IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
maudlinstreet

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Postby maudlinstreet » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:10 pm

YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! IN!!

so excited, this is my #1 choice. I got the envelope + the binder at the same time, dated feb 4th. I am ECSTATIC! I was regretting not applying ED after getting passed over for the 1st wave, but that's all in the past now. THANK GOD!

YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS

Amelie

Postby Amelie » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:17 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS! IN!!

so excited, this is my #1 choice. I got the envelope + the binder at the same time, dated feb 4th. I am ECSTATIC! I was regretting not applying ED after getting passed over for the 1st wave, but that's all in the past now. THANK GOD!

YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS

Haha I love the enthusiasm. Congrats!!!

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:24 pm

maggiebre wrote:

YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS

thanks! :mrgreen: I was just being super dismal about my prospects of getting in after getting passed over the first time, so seeing that huge envelope + the binder in my mailbox made me about die. I actually ripped the envelope getting it out of the mailbox because the stuff was crammed in so tightly :)

swc65

Postby swc65 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:32 pm

maudlinstreet wrote:
maggiebre wrote:

YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS

thanks! :mrgreen: I was just being super dismal about my prospects of getting in after getting passed over the first time, so seeing that huge envelope + the binder in my mailbox made me about die. I actually ripped the envelope getting it out of the mailbox because the stuff was crammed in so tightly :)

Gratz! R u definitely going? If so, see you next year!!

Also were you on hold from ED?

maudlinstreet

Postby maudlinstreet » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:38 pm

swc65 wrote:
maudlinstreet wrote:
maggiebre wrote:

YEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSS

Gratz! R u definitely going? If so, see you next year!!

Also were you on hold from ED?

I'm 99% sure I'll be going - it'd take a buttload of money from u chicago or nyu to even make me consider them.

I actually applied RD. When I talked about getting "passed over," I was talking about when a ton of acceptances happened in late January. :)

irie

Postby irie » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:58 pm

i just came home to find a package from Columbia in the mailbox-- a book titled "Inside New York 2010," which is basically a frommers/lonelyplanet-esque book with a price tag of $16, and a letter from Dean Iwerebon.

nice, cute little touch :lol: you guys now have something to look forward to in the next few days hehe

CardinalRules

Postby CardinalRules » Mon Feb 08, 2010 6:59 pm

irie wrote:i just came home to find a package from Columbia in the mailbox-- a book titled "Inside New York 2010," which is basically a frommers/lonelyplanet-esque book with a price tag of $16, and a letter from Dean Iwerebon.

nice, cute little touch :lol: you guys now have something to look forward to in the next few days hehe

Was the note personalized?

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:03 pm

managamy wrote:
irie wrote:i just came home to find a package from Columbia in the mailbox-- a book titled "Inside New York 2010," which is basically a frommers/lonelyplanet-esque book with a price tag of $16, and a letter from Dean Iwerebon.

Was the note personalized?

Nopers (I got the NYC guide today as well). But I did get the "students will be contacting you via phone" email from them this morning.

swc65

Postby swc65 » Mon Feb 08, 2010 7:04 pm

Yay! These little mailings scattered over the last month get/keep me revved up and excited about this summer!

meowmeow

Postby meowmeow » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:50 am

So is the acceptance via email or letter? I keep reading different things?

parker09

Postby parker09 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:07 am

meowmeow wrote:So is the acceptance via email or letter? I keep reading different things?

Acceptances are via snail mail (unless you're abroad, in which case you get a scanned PDF of the letter via email).

irie

Postby irie » Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:11 pm

meowmeow wrote:So is the acceptance via email or letter? I keep reading different things?

i think the reason you keep reading different things is because early decision applicants received acceptances via email

virginiagirl55

Postby virginiagirl55 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:29 pm

are packages coming to permanent or current addresses? i just need to know if i should stop checking my po box and school and start harassing my parents to check the mailbox at home...

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Wed Feb 10, 2010 5:32 pm

So.... I did not see the email that I would be getting a call from a Columbia student... and then the call came from an unknown number... Now the only calls I get from unknown are from my gf (she's out of the country, so uses skype) and I was half asleep, so I answered groggily in another language and proceeded to be very confused for about a minute...

good thing this happened after they admitted me...

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:20 pm

i got that guidebook thing a couple days ago. i live in nyc, so it might be interesting to see if it gives me suggestions of things to do that i don't know about.

i also got the e-mail about random students calling you....maybe it is bc i have phone phobia, but i'm not sure i want to talk to people i don't know over the phone. wouldn't it be kinda awkward? it is definitely not a job i will be volunteering for next year if i go to columbia.

Tofu

Postby Tofu » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:28 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:i got that guidebook thing a couple days ago. i live in nyc, so it might be interesting to see if it gives me suggestions of things to do that i don't know about.

i also got the e-mail about random students calling you....maybe it is bc i have phone phobia, but i'm not sure i want to talk to people i don't know over the phone. wouldn't it be kinda awkward? it is definitely not a job i will be volunteering for next year if i go to columbia.

it doesn't seem too bad. it should be interesting to speak with students who have some experience or knowledge about cls/nyc haha

Nom Sawyer

Postby Nom Sawyer » Wed Feb 10, 2010 7:24 pm

somewhatwayward wrote:i got that guidebook thing a couple days ago. i live in nyc, so it might be interesting to see if it gives me suggestions of things to do that i don't know about.

it was awkward for me.. see above lol...

but yeah the phone number was unknown too.. so theres no way to even tell before u answer

babaghanouj

Postby babaghanouj » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:26 pm

Nom Sawyer wrote:

it was awkward for me.. see above lol...

but yeah the phone number was unknown too.. so theres no way to even tell before u answer

Yeah, it was awkward, but I appreciated the gesture.

Tofu

Postby Tofu » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:28 pm

babaghanouj wrote:Yeah, it was awkward, but I appreciated the gesture.

Baba ghanoush sometime?

Dignan

Postby Dignan » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:39 pm

Tofu wrote:

it doesn't seem too bad. it should be interesting to speak with students who have some experience or knowledge about cls/nyc haha

Maybe it was just a coincidence, but CLS appeared to do an impressive job of matching me up with someone from a similar background. I am a non-traditional applicant in more ways than one, and the student who called me was non-traditional in almost all the same ways.

It was nice to be able to ask questions of a current student, but it was a little awkward. In the end, it's basically a marketing exercise for Columbia. If you're looking for a balanced perspective (i.e., someone who is willing to say something critical of the school or the neighborhood), you probably aren't going to get it from this call.

babaghanouj

Postby babaghanouj » Wed Feb 10, 2010 9:51 pm

Tofu wrote:
babaghanouj wrote:Yeah, it was awkward, but I appreciated the gesture.

Baba ghanoush sometime?

Haha, you better believe it. I'm sure nyc will have baba ghanoush options galore.

dutchstriker

Postby dutchstriker » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:02 pm

Why is no one calling me? Do they only want people who have to pay tuition to come?

somewhatwayward

Postby somewhatwayward » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:05 pm

well, i have to pay tuition and no one has called me yet. it probably depends on the promptness of whoever is assigned to call you.

bloodonthetracks

Postby bloodonthetracks » Thu Feb 11, 2010 6:49 pm

In -- very surprised, very happy. My listed LSAT score is a retake from low-160's; I thought I had no chance. I hope this gives some optimism to people who are relying on softs. They matter!

muahawhawhaw

Postby muahawhawhaw » Thu Feb 11, 2010 7:32 pm

I got a call from a curent student the other day as well. I'm guessing they do it as a marketing gesture, but to be honest it didn't really work as the guy who called me was really awkward over the phone. I don't see how it can be too difficult to brag/talk about your law school (especially if it's Columbia), but then again I've never cold-called admits myself.

But the free guide to NYC (with squashed letter from the dean) was a great touch. I'm from CA, so given the large chance I attend Columbia I can really use it.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”