IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!! Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
tomhobbes

Bronze

Re: IN AT COLUMBIA LAW SCHOOL!!!!!!

Post by tomhobbes » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:11 pm

I'm actually starting to feel a little too wanted. I feel like I get mail from Columbia once every three or four days.

Dignan

Silver

Post by Dignan » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:36 pm

tomhobbes wrote:I'm actually starting to feel a little too wanted. I feel like I get mail from Columbia once every three or four days.
No kidding. I'd like them to cut out the significant production and distribution costs of all of this marketing material and instead apply it towards lower tuition for us for next year.

dutchstriker

Bronze

Post by dutchstriker » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:49 pm

Dignan wrote:
tomhobbes wrote:I'm actually starting to feel a little too wanted. I feel like I get mail from Columbia once every three or four days.
No kidding. I'd like them to cut out the significant production and distribution costs of all of this marketing material and instead apply it towards lower tuition for us for next year.
I don't think tomhobbes cares about the tuition costs.

tomhobbes

Bronze

Post by tomhobbes » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:50 pm

I just feel like Columbia's stalking me, that's all. Then again, I'm stalking Yale, so we're in a love triangle that will only be complete when Yale pines for Columbia.

zarathustra

New

Post by zarathustra » Mon Feb 22, 2010 9:58 pm

In at Columbia today. So excited. When is fin aid info sent out? I'm hoping they give me a lil bit of $$$!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:15 pm

Is anyone going to the ASDs next week? I'm guessing more people are going in April, but I can't get time off work then so March it is for me. Hope to see some fellow TLS-ers there (even though I have no idea who you guys are IRL)

lsathalon

Bronze

Post by lsathalon » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:32 pm

blue5385 wrote:Is anyone going to the ASDs next week? I'm guessing more people are going in April, but I can't get time off work then so March it is for me. Hope to see some fellow TLS-ers there (even though I have no idea who you guys are IRL)
I'll be there! I can't wait!

Tofu

Bronze

Post by Tofu » Mon Feb 22, 2010 10:42 pm

I'll be there, too.

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:23 am

It should be interesting, see you guys soon! :D

On another note, does anyone know anything about CLS housing other than what's on their website (i.e., has done really in-depth research or know a current student who lives/has lived there)? Do a lot of law students choose that living option? I'm really considering it because I'm from out of town and hunting for an apartment in NYC sounds like an expensive nightmare. I have no clue if it's worth it or good value for my money relative to finding housing on my own, though.

edit: Or if the apartments are furnished....I really hope so.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rx3r

Bronze

Post by rx3r » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:26 am

swc65 wrote:
I also hear the LGBT group has some pretty extraordinary bar crawls too! So it sounds like there are bunch of smart gays who like to have fun!

I say these should be the most important factors when deciding on a law schools. Although, some people on this thread have been rating CLSers as 6s. :/
I was trying to be conservative and was generalizing for the class. One can still hope!

MartianManhunter

Bronze

Post by MartianManhunter » Tue Feb 23, 2010 8:40 am

Does anyone have any info on the Richman Fellowship? I haven't been able to find anything.

a.shoshana

Bronze

Post by a.shoshana » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:12 pm

blue5385 wrote:It should be interesting, see you guys soon! :D

On another note, does anyone know anything about CLS housing other than what's on their website (i.e., has done really in-depth research or know a current student who lives/has lived there)? Do a lot of law students choose that living option? I'm really considering it because I'm from out of town and hunting for an apartment in NYC sounds like an expensive nightmare. I have no clue if it's worth it or good value for my money relative to finding housing on my own, though.

I've been talking to some current Columbia students/friends of mine, and the general consensus I've gotten is that the housing is worth it if you get the right housing. People say that the housing for law students ranges from fantastic to downright disgusting, and it all depends what happens after you turn in the housing application.

Yes, a lot of students definitely choose that option, because the "better" law housing options are difficult to get. I've heard good things about Lenfest, but also that it's extremely difficult to land a Lenfest apartment. I also know someone who lived in the 116th law building, who really liked it.

If you're willing to do some apartment hunting, you can definitely get a cheaper apartment. My boyfriend pays around $1400 a month, and lives in a much nicer apartment than the $1600-$2000 Columbia ones. With that being said, it IS a nightmare. I certainly don't want to worry about finding an affordable apartment plus getting cable/internet/etc. set up while I'm trying to start law school.

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Tue Feb 23, 2010 12:20 pm

a.shoshana wrote:
blue5385 wrote:It should be interesting, see you guys soon! :D

I've been talking to some current Columbia students/friends of mine, and the general consensus I've gotten is that the housing is worth it if you get the right housing. People say that the housing for law students ranges from fantastic to downright disgusting, and it all depends what happens after you turn in the housing application.

Yes, a lot of students definitely choose that option, because the "better" law housing options are difficult to get. I've heard good things about Lenfest, but also that it's extremely difficult to land a Lenfest apartment. I also know someone who lived in the 116th law building, who really liked it.

If you're willing to do some apartment hunting, you can definitely get a cheaper apartment. My boyfriend pays around $1400 a month, and lives in a much nicer apartment than the $1600-$2000 Columbia ones. With that being said, it IS a nightmare. I certainly don't want to worry about finding an affordable apartment plus getting cable/internet/etc. set up while I'm trying to start law school.
Any idea which apartments were downright disgusting? I'm considering the 116th building, so I'm glad you have heard good things about it. Lenfest looks really nice, but seems expensive relative to the other buildings. I guess you get what you pay for, though.

Apartment hunting in NYC would be a huge hassle for me because I don't live anywhere nearby. I would definitely consider getting an off-campus apartment after 1L, but it would be easier since I would be living there and wouldn't have to fly back and forth to look at places. For now though, CLS housing is my main option.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

groundkontrol

Bronze

Post by groundkontrol » Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:46 am

Is anyone planning on living alone or with a roommate? Also, what are the typical prices of the Columbia residences per month?

Nom Sawyer

Silver

Post by Nom Sawyer » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:39 am

groundkontrol wrote:Is anyone planning on living alone or with a roommate? Also, what are the typical prices of the Columbia residences per month?
THIS much.... per month

--ImageRemoved--

AngryAvocado

Silver

Post by AngryAvocado » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:51 am

tomhobbes wrote:I just feel like Columbia's stalking me, that's all. Then again, I'm stalking Yale, so we're in a love triangle that will only be complete when Yale pines for Columbia.
Not to support your ridiculous assertion that CLS may be stalking you, but I actually just got some mail from Columbia letting me know that I was welcome to submit a LOCI in the form of a written guarantee that tomhobbes will attend if I am admitted.
Last edited by AngryAvocado on Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

superserial

Bronze

Post by superserial » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:52 am

groundkontrol wrote:Is anyone planning on living alone or with a roommate? Also, what are the typical prices of the Columbia residences per month?
Lenfest is around 1700... 115th is around 1100.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:32 am

lsathalon wrote:
blue5385 wrote:Is anyone going to the ASDs next week? I'm guessing more people are going in April, but I can't get time off work then so March it is for me. Hope to see some fellow TLS-ers there (even though I have no idea who you guys are IRL)
i'm going, too!

...regarding housing, i was planning on staying in the apt i am in now if i go to CLS; it is about 10-15 minutes away from CLS by subway...is that unusual? is it disadvantageous socially/academically to not be living in columbia housing? (i'm assuming not really, but maybe some current students can chime in?)

Amelie

Silver

Post by Amelie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:50 am

somewhatwayward wrote:
lsathalon wrote:
i'm going, too!
I'll be there :D

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 8&t=105377

irie

Bronze

Post by irie » Wed Feb 24, 2010 10:53 am

somewhatwayward wrote:
lsathalon wrote:
i'm going, too!

...regarding housing, i was planning on staying in the apt i am in now if i go to CLS; it is about 10-15 minutes away from CLS by subway...is that unusual? is it disadvantageous socially/academically to not be living in columbia housing? (i'm assuming not really, but maybe some current students can chime in?)
I raised this question as well on another thread a while back. I live in Manhattan and would ideally like to room with two friends next year, but they both work in midtown so have no reason to be up in morningside heights. I think we will end up finding an apartment in the Upper West Side in the 80s or 90s, which would make my commute about 10-15 minutes as well, depending on time of day. I'm used to commuting 30-40 minutes every morning to work right now from where I live, and I'd be okay staying up at the campus every day from morning til evening, but I'm more worried about the nights when I'll have to stay late at the library, and the infrequent 1 train at that hour.

Would love to hear some feedback, but I don't think current students really browse this thread...

georgina

Bronze

Post by georgina » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:18 am

maggiebre wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:
lsathalon wrote:
i'm going, too!
I'll be there :D
yea, me too! and then NYU after :)

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:43 am

somewhatwayward wrote:
lsathalon wrote:
i'm going, too!

I got an email from NYU housing that said approximately two-thirds of their entering class live in campus housing. I'm not sure about the number of CLS students who do the same, but I'm guessing there is a similar dynamic because of the difficulty of finding affordable housing in NYC. I doubt you'd be at a social disadvantage since you're close enough to CLS to participate in social things with other law students. imo, if you're happy with the place you're living right now, it would probably make the beginning of your 1L year less stressful if you stayed there and didn't have to coordinate moving and such.

blue5385

Silver

Post by blue5385 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:44 am

georgina wrote:
maggiebre wrote:I'll be there :D
yea, me too! and then NYU after :)
I'm going to NYU too! I'm going to be at both CLS days and then go to NYU on the 5th.

also, thanks for creating the ASW thread, maggiebre! I will try to post my ASW-related comments in there from now on :D

jitsrenzo

Bronze

Post by jitsrenzo » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:53 am

My question is: isn't it better to get off-campus housing close to CLS to get a one-year lease? I'm pretty sure I'll do something in the city for 1L summer, so it only seems to make sense to get a cheaper place I can stay in for the whole year, as opposed to find housing for 3 months, which is very difficult.

Does this make sense or is there some sort of arrangement with CLS that allows students to stay for the summer?
Last edited by jitsrenzo on Fri Apr 02, 2010 2:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

somewhatwayward

Silver

Post by somewhatwayward » Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:11 pm

irie wrote:
somewhatwayward wrote:
i'm going, too!

I raised this question as well on another thread a while back. I live in Manhattan and would ideally like to room with two friends next year, but they both work in midtown so have no reason to be up in morningside heights. I think we will end up finding an apartment in the Upper West Side in the 80s or 90s, which would make my commute about 10-15 minutes as well, depending on time of day. I'm used to commuting 30-40 minutes every morning to work right now from where I live, and I'd be okay staying up at the campus every day from morning til evening, but I'm more worried about the nights when I'll have to stay late at the library, and the infrequent 1 train at that hour.

Would love to hear some feedback, but I don't think current students really browse this thread...
i just checked the commute from my place, which is on central park west but further downtown (60s), and it's saying it is only an 11 minute train ride for me (plus walking, so i guess more like a 20 minute commute). i don't take the 1 that much, so i don't know if that's an underestimate, but if you were in the 80s or 90s, it could be shorter than 15 minutes, depending on how close you live to a 1 stop.

the main appeal of staying where i am is that it costs essentially nothing, so i'd really only consider moving if people thought that being close to campus was a major plus.

are you someone who can't study in his/her room? i don't know that i'd want to be there too late in the library either, but i don't really work in the library aside from maybe group projects. hmmmm
I got an email from NYU housing that said approximately two-thirds of their entering class live in campus housing. I'm not sure about the number of CLS students who do the same, but I'm guessing there is a similar dynamic because of the difficulty of finding affordable housing in NYC. I doubt you'd be at a social disadvantage since you're close enough to CLS to participate in social things with other law students. imo, if you're happy with the place you're living right now, it would probably make the beginning of your 1L year less stressful if you stayed there and didn't have to coordinate moving and such.
true, moving is a major pain.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”