:23 am

It should be interesting, see you guys soon! :D

On another note, does anyone know anything about CLS housing other than what's on their website (i.e., has done really in-depth research or know a current student who lives/has lived there)? Do a lot of law students choose that living option? I'm really considering it because I'm from out of town and hunting for an apartment in NYC sounds like an expensive nightmare. I have no clue if it's worth it or good value for my money relative to finding housing on my own, though.

edit: Or if the apartments are furnished....I really hope so.

User avatar
rx3r
Posts: 226
Joined: Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby rx3r » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:26 am

swc65 wrote:
I also hear the LGBT group has some pretty extraordinary bar crawls too! So it sounds like there are bunch of smart gays who like to have fun!

I say these should be the most important factors when deciding on a law schools. Although, some people on this thread have been rating CLSers as 6s. :/

I was trying to be conservative and was generalizing for the class. One can still hope!

User avatar
MartianManhunter
Posts: 133
Joined: Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby MartianManhunter » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:40 am

Does anyone have any info on the Richman Fellowship? I haven't been able to find anything.

a.shoshana
Posts: 101
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 1:43 am

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby a.shoshana » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:12 pm

blue5385 wrote:It should be interesting, see you guys soon! :D

On another note, does anyone know anything about CLS housing other than what's on their website (i.e., has done really in-depth research or know a current student who lives/has lived there)? Do a lot of law students choose that living option? I'm really considering it because I'm from out of town and hunting for an apartment in NYC sounds like an expensive nightmare. I have no clue if it's worth it or good value for my money relative to finding housing on my own, though.

edit: Or if the apartments are furnished....I really hope so.


I've been talking to some current Columbia students/friends of mine, and the general consensus I've gotten is that the housing is worth it if you get the right housing. People say that the housing for law students ranges from fantastic to downright disgusting, and it all depends what happens after you turn in the housing application.

Yes, a lot of students definitely choose that option, because the "better" law housing options are difficult to get. I've heard good things about Lenfest, but also that it's extremely difficult to land a Lenfest apartment. I also know someone who lived in the 116th law building, who really liked it.

If you're willing to do some apartment hunting, you can definitely get a cheaper apartment. My boyfriend pays around $1400 a month, and lives in a much nicer apartment than the $1600-$2000 Columbia ones. With that being said, it IS a nightmare. I certainly don't want to worry about finding an affordable apartment plus getting cable/internet/etc. set up while I'm trying to start law school.

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby blue5385 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:20 pm

a.shoshana wrote:
blue5385 wrote:It should be interesting, see you guys soon! :D

On another note, does anyone know anything about CLS housing other than what's on their website (i.e., has done really in-depth research or know a current student who lives/has lived there)? Do a lot of law students choose that living option? I'm really considering it because I'm from out of town and hunting for an apartment in NYC sounds like an expensive nightmare. I have no clue if it's worth it or good value for my money relative to finding housing on my own, though.

edit: Or if the apartments are furnished....I really hope so.


I've been talking to some current Columbia students/friends of mine, and the general consensus I've gotten is that the housing is worth it if you get the right housing. People say that the housing for law students ranges from fantastic to downright disgusting, and it all depends what happens after you turn in the housing application.

Yes, a lot of students definitely choose that option, because the "better" law housing options are difficult to get. I've heard good things about Lenfest, but also that it's extremely difficult to land a Lenfest apartment. I also know someone who lived in the 116th law building, who really liked it.

If you're willing to do some apartment hunting, you can definitely get a cheaper apartment. My boyfriend pays around $1400 a month, and lives in a much nicer apartment than the $1600-$2000 Columbia ones. With that being said, it IS a nightmare. I certainly don't want to worry about finding an affordable apartment plus getting cable/internet/etc. set up while I'm trying to start law school.


Any idea which apartments were downright disgusting? I'm considering the 116th building, so I'm glad you have heard good things about it. Lenfest looks really nice, but seems expensive relative to the other buildings. I guess you get what you pay for, though.

Apartment hunting in NYC would be a huge hassle for me because I don't live anywhere nearby. I would definitely consider getting an off-campus apartment after 1L, but it would be easier since I would be living there and wouldn't have to fly back and forth to look at places. For now though, CLS housing is my main option.

User avatar
groundkontrol
Posts: 244
Joined: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:25 am

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby groundkontrol » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:46 am

Is anyone planning on living alone or with a roommate? Also, what are the typical prices of the Columbia residences per month?

User avatar
Nom Sawyer
Posts: 933
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 1:28 am

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby Nom Sawyer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:39 am

groundkontrol wrote:Is anyone planning on living alone or with a roommate? Also, what are the typical prices of the Columbia residences per month?


THIS much.... per month

--ImageRemoved--

User avatar
AngryAvocado
Posts: 776
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 11:22 pm

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby AngryAvocado » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:51 am

tomhobbes wrote:I just feel like Columbia's stalking me, that's all. Then again, I'm stalking Yale, so we're in a love triangle that will only be complete when Yale pines for Columbia.


Not to support your ridiculous assertion that CLS may be stalking you, but I actually just got some mail from Columbia letting me know that I was welcome to submit a LOCI in the form of a written guarantee that tomhobbes will attend if I am admitted.
Last edited by AngryAvocado on Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
superserial
Posts: 376
Joined: Fri Sep 11, 2009 2:57 pm

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby superserial » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:52 am

groundkontrol wrote:Is anyone planning on living alone or with a roommate? Also, what are the typical prices of the Columbia residences per month?


Lenfest is around 1700... 115th is around 1100.

User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:32 am

lsathalon wrote:
blue5385 wrote:Is anyone going to the ASDs next week? I'm guessing more people are going in April, but I can't get time off work then so March it is for me. Hope to see some fellow TLS-ers there (even though I have no idea who you guys are IRL)


I'll be there! I can't wait!


i'm going, too!

...regarding housing, i was planning on staying in the apt i am in now if i go to CLS; it is about 10-15 minutes away from CLS by subway...is that unusual? is it disadvantageous socially/academically to not be living in columbia housing? (i'm assuming not really, but maybe some current students can chime in?)

Amelie
Posts: 814
Joined: Sun Jul 26, 2009 12:19 pm

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby Amelie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:50 am

somewhatwayward wrote:
lsathalon wrote:
blue5385 wrote:Is anyone going to the ASDs next week? I'm guessing more people are going in April, but I can't get time off work then so March it is for me. Hope to see some fellow TLS-ers there (even though I have no idea who you guys are IRL)


I'll be there! I can't wait!


i'm going, too!


I'll be there :D

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=105377

User avatar
irie
Posts: 325
Joined: Sun May 31, 2009 9:50 pm

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby irie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:53 am

somewhatwayward wrote:
lsathalon wrote:
blue5385 wrote:Is anyone going to the ASDs next week? I'm guessing more people are going in April, but I can't get time off work then so March it is for me. Hope to see some fellow TLS-ers there (even though I have no idea who you guys are IRL)


I'll be there! I can't wait!


i'm going, too!

...regarding housing, i was planning on staying in the apt i am in now if i go to CLS; it is about 10-15 minutes away from CLS by subway...is that unusual? is it disadvantageous socially/academically to not be living in columbia housing? (i'm assuming not really, but maybe some current students can chime in?)


I raised this question as well on another thread a while back. I live in Manhattan and would ideally like to room with two friends next year, but they both work in midtown so have no reason to be up in morningside heights. I think we will end up finding an apartment in the Upper West Side in the 80s or 90s, which would make my commute about 10-15 minutes as well, depending on time of day. I'm used to commuting 30-40 minutes every morning to work right now from where I live, and I'd be okay staying up at the campus every day from morning til evening, but I'm more worried about the nights when I'll have to stay late at the library, and the infrequent 1 train at that hour.

Would love to hear some feedback, but I don't think current students really browse this thread...

georgina
Posts: 333
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 7:49 pm

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby georgina » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:18 am

maggiebre wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:
lsathalon wrote:
blue5385 wrote:Is anyone going to the ASDs next week? I'm guessing more people are going in April, but I can't get time off work then so March it is for me. Hope to see some fellow TLS-ers there (even though I have no idea who you guys are IRL)


I'll be there! I can't wait!


i'm going, too!


I'll be there :D



yea, me too! and then NYU after :)

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby blue5385 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:43 am

somewhatwayward wrote:
lsathalon wrote:
blue5385 wrote:Is anyone going to the ASDs next week? I'm guessing more people are going in April, but I can't get time off work then so March it is for me. Hope to see some fellow TLS-ers there (even though I have no idea who you guys are IRL)


I'll be there! I can't wait!


i'm going, too!

...regarding housing, i was planning on staying in the apt i am in now if i go to CLS; it is about 10-15 minutes away from CLS by subway...is that unusual? is it disadvantageous socially/academically to not be living in columbia housing? (i'm assuming not really, but maybe some current students can chime in?)


I got an email from NYU housing that said approximately two-thirds of their entering class live in campus housing. I'm not sure about the number of CLS students who do the same, but I'm guessing there is a similar dynamic because of the difficulty of finding affordable housing in NYC. I doubt you'd be at a social disadvantage since you're close enough to CLS to participate in social things with other law students. imo, if you're happy with the place you're living right now, it would probably make the beginning of your 1L year less stressful if you stayed there and didn't have to coordinate moving and such.

blue5385
Posts: 895
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 am

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby blue5385 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:44 am

georgina wrote:
maggiebre wrote:I'll be there :D



yea, me too! and then NYU after :)


I'm going to NYU too! I'm going to be at both CLS days and then go to NYU on the 5th.

also, thanks for creating the ASW thread, maggiebre! I will try to post my ASW-related comments in there from now on :D

jitsrenzo
Posts: 120
Joined: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:48 am

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby jitsrenzo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:53 am

My question is: isn't it better to get off-campus housing close to CLS to get a one-year lease? I'm pretty sure I'll do something in the city for 1L summer, so it only seems to make sense to get a cheaper place I can stay in for the whole year, as opposed to find housing for 3 months, which is very difficult.

Does this make sense or is there some sort of arrangement with CLS that allows students to stay for the summer?
Last edited by jitsrenzo on Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
somewhatwayward
Posts: 1446
Joined: Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:11 pm

irie wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:
i'm going, too!

...regarding housing, i was planning on staying in the apt i am in now if i go to CLS; it is about 10-15 minutes away from CLS by subway...is that unusual? is it disadvantageous socially/academically to not be living in columbia housing? (i'm assuming not really, but maybe some current students can chime in?)


I raised this question as well on another thread a while back. I live in Manhattan and would ideally like to room with two friends next year, but they both work in midtown so have no reason to be up in morningside heights. I think we will end up finding an apartment in the Upper West Side in the 80s or 90s, which would make my commute about 10-15 minutes as well, depending on time of day. I'm used to commuting 30-40 minutes every morning to work right now from where I live, and I'd be okay staying up at the campus every day from morning til evening, but I'm more worried about the nights when I'll have to stay late at the library, and the infrequent 1 train at that hour.

Would love to hear some feedback, but I don't think current students really browse this thread...


i just checked the commute from my place, which is on central park west but further downtown (60s), and it's saying it is only an 11 minute train ride for me (plus walking, so i guess more like a 20 minute commute). i don't take the 1 that much, so i don't know if that's an underestimate, but if you were in the 80s or 90s, it could be shorter than 15 minutes, depending on how close you live to a 1 stop.

the main appeal of staying where i am is that it costs essentially nothing, so i'd really only consider moving if people thought that being close to campus was a major plus.

are you someone who can't study in his/her room? i don't know that i'd want to be there too late in the library either, but i don't really work in the library aside from maybe group projects. hmmmm

I got an email from NYU housing that said approximately two-thirds of their entering class live in campus housing. I'm not sure about the number of CLS students who do the same, but I'm guessing there is a similar dynamic because of the difficulty of finding affordable housing in NYC. I doubt you'd be at a social disadvantage since you're close enough to CLS to participate in social things with other law students. imo, if you're happy with the place you're living right now, it would probably make the beginning of your 1L year less stressful if you stayed there and didn't have to coordinate moving and such.


true, moving is a major pain.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, Christinabruin, emirleee, Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], Leliana, lillawyer2, mmengden, root_beer, spursforever, wiyjkim and 20 guests